3am thoughts

Joyce wrote:

> No, the learning age appears to be a federal law - or all
> the states have set their laws to be the same. Kids can
> receive their learners permits at age 15, can apply and
> test for official license at 16. With the permit, they can
> only drive with a licensed adult (over the age of 21) in
> the front seat with them. In order to receive their
> license, they have to submit a written and signed form
> listing 25 hours of practice driving time (An Illinois
> law). This doesn't sound like much, until you're the
> parent that has to make sure they accomplish this task. It
> wasn't easy, seemed to take forever. <g> After holding
> license for 6 months, the 1 passenger restriction is
> lifted ... but there is still the *seat belt law* -
> stating all passengers under the age of 18 MUST wear their
> seatbelt regardless as to being in the front or rear seat
> (when riding with a driver under the age of
> 21). There are all kinds of twists and turns to this law.
> I'm very surprised the police can even keep track of
> them all.

Here you can apply for your provisional licence on your 17th
birthday, and pass your test that day too if you like! I've
had several friends do that: Kids of farmers who've been
driving the farm stuff for years, since they were literally
too small to reach all the pedals!

For us for cars it doesn't matter where you sit you have to
wear a seatbelt unless you have a job or medical exemption.
I don't think car seats are mandatory, but they are advised.
The wording is 'suitably restrained', I think. This can mean
a car seat for tiddlers, a booster seat for larger kids, or
one of those lap things that hold the seat belt into the
right non-strangling position.

When I was raising the kids, the age for car seats was 4 or
40 pounds ... now it's

> just a flat *age of 8 yrs.*. I know several kids who would
> not have fit into a car seat at 8 years old - too heavy,
> too tall, whatever. Some people have made complaints that
> they would now have to go purchase larger vehicles, as 3
> or more car seats will not fit easily into the compacts
> that they own - yet they can't afford the more costly vans
> or suv's that would hold more seats. I do understand the
> logic behind the law, along with what they are trying to
> accomplish. I don't think it was very well thought out.
> Probably put into effect by men who never once had to deal
> with transporting multiple children. <g>

Hah! Beaurocracy gorn mad, innit.

> Joyce

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

What is with CA laws? Strict on the driving issues, yet I
heard on the news tonite that they want to make an
ammendment (or something) that will allow voting in state
elections at the age of 14. 14 yr. old votes count as a
quarter of a vote ... 16 yrs. old count as half a vote. Is
it just me, or is this ridiculous? I know my kids didn't
have a clue or care about the political issues, tax
referendums or whatever were being voted for.

Joyce

On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:39:44 -0800, "Deb in Northern
California"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>> permit, they can only
>drive
>> with a licensed adult (over the age of 21) in the front
>> seat with them.
>In order
>> to receive their license, they have to submit a written
>> and signed form
>listing 25
>> hours of practice driving time (An Illinois law). This
>> doesn't sound like
>much,
>> until you're the parent that has to make sure they
>> accomplish this task.
>It
>> wasn't easy, seemed to take forever. <g> After holding
>> license for 6
>months, the
>> 1 passenger restriction is lifted ... but there is still
>> the *seat belt
>law* -
>> stating all passengers under the age of 18 MUST wear
>> their seatbelt
>regardless as
>> to being in the front or rear seat (when riding with a
>> driver under the
>age of
>> 21). There are all kinds of twists and turns to this law.
>> I'm very
>surprised
>> the police can even keep track of them all.

>is
>lot of
>school
>hours.

>lot of
>pretty much
>friends,
>> >
>> >AKK! THAT wouldn't work for us! We had a car seat for
>> >James that was supposed to fit a child up to the age of
>> >12... He grew out of it last year, aged 8! He's already
>> >taller than quite a few 13 YO's I've taught in the past.
>> >Not skinny, either: not fat, but broad as well as tall.
>>
>> When I was raising the kids, the age for car seats was 4
>> or 40 pounds ...
>now it's
>> just a flat *age of 8 yrs.*. I know several kids who
>> would not have fit
>into a
>> car seat at 8 years old - too heavy, too tall, whatever.
>> Some people have
>made
>> complaints that they would now have to go purchase larger
>> vehicles, as 3
>or more
>> car seats will not fit easily into the compacts that they
>> own - yet they
>can't
>> afford the more costly vans or suv's that would hold more
>> seats. I do
>understand
>> the logic behind the law, along with what they are trying
>> to accomplish.
>I don't
>> think it was very well thought out. Probably put into
>> effect by men who
>never
>> once had to deal with transporting multiple children. <g>

Joyce the state of New Jersey (Kate it's not far from New
York City incase you didn't know) will not let you get
your driver's license until you are 17 years of age and
there are restrictions. My best friend and her older
brother lived in Pennsylvania and could get their license
at 16. They ended up moving to New Jersey and their little
brother was really irritated that they could drive before
him. In his particular case, they should have waited longer-
but I digress.

