3am thoughts

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Skiur, Mar 4, 2004.

1. Skiur

Skiur Guest

It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the nap that I had and dh's snoring
    like he plans on bringing the walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake up cranky.

I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices this week and that is annoying me. First it
    was the french bread that I bought to have with french onion soup. I like white bread a bit too much
    and always have. I started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be fair most of my points came
    from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on the points. Tuesday and Wednesday same thing.
    I've noticed that the veggies have been lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the desire to
    deal with it right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.

I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime. I traded in the Atkins less points bread for
    a more substantial wheat bread (difference 1 point). I think it tastes better. I've also been having
    Trader Joe's yogurt at lunch and while it is good...I prefer the cottage cheese singles with fruit.

TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it difficult to control the cravings.
    Anyone know why?

Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.

Tags:

2. sorry you are having a rough time. As to the cravings, I read an article
    once that said cravings are the way our bodies tell us we are lacking
    something, chocolate for example contains lots of magnesium and some other
    mineral that escapes me at the moment. I found that I no longer craved
    chocolate when I took a good mineral supplement for about three months, have
    never craved it since. good luck, Lee
    skiur <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the nap
    that
    > I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake
    > up cranky.
    >
    > I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices this week and that
    is
    > annoying me. First it was the french bread that I bought to have with french onion soup. I like
    > white bread a bit too much and always have. I started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be
    > fair most of my
    > came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on the points. Tuesday and Wednesday same
    > thing. I've noticed that the veggies have been lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the
    > desire to deal with it right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    >
    > I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime. I traded in the Atkins less points bread
    > for a more substantial wheat bread (difference 1 point). I think it tastes better. I've also been
    > having Trader Joe's yogurt at lunch and while it is good...I prefer the cottage cheese singles
    > with fruit.
    >
    > TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it difficult to control the cravings. Anyone
    > know why?
    >
    > Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.

3. Sorry things aren't going well right now Julie. I can relate. I had a difficult time over the last 5
    months or so, then all of a sudden things changed. This week has been going great so far. I feel as
    though I did a year ago when I first joined WW. I've been journalling, drinking my water, and
    staying OP. Just do the best you can, sooner or later things will fall back into place. We're all
    here for you if you need the support. Just post your little heart out!

Take care, Brenda

"skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the nap
    that
    > I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake
    > up cranky.
    >
    > I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices this week and that
    is
    > annoying me. First it was the french bread that I bought to have with french onion soup. I like
    > white bread a bit too much and always have. I started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be
    > fair most of my
    > came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on the points. Tuesday and Wednesday same
    > thing. I've noticed that the veggies have been lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the
    > desire to deal with it right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    >
    > I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime. I traded in the Atkins less points bread
    > for a more substantial wheat bread (difference 1 point). I think it tastes better. I've also been
    > having Trader Joe's yogurt at lunch and while it is good...I prefer the cottage cheese singles
    > with fruit.
    >
    > TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it difficult to control the cravings. Anyone
    > know why?
    >
    > Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.

4. Skiur

Skiur Guest

That's an interesting thought.

You don't happen to remember the article do you?

Julie

"Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
    > sorry you are having a rough time. As to the cravings, I read an article once that said cravings
    > are the way our bodies tell us we are lacking something, chocolate for example contains lots of
    > magnesium and some other mineral that escapes me at the moment. I found that I no longer craved
    > chocolate when I took a good mineral supplement for about three months,
    have
    > never craved it since. good luck, Lee skiur <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gC-dnZSryrFeZNvd3cwC-
    > [email protected]
    > >
    > > It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the nap
    > that
    > > I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake
    > > up cranky.
    > >
    > > I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices this week and
    that
    > is
    > > annoying me. First it was the french bread that I bought to have with french onion soup. I like
    > > white bread a bit too much and always have.
    I
    > > started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be fair most of my
    > points
    > > came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on the points. Tuesday and Wednesday same
    > > thing. I've noticed that the veggies have
    been
    > > lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the desire to deal with it right now. Hopefully
    > > Thursday will be better.
    > >
    > > I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime. I traded in the Atkins less points bread
    > > for a more substantial wheat bread (difference
    > > point). I think it tastes better. I've also been having Trader Joe's yogurt at lunch and while
    > > it is good...I prefer the cottage cheese
    singles
    > > with fruit.
    > >
    > > TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it difficult to
    control
    > > the cravings. Anyone know why?
    > >
    > > Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    > >
    >

5. Skiur

Skiur Guest

Thanks Brenda.

I've been journaling and drinking my water all week, so that has helped tremendously because I am
    still aware of what I'm eating. I'm trying real hard to adjust my 'tude this week. If I'm reading my
    scale I've still dropped some weight this week, but maybe all of 1/2 pound or so.

Julie

"Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Sorry things aren't going well right now Julie. I can relate. I had a difficult time over the last
    > 5 months or so, then all of a sudden things changed. This week has been going great so far. I feel
    > as though I did a year ago when I first joined WW. I've been journalling, drinking my
    water,
    > and staying OP. Just do the best you can, sooner or later things will
    fall
    > back into place. We're all here for you if you need the support. Just
    >
    > Take care, Brenda
    >
    > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the nap
    > that
    > > I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake
    > > up cranky.
    > >
    > > I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices this week and
    that
    > is
    > > annoying me. First it was the french bread that I bought to have with french onion soup. I like
    > > white bread a bit too much and always have.
    I
    > > started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be fair most of my
    > points
    > > came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on the points. Tuesday and Wednesday same
    > > thing. I've noticed that the veggies have
    been
    > > lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the desire to deal with it right now. Hopefully
    > > Thursday will be better.
    > >
    > > I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime. I traded in the Atkins less points bread
    > > for a more substantial wheat bread (difference
    > > point). I think it tastes better. I've also been having Trader Joe's yogurt at lunch and while
    > > it is good...I prefer the cottage cheese
    singles
    > > with fruit.
    > >
    > > TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it difficult to
    control
    > > the cravings. Anyone know why?
    > >
    > > Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    > >
    >

6. No this was so long ago I am sure it wasn't on the net where I read it, so I
    read it in a healtfood or nutritional magazine. You might try doing a
    googol search for cravings and see what you get, this was at least twenty
    years ago, Lee
    > That's an interesting thought.
    >
    > You don't happen to remember the article do you?
    >
    > Julie
    >
    > "Miss Violette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > berlin.de...
    > > sorry you are having a rough time. As to the cravings, I read an
    article
    > > once that said cravings are the way our bodies tell us we are lacking something, chocolate for
    > > example contains lots of magnesium and some
    other
    > > mineral that escapes me at the moment. I found that I no longer craved chocolate when I took a
    > > good mineral supplement for about three months,
    > have
    > > never craved it since. good luck, Lee skiur <[email protected]> wrote in message news:gC-dnZSryrFeZNvd3cwC-
    > > [email protected]
    > > >
    > > > It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the nap
    > > that
    > > > I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake
    > > > up cranky.
    > > >
    > > > I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices this week and
    > that
    > > is
    > > > annoying me. First it was the french bread that I bought to have with french onion soup. I
    > > > like white bread a bit too much and always have.
    > I
    > > > started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be fair most of my
    > > points
    > > > came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on the points. Tuesday and Wednesday
    > > > same thing. I've noticed that the veggies have
    > been
    > > > lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the desire to deal with
    it
    > > > right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    > > >
    > > > I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime. I traded in
    the
    > > > Atkins less points bread for a more substantial wheat bread
    (difference
    > 1
    > > > point). I think it tastes better. I've also been having Trader Joe's yogurt at lunch and while
    > > > it is good...I prefer the cottage cheese
    > singles
    > > > with fruit.
    > > >
    > > > TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it difficult to
    > control
    > > > the cravings. Anyone know why?
    > > >
    > > > Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    >

7. Joyce

Joyce Guest

Welcome to my world of the late nite hours (or early morning, depends on how you look at it). <grin>
    Look on the bright side, during this time not one single person is demanding anything of you ...
    this time is entirely for YOU!

Now this is just my thinking, but I would be willing to guess that the hard time this week could
    very well be due to TOM. Wish I could give you a scientific reason as to why, but I have no clue.
    When all else fails, blame it on the hormones. <grin> Only know that I tend to go through the same
    thing, feeling like I could eat anything that isn't nailed down. I really have to put in so much
    more thought and effort in keeping things in line during this time (and am not always successful).
    BUT ... any damage that might be done, can always be undone. We have the knowledge, we have the
    tools - it's up to us to do the work.

I was eating the wonder light wheat bread, tastes great (to me) - but recently have made another
    switch to SaraLee Delightfuls. It still comes out to 1 point for 2 slices but tastes much better to
    me. Very soft and light, not heavy. I know me and bread, like it all too well - so will not make the
    switch back to regular versions as I tend to eat too much of it.

Cravings can also be due to lacking *something* in nutrients, I haven't figured out how to decipher
    what my body is telling me though. When I remembered to take the multivitamins, I did notice the
    cravings were less frequent. Admittedly, I am horrid at taking them though - hate pills of any kind,
    they just aren't a routine in my life. I do think it is a good thing to get back into the habit of
    though, and might be something you want to give some thought to.

Joyce

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:27:56 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:

>
    >It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the nap that I had and dh's snoring
    >like he plans on bringing the walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake up cranky.
    >
    >I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices this week and that is annoying me. First it
    >was the french bread that I bought to have with french onion soup. I like white bread a bit too
    >much and always have. I started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be fair most of my points
    >came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on the points. Tuesday and Wednesday same
    >thing. I've noticed that the veggies have been lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the
    >desire to deal with it right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    >
    >I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime. I traded in the Atkins less points bread
    >for a more substantial wheat bread (difference 1 point). I think it tastes better. I've also been
    >having Trader Joe's yogurt at lunch and while it is good...I prefer the cottage cheese singles
    >with fruit.
    >
    >TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it difficult to control the cravings. Anyone
    >know why?
    >
    >Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.

8. Well 1/2 a pound is better than none at all and if you keep this up, you'll get there sooner or
    later. Losing takes time and patience, so try to be as patient as you can and it'll happen.
    Good luck.

Brenda

"skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Thanks Brenda.
    >
    > I've been journaling and drinking my water all week, so that has helped tremendously because I am
    > still aware of what I'm eating. I'm trying real hard to adjust my 'tude this week. If I'm reading
    > my scale I've still dropped some weight this week, but maybe all of 1/2 pound or so.
    >
    > Julie
    >
    >
    >
    > "Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Sorry things aren't going well right now Julie. I can relate. I had a difficult time over the
    > > last 5 months or so, then all of a sudden things changed. This week has been going great so far.
    > > I feel as though I did
    a
    > > year ago when I first joined WW. I've been journalling, drinking my
    > water,
    > > and staying OP. Just do the best you can, sooner or later things will
    > fall
    > > back into place. We're all here for you if you need the support. Just
    > post
    > > your little heart out!
    > >
    > > Take care, Brenda
    > >
    > > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the nap
    > > that
    > > > I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake
    > > > up cranky.
    > > >
    > > > I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices this week and
    > that
    > > is
    > > > annoying me. First it was the french bread that I bought to have with french onion soup. I
    > > > like white bread a bit too much and always have.
    > I
    > > > started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be fair most of my
    > > points
    > > > came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on the points. Tuesday and Wednesday
    > > > same thing. I've noticed that the veggies have
    > been
    > > > lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the desire to deal with
    it
    > > > right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    > > >
    > > > I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime. I traded in
    the
    > > > Atkins less points bread for a more substantial wheat bread
    (difference
    > 1
    > > > point). I think it tastes better. I've also been having Trader Joe's yogurt at lunch and while
    > > > it is good...I prefer the cottage cheese
    > singles
    > > > with fruit.
    > > >
    > > > TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it difficult to
    > control
    > > > the cravings. Anyone know why?
    > > >
    > > > Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    >

9. Skiur

Skiur Guest

Very true. I like alone time. What keeps you up this late?

