34 yr old runner dies in tampa 15k

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Dieshooter, Jan 26, 2004.

  1. Dieshooter

    Dieshooter Guest

    this was in the St. petersburg Times Sunday. The race was Sat., jan 24, 04

    --------------------

    Runner collapses, dies during Gasparilla Other racers dialed 911 and performed CPR, but the 34-year-
    old from Tampa could not be revived. By RODNEY THRASH Published January 25, 2004

    TAMPA - As Kristi Cottier approached the 7-mile mark of the Bank of America Gasparilla Distance
    Classic Saturday, she saw a man fall. His eyes rolled back. He appeared to be having a seizure.

    Cottier and others at Bayshore and Gandy boulevards signaled for help. Others administered CPR.
    Cottier called 911 on a cell phone.

    Tampa Fire Rescue soon arrived and tried to resuscitate James Hamilton, but it was too late.
    Hamilton, 34, of Tampa, was dead on arrival at Tampa General Hospital, apparently of a heart attack,
    police spokesman Capt. Bob Guidara said.

    This is the second time in the race's 26-year history that a Gasparilla participant has died. In
    1994, Gary Peacock, 55, of Tampa, collapsed outside the post-race awards ceremony.

    Runners can choose to enter a 5K (3.1-mile) or 15K (9.3-mile) race.

    On the event's Web site, organizers advise participants to stop running if they feel ill and seek
    aid at a water station.

    It also says that EMS, police and fire rescue are available for medical emergencies on the course
    and that a medical tent staffed with TGH medical personnel is based at the finish line.

    Cottier, an avid runner from Treasure Island, was participating in her first 15K race and her second
    Gasparilla since 2001.

    "As a runner and an athlete, it puts everything in perspective," she said. "When someone is that
    young and is healthy - he wasn't 6 foot, 380 pounds - it puts everything in perspective for you."

    Tags:

  2. Globaldisc

    Globaldisc Guest

    "When someone is that young and is healthy - he wasn't 6 foot, 380 pounds - it puts everything in
    perspective for you."
    ----

    ....ahh...that's the error that many make about others and themeselves. they assume the person is
    healthy based exterior image..... this 34 year old could have well had an undiagnosed / pre-existing
    factor-condition largely (if not entirely) contributing to this unfortunate ending.

    it's probably inaccurate to characterize this person as "healthy". 2 years ago a college buddy and a
    guy i considered to be somewhat of a genius died at age 41 from undiagnosed diabetes. i could not
    believe it...something so managable...and it showed me in the end...he was not so smart after all.

    you should get an annual physical anyway but if you exert your body like runners do...it's an
    absolute must. there's lots of stories of people that could have saved their lives had they caught
    prostate or breast cancer earlier, etc.

    You just can't assume your organs, arteries, & muscles are healthy....

  3. Topcounsel

    Topcounsel Guest

    >ahh...that's the error that many make about others and themeselves. they assume the person is
    >healthy based exterior image..... this 34 year old could have well had an undiagnosed / pre-
    >existing factor-condition largely (if not entirely) contributing to this unfortunate ending.

    Makes me think of Jim Fixx and others. Fixx's fater died very young of a congenital heart defect or
    something like that, and Fixx of course died of a heart problem, too. However, it was not the
    running that killed him -- it was the running that enabled him to extend his life as long as he did
    -- he outlived his father by a good margin, as I recall.

    Time will tell as to this 34-year-old.

  4. Phil M.

    Phil M. Guest

    [email protected] (Globaldisc) wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > it's probably inaccurate to characterize this person as "healthy". 2 years ago a college buddy
    > and a guy i considered to be somewhat of a genius died at age 41 from undiagnosed diabetes. i
    > could not believe it...something so managable...and it showed me in the end...he was not so smart
    > after all.

    My sister was one of those. She was as smart as they get (so I thought). Scored 1,600 on the SATs,
    went to Cornell on a scholarship, died at the age of 54 of colorectal cancer. Regular colonoscopies
    could have caught this in time to save her life.

    -Phil

  5. Relax. It's just nature's way of weeding the sick and dimwitted from the herd.

  6. Rick++

    Rick++ Guest

    > it's probably inaccurate to characterize this person as "healthy". 2 years ago a college buddy
    > and a guy i considered to be somewhat of a genius died at age 41 from undiagnosed diabetes. i
    > could not believe it...something so managable...and it showed me in the end...he was not so smart
    > after all.

    People do die rarely for no discernable reason at all. An acquaintance of mine dropped dead at his
    desk a few years ago in his 20s. No obvious cause at all. Not out of shape, not a party druggie, no
    family history. The death certificate said heart failure- meaning just that the heart stopped, but
    there was no apparent organic cause. His father's memorial website had this link as a possible
    cause: http://www.aafp.org/afp/980600ap/oconnor.html At an incidence approaching one in a million,
    this is a similar rate to spontaneous human "mad cow" disease in the USA.