> [...]

much,
> until you're the parent that has to make sure they
> accomplish this task.
It
> wasn't easy, seemed to take forever. <g> After holding
> license for 6
months, the
> 1 passenger restriction is lifted ... but there is still
> the *seat belt
law* -
> stating all passengers under the age of 18 MUST wear their
> seatbelt
regardless as
> to being in the front or rear seat (when riding with a
> driver under the
age of
> 21). There are all kinds of twists and turns to this law.
> I'm very
surprised
> the police can even keep track of them all.

I'm not sure if it is a federal law. NJ's min age for the
learners permit is 16 and until the age of 18 you have
various restrictions. At 18 you get your full license. Our
seatbelt law applies to everyone in the car regardless of
age. These laws seem to vary from state to state.

> >> Another law the state has been trying to pass, but so
> >> far unsuccessful,
is
> >> changing the driving curfew to 9PM during the week.
> >> This has led to a
lot of
> >> opposition due to more teens now working, stores
> >> staying open later ...
school
> >> activities later in the evenings with no busing
> >> available at those
hours.

I'd love to see a 10 or 11pm curfew for kids under 18. The
only exception would be if they are coming home from work.
This would certainly cut down on their party time.

> >> And then the new car seat laws for youngsters, which is
> >> meeting with a
lot of
> >> complaints ... all kids must be in car seats until the
> >> age of 8. That
pretty much
> >> cuts down on the possibility of car pooling to school,
> >> going home with
friends,
> >> etc. 8 years old is what ... 3rd grade?
> >
> >AKK! THAT wouldn't work for us! We had a car seat for
> >James that was supposed to fit a child up to the age of
> >12... He grew out of it last year, aged 8! He's already
> >taller than quite a few 13 YO's I've taught in the past.
> >Not skinny, either: not fat, but broad as well as tall.
>
> When I was raising the kids, the age for car seats was 4
> or 40 pounds ...
now it's
> just a flat *age of 8 yrs.*. I know several kids who would
> not have fit
into a
> car seat at 8 years old - too heavy, too tall, whatever.
> Some people have
made
> complaints that they would now have to go purchase larger
> vehicles, as 3
or more
> car seats will not fit easily into the compacts that they
> own - yet they
can't
> afford the more costly vans or suv's that would hold more
> seats. I do
understand
> the logic behind the law, along with what they are trying
> to accomplish.
I don't
> think it was very well thought out. Probably put into
> effect by men who
never
> once had to deal with transporting multiple children. <g>

NJ law is kids under 8 years old or under 85 pounds have to
be in a car seat. We've had that law for about 5 years now.

It seems to me that my niece, who lives in Missouri had 40 hours with an
adult before she could test. DH let her drive while she stayed with us here
in Illinois. Man am I glad we are child free, Lee
> [...]
into a
> car seat at 8 years old - too heavy, too tall, whatever.
> Some people have
made
> complaints that they would now have to go purchase larger
> vehicles, as 3
or more
> car seats will not fit easily into the compacts that they
> own - yet they
can't
> afford the more costly vans or suv's that would hold more
> seats. I do
understand
> the logic behind the law, along with what they are trying
> to accomplish.
I don't
> think it was very well thought out. Probably put into
> effect by men who
never
> once had to deal with transporting multiple children. <g>

I agree, I know even though I was allowed to vote at 18, I
did not register to vote until I was 22 or 23. Have voted
ever since too. I don't think a child of 14-16 are old
enough to make an informed decision and that is what voting
should be, an informed decision on an issue so that you have
a say so in it. I know a bunch of school boards, that would
like for the kids to vote so they can get the school bond
issues to go through. Funny thing is, the politician that
was proposing that amendment said we had record low voter
turn out and that was why he wanted to get more people into
the polls. I think if people were more informed they would
be more likely to go to the polls and vote.