I think it is TOM. Next month will be better. I also passed on two lunches out because I knew that
    if it wasn't nailed down it was going to my tummy.

I'll keep the SaraLee in mind when I go to the store tonight. Tomorrow we're going to a
    coworker/friend's place and we're doing crab cakes and making sushi. It should be fun. We're meeting
    at Mitsuwa to do the shopping there so it's authentic.

I am not surprised that cravings mean a lack of nutrients, but I feel really sick when I take my
    vitamins. I was told that there are a lot of people who get dizzy after taking One-a-days on an
    empty stomach. I am apparently one of them. I don't know what in them that does it either.

Julie

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Welcome to my world of the late nite hours (or early morning, depends on
    how you
    > look at it). <grin> Look on the bright side, during this time not one
    single
    > person is demanding anything of you ... this time is entirely for YOU!
    >
    > Now this is just my thinking, but I would be willing to guess that the
    hard time
    > this week could very well be due to TOM. Wish I could give you a
    scientific
    > reason as to why, but I have no clue. When all else fails, blame it on
    the
    > hormones. <grin> Only know that I tend to go through the same thing,
    feeling
    > like I could eat anything that isn't nailed down. I really have to put in
    so much
    > more thought and effort in keeping things in line during this time (and am
    not
    > always successful). BUT ... any damage that might be done, can always be
    undone.
    > We have the knowledge, we have the tools - it's up to us to do the work.
    >
    > I was eating the wonder light wheat bread, tastes great (to me) - but
    recently
    > have made another switch to SaraLee Delightfuls. It still comes out to 1
    point for
    > 2 slices but tastes much better to me. Very soft and light, not heavy. I
    know me
    > and bread, like it all too well - so will not make the switch back to
    regular
    > versions as I tend to eat too much of it.
    >
    > Cravings can also be due to lacking *something* in nutrients, I haven't
    figured
    > out how to decipher what my body is telling me though. When I remembered
    to take
    > the multivitamins, I did notice the cravings were less frequent.
    Admittedly, I am
    > horrid at taking them though - hate pills of any kind, they just aren't a
    routine
    > in my life. I do think it is a good thing to get back into the habit of
    though,
    > and might be something you want to give some thought to.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:27:56 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >
    > >It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the nap
    that
    > >I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake up
    > >cranky.
    > >
    > >I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices this week and that
    is
    > >annoying me. First it was the french bread that I bought to have with french onion soup. I like
    > >white bread a bit too much and always have. I started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to
    > >be fair most of my
    > >came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on the points. Tuesday and Wednesday same
    > >thing. I've noticed that the veggies have been lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the
    > >desire to deal with it right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    > >
    > >I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime. I traded in the Atkins less points bread
    > >for a more substantial wheat bread (difference 1 point). I think it tastes better. I've also been
    > >having Trader Joe's yogurt at lunch and while it is good...I prefer the cottage cheese
    singles
    > >with fruit.
    > >
    > >TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it difficult to control the cravings. Anyone
    > >know why?
    > >
    > >Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.

10. Skiur

Skiur Guest

Thanks Brenda.

"Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > Well 1/2 a pound is better than none at all and if you keep this up,
    you'll
    > get there sooner or later. Losing takes time and patience, so try to be
    as
    > patient as you can and it'll happen. Good luck.
    >
    > Brenda
    >
    > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Thanks Brenda.
    > >
    > > I've been journaling and drinking my water all week, so that has helped tremendously because I
    > > am still aware of what I'm eating. I'm trying
    real
    > > hard to adjust my 'tude this week. If I'm reading my scale I've still dropped some weight this
    > > week, but maybe all of 1/2 pound or so.
    > >
    > > Julie
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > "Brenda Hammond" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Sorry things aren't going well right now Julie. I can relate. I had
    a
    > > > difficult time over the last 5 months or so, then all of a sudden
    things
    > > > changed. This week has been going great so far. I feel as though I
    did
    > a
    > > > year ago when I first joined WW. I've been journalling, drinking my
    > > water,
    > > > and staying OP. Just do the best you can, sooner or later things will
    > > fall
    > > > back into place. We're all here for you if you need the support.
    Just
    > > post
    > > > your little heart out!
    > > >
    > > > Take care, Brenda
    > > >
    > > > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > >
    > > > > It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the
    nap
    > > > that
    > > > > I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the walls down.
    Naps
    > > > > aren't my friend. I wake up cranky.
    > > > >
    > > > > I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices this week and
    > > that
    > > > is
    > > > > annoying me. First it was the french bread that I bought to have
    with
    > > > > french onion soup. I like white bread a bit too much and always
    have.
    > > I
    > > > > started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be fair most of my
    > > > points
    > > > > came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on the
    points.
    > > > > Tuesday and Wednesday same thing. I've noticed that the veggies have
    > > been
    > > > > lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the desire to deal with
    > it
    > > > > right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    > > > >
    > > > > I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime. I traded in
    > the
    > > > > Atkins less points bread for a more substantial wheat bread
    > (difference
    > > 1
    > > > > point). I think it tastes better. I've also been having Trader
    Joe's
    > > > > yogurt at lunch and while it is good...I prefer the cottage cheese
    > > singles
    > > > > with fruit.
    > > > >
    > > > > TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it difficult to
    > > control
    > > > > the cravings. Anyone know why?
    > > > >
    > > > > Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > >
    >

11. As far as the vitamins go, among the very long list of things I am allergic
    to is any high concentration of iron. I can eat spinach and other
    vegetables but can't take a pill or eat liver of any kind. I mean liver
    smells good to me and when I am chewing the second bite the first bite is on
    its way back up. I "think" I like the taste of it but am still not sure.
    Because of the things I am allergic to I have to be careful and usually end
    up taking separate supplements as a result, at least when I am being good
    and taking them, Lee
    > Very true. I like alone time. What keeps you up this late?
    >
    > I think it is TOM. Next month will be better. I also passed on two
    lunches
    > out because I knew that if it wasn't nailed down it was going to my tummy.
    >
    > I'll keep the SaraLee in mind when I go to the store tonight. Tomorrow we're
    > going to a coworker/friend's place and we're doing crab cakes and making sushi.
    > It should be fun. We're meeting at Mitsuwa to do the shopping there so it's
    > authentic.
    >
    > I am not surprised that cravings mean a lack of nutrients, but I feel
    really
    > sick when I take my vitamins. I was told that there are a lot of people
    who
    > get dizzy after taking One-a-days on an empty stomach. I am apparently
    one
    > of them. I don't know what in them that does it either.
    >
    > Julie
    >
    >
    > "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Welcome to my world of the late nite hours (or early morning, depends on
    > how you
    > > look at it). <grin> Look on the bright side, during this time not one
    > single
    > > person is demanding anything of you ... this time is entirely for YOU!
    > >
    > > Now this is just my thinking, but I would be willing to guess that the
    > hard time
    > > this week could very well be due to TOM. Wish I could give you a
    > scientific
    > > reason as to why, but I have no clue. When all else fails, blame it on
    > the
    > > hormones. <grin> Only know that I tend to go through the same thing,
    > feeling
    > > like I could eat anything that isn't nailed down. I really have to put
    in
    > so much
    > > more thought and effort in keeping things in line during this time (and
    am
    > not
    > > always successful). BUT ... any damage that might be done, can always
    be
    > undone.
    > > We have the knowledge, we have the tools - it's up to us to do the work.
    > >
    > > I was eating the wonder light wheat bread, tastes great (to me) - but
    > recently
    > > have made another switch to SaraLee Delightfuls. It still comes out to 1
    > point for
    > > 2 slices but tastes much better to me. Very soft and light, not heavy.
    I
    > know me
    > > and bread, like it all too well - so will not make the switch back to
    > regular
    > > versions as I tend to eat too much of it.
    > >
    > > Cravings can also be due to lacking *something* in nutrients, I haven't
    > figured
    > > out how to decipher what my body is telling me though. When I
    remembered
    > to take
    > > the multivitamins, I did notice the cravings were less frequent.
    > Admittedly, I am
    > > horrid at taking them though - hate pills of any kind, they just aren't
    a
    > routine
    > > in my life. I do think it is a good thing to get back into the habit of
    > though,
    > > and might be something you want to give some thought to.
    > >
    > > Joyce
    > >
    > > On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:27:56 -0600, "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >
    > > >It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to do with the nap
    > that
    > > >I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the walls down. Naps aren't
    > > >my friend. I wake up cranky.
    > > >
    > > >I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices this week and
    that
    > is
    > > >annoying me. First it was the french bread that I bought to have with french
    > > >onion soup. I like white bread a bit too much and always have.
    I
    > > >started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be fair most of my
    > points
    > > >came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on the points. Tuesday
    > > >and Wednesday same thing. I've noticed that the veggies have
    been
    > > >lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the desire to deal with it
    > > >right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    > > >
    > > >I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime. I traded in the
    > > >Atkins less points bread for a more substantial wheat bread (difference
    > > >point). I think it tastes better. I've also been having Trader Joe's yogurt
    > > >at lunch and while it is good...I prefer the cottage cheese
    > singles
    > > >with fruit.
    > > >
    > > >TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it difficult to
    control
    > > >the cravings. Anyone know why?
    > > >
    > > >Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    > > >
    >

12. Joyce

Joyce Guest

I've never been a good sleeper, probably get it from my mom
    - she was a night owl also. Sometimes I blame it on working
    night shifts in my youth, but I know that isn't really true.
    <G> I just like the quiet time, can get a lot done with no
    one bugging me. Tonite it's primarily due to taking a much
    too long nap on the couch earlier in the evening, bad habit
    I've gotten into. I sit to watch the 10PM news and before I
    know it I fall asleep ... wake up about 3 hours later,
    raring to go. <sigh> And I hate going to bed before the kids
    are home, can't sleep until I know everyone is safely where
    they belong. So here I sit, 2:20 am and waiting for youngest
    daughter to get her butt in the door. <g>

The saralee bread is good, but it is very light. If you like
    heavier, more substantial bread you might not like this. I
    like soft and light, so it works well for me.

I have problems with vitamins also - not becoming ill, but
    anything with iron gives me a big problem. Will stop me
    totally up for days and days. I did a lot of looking,
    finally found a *senior* vitamin that contained no iron. It
    works well for me, when I remember to take it. <G> If the
    vitamins upset your stomach, then make them a part of your
    breakfast or lunch or dinner routine. Nothing says they
    can't be taken with food, or that they have to be taken in
    the morning. Hub used to just put his pills right next to
    his dinner plate ... eat dinner, pop the pills - became a
    routine, and still is. I do remember reading something about
    vitamins not being taken with acidic juices though,
    something about absorbtion of some nutrients. But I figure
    whatever little bit is not absorbed is more than likely made
    up by what I eat anyway. I've also heard of many adults that
    take childrens vitamins. We probably don't need 100% of
    whatever is in the adult versions anyway.