    We are conditioned by the scientific & medical-industrial complex to believe that all things are now
    explainable, but some things are not.

  7. Wholovesya?

    Wholovesya? Guest

    [email protected] (Miss Anne Thrope) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Relax. It's just nature's way of weeding the sick and dimwitted from the herd.

    WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?

    WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?

    YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after the 9-11 attack, while the victims were
    still burning.
    "we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at least give his location to every terrorist
    group we can find, and let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house, a coked-up
    dopehead running the country".

    From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
    rec.music.makers.bagpipe Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pathetic+pea-brain+mrrobottow&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    8&selm=20010912055959.21715.00001917%40mb-fi.aol.com&rnum=3

    YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES! BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"

    THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE! COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!

    This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS: IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!

    To long-suffering RMMB contributors: DO COPY AND PASTE this message. THEN use it to REPLY anytime
    you have an urge to respond to the NOT-REALLY-ANNONYMOUS troll on RMMB and rec.running. (Why, YES,
    Bill Davidson, the source of thousands of lowlife postings under dozens of account names, is also
    "TheBillRodgers" and his clones.

    Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us? WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find out.
    Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.

    COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY

  8. Wholovesya?

    From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
[...]

  9. Ken A Whore

    Ken A Whore Guest

    [email protected] (WhoLovesYa?) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Miss Anne Thrope) wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > 3153.bay.webtv.net>...
    > > Relax. It's just nature's way of weeding the sick and dimwitted from the herd.
    >
    > WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?
    >
    > WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?
    >
    > YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after the 9-11 attack, while the victims were still
    > burning.
    > "we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at least give his location to every
    > terrorist group we can find, and let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house, a
    > coked-up dopehead running the country".
    >
    > From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
    > rec.music.makers.bagpipe Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pathetic+pea-brain+mrrobottow&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    > 8&selm=20010912055959.21715.00001917%40mb-fi.aol.com&rnum=3
    >
    > YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES! BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"
    >
    > THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE! COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!
    >
    > This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS: IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!
    >
    > To long-suffering RMMB contributors: DO COPY AND PASTE this message. THEN use it to REPLY anytime
    > you have an urge to respond to the NOT-REALLY-ANNONYMOUS troll on RMMB and rec.running. (Why, YES,
    > Bill Davidson, the source of thousands of lowlife postings under dozens of account names, is also
    > "TheBillRodgers" and his clones.
    >
    > Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us? WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find out.
    > Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.
    >
    > COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY
    .

  10. Ken A Whore

    Ken A Whore Guest

    [email protected] (WhoLovesYa?) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Miss Anne Thrope) wrote in message news:<[email protected]
    > 3153.bay.webtv.net>...
    > > Relax. It's just nature's way of weeding the sick and dimwitted from the herd.
    >
    > WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?
    >
    > WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?
    >
    > YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after the 9-11 attack, while the victims were still
    > burning.
    > "we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at least give his location to every
    > terrorist group we can find, and let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house, a
    > coked-up dopehead running the country".
    >
    > From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
    > rec.music.makers.bagpipe Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pathetic+pea-brain+mrrobottow&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    > 8&selm=20010912055959.21715.00001917%40mb-fi.aol.com&rnum=3
    >
    > YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES! BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"
    >
    > THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE! COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!
    >
    > This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS: IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!
    >
    > To long-suffering RMMB contributors: DO COPY AND PASTE this message. THEN use it to REPLY anytime
    > you have an urge to respond to the NOT-REALLY-ANNONYMOUS troll on RMMB and rec.running. (Why, YES,
    > Bill Davidson, the source of thousands of lowlife postings under dozens of account names, is also
    > "TheBillRodgers" and his clones.
    >
    > Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us? WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find out.
    > Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.
    >
    > COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY

    .

  11. Wholovesya?

    Wholovesya? Guest

    From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
[...]

  13. Ken A Whore

    Ken A Whore Guest

    [email protected] (WhoLovesYa?) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Ken a whore) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    > WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?
    >
    > WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?
    >
    > YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after the 9-11 attack, while the victims were still
    > burning.
    > "we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at least give his location to every
    > terrorist group we can find, and let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house, a
    > coked-up dopehead running the country".
    >
    > From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
    > rec.music.makers.bagpipe Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pathetic+pea-brain+mrrobottow&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    > 8&selm=20010912055959.21715.00001917%40mb-fi.aol.com&rnum=3
    >
    > YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES! BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"
    >
    > THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE! COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!
    >
    > This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS: IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!
    >
    > To long-suffering RMMB contributors: DO COPY AND PASTE this message. THEN use it to REPLY anytime
    > you have an urge to respond to the NOT-REALLY-ANNONYMOUS troll on RMMB and rec.running. (Why, YES,
    > Bill Davidson, the source of thousands of lowlife postings under dozens of account names, is also
    > "TheBillRodgers" and his clones.
    >
    > Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us? WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find out.
    > Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.
    >
    > COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY

    Dude, I've done all of this, yet I'm still here. What gives?