Debbie

"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> What is with CA laws? Strict on the driving issues, yet I
> heard on the
news
> tonite that they want to make an ammendment (or something)
> that will allow
voting
> in state elections at the age of 14. 14 yr. old votes
> count as a quarter
of a
> vote ... 16 yrs. old count as half a vote. Is it just me,
> or is this
ridiculous?
> I know my kids didn't have a clue or care about the
> political issues, tax referendums or whatever were being
> voted for.
>
> Joyce
>
> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:39:44 -0800, "Deb in Northern
> California"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >California law is 7 years or 70 pounds. So they do vary
> >by state. Also
the
> >teen provisional license in California is NO passenger
> >for the 1st 6
months
> >under the age of 25. So the laws do vary by state, but
> >only slightly.
> >
> >Not looking forward to my youngest getting her drivers
> >permit soon. She will be getting it during Spring break
> >(the week before Easter). The she has to have it for 6
> >months before she can become licensed. She will be
16
> >and a few months when she gets her license then.
> >
> >Debbie
> >
> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 10:04:56 +0000, Kate Dicey
> ><[email protected]>

> >exact wording
from
> >the state)
> >under the age
> >mean that they
passengers.
> >This law
> >months when the
would
> >not let her

> >> No, the learning age appears to be a federal law - or
> >> all the states
have
> >set
> >> their laws to be the same. Kids can receive their
> >> learners permits at
age
> >15, can
> >> apply and test for official license at 16. With the
> >> permit, they can
only
> >drive
> >> with a licensed adult (over the age of 21) in the front
> >> seat with them.
> >In order
> >> to receive their license, they have to submit a written
> >> and signed form
> >listing 25
> >> hours of practice driving time (An Illinois law). This
> >> doesn't sound
like
> >much,
> >> until you're the parent that has to make sure they
> >> accomplish this
task.
> >It
> >> wasn't easy, seemed to take forever. <g> After holding
> >> license for 6
> >months, the
> >> 1 passenger restriction is lifted ... but there is
> >> still the *seat belt
> >law* -
> >> stating all passengers under the age of 18 MUST wear
> >> their seatbelt
> >regardless as
> >> to being in the front or rear seat (when riding with a
> >> driver under the
> >age of
> >> 21). There are all kinds of twists and turns to this
> >> law. I'm very
> >surprised
> >> the police can even keep track of them all.

unsuccessful,
> >is
> >lot of
> >school
> >hours.

> >lot of
That
> >pretty much
with
> >friends,

> >> When I was raising the kids, the age for car seats was
> >> 4 or 40 pounds
> >now it's
> >> just a flat *age of 8 yrs.*. I know several kids who
> >> would not have
fit
> >into a
> >> car seat at 8 years old - too heavy, too tall,
> >> whatever. Some people
have
3
> >or more
> >> car seats will not fit easily into the compacts that
> >> they own - yet
they
> >can't
> >> afford the more costly vans or suv's that would hold
> >> more seats. I do
> >understand
> >> the logic behind the law, along with what they are
> >> trying to
accomplish.
> >I don't
> >> think it was very well thought out. Probably put into
> >> effect by men
who
> >never
> >> once had to deal with transporting multiple
> >> children. <g>
> >>
> >> Joyce

In NJ you can get your learners permit at age 16 but you are
only allowed to drive with an instructor or a parent until
17. I like the new restrictions that they put on kids here.
Too many kids get little or no driving experience but have
their drivers license. My step daughter had her 6 hours of
instruction over the course of a weekend. Took the test on
tuesday. I'm amazed that she passed. It took her another 6
months before she could navigate a parking lot correctly.
The schools stopped giving driving class due to the high
cost of insurance. The local driving schools pump out kids
so fast just to make money. They don't care if the kid has
learned to drive or not. They got their money. Too many high
school kids have been killed because they did not have
proper driving instruction or meaning full 6 hours of
experience before getting their license. As a parent I am
grateful for the recent law changes.

