34 tooth rear cassette low

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Wayne T, Feb 1, 2003.

  1. Wayne T

    Wayne T Guest

    Having my bike converted from freewheel to cassette 9 speed. Bike builder has suggested a 12-34 with
    a triple crank of 46-34-24 or 22. My original crank is a 52-42-26. My lowest gear in the back is a
    32 tooth. I seem to remember that I was once advised to stay away from 34 teeth because it can be
    difficult to shift into. Is this true? Builder doesn't think it will be a problem. Also, since I am
    56, I would think that the 46 in the front with the 12 in the back would give me a good enough high
    of over 100. Or would it be better to go to a 48? He recommends a 44-34-22 crank for my wife. Both
    bikes are touring bikes. Comments? Anyone have any favorite gearing for a touring bike?

    Tags:

  2. Wayne,

    I'm 52 and tour a lot and no-one needs a gear lower than 22x32. My lowest on my tourer at the moment
    is 26 x 28, but I've had 22 x 28 which is very low and would enable me to cycle up any hill I could
    keep the handlebars down on, or if you're a pedant, any hill on which I could keep the handlebars
    down! I think the best setup is 42,32,22, 11-28

  3. Belij3

    Belij3 Guest

    I think your builder knows what he is talking about. B

  4. "Gear id Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Wayne,
    >
    > I'm 52 and tour a lot and no-one needs a gear lower than 22x32. My lowest on my tourer at the
    > moment is 26 x 28, but I've had 22 x 28 which is very low and would enable me to cycle up any hill
    > I could keep the handlebars down on, or if you're a pedant, any hill on which I could keep the
    > handlebars down! I think the best setup is 42,32,22, 11-28

    I'm 61. My setup is 24, 34, 46 front. 12-32 on the rear. At 80 years old I'll change to what your
    builder suggested.

  5. Sam Salt

    Sam Salt Guest

    I've had a 34t Megarange for a while now.No problems at all.

    Sam Salt

    "Belij3" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I think your builder knows what he is talking about. B

  6. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:i02%[email protected]...

    > Having my bike converted from freewheel to cassette 9
    speed. Bike builder
    > has suggested a 12-34 with a triple crank of 46-34-24 or
    22. My original
    > crank is a 52-42-26. My lowest gear in the back is a 32
    tooth. I seem to
    > remember that I was once advised to stay away from 34
    teeth because it can
    > be difficult to shift into. Is this true? Builder
    doesn't think it will be
    > a problem. Also, since I am 56, I would think that the 46
    in the front with
    > the 12 in the back would give me a good enough high of
    over 100. Or would
    > it be better to go to a 48? He recommends a 44-34-22
    crank for my wife.
    > Both bikes are touring bikes. Comments? Anyone have any
    favorite gearing
    > for a touring bike?

    Any of these combinations can be made to work. I ran a 13-34 7 speed cassette for awhile on a
    mountain bike, with a 24-36-46 crank, and later a 12-32 with a 22-34-46. No problems.

    The question is, what kind of riding will you be doing? On what kind of terrain? At what elevation?
    How big a load will you be carrying?

    Matt O.

  7. On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 01:39:43 -0500, Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:

    > Wayne,
    >
    > I'm 52 and tour a lot and no-one needs a gear lower than 22x32

    Oh, you are bold -- and probably foolish, too. Consider: the new Bruce Gordon touring bikes
    (arguably the gold standard for "appropriate" touring equipment) have 22 front 34 rear. But if an
    appeal to superior authority doesn't merit your consideration, ask yourself if you are the weakest,
    most out of shape tourist on the entire planet, and ask yourself if your terrain is the worst
    anywhere on earth, and your load the heaviest.

    > lowest on my tourer at the moment is 26 x 28, but I've had 22 x 28 which is very low and would
    > enable me to cycle up any hill I could keep the handlebars down on, or if you're a pedant, any
    > hill on which I could keep the handlebars down!

    If you "can't keep the handlebars down" with 22/32, I think you should either evaluate your riding
    technique or your position.

    > I think the best setup is 42,32,22, 11-28

    What's the advantage of 11-28 over 12-32 or 12-34?

  8. > If you "can't keep the handlebars down" with 22/32, I think you should either evaluate your riding
    > technique or your position.