Joyce

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:33:30 -0600, "skiur"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

> Very true. I like alone time. What keeps you up this late?
    >
    >I think it is TOM. Next month will be better. I also passed
    >on two lunches out because I knew that if it wasn't nailed
    >down it was going to my tummy.
    >
    >I'll keep the SaraLee in mind when I go to the store
    >tonight. Tomorrow we're going to a coworker/friend's place
    >and we're doing crab cakes and making sushi. It should be
    >fun. We're meeting at Mitsuwa to do the shopping there so
    >it's authentic.
    >
    >I am not surprised that cravings mean a lack of nutrients,
    >but I feel really sick when I take my vitamins. I was told
    >that there are a lot of people who get dizzy after taking
    >One-a-days on an empty stomach. I am apparently one of
    >them. I don't know what in them that does it either.
    >
    >Julie
    >
    >
    >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> Welcome to my world of the late nite hours (or early
    >> morning, depends on
    >how you
    >> look at it). <grin> Look on the bright side, during this
    >> time not one
    >single
    >> person is demanding anything of you ... this time is
    >> entirely for YOU!
    >>
    >> Now this is just my thinking, but I would be willing to
    >> guess that the
    >hard time
    >> this week could very well be due to TOM. Wish I could
    >> give you a
    >scientific
    >> reason as to why, but I have no clue. When all else
    >> fails, blame it on
    >the
    >> hormones. <grin> Only know that I tend to go through the
    >> same thing,
    >feeling
    >> like I could eat anything that isn't nailed down. I
    >> really have to put in
    >so much
    >> more thought and effort in keeping things in line during
    >> this time (and am
    >not
    >> always successful). BUT ... any damage that might be
    >> done, can always be
    >undone.
    >> We have the knowledge, we have the tools - it's up to us
    >> to do the work.
    >>
    >> I was eating the wonder light wheat bread, tastes great
    >> (to me) - but
    >recently
    >> have made another switch to SaraLee Delightfuls. It still
    >> comes out to 1
    >point for
    >> 2 slices but tastes much better to me. Very soft and
    >> light, not heavy. I
    >know me
    >> and bread, like it all too well - so will not make the
    >> switch back to
    >regular
    >> versions as I tend to eat too much of it.
    >>
    >> Cravings can also be due to lacking *something* in
    >> nutrients, I haven't
    >figured
    >> out how to decipher what my body is telling me though.
    >> When I remembered
    >to take
    >> the multivitamins, I did notice the cravings were less
    >> frequent.
    >Admittedly, I am
    >> horrid at taking them though - hate pills of any kind,
    >> they just aren't a
    >routine
    >> in my life. I do think it is a good thing to get back
    >> into the habit of
    >though,
    >> and might be something you want to give some thought to.
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:27:56 -0600, "skiur"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >
    >> >It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to
    >> >do with the nap
    >that
    >> >I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the
    >> >walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake up cranky.
    >> >
    >> >I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices
    >> >this week and that
    >is
    >> >annoying me. First it was the french bread that I bought
    >> >to have with french onion soup. I like white bread a bit
    >> >too much and always have. I started out pretty well with
    >> >it on Sunday, but to be fair most of my
    >points
    >> >came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher on
    >> >the points. Tuesday and Wednesday same thing. I've
    >> >noticed that the veggies have been lacking at dinner
    >> >time and I just don't have the desire to deal with it
    >> >right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    >> >
    >> >I've made some changes to the bread I use at lunchtime.
    >> >I traded in the Atkins less points bread for a more
    >> >substantial wheat bread (difference 1 point). I think it
    >> >tastes better. I've also been having Trader Joe's yogurt
    >> >at lunch and while it is good...I prefer the cottage
    >> >cheese
    >singles
    >> >with fruit.
    >> >
    >> >TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it
    >> >difficult to control the cravings. Anyone know why?
    >> >
    >> >Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    >> >
    >

13. Skiur

Skiur Guest

I've done that too many times too, that's when I figure that I really should
    just go to bed and figure out what the news has to say later :)

I hope she got in at a reasonable hour so that you could
    go to bed.

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > I've never been a good sleeper, probably get it from my
    > mom - she was a
    night owl
    > also. Sometimes I blame it on working night shifts in my
    > youth, but I
    know that
    > isn't really true. <G> I just like the quiet time, can get
    > a lot done
    with no one
    > bugging me. Tonite it's primarily due to taking a much too
    > long nap on
    the couch
    > earlier in the evening, bad habit I've gotten into. I sit
    > to watch the
    10PM news
    > and before I know it I fall asleep ... wake up about 3
    > hours later, raring
    to go.
    > <sigh> And I hate going to bed before the kids are home,
    > can't sleep
    until I know
    > everyone is safely where they belong. So here I sit, 2:20
    > am and waiting
    for
    > youngest daughter to get her butt in the door. <g>
    >
    > The saralee bread is good, but it is very light. If you
    > like heavier,
    more
    > substantial bread you might not like this. I like soft and
    > light, so it
    works
    > well for me.
    >
    > I have problems with vitamins also - not becoming ill, but
    > anything with
    iron
    > gives me a big problem. Will stop me totally up for days
    > and days. I did
    a lot
    > of looking, finally found a *senior* vitamin that
    > contained no iron. It
    works
    > well for me, when I remember to take it. <G> If the
    > vitamins upset your
    stomach,
    > then make them a part of your breakfast or lunch or dinner
    > routine.
    Nothing says
    > they can't be taken with food, or that they have to be
    > taken in the
    morning. Hub
    > used to just put his pills right next to his dinner plate
    > ... eat dinner,
    pop the
    > pills - became a routine, and still is. I do remember
    > reading something
    about
    > vitamins not being taken with acidic juices though,
    > something about
    absorbtion of
    > some nutrients. But I figure whatever little bit is not
    > absorbed is more
    than
    > likely made up by what I eat anyway. I've also heard of
    > many adults that
    take
    > childrens vitamins. We probably don't need 100% of
    > whatever is in the
    adult
    > versions anyway.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:33:30 -0600, "skiur"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Very true. I like alone time. What keeps you up
    > > this late?
    > >
    > >I think it is TOM. Next month will be better. I also
    > >passed on two
    lunches
    > >out because I knew that if it wasn't nailed down it was
    > >going to my
    tummy.
    > >
    > >I'll keep the SaraLee in mind when I go to the store
    > >tonight. Tomorrow we're going to a coworker/friend's
    > >place and we're doing crab cakes and making sushi. It
    > >should be fun. We're meeting at Mitsuwa to do the
    > >shopping there so it's authentic.
    > >
    > >I am not surprised that cravings mean a lack of
    > >nutrients, but I feel
    really
    > >sick when I take my vitamins. I was told that there are a
    > >lot of people
    who
    > >get dizzy after taking One-a-days on an empty stomach. I
    > >am apparently
    one
    > >of them. I don't know what in them that does it either.
    > >
    > >Julie
    > >
    > >
    > >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:[email protected]...
    > >> Welcome to my world of the late nite hours (or early
    > >> morning, depends
    on
    > >how you
    > >> look at it). <grin> Look on the bright side, during
    > >> this time not one
    > >single
    > >> person is demanding anything of you ... this time is
    > >> entirely for YOU!
    > >>
    > >> Now this is just my thinking, but I would be willing to
    > >> guess that the
    > >hard time
    > >> this week could very well be due to TOM. Wish I could
    > >> give you a
    > >scientific
    > >> reason as to why, but I have no clue. When all else
    > >> fails, blame it on
    > >the
    > >> hormones. <grin> Only know that I tend to go through
    > >> the same thing,
    > >feeling
    > >> like I could eat anything that isn't nailed down. I
    > >> really have to put
    in
    > >so much
    > >> more thought and effort in keeping things in line
    > >> during this time (and
    am
    > >not
    > >> always successful). BUT ... any damage that might be
    > >> done, can always
    be
    > >undone.
    > >> We have the knowledge, we have the tools - it's up to
    > >> us to do the
    work.
    > >>
    > >> I was eating the wonder light wheat bread, tastes great
    > >> (to me) - but
    > >recently
    > >> have made another switch to SaraLee Delightfuls. It
    > >> still comes out to
    > >point for
    > >> 2 slices but tastes much better to me. Very soft and
    > >> light, not heavy.
    I
    > >know me
    > >> and bread, like it all too well - so will not make the
    > >> switch back to
    > >regular
    > >> versions as I tend to eat too much of it.
    > >>
    > >> Cravings can also be due to lacking *something* in
    > >> nutrients, I haven't
    > >figured
    > >> out how to decipher what my body is telling me though.
    > >> When I
    remembered
    > >to take
    > >> the multivitamins, I did notice the cravings were less
    > >> frequent.
    > >Admittedly, I am
    > >> horrid at taking them though - hate pills of any kind,
    > >> they just aren't
    a
    > >routine
    > >> in my life. I do think it is a good thing to get back
    > >> into the habit
    of
    > >though,
    > >> and might be something you want to give some
    > >> thought to.
    > >>
    > >> Joyce
    > >>
    > >> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:27:56 -0600, "skiur"
    > >> <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >
    > >> >It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot to
    > >> >do with the nap
    > >that
    > >> >I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the
    > >> >walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake up cranky.
    > >> >
    > >> >I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier choices
    > >> >this week and
    that
    > >is
    > >> >annoying me. First it was the french bread that I
    > >> >bought to have with french onion soup. I like white
    > >> >bread a bit too much and always have.
    I
    > >> >started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be
    > >> >fair most of my
    > >points
    > >> >came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher
    > >> >on the points. Tuesday and Wednesday same thing. I've
    > >> >noticed that the veggies have
    been
    > >> >lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the
    > >> >desire to deal with
    it
    > >> >right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    > >> >
    > >> >I've made some changes to the bread I use at
    > >> >lunchtime. I traded in
    the
    > >> >Atkins less points bread for a more substantial wheat
    > >> >bread
    (difference 1
    > >> >point). I think it tastes better. I've also been
    > >> >having Trader Joe's yogurt at lunch and while it is
    > >> >good...I prefer the cottage cheese
    > >singles
    > >> >with fruit.
    > >> >
    > >> >TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it
    > >> >difficult to
    control
    > >> >the cravings. Anyone know why?
    > >> >
    > >> >Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    > >> >
    > >>

14. Joyce

Joyce Guest

Guess it all depends on what your idea of reasonable is. <g>
    I received a phone call at midnite ... well actually it was
    a voice mail message, as I slept through my ringing cell
    phone. Said she was going to use her friends hot tub for
    awhile. She and friend rolled in at 2 AM, with bags of white
    castle and a bad case of the giggles. At 3:15 I told them
    they had two choices ... either I would take friend home
    (was past curfew and they already pushed their luck once) or
    he could spend the night. They opted to sleep on the couch
    and chair, giggled until about 5 when I finally fell asleep.
    Currently they are still in the family room, watching
    television and planning the rest of their day. Tonite will
    be an early bedtime nite for darling daughter. <g>

Joyce

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:37:32 -0600, "skiur"