Laura (from NJ)

"skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kE6dnZ06VIWj9dPd3cwC-
[email protected]...
> Joyce the state of New Jersey (Kate it's not far from New
> York City incase you didn't know) will not let you get
> your driver's license until you are
17
> years of age and there are restrictions. My best friend
> and her older brother lived in Pennsylvania and could get
> their license at 16. They
ended
> up moving to New Jersey and their little brother was
> really irritated that they could drive before him. In his
> particular case, they should have waited longer-but I
> digress.
>

> "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 10:04:56 +0000, Kate Dicey
> <[email protected]>
> > wrote:

> exact wording
from
> the state)
> under the age
> mean that they
passengers.
> This law
> months when the
> not let her
> > >
> > >Does driver age vary from state to state? Here in the
> > >UK, you have to be 17 to learn to drive. Once you have
> > >a full licence, you can carry as many passengers as the
> > >car will legally hold.
> >
> > No, the learning age appears to be a federal law - or
> > all the states
have
> set
> > their laws to be the same. Kids can receive their
> > learners permits at
age
> 15, can
> > apply and test for official license at 16. With the
> > permit, they can
only
> drive
> > with a licensed adult (over the age of 21) in the front
> > seat with them.
> In order
> > to receive their license, they have to submit a written
> > and signed form
> listing 25
> > hours of practice driving time (An Illinois law). This
> > doesn't sound
like
> much,
> > until you're the parent that has to make sure they
> > accomplish this task.
> It
> > wasn't easy, seemed to take forever. <g> After holding
> > license for 6
> months, the
> > 1 passenger restriction is lifted ... but there is still
> > the *seat belt
> law* -
> > stating all passengers under the age of 18 MUST wear
> > their seatbelt
> regardless as
> > to being in the front or rear seat (when riding with a
> > driver under the
> age of
> > 21). There are all kinds of twists and turns to this
> > law. I'm very
> surprised
> > the police can even keep track of them all.

unsuccessful,
> is
> lot of
> school
> hours.

> lot of
That
> pretty much
with
> friends,
> > >
> > >AKK! THAT wouldn't work for us! We had a car seat for
> > >James that was supposed to fit a child up to the age of
> > >12... He grew out of it last year, aged 8! He's already
> > >taller than quite a few 13 YO's I've taught in the
> > >past. Not skinny, either: not fat, but broad as well as
> > >tall.
> >
> > When I was raising the kids, the age for car seats was 4
> > or 40 pounds
> now it's
> > just a flat *age of 8 yrs.*. I know several kids who
> > would not have fit
> into a
> > car seat at 8 years old - too heavy, too tall, whatever.
> > Some people
have

skiur wrote:

> Joyce the state of New Jersey (Kate it's not far from New
> York City incase you didn't know) will not let you get
> your driver's license until you are 17 years of age and
> there are restrictions. My best friend and her older
> brother lived in Pennsylvania and could get their license
> at 16. They ended up moving to New Jersey and their little
> brother was really irritated that they could drive before
> him. In his particular case, they should have waited longer-
> but I digress.

New York I can place, but when it gets to Idaho or Utah,
I get lost!

I'm a bit wooly on our driving laws as I'm a non driver.
Tried learning (was quite good at it, aparantly!) but hated
it. After I had to stop lessons due to falling down the
stairs, I gave up.

http://www.diceyhome.free-online.co.uk
Click on Kate's Pages and explore!

Where in NJ?

Julie <--lived in Bridgewater area

"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:M9w3c.181469$hR.3353273@bgtnsc05-
news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> In NJ you can get your learners permit at age 16 but you
> are only allowed
> drive with an instructor or a parent until 17. I like the
> new restrictions that they put on kids here. Too many kids
> get little or no driving experience but have their drivers
> license. My step daughter had her 6
hours
> of instruction over the course of a weekend. Took the test
> on tuesday. I'm amazed that she passed. It took her
> another 6 months before she could navigate a parking lot
> correctly. The schools stopped giving driving class due to
> the high cost of insurance. The local driving schools pump
> out kids so fast just to make money. They don't care if
> the kid has learned to
drive
> or not. They got their money. Too many high school kids
> have been killed because they did not have proper driving
> instruction or meaning full 6
hours
> of experience before getting their license. As a parent I
> am grateful for the recent law changes.
>
> Laura (from NJ)
>
> "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kE6dnZ06VIWj9dPd3cwC-
> [email protected]...
> > Joyce the state of New Jersey (Kate it's not far from
> > New York City
incase
> > you didn't know) will not let you get your driver's
> > license until you
are
> 17
> > years of age and there are restrictions. My best friend
> > and her older brother lived in Pennsylvania and could
> > get their license at 16. They
> ended
> > up moving to New Jersey and their little brother was
> > really irritated
that
> > they could drive before him. In his particular case,
> > they should have waited longer-but I digress.
> >

> > "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 10:04:56 +0000, Kate Dicey
> > <[email protected]>