    You need to try a 25% gradient and you'll know what I'm talking about.

    > > I think the best setup is 42,32,22, 11-28
    >
    > What's the advantage of 11-28 over 12-32 or 12-34?

    With a 42 front it gives you a higher gear. You do not need bigger than 28 with a 22 front.

  9. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    Spinning a 22/34 at 80 rpm you'll be going 4 mph. The terrain that requires that low a gear will
    have you spinning at more like 60 rpm and 3 mph. At that speed, it's difficult to keep the loaded
    bike upright.

    Based on what you've been riding, a 24 small cog and 12/27 rear will give you lower gear by 8% and
    you'll have a much better selection of gears in the 46/36, which are used most for regular riding.

    For touring and commuting, try to get rims that are 15 mm between bead seats. You'll be able to use
    wider tires which, you can inflate to lower pressures and get a softer ride. You'll also flat less.
    Rims like CXP 33 are only 13 mm and tires wider than 28 are not recommended.

    On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 05:28:46 GMT, "Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Having my bike converted from freewheel to cassette 9 speed. Bike builder has suggested a 12-34
    >with a triple crank of 46-34-24 or 22. My original crank is a 52-42-26. My lowest gear in the back
    >is a 32 tooth. I seem to remember that I was once advised to stay away from 34 teeth because it can
    >be difficult to shift into. Is this true? Builder doesn't think it will be a problem. Also, since I
    >am 56, I would think that the 46 in the front with the 12 in the back would give me a good enough
    >high of over 100. Or would it be better to go to a 48? He recommends a 44-34-22 crank for my wife.
    >Both bikes are touring bikes. Comments? Anyone have any favorite gearing for a touring bike?

  10. Wayne T

    Wayne T Guest

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Wayne,
    >
    > I'm 52 and tour a lot and no-one needs a gear lower than 22x32. My lowest on my tourer at the
    > moment is 26 x 28, but I've had 22 x 28
    which
    > is very low and would enable me to cycle up any hill I could keep the handlebars down on, or if
    > you're a pedant, any hill on which I could keep the handlebars down! I think the best setup is
    > 42,32,22, 11-28

    Well, your previous 22 x 28 is slightly lower than my current 26 x 32. I must confess that I have
    used it on large hills even without a full load. Builder was suggesting 24 x 34, but I wonder if a
    22 x 32 wouldn't be better. Does such a small gear as a 22 pose any problems with chain skip. To go
    one further, does a 11 in the back cause any problem with chain skip or additional wear on the
    chain? I remember going up Stowe Vermont with no load using the 26 x 32. I had to switch back in
    order to make it. That was years ago when I was a bit stronger. You make a good point about keeping
    the handlebars down.

  11. Wayne T

    Wayne T Guest

    news:Chf%[email protected]...

    > "Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:i02%[email protected]...
    >
    > > Having my bike converted from freewheel to cassette 9
    > speed. Bike builder
    > > has suggested a 12-34 with a triple crank of 46-34-24 or
    > 22. My original
    > > crank is a 52-42-26. My lowest gear in the back is a 32
    > tooth. I seem to
    > > remember that I was once advised to stay away from 34
    > teeth because it can
    > > be difficult to shift into. Is this true? Builder
    > doesn't think it will be
    > > a problem. Also, since I am 56, I would think that the 46
    > in the front with
    > > the 12 in the back would give me a good enough high of
    > over 100. Or would
    > > it be better to go to a 48? He recommends a 44-34-22
    > crank for my wife.
    > > Both bikes are touring bikes. Comments? Anyone have any
    > favorite gearing
    > > for a touring bike?
    >
    > Any of these combinations can be made to work. I ran a 13-34 7 speed cassette for awhile on a
    > mountain bike, with a 24-36-46 crank, and later a 12-32 with a 22-34-46. No problems.
    >
    > The question is, what kind of riding will you be doing? On what kind of terrain? At what
    > elevation? How big a load will you be carrying?

    That is a good question. Currently, I ride in some rather hilly areas where I find that I frequently
    use my 26 x 32. I would like to try touring with camping gear or, if I chicken out on that, then
    gear to allow me to stay in either motels or hostels.

    > Matt O.