>I've done that too many times too, that's when I figure
    >that I really should just go to bed and figure out what the
    >news has to say later :)
    >
    >I hope she got in at a reasonable hour so that you could
    >go to bed.
    >
    >> I've never been a good sleeper, probably get it from my
    >> mom - she was a
    >night owl
    >> also. Sometimes I blame it on working night shifts in my
    >> youth, but I
    >know that
    >> isn't really true. <G> I just like the quiet time, can
    >> get a lot done
    >with no one
    >> bugging me. Tonite it's primarily due to taking a much
    >> too long nap on
    >the couch
    >> earlier in the evening, bad habit I've gotten into. I sit
    >> to watch the
    >10PM news
    >> and before I know it I fall asleep ... wake up about 3
    >> hours later, raring
    >to go.
    >> <sigh> And I hate going to bed before the kids are home,
    >> can't sleep
    >until I know
    >> everyone is safely where they belong. So here I sit, 2:20
    >> am and waiting
    >for
    >> youngest daughter to get her butt in the door. <g>
    >>
    >> The saralee bread is good, but it is very light. If you
    >> like heavier,
    >more
    >> substantial bread you might not like this. I like soft
    >> and light, so it
    >works
    >> well for me.
    >>
    >> I have problems with vitamins also - not becoming ill,
    >> but anything with
    >iron
    >> gives me a big problem. Will stop me totally up for days
    >> and days. I did
    >a lot
    >> of looking, finally found a *senior* vitamin that
    >> contained no iron. It
    >works
    >> well for me, when I remember to take it. <G> If the
    >> vitamins upset your
    >stomach,
    >> then make them a part of your breakfast or lunch or
    >> dinner routine.
    >Nothing says
    >> they can't be taken with food, or that they have to be
    >> taken in the
    >morning. Hub
    >> used to just put his pills right next to his dinner plate
    >> ... eat dinner,
    >pop the
    >> pills - became a routine, and still is. I do remember
    >> reading something
    >about
    >> vitamins not being taken with acidic juices though,
    >> something about
    >absorbtion of
    >> some nutrients. But I figure whatever little bit is not
    >> absorbed is more
    >than
    >> likely made up by what I eat anyway. I've also heard of
    >> many adults that
    >take
    >> childrens vitamins. We probably don't need 100% of
    >> whatever is in the
    >adult
    >> versions anyway.
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:33:30 -0600, "skiur"
    >>
    >> > Very true. I like alone time. What keeps you up this
    >> > late?
    >> >
    >> >I think it is TOM. Next month will be better. I also
    >> >passed on two
    >lunches
    >> >out because I knew that if it wasn't nailed down it was
    >> >going to my
    >tummy.
    >> >
    >> >I'll keep the SaraLee in mind when I go to the store
    >> >tonight. Tomorrow we're going to a coworker/friend's
    >> >place and we're doing crab cakes and making sushi. It
    >> >should be fun. We're meeting at Mitsuwa to do the
    >> >shopping there so it's authentic.
    >> >
    >> >I am not surprised that cravings mean a lack of
    >> >nutrients, but I feel
    >really
    >> >sick when I take my vitamins. I was told that there are
    >> >a lot of people
    >who
    >> >get dizzy after taking One-a-days on an empty stomach. I
    >> >am apparently
    >one
    >> >of them. I don't know what in them that does it either.
    >> >
    >> >Julie
    >> >
    >> >
    >> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >news:[email protected]...
    >> >> Welcome to my world of the late nite hours (or early
    >> >> morning, depends
    >on
    >> >how you
    >> >> look at it). <grin> Look on the bright side, during
    >> >> this time not one
    >> >single
    >> >> person is demanding anything of you ... this time is
    >> >> entirely for YOU!
    >> >>
    >> >> Now this is just my thinking, but I would be willing
    >> >> to guess that the
    >> >hard time
    >> >> this week could very well be due to TOM. Wish I could
    >> >> give you a
    >> >scientific
    >> >> reason as to why, but I have no clue. When all else
    >> >> fails, blame it on
    >> >the
    >> >> hormones. <grin> Only know that I tend to go through
    >> >> the same thing,
    >> >feeling
    >> >> like I could eat anything that isn't nailed down. I
    >> >> really have to put
    >in
    >> >so much
    >> >> more thought and effort in keeping things in line
    >> >> during this time (and
    >am
    >> >not
    >> >> always successful). BUT ... any damage that might be
    >> >> done, can always
    >be
    >> >undone.
    >> >> We have the knowledge, we have the tools - it's up to
    >> >> us to do the
    >work.
    >> >>
    >> >> I was eating the wonder light wheat bread, tastes
    >> >> great (to me) - but
    >> >recently
    >> >> have made another switch to SaraLee Delightfuls. It
    >> >> still comes out to
    >1
    >> >point for
    >> >> 2 slices but tastes much better to me. Very soft and
    >> >> light, not heavy.
    >I
    >> >know me
    >> >> and bread, like it all too well - so will not make the
    >> >> switch back to
    >> >regular
    >> >> versions as I tend to eat too much of it.
    >> >>
    >> >> Cravings can also be due to lacking *something* in
    >> >> nutrients, I haven't
    >> >figured
    >> >> out how to decipher what my body is telling me though.
    >> >> When I
    >remembered
    >> >to take
    >> >> the multivitamins, I did notice the cravings were less
    >> >> frequent.
    >> >Admittedly, I am
    >> >> horrid at taking them though - hate pills of any kind,
    >> >> they just aren't
    >a
    >> >routine
    >> >> in my life. I do think it is a good thing to get back
    >> >> into the habit
    >of
    >> >though,
    >> >> and might be something you want to give some
    >> >> thought to.
    >> >>
    >> >> Joyce
    >> >>
    >> >> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:27:56 -0600, "skiur"
    >> >> <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >> >
    >> >> >It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot
    >> >> >to do with the nap
    >> >that
    >> >> >I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing the
    >> >> >walls down. Naps aren't my friend. I wake up cranky.
    >> >> >
    >> >> >I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier
    >> >> >choices this week and
    >that
    >> >is
    >> >> >annoying me. First it was the french bread that I
    >> >> >bought to have with french onion soup. I like white
    >> >> >bread a bit too much and always have.
    >I
    >> >> >started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to be
    >> >> >fair most of my
    >> >points
    >> >> >came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was higher
    >> >> >on the points. Tuesday and Wednesday same thing. I've
    >> >> >noticed that the veggies have
    >been
    >> >> >lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the
    >> >> >desire to deal with
    >it
    >> >> >right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    >> >> >
    >> >> >I've made some changes to the bread I use at
    >> >> >lunchtime. I traded in
    >the
    >> >> >Atkins less points bread for a more substantial wheat
    >> >> >bread
    >(difference 1
    >> >> >point). I think it tastes better. I've also been
    >> >> >having Trader Joe's yogurt at lunch and while it is
    >> >> >good...I prefer the cottage cheese
    >> >singles
    >> >> >with fruit.
    >> >> >
    >> >> >TOM is right around the corner too and that makes it
    >> >> >difficult to
    >control
    >> >> >the cravings. Anyone know why?
    >> >> >
    >> >> >Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    >> >> >
    >> >>
    >> >
    >

15. Skiur

Skiur Guest

Reasonable = before you passed out from waiting too long ;-)

You mean there are curfew licenses in IL? I didn't read that
    part of the manual closely...

> Guess it all depends on what your idea of reasonable is.
    > <g> I received a
    phone
    > call at midnite ... well actually it was a voice mail
    > message, as I slept
    through
    > my ringing cell phone. Said she was going to use her
    > friends hot tub for
    awhile.
    > She and friend rolled in at 2 AM, with bags of white
    > castle and a bad case
    of the
    > giggles. At 3:15 I told them they had two choices ...
    > either I would take
    friend
    > home (was past curfew and they already pushed their luck
    > once) or he could
    spend
    > the night. They opted to sleep on the couch and chair,
    > giggled until
    about 5 when
    > I finally fell asleep. Currently they are still in the
    > family room,
    watching
    > television and planning the rest of their day. Tonite will
    > be an early
    bedtime
    > nite for darling daughter. <g>
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:37:32 -0600, "skiur"
    >
    > >I've done that too many times too, that's when I figure
    > >that I really
    should
    > >just go to bed and figure out what the news has to say
    > >later :)
    > >
    > >I hope she got in at a reasonable hour so that you could
    > >go to bed.
    > >
    > >> I've never been a good sleeper, probably get it from my
    > >> mom - she was a
    > >night owl
    > >> also. Sometimes I blame it on working night shifts in
    > >> my youth, but I
    > >know that
    > >> isn't really true. <G> I just like the quiet time, can
    > >> get a lot done
    > >with no one
    > >> bugging me. Tonite it's primarily due to taking a much
    > >> too long nap on
    > >the couch
    > >> earlier in the evening, bad habit I've gotten into. I
    > >> sit to watch the
    > >10PM news
    > >> and before I know it I fall asleep ... wake up about 3
    > >> hours later,
    raring
    > >to go.
    > >> <sigh> And I hate going to bed before the kids are
    > >> home, can't sleep
    > >until I know
    > >> everyone is safely where they belong. So here I sit,
    > >> 2:20 am and
    waiting
    > >for
    > >> youngest daughter to get her butt in the door. <g>
    > >>
    > >> The saralee bread is good, but it is very light. If you
    > >> like heavier,
    > >more
    > >> substantial bread you might not like this. I like soft
    > >> and light, so
    it
    > >works
    > >> well for me.
    > >>
    > >> I have problems with vitamins also - not becoming ill,
    > >> but anything
    with
    > >iron
    > >> gives me a big problem. Will stop me totally up for
    > >> days and days. I
    did
    > >a lot
    > >> of looking, finally found a *senior* vitamin that
    > >> contained no iron.
    It
    > >works
    > >> well for me, when I remember to take it. <G> If the
    > >> vitamins upset
    your
    > >stomach,
    > >> then make them a part of your breakfast or lunch or
    > >> dinner routine.
    > >Nothing says
    > >> they can't be taken with food, or that they have to be
    > >> taken in the
    > >morning. Hub
    > >> used to just put his pills right next to his dinner
    > >> plate ... eat
    dinner,
    > >pop the
    > >> pills - became a routine, and still is. I do remember
    > >> reading
    something
    > >about
    > >> vitamins not being taken with acidic juices though,
    > >> something about
    > >absorbtion of
    > >> some nutrients. But I figure whatever little bit is not
    > >> absorbed is
    more
    > >than
    > >> likely made up by what I eat anyway. I've also heard of
    > >> many adults
    that
    > >take
    > >> childrens vitamins. We probably don't need 100% of
    > >> whatever is in the
    > >adult
    > >> versions anyway.
    > >>
    > >> Joyce
    > >>
    > >> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:33:30 -0600, "skiur"
    > >> <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    > >>
    > >> > Very true. I like alone time. What keeps you up this
    > >> > late?
    > >> >
    > >> >I think it is TOM. Next month will be better. I also
    > >> >passed on two
    > >lunches
    > >> >out because I knew that if it wasn't nailed down it
    > >> >was going to my
    > >tummy.
    > >> >
    > >> >I'll keep the SaraLee in mind when I go to the store
    > >> >tonight.
    Tomorrow
    > >> >we're going to a coworker/friend's place and we're
    > >> >doing crab cakes
    and
    > >> >making sushi. It should be fun. We're meeting at
    > >> >Mitsuwa to do the shopping there so it's authentic.
    > >> >
    > >> >I am not surprised that cravings mean a lack of
    > >> >nutrients, but I feel
    > >really
    > >> >sick when I take my vitamins. I was told that there
    > >> >are a lot of
    people
    > >who
    > >> >get dizzy after taking One-a-days on an empty stomach.
    > >> >I am
    apparently
    > >one
    > >> >of them. I don't know what in them that does it
    > >> >either.
    > >> >
    > >> >Julie
    > >> >
    > >> >
    > >> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> >news:[email protected]...
    > >> >> Welcome to my world of the late nite hours (or early
    > >> >> morning,
    depends
    > >on
    > >> >how you
    > >> >> look at it). <grin> Look on the bright side, during
    > >> >> this time not
    one
    > >> >single
    > >> >> person is demanding anything of you ... this time is
    > >> >> entirely for
    YOU!
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Now this is just my thinking, but I would be willing
    > >> >> to guess that
    the
    > >> >hard time
    > >> >> this week could very well be due to TOM. Wish I
    > >> >> could give you a
    > >> >scientific
    > >> >> reason as to why, but I have no clue. When all else
    > >> >> fails, blame it
    on
    > >> >the
    > >> >> hormones. <grin> Only know that I tend to go through
    > >> >> the same
    thing,
    > >> >feeling
    > >> >> like I could eat anything that isn't nailed down. I
    > >> >> really have to
    put
    > >in
    > >> >so much
    > >> >> more thought and effort in keeping things in line
    > >> >> during this time
    (and
    > >am
    > >> >not
    > >> >> always successful). BUT ... any damage that might be
    > >> >> done, can
    always
    > >be
    > >> >undone.
    > >> >> We have the knowledge, we have the tools - it's up
    > >> >> to us to do the
    > >work.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> I was eating the wonder light wheat bread, tastes
    > >> >> great (to me) -
    but
    > >> >recently
    > >> >> have made another switch to SaraLee Delightfuls. It
    > >> >> still comes out
    to
    > >1
    > >> >point for
    > >> >> 2 slices but tastes much better to me. Very soft and
    > >> >> light, not
    heavy.
    > >I
    > >> >know me
    > >> >> and bread, like it all too well - so will not make
    > >> >> the switch back
    to
    > >> >regular
    > >> >> versions as I tend to eat too much of it.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Cravings can also be due to lacking *something* in
    > >> >> nutrients, I
    haven't
    > >> >figured
    > >> >> out how to decipher what my body is telling me
    > >> >> though. When I
    > >remembered
    > >> >to take
    > >> >> the multivitamins, I did notice the cravings were
    > >> >> less frequent.
    > >> >Admittedly, I am
    > >> >> horrid at taking them though - hate pills of any
    > >> >> kind, they just
    aren't
    > >a
    > >> >routine
    > >> >> in my life. I do think it is a good thing to get
    > >> >> back into the
    habit
    > >of
    > >> >though,
    > >> >> and might be something you want to give some thought
    > >> >> to.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Joyce
    > >> >>
    > >> >> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:27:56 -0600, "skiur"
    > >> >> <[email protected]>
    > >wrote:
    > >> >>
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a lot
    > >> >> >to do with the
    nap
    > >> >that
    > >> >> >I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing
    > >> >> >the walls down.
    Naps
    > >> >> >aren't my friend. I wake up cranky.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier
    > >> >> >choices this week
    and
    > >that
    > >> >is
    > >> >> >annoying me. First it was the french bread that I
    > >> >> >bought to have
    with
    > >> >> >french onion soup. I like white bread a bit too
    > >> >> >much and always
    have.
    > >I
    > >> >> >started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to
    > >> >> >be fair most of
    my
    > >> >points
    > >> >> >came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was
    > >> >> >higher on the
    points.
    > >> >> >Tuesday and Wednesday same thing. I've noticed that
    > >> >> >the veggies
    have
    > >been
    > >> >> >lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the
    > >> >> >desire to deal
    with
    > >it
    > >> >> >right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >I've made some changes to the bread I use at
    > >> >> >lunchtime. I traded in
    > >the
    > >> >> >Atkins less points bread for a more substantial
    > >> >> >wheat bread
    > >(difference 1
    > >> >> >point). I think it tastes better. I've also been
    > >> >> >having Trader
    Joe's
    > >> >> >yogurt at lunch and while it is good...I prefer the
    > >> >> >cottage cheese
    > >> >singles
    > >> >> >with fruit.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >TOM is right around the corner too and that makes
    > >> >> >it difficult to
    > >control
    > >> >> >the cravings. Anyone know why?
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >>
    > >> >
    > >>