> > exact wording
> from
> > the state)
was
> > under the age
> > mean that they
> passengers.
> > This law
> > months when the
would
> > not let her

> > > No, the learning age appears to be a federal law - or
> > > all the states
> have
> > set
> > > their laws to be the same. Kids can receive their
> > > learners permits at
> age
> > 15, can
> > > apply and test for official license at 16. With the
> > > permit, they can
> only
> > drive
> > > with a licensed adult (over the age of 21) in the
> > > front seat with
them.
> > In order
> > > to receive their license, they have to submit a
> > > written and signed
form
> > listing 25
> > > hours of practice driving time (An Illinois law). This
> > > doesn't sound
> like
> > much,
> > > until you're the parent that has to make sure they
> > > accomplish this
task.
> > It
> > > wasn't easy, seemed to take forever. <g> After holding
> > > license for 6
> > months, the
> > > 1 passenger restriction is lifted ... but there is
> > > still the *seat
belt
> > law* -
> > > stating all passengers under the age of 18 MUST wear
> > > their seatbelt
> > regardless as
> > > to being in the front or rear seat (when riding with a
> > > driver under
the
> > age of
> > > 21). There are all kinds of twists and turns to this
> > > law. I'm very
> > surprised
> > > the police can even keep track of them all.

> unsuccessful,
> > is
> > lot of
> > school
> > hours.

with
> > lot of
> That
> > pretty much
> with
> > friends,

was

> > > When I was raising the kids, the age for car seats was
> > > 4 or 40 pounds
> > now it's
> > > just a flat *age of 8 yrs.*. I know several kids who
> > > would not have
fit
3
> > or more
> > > car seats will not fit easily into the compacts that
> > > they own - yet
they
> > can't
> > > afford the more costly vans or suv's that would hold
> > > more seats. I do
> > understand
> > > the logic behind the law, along with what they are
> > > trying to
accomplish.
> > I don't
> > > think it was very well thought out. Probably put into
> > > effect by men
who
> > never
> > > once had to deal with transporting multiple
> > > children. <g>
> > >
> > > Joyce

Just south of there, in Hillsborough. Down Rt 206 towards
Princeton.

"skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2vmdnTZgp-6BN9Pd3cwC-
[email protected]...
> Where in NJ?
>
> Julie <--lived in Bridgewater area
>
> "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:M9w3c.181469$hR.3353273@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > In NJ you can get your learners permit at age 16 but you
> > are only
allowed
> > drive with an instructor or a parent until 17. I like
> > the new
restrictions
> > that they put on kids here. Too many kids get little or
> > no driving experience but have their drivers license. My
> > step daughter had her 6
> hours
> > of instruction over the course of a weekend. Took the
> > test on tuesday.
I'm
> > amazed that she passed. It took her another 6 months
> > before she could navigate a parking lot correctly. The
> > schools stopped giving driving
class
> > due to the high cost of insurance. The local driving
> > schools pump out
kids
> > so fast just to make money. They don't care if the kid
> > has learned to
> drive
> > or not. They got their money. Too many high school kids
> > have been killed because they did not have proper
> > driving instruction or meaning full 6
> hours
> > of experience before getting their license. As a parent
> > I am grateful
for
> > the recent law changes.
> >
> > Laura (from NJ)
> >
> > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kE6dnZ06VIWj9dPd3cwC-
> > [email protected]...
> > > Joyce the state of New Jersey (Kate it's not far from
> > > New York City
> incase
> > > you didn't know) will not let you get your driver's
> > > license until you
> are
> > 17
> > > years of age and there are restrictions. My best
> > > friend and her older brother lived in Pennsylvania and
> > > could get their license at 16. They
> > ended
> > > up moving to New Jersey and their little brother was
> > > really irritated
> that
> > > they could drive before him. In his particular case,
> > > they should have waited longer-but I digress.
> > >

> > > "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > <[email protected]>

the
> > > exact wording
> > from
> > > the state)
> was
> > > under the age
> > > mean that they
> > passengers.
> > > This law
> > > months when the
> would
> > > not let her
state.

> > have
> > > set
at
> > age
> > > 15, can
can
> > only
> > > drive
> them.
> > > In order
> form
> > > listing 25
sound
6
> > > months, the
> belt
> > > law* -
> > > regardless as
> the
> > > age of
very
> > > surprised

> > unsuccessful,
> > > is
> > > lot of
later
> > > school
those
> > > hours.

