34.8 Clamped-on front derailleur on 31.8 seat tube, possible?

MultipleFostion

Sep 15, 2008
Hi all,

Next week I'll probably buy a new frame to replace my creaking old one, but the Look I'm considering has a 31.8 mm seat tube and my front derailleur, still quite new, has a 34.8 mm clamp. Should I buy a new derailleur, or I should just fill the empty space with a rubber sheet? Will I find geometry or adjustment problems? Any experience or feedback about this case will be much appreciated...

Buy a new one. Consider how much you paid for the Look frame. Sell you old one on EBay.

You should be able get some shims at your bike shop they normaly come with an xtr derailure but work fine for any derailure

Just buy a replacement derailleur clamp of the right size. They're readily available. Then unscrew your existing der from its clamp and attach to new clamp. 60 seconds/done! No shims, no nuthin'.

You asked this exact same question back on 10-8-2009, and got the same answer(s) then:
http://www.cyclingforums.com/cyclin...front-derailleur-31-8-seat-tube-possible.html

So...why the new thread? And by the way, IMV this topic really should've been posted under "cycling equipment"--where you posted it last time; and if you'd searched there, you'd have found prior threads on this exact topic, along with links to sites where replacement clamps can be purchased.