16. Joyce

Joyce Guest

Seeing that I rarely pass out before 4AM, then I guess she
    was still in the reasonable limit. <G> Not really though,
    due to the curfew thing. Get in an accident and insurance is
    invalid - it's considered driving without a valid license.

It's not a curfew *license* - there are curfew laws. Under
    the age of 17, must be in by 11PM on weekdays, midnite on
    weekends (Fri. and Sat.). IL passed a restricted driving
    law for teens last summer, it officially went into effect
    in January. This states that any driver holding a license
    for less than 6 months is only allowed to carry one
    passenger under the age of 18. They also have a law that
    has been in effect for several years, which I think is
    absolutely ridiculous ... any driver under the age of 21
    can/will have their license suspended if they receive two
    ticket convictions in a two year period of time. This used
    to be (and still may be for everyone over the age of 21)
    three tickets in one year. I could understand the validity
    of 2 tickets in one year ... but in a two year period of
    time seems ridiculous to me. Especially in my area, where
    weekly news reports are printed in the papers as how the
    police have to start issuing more tickets to build revenue
    ... or make cuts in employment. Needless to say, we have
    traps set up all over. Let's see ... here's another one,
    but this one I think is great. Anyone caught passing a
    fake id immediately has their drivers license revoked -
    not suspended - taken away for 9 months minimum. At that
    time you can go to court and request a work or school
    priveledge license, while waiting (and hoping) to get your
    regular license reinstated. This happened to my neighbor 2
    years ago.

Joyce

On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:17:20 -0600, "skiur"

>Reasonable = before you passed out from waiting too long
    >;-)
    >
    >You mean there are curfew licenses in IL? I didn't read
    >that part of the manual closely...
    >
    >> Guess it all depends on what your idea of reasonable is.
    >> <g> I received a
    >phone
    >> call at midnite ... well actually it was a voice mail
    >> message, as I slept
    >through
    >> my ringing cell phone. Said she was going to use her
    >> friends hot tub for
    >awhile.
    >> She and friend rolled in at 2 AM, with bags of white
    >> castle and a bad case
    >of the
    >> giggles. At 3:15 I told them they had two choices ...
    >> either I would take
    >friend
    >> home (was past curfew and they already pushed their luck
    >> once) or he could
    >spend
    >> the night. They opted to sleep on the couch and chair,
    >> giggled until
    >about 5 when
    >> I finally fell asleep. Currently they are still in the
    >> family room,
    >watching
    >> television and planning the rest of their day. Tonite
    >> will be an early
    >bedtime
    >> nite for darling daughter. <g>
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:37:32 -0600, "skiur"
    >>
    >> >I've done that too many times too, that's when I figure
    >> >that I really
    >should
    >> >just go to bed and figure out what the news has to say
    >> >later :)
    >> >
    >> >I hope she got in at a reasonable hour so that you could
    >> >go to bed.
    >> >
    >> >> I've never been a good sleeper, probably get it from
    >> >> my mom - she was a
    >> >night owl
    >> >> also. Sometimes I blame it on working night shifts in
    >> >> my youth, but I
    >> >know that
    >> >> isn't really true. <G> I just like the quiet time, can
    >> >> get a lot done
    >> >with no one
    >> >> bugging me. Tonite it's primarily due to taking a much
    >> >> too long nap on
    >> >the couch
    >> >> earlier in the evening, bad habit I've gotten into. I
    >> >> sit to watch the
    >> >10PM news
    >> >> and before I know it I fall asleep ... wake up about 3
    >> >> hours later,
    >raring
    >> >to go.
    >> >> <sigh> And I hate going to bed before the kids are
    >> >> home, can't sleep
    >> >until I know
    >> >> everyone is safely where they belong. So here I sit,
    >> >> 2:20 am and
    >waiting
    >> >for
    >> >> youngest daughter to get her butt in the door. <g>
    >> >>
    >> >> The saralee bread is good, but it is very light. If
    >> >> you like heavier,
    >> >more
    >> >> substantial bread you might not like this. I like soft
    >> >> and light, so
    >it
    >> >works
    >> >> well for me.
    >> >>
    >> >> I have problems with vitamins also - not becoming ill,
    >> >> but anything
    >with
    >> >iron
    >> >> gives me a big problem. Will stop me totally up for
    >> >> days and days. I
    >did
    >> >a lot
    >> >> of looking, finally found a *senior* vitamin that
    >> >> contained no iron.
    >It
    >> >works
    >> >> well for me, when I remember to take it. <G> If the
    >> >> vitamins upset
    >your
    >> >stomach,
    >> >> then make them a part of your breakfast or lunch or
    >> >> dinner routine.
    >> >Nothing says
    >> >> they can't be taken with food, or that they have to be
    >> >> taken in the
    >> >morning. Hub
    >> >> used to just put his pills right next to his dinner
    >> >> plate ... eat
    >dinner,
    >> >pop the
    >> >> pills - became a routine, and still is. I do remember
    >> >> reading
    >something
    >> >about
    >> >> vitamins not being taken with acidic juices though,
    >> >> something about
    >> >absorbtion of
    >> >> some nutrients. But I figure whatever little bit is
    >> >> not absorbed is
    >more
    >> >than
    >> >> likely made up by what I eat anyway. I've also heard
    >> >> of many adults
    >that
    >> >take
    >> >> childrens vitamins. We probably don't need 100% of
    >> >> whatever is in the
    >> >adult
    >> >> versions anyway.
    >> >>
    >> >> Joyce
    >> >>
    >> >> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:33:30 -0600, "skiur"
    >wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >> > Very true. I like alone time. What keeps you up this
    >> >> > late?
    >> >> >
    >> >> >I think it is TOM. Next month will be better. I also
    >> >> >passed on two
    >> >lunches
    >> >> >out because I knew that if it wasn't nailed down it
    >> >> >was going to my
    >> >tummy.
    >> >> >
    >> >> >I'll keep the SaraLee in mind when I go to the store
    >> >> >tonight.
    >Tomorrow
    >> >> >we're going to a coworker/friend's place and we're
    >> >> >doing crab cakes
    >and
    >> >> >making sushi. It should be fun. We're meeting at
    >> >> >Mitsuwa to do the shopping there so it's authentic.
    >> >> >
    >> >> >I am not surprised that cravings mean a lack of
    >> >> >nutrients, but I feel
    >> >really
    >> >> >sick when I take my vitamins. I was told that there
    >> >> >are a lot of
    >people
    >> >who
    >> >> >get dizzy after taking One-a-days on an empty
    >> >> >stomach. I am
    >apparently
    >> >one
    >> >> >of them. I don't know what in them that does it
    >> >> >either.
    >> >> >
    >> >> >Julie
    >> >> >
    >> >> >
    >> >> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >> >news:[email protected]...
    >> >> >> Welcome to my world of the late nite hours (or
    >> >> >> early morning,
    >depends
    >> >on
    >> >> >how you
    >> >> >> look at it). <grin> Look on the bright side, during
    >> >> >> this time not
    >one
    >> >> >single
    >> >> >> person is demanding anything of you ... this time
    >> >> >> is entirely for
    >YOU!
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> Now this is just my thinking, but I would be
    >> >> >> willing to guess that
    >the
    >> >> >hard time
    >> >> >> this week could very well be due to TOM. Wish I
    >> >> >> could give you a
    >> >> >scientific
    >> >> >> reason as to why, but I have no clue. When all else
    >> >> >> fails, blame it
    >on
    >> >> >the
    >> >> >> hormones. <grin> Only know that I tend to go
    >> >> >> through the same
    >thing,
    >> >> >feeling
    >> >> >> like I could eat anything that isn't nailed down. I
    >> >> >> really have to
    >put
    >> >in
    >> >> >so much
    >> >> >> more thought and effort in keeping things in line
    >> >> >> during this time
    >(and
    >> >am
    >> >> >not
    >> >> >> always successful). BUT ... any damage that might
    >> >> >> be done, can
    >always
    >> >be
    >> >> >undone.
    >> >> >> We have the knowledge, we have the tools - it's up
    >> >> >> to us to do the
    >> >work.
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> I was eating the wonder light wheat bread, tastes
    >> >> >> great (to me) -
    >but
    >> >> >recently
    >> >> >> have made another switch to SaraLee Delightfuls. It
    >> >> >> still comes out
    >to
    >> >1
    >> >> >point for
    >> >> >> 2 slices but tastes much better to me. Very soft
    >> >> >> and light, not
    >heavy.
    >> >I
    >> >> >know me
    >> >> >> and bread, like it all too well - so will not make
    >> >> >> the switch back
    >to
    >> >> >regular
    >> >> >> versions as I tend to eat too much of it.
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> Cravings can also be due to lacking *something* in
    >> >> >> nutrients, I
    >haven't
    >> >> >figured
    >> >> >> out how to decipher what my body is telling me
    >> >> >> though. When I
    >> >remembered
    >> >> >to take
    >> >> >> the multivitamins, I did notice the cravings were
    >> >> >> less frequent.
    >> >> >Admittedly, I am
    >> >> >> horrid at taking them though - hate pills of any
    >> >> >> kind, they just
    >aren't
    >> >a
    >> >> >routine
    >> >> >> in my life. I do think it is a good thing to get
    >> >> >> back into the
    >habit
    >> >of
    >> >> >though,
    >> >> >> and might be something you want to give some
    >> >> >> thought to.
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> Joyce
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:27:56 -0600, "skiur"
    >> >> >> <[email protected]>
    >> >wrote:
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a
    >> >> >> >lot to do with the
    >nap
    >> >> >that
    >> >> >> >I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing
    >> >> >> >the walls down.
    >Naps
    >> >> >> >aren't my friend. I wake up cranky.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier
    >> >> >> >choices this week
    >and
    >> >that
    >> >> >is
    >> >> >> >annoying me. First it was the french bread that I
    >> >> >> >bought to have
    >with
    >> >> >> >french onion soup. I like white bread a bit too
    >> >> >> >much and always
    >have.
    >> >I
    >> >> >> >started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but to
    >> >> >> >be fair most of
    >my
    >> >> >points
    >> >> >> >came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was
    >> >> >> >higher on the
    >points.
    >> >> >> >Tuesday and Wednesday same thing. I've noticed
    >> >> >> >that the veggies
    >have
    >> >been
    >> >> >> >lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the
    >> >> >> >desire to deal
    >with
    >> >it
    >> >> >> >right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >I've made some changes to the bread I use at
    >> >> >> >lunchtime. I traded in
    >> >the
    >> >> >> >Atkins less points bread for a more substantial
    >> >> >> >wheat bread
    >> >(difference 1
    >> >> >> >point). I think it tastes better. I've also been
    >> >> >> >having Trader
    >Joe's
    >> >> >> >yogurt at lunch and while it is good...I prefer
    >> >> >> >the cottage cheese
    >> >> >singles
    >> >> >> >with fruit.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >TOM is right around the corner too and that makes
    >> >> >> >it difficult to
    >> >control
    >> >> >> >the cravings. Anyone know why?
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >
    >> >>
    >> >
    >