> with
> > > lot of
> > That
> > > pretty much
> > with
> > > friends,

> was
8!
skinny,

pounds
> > > now it's
> fit
> > > into a
people
> > have
> > > made
as
> 3
> > > or more
> they
> > > can't
do
> > > understand
> accomplish.
> > > I don't
> who
> > > never

Just south of there, in Hillsborough. Down Rt 206 towards
Princeton.

"skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2vmdnTZgp-6BN9Pd3cwC-
[email protected]...
> Where in NJ?
>
> Julie <--lived in Bridgewater area
>
> "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:M9w3c.181469$hR.3353273@bgtnsc05-
> news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > In NJ you can get your learners permit at age 16 but you
> > are only
allowed
> > drive with an instructor or a parent until 17. I like
> > the new
restrictions
> > that they put on kids here. Too many kids get little or
> > no driving experience but have their drivers license. My
> > step daughter had her 6
> hours
> > of instruction over the course of a weekend. Took the
> > test on tuesday.
I'm
> > amazed that she passed. It took her another 6 months
> > before she could navigate a parking lot correctly. The
> > schools stopped giving driving
class
> > due to the high cost of insurance. The local driving
> > schools pump out
kids
> > so fast just to make money. They don't care if the kid
> > has learned to
> drive
> > or not. They got their money. Too many high school kids
> > have been killed because they did not have proper
> > driving instruction or meaning full 6
> hours
> > of experience before getting their license. As a parent
> > I am grateful
for
> > the recent law changes.
> >
> > Laura (from NJ)
> >
> > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kE6dnZ06VIWj9dPd3cwC-
> > [email protected]...
> > > Joyce the state of New Jersey (Kate it's not far from
> > > New York City
> incase
> > > you didn't know) will not let you get your driver's
> > > license until you
> are
> > 17
> > > years of age and there are restrictions. My best
> > > friend and her older brother lived in Pennsylvania and
> > > could get their license at 16. They
> > ended
> > > up moving to New Jersey and their little brother was
> > > really irritated
> that
> > > they could drive before him. In his particular case,
> > > they should have waited longer-but I digress.
> > >

> > > "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...
> > > <[email protected]>

the
> > > exact wording
> > from
> > > the state)
> was
> > > under the age
> > > mean that they
> > passengers.
> > > This law
> > > months when the
> would
> > > not let her
state.

> > have
> > > set
at
> > age
> > > 15, can
can
> > only
> > > drive
> them.
> > > In order
> form
> > > listing 25
sound
6
> > > months, the
> belt
> > > law* -
> > > regardless as
> the
> > > age of
very
> > > surprised

> > unsuccessful,
> > > is
> > > lot of
later
> > > school
those
> > > hours.

> with
> > > lot of
> > That
> > > pretty much
> > with
> > > friends,

> was
8!
skinny,

pounds
> > > now it's
> fit
> > > into a
people
> > have
> > > made
as
> 3
> > > or more
> they
> > > can't
do
> > > understand
> accomplish.
> > > I don't
> who
> > > never

cool deal.
"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just south of there, in Hillsborough. Down Rt 206 towards
> Princeton.
>
> "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2vmdnTZgp-6BN9Pd3cwC-
> [email protected]...
> > Where in NJ?
> >
> > Julie <--lived in Bridgewater area
> >
> > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:M9w3c.181469$hR.3353273@bgtnsc05-
> > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > > In NJ you can get your learners permit at age 16 but
> > > you are only
> allowed
> > > drive with an instructor or a parent until 17. I like
> > > the new
> restrictions
> > > that they put on kids here. Too many kids get little
> > > or no driving experience but have their drivers
> > > license. My step daughter had her 6
> > hours
> > > of instruction over the course of a weekend. Took the
> > > test on tuesday.
> I'm
> > > amazed that she passed. It took her another 6 months
> > > before she could navigate a parking lot correctly. The
> > > schools stopped giving driving
> class
> > > due to the high cost of insurance. The local driving
> > > schools pump out
> kids
> > > so fast just to make money. They don't care if the kid
> > > has learned to
> > drive
> > > or not. They got their money. Too many high school
> > > kids have been
killed
> > > because they did not have proper driving instruction
> > > or meaning full 6
> > hours
> > > of experience before getting their license. As a
> > > parent I am grateful
> for
> > > the recent law changes.
> > >
> > > Laura (from NJ)
> > >
> > > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kE6dnZ06VIWj9dPd3cwC-
> > > [email protected]...
> > incase
you
> > are
> > > 17
older
They
> > > ended
irritated
> > that
have

