30sec Intervals - what intensity?

velobob

Sep 15, 2004
I'd like to hear people's opinions on what intensity to do 30sec intervals at - and # reps / recovery times. I've read recently these two workouts:

a) 3 sets of 8 reps at 110% MAP w 1:00 Recovery between reps and 3:00 recovery between sets

b) 1 set of 12 reps at to 175% Peak Power Output with 4:30 Recovery

My Functional Threshold is 290 Watts and my MAP is 400 Watts and I'm not sure exactly what Peak Power Output means but my CP5sec = 980 Watts but I don't see how I could do 175% of that!!!

thanks in advance

velobob said:
I'd like to hear people's opinions on what intensity to do 30sec intervals at - and # reps / recovery times. I've read recently these two workouts:

a) 3 sets of 8 reps at 110% MAP w 1:00 Recovery between reps and 3:00 recovery between sets

b) 1 set of 12 reps at to 175% Peak Power Output with 4:30 Recovery

My Functional Threshold is 290 Watts and my MAP is 400 Watts and I'm not sure exactly what Peak Power Output means but my CP5sec = 980 Watts but I don't see how I could do 175% of that!!!

thanks in advance

I think it would be very helpful if you addressed this question first: what specific physiological ability or "limiter" are you trying to improve? That will determine the structure of any workout consisting of 30 s intervals, or even whether you should be doing 30 s intervals in the first place.

acoggan said:
I think it would be very helpful if you addressed this question first: what specific physiological ability or "limiter" are you trying to improve? That will determine the structure of any workout consisting of 30 s intervals, or even whether you should be doing 30 s intervals in the first place.
I am trying to improve my power output over time periods of 30secs or less partly for sprinting but also for climbing. I find I am fine on medium steepness gradients (say anything under 10%) but when a climb has short sections that are steeper than that I just get dropped like a rock. I weigh 75kg.

I just got your book as well and it's great. I read it from cover to cover in about 4 days - very concise and well organized - thanks!

velobob said:
I am trying to improve my power output over time periods of 30secs or less partly for sprinting but also for climbing. I find I am fine on medium steepness gradients (say anything under 10%) but when a climb has short sections that are steeper than that I just get dropped like a rock. I weigh 75kg.
How long are the climbs you are getting dropped in total length?

Woofer said:
How long are the climbs you are getting dropped in total length?
they are climbs within climbs if you know what I mean - so I may be on a 1 to 2km climb and hit a 200m section which goes very steep and that's where I get dropped.

velobob said:
they are climbs within climbs if you know what I mean - so I may be on a 1 to 2km climb and hit a 200m section which goes very steep and that's where I get dropped.
Are you fresh or not by the time you get to these climbs?
Have you attempted to analyze one of the rides where you get dropped and recreated some of the circumstances of this in training?
1 to 2 km in what time?
Are you at L5 power by the time you hit the steep sections or still in L4? My WAG is since you are thinking of doing 30 second intervals I assume the intensity is ramped to L6 when you get dropped - so it sounds like your longer L4/L5 intervals still need to be worked on along with a weight reduction. What does your profile look like - is 1 minute power your weakest data point?