  12. Wayne T

    Wayne T Guest

  13. Wayne T

    Wayne T Guest

    "Michael Pearlman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "Gear id Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Wayne,
    > >
    > > I'm 52 and tour a lot and no-one needs a gear lower than 22x32. My lowest on my tourer at the
    > > moment is 26 x 28, but I've had 22 x 28
    which
    > > is very low and would enable me to cycle up any hill I could keep the handlebars down on, or if
    > > you're a pedant, any hill on which I could
    keep
    > > the handlebars down! I think the best setup is 42,32,22, 11-28
    >
    > I'm 61. My setup is 24, 34, 46 front. 12-32 on the rear. At 80 years old I'll change to what your
    > builder suggested.

    Hee, hee.

    Interesting to see that the only difference between your setting and the builder's suggestion is
    the 34 in the back. BTW, do you do any heavy touring? I must admit that this is the wild card for
    me. I hope to do heavy touring but not sure if that will happen. Meanwhile, I want to be ready in
    case it happens. I am 56 and hope to retire when I am 60. So, I will have more time then to pursue
    heavy touring.

  14. Wayne T

    Wayne T Guest

    "Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > > If you "can't keep the handlebars down" with 22/32, I think you should either evaluate your
    > > riding technique or your position.
    >
    > You need to try a 25% gradient and you'll know what I'm talking about.

    I'm not sure what grade it was, but on a couple of my rides last year, there were roads that made me
    quite uncomfortable because the front wheel kept wanting to leave the pavement.

    > > > I think the best setup is 42,32,22, 11-28
    > >
    > > What's the advantage of 11-28 over 12-32 or 12-34?
    >
    > With a 42 front it gives you a higher gear. You do not need bigger than 28 with a 11 in the rear,
    > you save weight there and also with a smaller
    maximum sized crank gear. However, do you find any problems with such a small gear as a 11 such as
    chain skip or excessive wear on the chain? Also, you do get as low a gear ratio as my 26 x 32 with
    your 22 x 28 and at a weight savings. Have you experienced any chain skip or excessive wear with the
    22 in front? BTW, the 9 speed cassette I am looking at has a 28 next to the 34. So, it might be nice
    to have just in case. True, it would add weight but how much? May not be all that significant.

  15. Wayne T

    Wayne T Guest

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Spinning a 22/34 at 80 rpm you'll be going 4 mph. The terrain that requires that low a gear will
    > have you spinning at more like 60 rpm and 3 mph. At that speed, it's difficult to keep the loaded
    > bike upright.

    Hmm, you may have a good point there. Though, on a couple of really steep hills when I was out of
    shape, I did go up it at 4 miles per hour in my 26 X
    32. However, I didn't have a touring load.

    > Based on what you've been riding, a 24 small cog and 12/27 rear will give you lower gear by 8%

    Are you sure? I believe that my 26 x 32 is lower than a 24 x 27.

    and you'll have a much better selection of
    > gears in the 46/36, which are used most for regular riding.

    So you feel that the best gearing in front is a 46 x 36 x 24? With a 12/27 in the rear.

    > For touring and commuting, try to get rims that are 15 mm between bead seats. You'll be able to
    > use wider tires which, you can inflate to lower pressures and get a softer ride. You'll also flat
    > less. Rims like CXP 33 are only 13 mm and tires wider than 28 are not recommended.
    >
    > On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 05:28:46 GMT, "Wayne T" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Having my bike converted from freewheel to cassette 9 speed. Bike
    builder
    > >has suggested a 12-34 with a triple crank of 46-34-24 or 22. My original crank is a 52-42-26. My
    > >lowest gear in the back is a 32 tooth. I seem
    > >remember that I was once advised to stay away from 34 teeth because it
    can
    > >be difficult to shift into. Is this true? Builder doesn't think it will
    be
    > >a problem. Also, since I am 56, I would think that the 46 in the front
    with
    > >the 12 in the back would give me a good enough high of over 100. Or
    would
    > >it be better to go to a 48? He recommends a 44-34-22 crank for my wife. Both bikes are touring
    > >bikes. Comments? Anyone have any favorite
    gearing
    > >for a touring bike?