> the
letter
> > > from
that
> > was
that
6
> > would
> state.

have

states
> > > have
permits
> at
> > > age
> can
> > > only
> > them.
> > form
> sound
> > > like
> > task.
for
> 6
> > belt
seatbelt
under
> > the
> very

> > > unsuccessful,
led
> later
> those

> > with
8.
> > > That
home
> > > with

that
> > was
> 8!
> skinny,

> pounds
have
> > fit
> people
> > > have
vehicles,
> as
> > 3
yet
> > they
> do
> > accomplish.
men
> > who

cool deal.
"Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just south of there, in Hillsborough. Down Rt 206 towards
> Princeton.
>
> "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:2vmdnTZgp-6BN9Pd3cwC-
> [email protected]...
> > Where in NJ?
> >
> > Julie <--lived in Bridgewater area
> >
> > "Laura" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:M9w3c.181469$hR.3353273@bgtnsc05-
> > news.ops.worldnet.att.net...
> > > In NJ you can get your learners permit at age 16 but
> > > you are only
> allowed
> > > drive with an instructor or a parent until 17. I like
> > > the new
> restrictions
> > > that they put on kids here. Too many kids get little
> > > or no driving experience but have their drivers
> > > license. My step daughter had her 6
> > hours
> > > of instruction over the course of a weekend. Took the
> > > test on tuesday.
> I'm
> > > amazed that she passed. It took her another 6 months
> > > before she could navigate a parking lot correctly. The
> > > schools stopped giving driving
> class
> > > due to the high cost of insurance. The local driving
> > > schools pump out
> kids
> > > so fast just to make money. They don't care if the kid
> > > has learned to
> > drive
> > > or not. They got their money. Too many high school
> > > kids have been
killed
> > > because they did not have proper driving instruction
> > > or meaning full 6
> > hours
> > > of experience before getting their license. As a
> > > parent I am grateful
> for
> > > the recent law changes.
> > >
> > > Laura (from NJ)
> > >
> > > "skiur" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:kE6dnZ06VIWj9dPd3cwC-
> > > [email protected]...
> > incase
you
> > are
> > > 17
older
They
> > > ended
irritated
> > that
have

> the
letter
> > > from
that
> > was
that
6
> > would
> state.

have

states
> > > have
permits
> at
> > > age
> can
> > > only
> > them.
> > form
> sound
> > > like
> > task.
for
> 6
> > belt
seatbelt
under
> > the
> very

> > > unsuccessful,
led
> later
> those

> > with
8.
> > > That
home
> > > with

that
> > was
> 8!
> skinny,

> pounds
have
> > fit
> people
> > > have
vehicles,
> as
> > 3
yet
> > they
> do
> > accomplish.
men
> > who

I wish they would put as much thought into ALL licensing as
they do into the kids. It amazed me when I was at traffic
court last month (hub hit a women who was backing up down a
one way street). There were several people there who did not
have licenses because they had no social security card (here
on visa's) ... were issued tickets, then had them thrown out
when they were in court. Some of them were on their 3rd time
around for the same thing! Now you know they just walked out
of court and got into their car to go home. What's wrong
with this picture?

And I know my mom should not have been driving as long as
she had - yet she only had to go the the licensing facility
and have a yearly eye exam .. no written testing, no driving
testing - license renewed for another year. My fil had his
license renewed for 4 years when he was 80 years old. And
I've ridden with people my age that I will never get into a
vehicle with again! Hub talks about some of the truck
drivers he deals with who are on multiple DUI's ... yet
their license can't be taken permanently away because
driving is their living. That's pretty dang scary!

Guess there are just too many people now to try and deal
with all the different scenarios.

Joyce

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 03:43:40 GMT, "Laura"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>> into a
>> > car seat at 8 years old - too heavy, too tall,
>> > whatever. Some people
>have
>> made
>> > complaints that they would now have to go purchase
>> > larger vehicles, as 3
>> or more
>> > car seats will not fit easily into the compacts that
>> > they own - yet they
>> can't
>> > afford the more costly vans or suv's that would hold
>> > more seats. I do
>> understand
>> > the logic behind the law, along with what they are
>> > trying to accomplish.
>> I don't
>> > think it was very well thought out. Probably put into
>> > effect by men who
>> never
>> > once had to deal with transporting multiple

That was my thoughts, and hubs, exactly ... school funding
issues. Around here, the school staff is constantly telling
the students how rough it is, what programs must be cut, how
teachers will be let go ... UNLESS ... I could just see
allowing the *kids* to vote, with all the influence that the
staff is putting on them. We see it anyway, kids were always
coming home from school telling us that if we didn't vote
for the current referendum their favorite teacher would no
longer have a job.