17. Skiur

Skiur Guest

Oh my. Ok, *your* bedtime doesn't count ;-)

I didn't know that about the driving laws. Is there an
    exception for driving siblings? I would hope there would be
    an exception for siblings also. I *really* like the last
    law! That's a good one.

> Seeing that I rarely pass out before 4AM, then I guess she
    > was still in
    the
    > reasonable limit. <G> Not really though, due to the curfew
    > thing. Get in
    an
    > accident and insurance is invalid - it's considered
    > driving without a
    valid
    > license.
    >
    > It's not a curfew *license* - there are curfew laws. Under
    > the age of 17,
    must be
    > in by 11PM on weekdays, midnite on weekends (Fri. and
    > Sat.). IL passed a restricted driving law for teens last
    > summer, it officially went into
    effect in
    > January. This states that any driver holding a license for
    > less than 6
    months is
    > only allowed to carry one passenger under the age of 18.
    > They also have a
    law
    > that has been in effect for several years, which I think
    > is absolutely
    ridiculous
    > ... any driver under the age of 21 can/will have their
    > license suspended
    if they
    > receive two ticket convictions in a two year period of
    > time. This used to
    be (and
    > still may be for everyone over the age of 21) three
    > tickets in one year.
    I could
    > understand the validity of 2 tickets in one year ... but
    > in a two year
    period of
    > time seems ridiculous to me. Especially in my area, where
    > weekly news
    reports are
    > printed in the papers as how the police have to start
    > issuing more tickets
    to
    > build revenue ... or make cuts in employment. Needless to
    > say, we have
    traps set
    > up all over. Let's see ... here's another one, but this
    > one I think is
    great.
    > Anyone caught passing a fake id immediately has their
    > drivers license
    revoked -
    > not suspended - taken away for 9 months minimum. At that
    > time you can go
    to court
    > and request a work or school priveledge license, while
    > waiting (and
    hoping) to get
    > your regular license reinstated. This happened to my
    > neighbor 2 years
    ago.
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:17:20 -0600, "skiur"
    >
    > >Reasonable = before you passed out from waiting too
    > >long ;-)
    > >
    > >You mean there are curfew licenses in IL? I didn't read
    > >that part of the manual closely...
    > >
    > >> Guess it all depends on what your idea of reasonable
    > >> is. <g> I
    received a
    > >phone
    > >> call at midnite ... well actually it was a voice mail
    > >> message, as I
    slept
    > >through
    > >> my ringing cell phone. Said she was going to use her
    > >> friends hot tub
    for
    > >awhile.
    > >> She and friend rolled in at 2 AM, with bags of white
    > >> castle and a bad
    case
    > >of the
    > >> giggles. At 3:15 I told them they had two choices ...
    > >> either I would
    take
    > >friend
    > >> home (was past curfew and they already pushed their
    > >> luck once) or he
    could
    > >spend
    > >> the night. They opted to sleep on the couch and chair,
    > >> giggled until
    > >about 5 when
    > >> I finally fell asleep. Currently they are still in the
    > >> family room,
    > >watching
    > >> television and planning the rest of their day. Tonite
    > >> will be an early
    > >bedtime
    > >> nite for darling daughter. <g>
    > >>
    > >> Joyce
    > >>
    > >> On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:37:32 -0600, "skiur"
    > >> <[email protected]>
    wrote:
    > >>
    > >> >I've done that too many times too, that's when I
    > >> >figure that I really
    > >should
    > >> >just go to bed and figure out what the news has to say
    > >> >later :)
    > >> >
    > >> >I hope she got in at a reasonable hour so that you
    > >> >could go to bed.
    > >> >
    > >> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> >news:[email protected]...
    > >> >> I've never been a good sleeper, probably get it from
    > >> >> my mom - she
    was a
    > >> >night owl
    > >> >> also. Sometimes I blame it on working night shifts
    > >> >> in my youth, but
    I
    > >> >know that
    > >> >> isn't really true. <G> I just like the quiet time,
    > >> >> can get a lot
    done
    > >> >with no one
    > >> >> bugging me. Tonite it's primarily due to taking a
    > >> >> much too long nap
    on
    > >> >the couch
    > >> >> earlier in the evening, bad habit I've gotten into.
    > >> >> I sit to watch
    the
    > >> >10PM news
    > >> >> and before I know it I fall asleep ... wake up about
    > >> >> 3 hours later,
    > >raring
    > >> >to go.
    > >> >> <sigh> And I hate going to bed before the kids are
    > >> >> home, can't
    sleep
    > >> >until I know
    > >> >> everyone is safely where they belong. So here I sit,
    > >> >> 2:20 am and
    > >waiting
    > >> >for
    > >> >> youngest daughter to get her butt in the door. <g>
    > >> >>
    > >> >> The saralee bread is good, but it is very light. If
    > >> >> you like
    heavier,
    > >> >more
    > >> >> substantial bread you might not like this. I like
    > >> >> soft and light,
    so
    > >it
    > >> >works
    > >> >> well for me.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> I have problems with vitamins also - not becoming
    > >> >> ill, but anything
    > >with
    > >> >iron
    > >> >> gives me a big problem. Will stop me totally up for
    > >> >> days and days.
    I
    > >did
    > >> >a lot
    > >> >> of looking, finally found a *senior* vitamin that
    > >> >> contained no iron.
    > >It
    > >> >works
    > >> >> well for me, when I remember to take it. <G> If the
    > >> >> vitamins upset
    > >your
    > >> >stomach,
    > >> >> then make them a part of your breakfast or lunch or
    > >> >> dinner routine.
    > >> >Nothing says
    > >> >> they can't be taken with food, or that they have to
    > >> >> be taken in the
    > >> >morning. Hub
    > >> >> used to just put his pills right next to his dinner
    > >> >> plate ... eat
    > >dinner,
    > >> >pop the
    > >> >> pills - became a routine, and still is. I do
    > >> >> remember reading
    > >something
    > >> >about
    > >> >> vitamins not being taken with acidic juices though,
    > >> >> something about
    > >> >absorbtion of
    > >> >> some nutrients. But I figure whatever little bit is
    > >> >> not absorbed is
    > >more
    > >> >than
    > >> >> likely made up by what I eat anyway. I've also heard
    > >> >> of many adults
    > >that
    > >> >take
    > >> >> childrens vitamins. We probably don't need 100% of
    > >> >> whatever is in
    the
    > >> >adult
    > >> >> versions anyway.
    > >> >>
    > >> >> Joyce
    > >> >>
    > >> >> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:33:30 -0600, "skiur"
    > >> >> <[email protected]>
    > >wrote:
    > >> >>
    > >> >> > Very true. I like alone time. What keeps you up
    > >> >> > this late?
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >I think it is TOM. Next month will be better. I
    > >> >> >also passed on
    two
    > >> >lunches
    > >> >> >out because I knew that if it wasn't nailed down it
    > >> >> >was going to my
    > >> >tummy.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >I'll keep the SaraLee in mind when I go to the
    > >> >> >store tonight.
    > >Tomorrow
    > >> >> >we're going to a coworker/friend's place and we're
    > >> >> >doing crab cakes
    > >and
    > >> >> >making sushi. It should be fun. We're meeting at
    > >> >> >Mitsuwa to do
    the
    > >> >> >shopping there so it's authentic.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >I am not surprised that cravings mean a lack of
    > >> >> >nutrients, but I
    feel
    > >> >really
    > >> >> >sick when I take my vitamins. I was told that there
    > >> >> >are a lot of
    > >people
    > >> >who
    > >> >> >get dizzy after taking One-a-days on an empty
    > >> >> >stomach. I am
    > >apparently
    > >> >one
    > >> >> >of them. I don't know what in them that does it
    > >> >> >either.
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >Julie
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >
    > >> >> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >> >> >news:[email protected]...
    > >> >> >> Welcome to my world of the late nite hours (or
    > >> >> >> early morning,
    > >depends
    > >> >on
    > >> >> >how you
    > >> >> >> look at it). <grin> Look on the bright side,
    > >> >> >> during this time
    not
    > >one
    > >> >> >single
    > >> >> >> person is demanding anything of you ... this time
    > >> >> >> is entirely for
    > >YOU!
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> Now this is just my thinking, but I would be
    > >> >> >> willing to guess
    that
    > >the
    > >> >> >hard time
    > >> >> >> this week could very well be due to TOM. Wish I
    > >> >> >> could give you a
    > >> >> >scientific
    > >> >> >> reason as to why, but I have no clue. When all
    > >> >> >> else fails, blame
    it
    > >on
    > >> >> >the
    > >> >> >> hormones. <grin> Only know that I tend to go
    > >> >> >> through the same
    > >thing,
    > >> >> >feeling
    > >> >> >> like I could eat anything that isn't nailed down.
    > >> >> >> I really have
    to
    > >put
    > >> >in
    > >> >> >so much
    > >> >> >> more thought and effort in keeping things in line
    > >> >> >> during this
    time
    > >(and
    > >> >am
    > >> >> >not
    > >> >> >> always successful). BUT ... any damage that might
    > >> >> >> be done, can
    > >always
    > >> >be
    > >> >> >undone.
    > >> >> >> We have the knowledge, we have the tools - it's
    > >> >> >> up to us to do
    the
    > >> >work.
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> I was eating the wonder light wheat bread, tastes
    > >> >> >> great (to me) -
    > >but
    > >> >> >recently
    > >> >> >> have made another switch to SaraLee Delightfuls.
    > >> >> >> It still comes
    out
    > >to
    > >> >1
    > >> >> >point for
    > >> >> >> 2 slices but tastes much better to me. Very soft
    > >> >> >> and light, not
    > >heavy.
    > >> >I
    > >> >> >know me
    > >> >> >> and bread, like it all too well - so will not
    > >> >> >> make the switch
    back
    > >to
    > >> >> >regular
    > >> >> >> versions as I tend to eat too much of it.
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> Cravings can also be due to lacking *something*
    > >> >> >> in nutrients, I
    > >haven't
    > >> >> >figured
    > >> >> >> out how to decipher what my body is telling me
    > >> >> >> though. When I
    > >> >remembered
    > >> >> >to take
    > >> >> >> the multivitamins, I did notice the cravings were
    > >> >> >> less frequent.
    > >> >> >Admittedly, I am
    > >> >> >> horrid at taking them though - hate pills of any
    > >> >> >> kind, they just
    > >aren't
    > >> >a
    > >> >> >routine
    > >> >> >> in my life. I do think it is a good thing to get
    > >> >> >> back into the
    > >habit
    > >> >of
    > >> >> >though,
    > >> >> >> and might be something you want to give some
    > >> >> >> thought to.
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> Joyce
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:27:56 -0600, "skiur"
    > >> >> >> <[email protected]>
    > >> >wrote:
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >> >
    > >> >> >> >It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a
    > >> >> >> >lot to do with
    the
    > >nap
    > >> >> >that
    > >> >> >> >I had and dh's snoring like he plans on bringing
    > >> >> >> >the walls down.
    > >Naps
    > >> >> >> >aren't my friend. I wake up cranky.
    > >> >> >> >
    > >> >> >> >I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier
    > >> >> >> >choices this week
    > >and
    > >> >that
    > >> >> >is
    > >> >> >> >annoying me. First it was the french bread that
    > >> >> >> >I bought to
    have
    > >with
    > >> >> >> >french onion soup. I like white bread a bit too
    > >> >> >> >much and always
    > >have.
    > >> >I
    > >> >> >> >started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but
    > >> >> >> >to be fair most
    of
    > >my
    > >> >> >points
    > >> >> >> >came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was
    > >> >> >> >higher on the
    > >points.
    > >> >> >> >Tuesday and Wednesday same thing. I've noticed
    > >> >> >> >that the veggies
    > >have
    > >> >been
    > >> >> >> >lacking at dinner time and I just don't have the
    > >> >> >> >desire to deal
    > >with
    > >> >it
    > >> >> >> >right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    > >> >> >> >
    > >> >> >> >I've made some changes to the bread I use at
    > >> >> >> >lunchtime. I traded
    in
    > >> >the
    > >> >> >> >Atkins less points bread for a more substantial
    > >> >> >> >wheat bread
    > >> >(difference 1
    > >> >> >> >point). I think it tastes better. I've also been
    > >> >> >> >having Trader
    > >Joe's
    > >> >> >> >yogurt at lunch and while it is good...I prefer
    > >> >> >> >the cottage
    cheese
    > >> >> >singles
    > >> >> >> >with fruit.
    > >> >> >> >
    > >> >> >> >TOM is right around the corner too and that
    > >> >> >> >makes it difficult
    to
    > >> >control
    > >> >> >> >the cravings. Anyone know why?
    > >> >> >> >
    > >> >> >> >Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    > >> >> >> >
    > >> >> >>
    > >> >> >
    > >> >>
    > >> >
    > >>

