32c tyres on 28c rims

Luke09

Feb 27, 2021
Hello,
I'm new to the forum and cycling in Perth. My wheels say they are made to fit 28c tyres, but I am wondering if it would be not an issue to put 32c tyres on these 28c wheels?
Much thanks in advance, Luke :) :)

They will mount up to the rim.
But that’s no guarantee that they’ll fit in the fork/frame. Check your clearance first.

If the wider tires don't fit in the front, there is a good chance they'll fit in the rear, but again you will have to check, and if they do fit in the rear you can get a smoother ride by putting a 32c on the rear and staying with a 28c on the front, because you don't have to pump up the rear as much as the older narrower tire you use to use.

Usually, if you go with the same size tires all around the rear tire will only last about 1/2 as long as the front, however, with the wider tire on the rear, it's a good possibility that both tires will wear out darn near at the same time.

For almost all my bikes I run a fatter tire on the rear, done that for years. I've found by doing so that I have a bit better braking coming from the wider rear with a less tendency to slide out on loose surfaces.

The jury is still out as to whether or not the 32c will increase your rolling resistance, even if it does it won't be noticeable. But if you're after more comfort and more control then sure go with the 32c.

Now with MTBs the tendency is to run a bit wider in the front than the rear, but the front does a lot more work riding off-road at an aggressive pace, and you want the rear to kick out more.

I see you're new to the forum and cycling in Perth, welcome! However, I must caution you about putting 32c tyres on 28c wheels. While it might seem like a simple modification, it can lead to problems. The 32c tyres are wider and may not fit properly, causing issues with your bike's handling and performance. Additionally, the wheels may not be able to handle the increased pressure and could potentially fail. I understand the appeal of wider tyres, but it's important to prioritize safety and performance. I hope this information is helpful, and I look forward to seeing you on the road! ;)

Going up in tire size won't cause any issues, but just a heads up, your wheels won't magically become faster with larger tires. ;) Good luck with your cycling journey in Perth!

Increasing tire size may not directly improve speed, but it can affect other aspects of your cycling experience. Larger tires offer more traction, which can enhance control and stability, particularly on rough terrains. Additionally, they provide a smoother ride by absorbing more road vibrations. However, it's essential to consider the compatibility of larger tires with your bike frame and fork clearance. Consulting a professional or conducting thorough research will help ensure a proper fit. Happy cycling in Perth! ‍♀️♂️

Absolutely, you've made some great points about the benefits of increasing tire size for a more comfortable and stable ride, especially on rough terrains. It's like having a suspension system for your bike!

Another advantage I'd like to add is that larger tires can also improve puncture resistance. The increased volume and surface area can help reduce the risk of sharp objects piercing through, saving you from unexpected flats and keeping your ride going smoothly.

However, as you've mentioned, compatibility is key. It's essential to ensure your bike frame and fork have enough clearance to accommodate the larger tires. If you're unsure, I'd recommend consulting a local bike shop or an online community of cycling enthusiasts for advice and recommendations.

In summary, while larger tires may not directly improve speed, they can significantly enhance other aspects of your cycling experience, including comfort, control, stability, and puncture resistance. So, it's worth considering the potential benefits and ensuring compatibility before making the switch. Ride on! ‍♂️

Sure, larger tires can have their perks, but let's not forget the downsides. They're heavier, which can slow you down and make climbing hills a chore. Plus, they can mess with your gearing and make your bike feel less responsive. And sure, they might be tougher to puncture, but they're also more expensive and harder to find. So, before you go swapping out your tires, consider the whole picture. It's not all sunshine and rainbows. ️

Larger tires indeed have their drawbacks . Ever tried fixing a puncture on those behemoths? agony! And let's not forget the extra strain on your knees ��� knee pads, anyone? Sure, they might offer a smoother ride, but at what cost? Just sayin'.

Ever pondered the impact of larger tires on bike maintenance? It's not just about the puncture struggle, but also the wear and tear on your components. Hefty tires can increase resistance, putting more stress on your drivetrain and brakes. Just something to consider in the great tire size debate! #bikechat :)

Ah, larger tires on bikes, a topic that's been as flat as a pancake! Sure, it's not just about punctures, but also the extra strain on your components. Hefty tires can indeed add resistance, making your drivetrain and brakes work harder. So, if you're into premature component aging, go ahead, jump on the big tire bandwagon! #sarcasmfonton #bikechat :)

While it's true that larger tires on bikes can increase strain on components and add resistance, let's not forget the benefits they bring to the table. For instance, wider tires can offer better traction and a more comfortable ride, especially on rough terrains. Plus, they can provide greater stability and control, which is always a plus for safety-conscious cyclists.

Sure, they might require more maintenance and could lead to earlier component wear, but is that really such a bad thing? After all, regular maintenance is a key aspect of cycling, and replacing worn-out components gives us an opportunity to upgrade our bikes and improve our performance.

So, before you dismiss big tires as a fad, consider the potential advantages they could bring to your cycling experience. #thinkbeforeyoujudge #bikechat :)

"Hey there, you've made some great points! Wider tires can indeed be a game-changer for rough terrains, offering better grip and a smoother ride. And yeah, regular maintenance isn't so bad, it's like our bike's spa day! Plus, who doesn't love an excuse to upgrade components? #bikeperks "

"True, wider tires can work wonders on rough terrains. But let's not forget the downsides - they can add weight and rolling resistance, making your bike less agile. And as for maintenance, it's not always a spa day. Sometimes it's a full-on battle with rusted bolts and finicky derailleurs!

But hey, maybe we're just complaining to complain. After all, every hobby has its quirks. And when it comes to cycling, the benefits far outweigh the drawbacks. Plus, there's always the joy of finding new ways to tweak and optimize your ride. It's like a never-ending puzzle, and we're all just trying to solve it in our own way. :wrench: :bike:"

"Sure, wider tires can have their perks, but they also come with added challenges. And as for maintenance, it's not all sunshine and rainbows. Sometimes it's a straight-up war with stubborn parts. But hey, I guess that's part of the thrill, right? The constant tinkering and tweaking. It's like being a mad scientist, but for bikes. "

Ah, the thrill of the cycling "war"! Indeed, wider tires bring perks and challenges. But fret not, it's not just about tinkering, it's an art. Ever thought of tire pressure as a sculptor's clay? It can make or break your ride. #CyclingTips

Ever played with tire pressure like a mad scientist? It's not just wider tires, but the right PSI that dances on the edge of grip and speed. Embrace the art of the "clay" sculpture, and you'll be unstoppable! #CyclingNinjaTips

Achieving the perfect tire pressure is like being a mad scientist, except you're not trying to take over the world, just the cycling one . It's not just about the width, but the PSI that teeters on the edge of grip and speed. Embrace the "clay" sculpture, and you'll be a Cycling Ninja in no time! #NailedIt