36 holes Hubs (Disc Brake)

soona

Jan 17, 2006
Hi Guys,

I am using Shimano Hubs (525) with 36 holes and disc brake for off road riding. Recently, there freewheel is seem to be losen. So i am thinking to change the hubs which must be 36holes and could be used for disc brake.

I need some advice from you all to recommend me a better hubs.....

Thanks

Regards,
Ang

soona said:
Hi Guys,

I am using Shimano Hubs (525) with 36 holes and disc brake for off road riding. Recently, there freewheel is seem to be losen. So i am thinking to change the hubs which must be 36holes and could be used for disc brake.

I need some advice from you all to recommend me a better hubs.....

Thanks

Regards,
Ang

come on give us a clue. what sort of riding do you do? XC, all mountain, freeride, downhill?
I like hope hubs, their range covers all disciplines of off roading. not too cheap tho...

i think that you should get some wtb lazer disk lite hubs. about 2 ounses heavyer than chris king but much lighter than deore/lx/xt. and they are cheap

davebee said:
come on give us a clue. what sort of riding do you do? XC, all mountain, freeride, downhill?
I like hope hubs, their range covers all disciplines of off roading. not too cheap tho...
Most of the time, i would go for XC.... At our LBS, the 36holes hubs is very difficult to find (middle end hubs) due to the budget.
And, i am thinking to replace the shimano cassatte body, so that i can still continue to use the hubs.

What do you think of Ringle Hubs, especially on cassatte body? Any good?
Thanks

themadscientist said:
i think that you should get some wtb lazer disk lite hubs. about 2 ounses heavyer than chris king but much lighter than deore/lx/xt. and they are cheap
Is WTB available with 36 holes laser disc Lite hubs?

And Are Shimano Deore (2006), LX (2005) and XT (2004) Hubs available with 36holes disc hubs?

Please advise?

Thanks

soona said:
Is WTB available with 36 holes laser disc Lite hubs?

And Are Shimano Deore (2006), LX (2005) and XT (2004) Hubs available with 36holes disc hubs?

Please advise?

Thanks

never used ringle hubs or wtb hubs (dont think they even exist in the uk).

why are you determined to get 36h? a well built 32h should be plenty strong for XC.

the wtb are the way to go for an xc bike light,cheap(for hubs atliest),and ive laced wheels up with them befor 32 will be ok as long as u use, say a mavic rim and DT spokes

themadscientist said:
the wtb are the way to go for an xc bike light,cheap(for hubs atliest),and ive laced wheels up with them befor 32 will be ok as long as u use, say a mavic rim and DT spokes

do the wtb used sealed or cup and cone bearings? I also hope that they are better sealed than their headsets!!

Personally i prefer hubs that use sealed which is why I have steered away from even the top end shimano. xtr hubs are nice but i cant be doing with taking them apart and rebuilding them when i could just knock the ebarings out, whack some enw ones in and job done. agree about DT spokes. it is also worth paying the extra for double butted. do you work for wtb the mad scientist?

well if u looked at my profile i actually work at a bike shop but the wtb use sld bearings. and from what i understand thoes hubs are made for xc
but if the laser lights scare you they make a stroger one that weighs more

themadscientist said:
well if u looked at my profile i actually work at a bike shop but the wtb use sld bearings. and from what i understand thoes hubs are made for xc
but if the laser lights scare you they make a stroger one that weighs more

I had noticed you work in a bike shop, but I had also noticed that you were only 15. It does not mean that you do not know your stuff, but people your age do tend to try and impress without necessarily knowing their stuff. (and you txt skp which always makes me a little wary) Please do not take it as a personal crticism.

With the exception of their saddles which are brilliant, most of the wtb stuff I have used has been reasonable (but not excellent). It is cheap though.

davebee said:
I had noticed you work in a bike shop, but I had also noticed that you were only 15. It does not mean that you do not know your stuff, but people your age do tend to try and impress without necessarily knowing their stuff. (and you txt skp which always makes me a little wary) Please do not take it as a personal crticism.

With the exception of their saddles which are brilliant, most of the wtb stuff I have used has been reasonable (but not excellent). It is cheap though.
ok i see where your coming from but i dont think that our friend here is looking to spend alot of money for hubs ie. Chris King

themadscientist said:
ok i see where your coming from but i dont think that our friend here is looking to spend alot of money for hubs ie. Chris King

you got me!!

davebee said:
never used ringle hubs or wtb hubs (dont think they even exist in the uk).

why are you determined to get 36h? a well built 32h should be plenty strong for XC.
Thanks for your advice. Actually i have done a mistake for upgrading my rims to Mavic XC317 (36holes) before checking the hubs conditions. Right now, i am stuck in the middle because the Rims are new and the hubs' cassette body got problem. Recently, i bought a spared cassette body taken from shimano wheel set (Deore Standard). I will change this until my current cassette body is damaged.....

For the ringle hubs, i found a pair of Ringle hubs (36holes) from our LBS. Why it is no good???

Or i better stick with my current shimano hubs, it is because it is much more easy to find the replacement parts....

Thanks for sharing your knowledge.....

themadscientist said:
You are right. I will work the thing according to the budget. At the same time, i also have to make sure that it is the right investment. And that is the reason i need to gather some experience, knowledge from you all.

I am really appreciated with your time and effort for replying to me. especially davebee and you.

Thanks again