18. Joyce

Joyce Guest

I do believe their is an exception for siblings. I don't
    know the exact wording (probably have it somewhere in the
    house, as I requested a letter from the state) but it was
    basically that only one passenger in the vehicle that was
    under the age of 18 (or 21??) with exception to siblings.
    BUT ... I took that to mean that they could transport more
    than one younger sibling, but no other passengers. This law
    didn't affect my daughter, as she had her license for more
    than 6 months when the law went into effect. But we did have
    some tense moments, as I would not let her carry any
    passengers until I received clarification from the state.

Another law the state has been trying to pass, but so far
    unsuccessful, is changing the driving curfew to 9PM during
    the week. This has led to a lot of opposition due to more
    teens now working, stores staying open later ... school
    activities later in the evenings with no busing available at
    those hours.

And then the new car seat laws for youngsters, which is
    meeting with a lot of complaints ... all kids must be in car
    seats until the age of 8. That pretty much cuts down on the
    possibility of car pooling to school, going home with
    friends, etc. 8 years old is what ... 3rd grade?

Joyce

On Mon, 8 Mar 2004 18:00:00 -0600, "skiur"

>Oh my. Ok, *your* bedtime doesn't count ;-)
    >
    >I didn't know that about the driving laws. Is there an
    >exception for driving siblings? I would hope there would be
    >an exception for siblings also. I *really* like the last
    >law! That's a good one.
    >
    >> Seeing that I rarely pass out before 4AM, then I guess
    >> she was still in
    >the
    >> reasonable limit. <G> Not really though, due to the
    >> curfew thing. Get in
    >an
    >> accident and insurance is invalid - it's considered
    >> driving without a
    >valid
    >> license.
    >>
    >> It's not a curfew *license* - there are curfew laws.
    >> Under the age of 17,
    >must be
    >> in by 11PM on weekdays, midnite on weekends (Fri. and
    >> Sat.). IL passed a restricted driving law for teens last
    >> summer, it officially went into
    >effect in
    >> January. This states that any driver holding a license
    >> for less than 6
    >months is
    >> only allowed to carry one passenger under the age of 18.
    >> They also have a
    >law
    >> that has been in effect for several years, which I think
    >> is absolutely
    >ridiculous
    >> ... any driver under the age of 21 can/will have their
    >> license suspended
    >if they
    >> receive two ticket convictions in a two year period of
    >> time. This used to
    >be (and
    >> still may be for everyone over the age of 21) three
    >> tickets in one year.
    >I could
    >> understand the validity of 2 tickets in one year ... but
    >> in a two year
    >period of
    >> time seems ridiculous to me. Especially in my area, where
    >> weekly news
    >reports are
    >> printed in the papers as how the police have to start
    >> issuing more tickets
    >to
    >> build revenue ... or make cuts in employment. Needless to
    >> say, we have
    >traps set
    >> up all over. Let's see ... here's another one, but this
    >> one I think is
    >great.
    >> Anyone caught passing a fake id immediately has their
    >> drivers license
    >revoked -
    >> not suspended - taken away for 9 months minimum. At that
    >> time you can go
    >to court
    >> and request a work or school priveledge license, while
    >> waiting (and
    >hoping) to get
    >> your regular license reinstated. This happened to my
    >> neighbor 2 years
    >ago.
    >>
    >> Joyce
    >>
    >> On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 11:17:20 -0600, "skiur"
    >>
    >> >Reasonable = before you passed out from waiting too
    >> >long ;-)
    >> >
    >> >You mean there are curfew licenses in IL? I didn't read
    >> >that part of the manual closely...
    >> >
    >> >> Guess it all depends on what your idea of reasonable
    >> >> is. <g> I
    >received a
    >> >phone
    >> >> call at midnite ... well actually it was a voice mail
    >> >> message, as I
    >slept
    >> >through
    >> >> my ringing cell phone. Said she was going to use her
    >> >> friends hot tub
    >for
    >> >awhile.
    >> >> She and friend rolled in at 2 AM, with bags of white
    >> >> castle and a bad
    >case
    >> >of the
    >> >> giggles. At 3:15 I told them they had two choices ...
    >> >> either I would
    >take
    >> >friend
    >> >> home (was past curfew and they already pushed their
    >> >> luck once) or he
    >could
    >> >spend
    >> >> the night. They opted to sleep on the couch and chair,
    >> >> giggled until
    >> >about 5 when
    >> >> I finally fell asleep. Currently they are still in the
    >> >> family room,
    >> >watching
    >> >> television and planning the rest of their day. Tonite
    >> >> will be an early
    >> >bedtime
    >> >> nite for darling daughter. <g>
    >> >>
    >> >> Joyce
    >> >>
    >> >> On Sun, 7 Mar 2004 10:37:32 -0600, "skiur"
    >wrote:
    >> >>
    >> >> >I've done that too many times too, that's when I
    >> >> >figure that I really
    >> >should
    >> >> >just go to bed and figure out what the news has to
    >> >> >say later :)
    >> >> >
    >> >> >I hope she got in at a reasonable hour so that you
    >> >> >could go to bed.
    >> >> >
    >> >> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> >> >news:[email protected]...
    >> >> >> I've never been a good sleeper, probably get it
    >> >> >> from my mom - she
    >was a
    >> >> >night owl
    >> >> >> also. Sometimes I blame it on working night shifts
    >> >> >> in my youth, but
    >I
    >> >> >know that
    >> >> >> isn't really true. <G> I just like the quiet time,
    >> >> >> can get a lot
    >done
    >> >> >with no one
    >> >> >> bugging me. Tonite it's primarily due to taking a
    >> >> >> much too long nap
    >on
    >> >> >the couch
    >> >> >> earlier in the evening, bad habit I've gotten into.
    >> >> >> I sit to watch
    >the
    >> >> >10PM news
    >> >> >> and before I know it I fall asleep ... wake up
    >> >> >> about 3 hours later,
    >> >raring
    >> >> >to go.
    >> >> >> <sigh> And I hate going to bed before the kids are
    >> >> >> home, can't
    >sleep
    >> >> >until I know
    >> >> >> everyone is safely where they belong. So here I
    >> >> >> sit, 2:20 am and
    >> >waiting
    >> >> >for
    >> >> >> youngest daughter to get her butt in the door. <g>
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> The saralee bread is good, but it is very light. If
    >> >> >> you like
    >heavier,
    >> >> >more
    >> >> >> substantial bread you might not like this. I like
    >> >> >> soft and light,
    >so
    >> >it
    >> >> >works
    >> >> >> well for me.
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> I have problems with vitamins also - not becoming
    >> >> >> ill, but anything
    >> >with
    >> >> >iron
    >> >> >> gives me a big problem. Will stop me totally up for
    >> >> >> days and days.
    >I
    >> >did
    >> >> >a lot
    >> >> >> of looking, finally found a *senior* vitamin that
    >> >> >> contained no iron.
    >> >It
    >> >> >works
    >> >> >> well for me, when I remember to take it. <G> If the
    >> >> >> vitamins upset
    >> >your
    >> >> >stomach,
    >> >> >> then make them a part of your breakfast or lunch or
    >> >> >> dinner routine.
    >> >> >Nothing says
    >> >> >> they can't be taken with food, or that they have to
    >> >> >> be taken in the
    >> >> >morning. Hub
    >> >> >> used to just put his pills right next to his dinner
    >> >> >> plate ... eat
    >> >dinner,
    >> >> >pop the
    >> >> >> pills - became a routine, and still is. I do
    >> >> >> remember reading
    >> >something
    >> >> >about
    >> >> >> vitamins not being taken with acidic juices though,
    >> >> >> something about
    >> >> >absorbtion of
    >> >> >> some nutrients. But I figure whatever little bit is
    >> >> >> not absorbed is
    >> >more
    >> >> >than
    >> >> >> likely made up by what I eat anyway. I've also
    >> >> >> heard of many adults
    >> >that
    >> >> >take
    >> >> >> childrens vitamins. We probably don't need 100% of
    >> >> >> whatever is in
    >the
    >> >> >adult
    >> >> >> versions anyway.
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> Joyce
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 17:33:30 -0600, "skiur"
    >> >> >> <[email protected]>
    >> >wrote:
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >> > Very true. I like alone time. What keeps you up
    >> >> >> > this late?
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >I think it is TOM. Next month will be better. I
    >> >> >> >also passed on
    >two
    >> >> >lunches
    >> >> >> >out because I knew that if it wasn't nailed down
    >> >> >> >it was going to my
    >> >> >tummy.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >I'll keep the SaraLee in mind when I go to the
    >> >> >> >store tonight.
    >> >Tomorrow
    >> >> >> >we're going to a coworker/friend's place and we're
    >> >> >> >doing crab cakes
    >> >and
    >> >> >> >making sushi. It should be fun. We're meeting at
    >> >> >> >Mitsuwa to do
    >the
    >> >> >> >shopping there so it's authentic.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >I am not surprised that cravings mean a lack of
    >> >> >> >nutrients, but I
    >feel
    >> >> >really
    >> >> >> >sick when I take my vitamins. I was told that
    >> >> >> >there are a lot of
    >> >people
    >> >> >who
    >> >> >> >get dizzy after taking One-a-days on an empty
    >> >> >> >stomach. I am
    >> >apparently
    >> >> >one
    >> >> >> >of them. I don't know what in them that does it
    >> >> >> >either.
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >Julie
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:0j8-
    >> >> >> >[email protected]
    >> >> >> >> Welcome to my world of the late nite hours (or
    >> >> >> >> early morning,
    >> >depends
    >> >> >on
    >> >> >> >how you
    >> >> >> >> look at it). <grin> Look on the bright side,
    >> >> >> >> during this time
    >not
    >> >one
    >> >> >> >single
    >> >> >> >> person is demanding anything of you ... this
    >> >> >> >> time is entirely for
    >> >YOU!
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >> Now this is just my thinking, but I would be
    >> >> >> >> willing to guess
    >that
    >> >the
    >> >> >> >hard time
    >> >> >> >> this week could very well be due to TOM. Wish I
    >> >> >> >> could give you a
    >> >> >> >scientific
    >> >> >> >> reason as to why, but I have no clue. When all
    >> >> >> >> else fails, blame
    >it
    >> >on
    >> >> >> >the
    >> >> >> >> hormones. <grin> Only know that I tend to go
    >> >> >> >> through the same
    >> >thing,
    >> >> >> >feeling
    >> >> >> >> like I could eat anything that isn't nailed
    >> >> >> >> down. I really have
    >to
    >> >put
    >> >> >in
    >> >> >> >so much
    >> >> >> >> more thought and effort in keeping things in
    >> >> >> >> line during this
    >time
    >> >(and
    >> >> >am
    >> >> >> >not
    >> >> >> >> always successful). BUT ... any damage that
    >> >> >> >> might be done, can
    >> >always
    >> >> >be
    >> >> >> >undone.
    >> >> >> >> We have the knowledge, we have the tools - it's
    >> >> >> >> up to us to do
    >the
    >> >> >work.
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >> I was eating the wonder light wheat bread,
    >> >> >> >> tastes great (to me) -
    >> >but
    >> >> >> >recently
    >> >> >> >> have made another switch to SaraLee Delightfuls.
    >> >> >> >> It still comes
    >out
    >> >to
    >> >> >1
    >> >> >> >point for
    >> >> >> >> 2 slices but tastes much better to me. Very soft
    >> >> >> >> and light, not
    >> >heavy.
    >> >> >I
    >> >> >> >know me
    >> >> >> >> and bread, like it all too well - so will not
    >> >> >> >> make the switch
    >back
    >> >to
    >> >> >> >regular
    >> >> >> >> versions as I tend to eat too much of it.
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >> Cravings can also be due to lacking *something*
    >> >> >> >> in nutrients, I
    >> >haven't
    >> >> >> >figured
    >> >> >> >> out how to decipher what my body is telling me
    >> >> >> >> though. When I
    >> >> >remembered
    >> >> >> >to take
    >> >> >> >> the multivitamins, I did notice the cravings
    >> >> >> >> were less frequent.
    >> >> >> >Admittedly, I am
    >> >> >> >> horrid at taking them though - hate pills of any
    >> >> >> >> kind, they just
    >> >aren't
    >> >> >a
    >> >> >> >routine
    >> >> >> >> in my life. I do think it is a good thing to get
    >> >> >> >> back into the
    >> >habit
    >> >> >of
    >> >> >> >though,
    >> >> >> >> and might be something you want to give some
    >> >> >> >> thought to.
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >> Joyce
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 03:27:56 -0600, "skiur"
    >> >> >> >> <[email protected]>
    >> >> >wrote:
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >> >It's 3am and I can't sleep. I'm sure that has a
    >> >> >> >> >lot to do with
    >the
    >> >nap
    >> >> >> >that
    >> >> >> >> >I had and dh's snoring like he plans on
    >> >> >> >> >bringing the walls down.
    >> >Naps
    >> >> >> >> >aren't my friend. I wake up cranky.
    >> >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >> >I'm having a hard time sticking with healthier
    >> >> >> >> >choices this week
    >> >and
    >> >> >that
    >> >> >> >is
    >> >> >> >> >annoying me. First it was the french bread that
    >> >> >> >> >I bought to
    >have
    >> >with
    >> >> >> >> >french onion soup. I like white bread a bit too
    >> >> >> >> >much and always
    >> >have.
    >> >> >I
    >> >> >> >> >started out pretty well with it on Sunday, but
    >> >> >> >> >to be fair most
    >of
    >> >my
    >> >> >> >points
    >> >> >> >> >came from white bread on Sunday. Monday, I was
    >> >> >> >> >higher on the
    >> >points.
    >> >> >> >> >Tuesday and Wednesday same thing. I've noticed
    >> >> >> >> >that the veggies
    >> >have
    >> >> >been
    >> >> >> >> >lacking at dinner time and I just don't have
    >> >> >> >> >the desire to deal
    >> >with
    >> >> >it
    >> >> >> >> >right now. Hopefully Thursday will be better.
    >> >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >> >I've made some changes to the bread I use at
    >> >> >> >> >lunchtime. I traded
    >in
    >> >> >the
    >> >> >> >> >Atkins less points bread for a more substantial
    >> >> >> >> >wheat bread
    >> >> >(difference 1
    >> >> >> >> >point). I think it tastes better. I've also
    >> >> >> >> >been having Trader
    >> >Joe's
    >> >> >> >> >yogurt at lunch and while it is good...I prefer
    >> >> >> >> >the cottage
    >cheese
    >> >> >> >singles
    >> >> >> >> >with fruit.
    >> >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >> >TOM is right around the corner too and that
    >> >> >> >> >makes it difficult
    >to
    >> >> >control
    >> >> >> >> >the cravings. Anyone know why?
    >> >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >> >Julie, who is going for a 3.5 hr nap now.
    >> >> >> >> >
    >> >> >> >>
    >> >> >> >
    >> >> >>
    >> >> >
    >> >>
    >> >
    >