  14. Ken A Whore

    Ken A Whore Guest

    [email protected] (WhoLovesYa?) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (Ken a whore) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >

    > WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?
    >
    > WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?
    >
    > YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after the 9-11 attack, while the victims were still
    > burning.
    > "we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at least give his location to every
    > terrorist group we can find, and let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house, a
    > coked-up dopehead running the country".
    >
    > From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
    > rec.music.makers.bagpipe Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pathetic+pea-brain+mrrobottow&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    > 8&selm=20010912055959.21715.00001917%40mb-fi.aol.com&rnum=3
    >
    > YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES! BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"
    >
    > THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE! COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!
    >
    > This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS: IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!
    >
    > To long-suffering RMMB contributors: DO COPY AND PASTE this message. THEN use it to REPLY anytime
    > you have an urge to respond to the NOT-REALLY-ANNONYMOUS troll on RMMB and rec.running. (Why, YES,
    > Bill Davidson, the source of thousands of lowlife postings under dozens of account names, is also
    > "TheBillRodgers" and his clones.
    >
    > Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us? WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find out.
    > Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.
    >
    > COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY

    ,

    ,

    .

    ,

    '

    WTF????????????????

    Yet you keep scrolling? Hmm

    .

    Was it worth it?

  15. [email protected] (Ken a whore) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (WhoLovesYa?) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > [email protected] (Ken a whore) wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > >

    > > WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?
    > >
    > > WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?
    > >
    > > YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after the 9-11 attack, while the victims were still
    > > burning.
    > > "we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at least give his location to every
    > > terrorist group we can find, and let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house, a
    > > coked-up dopehead running the country".
    > >
    > > From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
    > > rec.music.makers.bagpipe Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST
    > >
    > > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pathetic+pea-brain+mrrobottow&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    > > 8&selm=20010912055959.21715.00001917%40mb-fi.aol.com&rnum=3
    > >
    > > YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES! BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"
    > >
    > > THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE! COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!
    > >
    > > This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS: IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!
    > >
    > > To long-suffering RMMB contributors: DO COPY AND PASTE this message. THEN use it to REPLY
    > > anytime you have an urge to respond to the NOT-REALLY-ANNONYMOUS troll on RMMB and rec.running.
    > > (Why, YES, Bill Davidson, the source of thousands of lowlife postings under dozens of account
    > > names, is also "TheBillRodgers" and his clones.
    > >
    > > Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us? WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find
    > > out. Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.
    > >
    > > COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY

    > ,

    > ,

    > .

    > ,

    > '

    > WTF????????????????

    > Yet you keep scrolling? Hmm

    > .

    > Was it worth it?

    yes

  16. Wholovesya?

    Wholovesya? Guest

    From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:

  17. [email protected] (WhoLovesYa?) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > [email protected] (........ ...........) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >
    > WHO WAS IT, THREATENED THE PRESIDENT?
    >
    > WHO ADVOCATED AID TO TERRORISTS?
    >
    > YEP, our own BILL DAVIDSON, just one day after the 9-11 attack, while the victims were still
    > burning.
    > "we should bomb that pathetic excuse for a man too, or at least give his location to every
    > terrorist group we can find, and let them take him out. Just what we need in the white house, a
    > coked-up dopehead running the country".
    >
    > From: MrRobotTow ([email protected]) Subject: Re: The Only Thing Newsgroups:
    > rec.music.makers.bagpipe Date: 2001-09-12 03:00:32 PST
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?q=pathetic+pea-brain+mrrobottow&hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-
    > 8&selm=20010912055959.21715.00001917%40mb-fi.aol.com&rnum=3
    >
    > YO! Homeland Security dudes: KEY PHRASES! BOMB "WHITE HOUSE" "TERRORIST GROUP"
    >
    > THERE'S YER ANTISOCIAL NUT CASE, RIGHT THERE! COULD BE another John Hinckley. Check him out!
    >
    > This US citizen publicly called for AID to TERRORISTS: IS HIS NAME ON YOUR LIST? Check him out!
    >
    > To long-suffering RMMB contributors: DO COPY AND PASTE this message. THEN use it to REPLY anytime
    > you have an urge to respond to the NOT-REALLY-ANNONYMOUS troll on RMMB and rec.running. (Why, YES,
    > Bill Davidson, the source of thousands of lowlife postings under dozens of account names, is also
    > "TheBillRodgers" and his clones.
    >
    > Will Bill's own words amuse him as much as they amuse us? WILL THEY AMUSE OTHERS? Let's find out.
    > Let's be sure BILL gets the attention he deserves and craves.
    >
    > COPY, PASTE, REPLY to our TROLL. IT'S THAT EASY
    .

  18. Wholovesya?