Sometimes the polling attendence doesn't have anything to do
with being informed - although it usually does. I expect we
will have a record low turnout here next week, no real good
reason to go. There are no referendums on the ballot,
republican and democratic candidates are already firm, and
no local stuff to get excited over.

Joyce

On Wed, 10 Mar 2004 22:13:30 -0800, "Deb in Northern
California"
<[email protected]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> On Tue, 9 Mar 2004 18:39:44 -0800, "Deb in Northern
>> California"
>> <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >California law is 7 years or 70 pounds. So they do vary
>> >by state. Also
>the
>> >teen provisional license in California is NO passenger
>> >for the 1st 6
>months
>> >under the age of 25. So the laws do vary by state, but
>> >only slightly.
>> >
>> >Not looking forward to my youngest getting her drivers
>> >permit soon. She will be getting it during Spring break
>> >(the week before Easter). The she has to have it for 6
>> >months before she can become licensed. She will be
>16
>> >and a few months when she gets her license then.
>> >
>> >Debbie
>> >
>> >"Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 16:27:59 +0000, Kate Dicey <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Joyce wrote:
>
>> No, the learning age appears to be a federal law - or all
>> the states have set their laws to be the same. Kids can
>> receive their learners permits at age 15, can apply and
>> test for official license at 16. With the permit, they
>> can only drive with a licensed adult (over the age of 21)
>> in the front seat with them. In order to receive their
>> license, they have to submit a written and signed form
>> listing 25 hours of practice driving time (An Illinois
>> law). This doesn't sound like much, until you're the
>> parent that has to make sure they accomplish this task.
>> It wasn't easy, seemed to take forever. <g> After holding
>> license for 6 months, the 1 passenger restriction is
>> lifted ... but there is still the *seat belt law* -
>> stating all passengers under the age of 18 MUST wear
>> their seatbelt regardless as to being in the front or
>> rear seat (when riding with a driver under the age of
>> 21). There are all kinds of twists and turns to this law.
>> I'm very surprised the police can even keep track of
>> them all.
>
>Here you can apply for your provisional licence on your
>17th birthday, and pass your test that day too if you like!
>I've had several friends do that: Kids of farmers who've
>been driving the farm stuff for years, since they were
>literally too small to reach all the pedals!

You can do that here, but have to be 18. If you want to
drive earlier (at 16) then you have to take a drivers ed
program, either privately or through the local schools.

>For us for cars it doesn't matter where you sit you have to
>wear a seatbelt unless you have a job or medical exemption.
>I don't think car seats are mandatory, but they are
>advised. The wording is 'suitably restrained', I think.
>This can mean a car seat for tiddlers, a booster seat for
>larger kids, or one of those lap things that hold the seat
>belt into the right non-strangling position.

I do believe in restraints for all passengers, hate to say
how many deaths I have heard of due to occupants being
ejected from the vehicles. If the restraints (in whatever
form) will give us a fighting chance, then I'm all for it.

>When I was raising the kids, the age for car seats was 4 or
>40 pounds ... now it's
>
>> just a flat *age of 8 yrs.*. I know several kids who
>> would not have fit into a car seat at 8 years old - too
>> heavy, too tall, whatever. Some people have made
>> complaints that they would now have to go purchase larger
>> vehicles, as 3 or more car seats will not fit easily into
>> the compacts that they own - yet they can't afford the
>> more costly vans or suv's that would hold more seats. I
>> do understand the logic behind the law, along with what
>> they are trying to accomplish. I don't think it was very
>> well thought out. Probably put into effect by men who
>> never once had to deal with transporting multiple
>> children. <g>
>
>Hah! Beaurocracy gorn mad, innit.

LOL! Sure is!

Joyce

>> Joyce

Thanks for the info - so licensing laws must be a state
thing, not federal. I do think parents need to be more
realistic in deciding if their child is truly ready to
drive. My daughters friend should not have his license .. he
still can't park well. I think he has hit 3 cars in parking
lots, sideswiped an ATM machine ... that I'm aware of. <G>

Joyce