31.6mm straight Aluminum Setback Seatpost - Are These Available?

Steve Sr.

Guest
Hello,

I am trying to work out some fit issues with a new bike and will
probably need to go with a different seatpost.

I am using a leather saddle and like the infinite adjustment of the
Thomson on my other bike. Unfortunately, the "bent" Thomson setback
design post won't work since the bend would result in too high a
saddle height.

The other thing to be aware of is that to fit the bike inside my
vehicle the seatpost either has to be lowered all the way or the seat
and post completely removed. This would probably not be good for a
carbon post which is why I'm looking for aluminum.

Right now there seems to be much less of a selection of 31.6mm
seatposts. Maybe someday they will catch up as demand increases. Any
suggestions of what to do now?

Thanks,

Steve

Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to work out some fit issues with a new bike and will
> probably need to go with a different seatpost.
>
> I am using a leather saddle and like the infinite adjustment of the
> Thomson on my other bike. Unfortunately, the "bent" Thomson setback
> design post won't work since the bend would result in too high a
> saddle height.

Get a straight Thompson...

Steve Sr. wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am trying to work out some fit issues with a new bike and will
> probably need to go with a different seatpost.
>
> I am using a leather saddle and like the infinite adjustment of the
> Thomson on my other bike. Unfortunately, the "bent" Thomson setback
> design post won't work since the bend would result in too high a
> saddle height.

Or do you mean the bent part will not allow you to get it low enough,
but you still need a setback SP?

Ritchey and a level.

On 22 Aug 2005 06:06:45 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Steve Sr. wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am trying to work out some fit issues with a new bike and will
>> probably need to go with a different seatpost.
>>
>> I am using a leather saddle and like the infinite adjustment of the
>> Thomson on my other bike. Unfortunately, the "bent" Thomson setback
>> design post won't work since the bend would result in too high a
>> saddle height.

>Or do you mean the bent part will not allow you to get it low enough,
>but you still need a setback SP?

Rght on both counts!

>Ritchey and a level.

Huh???

Steve Sr. wrote:
> On 22 Aug 2005 06:06:45 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>

> >Steve Sr. wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I am trying to work out some fit issues with a new bike and will
> >> probably need to go with a different seatpost.
> >>
> >> I am using a leather saddle and like the infinite adjustment of the
> >> Thomson on my other bike. Unfortunately, the "bent" Thomson setback
> >> design post won't work since the bend would result in too high a
> >> saddle height.

> >Or do you mean the bent part will not allow you to get it low enough,
> >but you still need a setback SP?

> Rght on both counts!
>

> >Ritchey and a level.

> Huh???

So you need a setback seatpost with micro adjust that is setback at the
head, not on the shaft-Ritchey makes a nice series of aluminum
seatposts with these features and use a level to ensure the saddle is
level....

On 23 Aug 2005 06:07:20 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Steve Sr. wrote:
>> On 22 Aug 2005 06:06:45 -0700, "Qui si parla Campagnolo"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:

>> >Or do you mean the bent part will not allow you to get it low enough,
>> >but you still need a setback SP?

>> Rght on both counts!
>>

>> >Ritchey and a level.

>> Huh???

>So you need a setback seatpost with micro adjust that is setback at the
>head, not on the shaft-Ritchey makes a nice series of aluminum
>seatposts with these features and use a level to ensure the saddle is
>level....

Thanks! I'll check out Ritchey. A level is not really necessary. My
butt can tell the difference if the saddle is not at the correct
angle.

Steve