19. Kate Dicey

Kate Dicey Guest

Joyce wrote:

> I do believe their is an exception for siblings. I don't
    > know the exact wording (probably have it somewhere in the
    > house, as I requested a letter from the state) but it was
    > basically that only one passenger in the vehicle that was
    > under the age of 18 (or 21??) with exception to siblings.
    > BUT ... I took that to mean that they could transport
    > more than one younger sibling, but no other passengers.
    > This law didn't affect my daughter, as she had her
    > license for more than 6 months when the law went into
    > effect. But we did have some tense moments, as I would
    > not let her carry any passengers until I received
    > clarification from the state.

Does driver age vary from state to state? Here in the UK,
    you have to be 17 to learn to drive. Once you have a full
    licence, you can carry as many passengers as the car will
    legally hold.

> Another law the state has been trying to pass, but so far
    > unsuccessful, is changing the driving curfew to 9PM during
    > the week. This has led to a lot of opposition due to more
    > teens now working, stores staying open later ... school
    > activities later in the evenings with no busing available
    > at those hours.
    >
    > And then the new car seat laws for youngsters, which is
    > meeting with a lot of complaints ... all kids must be in
    > car seats until the age of 8. That pretty much cuts down
    > on the possibility of car pooling to school, going home
    > with friends, etc. 8 years old is what ... 3rd grade?

AKK! THAT wouldn't work for us! We had a car seat for James
    that was supposed to fit a child up to the age of 12... He
    grew out of it last year, aged 8! He's already taller than
    quite a few 13 YO's I've taught in the past. Not skinny,
    either: not fat, but broad as well as tall.
    --

Lady Catherine, Wardrobe Mistress of the Chocolate Buttons
    http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
    Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

20. Joyce

Joyce Guest

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 10:04:56 +0000, Kate Dicey <[email protected]>
    wrote:

>Joyce wrote:
    >
    >> I do believe their is an exception for siblings. I don't
    >> know the exact wording (probably have it somewhere in the
    >> house, as I requested a letter from the state) but it was
    >> basically that only one passenger in the vehicle that was
    >> under the age of 18 (or 21??) with exception to siblings.
    >> BUT ... I took that to mean that they could transport
    >> more than one younger sibling, but no other passengers.
    >> This law didn't affect my daughter, as she had her
    >> license for more than 6 months when the law went into
    >> effect. But we did have some tense moments, as I would
    >> not let her carry any passengers until I received
    >> clarification from the state.
    >
    >Does driver age vary from state to state? Here in the UK,
    >you have to be 17 to learn to drive. Once you have a full
    >licence, you can carry as many passengers as the car will
    >legally hold.

No, the learning age appears to be a federal law - or all
    the states have set their laws to be the same. Kids can
    receive their learners permits at age 15, can apply and test
    for official license at 16. With the permit, they can only
    drive with a licensed adult (over the age of 21) in the
    front seat with them. In order to receive their license,
    they have to submit a written and signed form listing 25
    hours of practice driving time (An Illinois law). This
    doesn't sound like much, until you're the parent that has to
    make sure they accomplish this task. It wasn't easy, seemed
    to take forever. <g> After holding license for 6 months, the
    1 passenger restriction is lifted ... but there is still the
    *seat belt law* - stating all passengers under the age of 18
    MUST wear their seatbelt regardless as to being in the front
    or rear seat (when riding with a driver under the age of
    21). There are all kinds of twists and turns to this
    law. I'm very surprised the police can even keep
    track of them all.

>
    >> Another law the state has been trying to pass, but so far
    >> unsuccessful, is changing the driving curfew to 9PM
    >> during the week. This has led to a lot of opposition due
    >> to more teens now working, stores staying open later ...
    >> school activities later in the evenings with no busing
    >> available at those hours.
    >>
    >> And then the new car seat laws for youngsters, which is
    >> meeting with a lot of complaints ... all kids must be in
    >> car seats until the age of 8. That pretty much cuts down
    >> on the possibility of car pooling to school, going home
    >> with friends, etc. 8 years old is what ... 3rd grade?
    >
    >AKK! THAT wouldn't work for us! We had a car seat for James
    >that was supposed to fit a child up to the age of 12... He
    >grew out of it last year, aged 8! He's already taller than
    >quite a few 13 YO's I've taught in the past. Not skinny,
    >either: not fat, but broad as well as tall.

When I was raising the kids, the age for car seats was 4 or
    40 pounds ... now it's just a flat *age of 8 yrs.*. I know
    several kids who would not have fit into a car seat at 8
    years old - too heavy, too tall, whatever. Some people have
    made complaints that they would now have to go purchase
    larger vehicles, as 3 or more car seats will not fit easily
    into the compacts that they own - yet they can't afford the
    more costly vans or suv's that would hold more seats. I do
    understand the logic behind the law, along with what they
    are trying to accomplish. I don't think it was very well
    thought out. Probably put into effect by men who never once
    had to deal with transporting multiple children. <g>