  16. Wayne T

    Wayne T Guest

    "Steve Palincsar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > On Sun, 02 Feb 2003 01:39:43 -0500, Gearóid Ó Laoi, Garry Lee wrote:
    >
    > > Wayne,
    > >
    > > I'm 52 and tour a lot and no-one needs a gear lower than 22x32
    >
    > Oh, you are bold -- and probably foolish, too. Consider: the new Bruce Gordon touring bikes
    > (arguably the gold standard for "appropriate" touring equipment) have 22 front 34 rear. But if an
    > appeal to superior authority doesn't merit your consideration, ask yourself if you are the
    > weakest, most out of shape tourist on the entire planet, and ask yourself if your terrain is the
    > worst anywhere on earth, and your load the heaviest.
    >
    > > lowest on my tourer at the moment is 26 x 28, but I've had 22 x 28 which is very low and would
    > > enable me to cycle up any hill I could keep the handlebars down on, or if you're a pedant, any
    > > hill on which I could keep the handlebars down!
    >
    > If you "can't keep the handlebars down" with 22/32, I think you should either evaluate your riding
    > technique or your position.

    Interestingly, a bike shop suggested that I should have a longer handleber stem so that I would be
    stretched out more. I'm sure that would help on keeping the wheels down on a steep hill. However, I
    was put on a set up bike and when he placed the handlebars further out, the middle of my back
    immediately started to hurt. He said I would get used to that. But I have my doubts because my back
    started hurting right away. Imagine what it would feel like on a long ride. The frame builder I am
    with now, told me that my bike is fine the way it is.

    > > I think the best setup is 42,32,22, 11-28
    >
    > What's the advantage of 11-28 over 12-32 or 12-34?

    The advantage I see with the 11-28 over 12-32 or 12-34 is that it is lighter in the rear and the 11
    allows you to drop to a 42 max up front instead of a 46 in order to obtain the same high gear.

    BTW, when calculating the gear ration for a 27" wheel, you take the front gear and divide by the
    rear gear and then multiply by 27. What do you use as the multiplier for a 700cc?

  17. Wayne T

    Wayne T Guest

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Spinning a 22/34 at 80 rpm you'll be going 4 mph. The terrain that requires that low a gear will
    > have you spinning at more like 60 rpm and 3 mph. At that speed, it's difficult to keep the loaded
    > bike upright.
    >
    > Based on what you've been riding, a 24 small cog and 12/27 rear will give you lower gear by 8% and
    > you'll have a much better selection of gears in the 46/36, which are used most for regular riding.
    >
    > For touring and commuting, try to get rims that are 15 mm between bead seats. You'll be able to
    > use wider tires which, you can inflate to lower pressures and get a softer ride. You'll also flat
    > less. Rims like CXP 33 are only 13 mm and tires wider than 28 are not recommended.

    My current wheels take up to a 32CC tire. However, I am running 26 CC Specialized Armadillos. I was
    told that they use a different measurement and, as a result, the 26's are equivalent to 32's. As far
    as I can tell, it appears they are right because they appear to be the same size of my former 32's
    and because I don't seem to have lost any stability of ride or comfort. Howver, these tires do allow
    pressure up to 110 pounds. I'm curious, why are Specialzied tires so hard to come by? Are they out
    of business? They have always been my favorite tires, especially the Armadillos with Kevlar. What
    are favorite touing tires of those on the board? I have used Continental Ultras, but I like the
    Specialized Aramadillos better.

  18. Wayne T <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Having my bike converted from freewheel to cassette 9 speed. Bike builder has suggested a 12-34
    >with a triple crank of 46-34-24 or 22. My original crank is a 52-42-26. My lowest gear in the back
    >is a 32 tooth. I seem to remember that I was once advised to stay away from 34 teeth because it can
    >be difficult to shift into.

    That is probably more a function of the 24-34 jump on "Megarange" kit than any inherent property of
    a 34. I have no trouble going from 28->34 or vice versa.

    However - while I am a fan of little gears - I suspect with a 22 granny a 34 may not be strictly
    necessary.

  19. Wayne T <[email protected]> wrote:
    >The advantage I see with the 11-28 over 12-32 or 12-34 is that it is lighter in the rear

    Do you really see the weight of sprockets as a serious issue on a touring bike?

  20. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    26/32 - 21.5
    27/27 - 23.5