3rd party liability

James Hodson

Guest
Hi all

In a Toblerone-dominated thread, John Hearns said:
>Don't know about Zurich specifically. But you will have to get a yearly bicycle permit, for each
>bike. Go to the Migros supermarket - they cost about 10-15 francs. The permit carries third party
>liability insurance.

This sounds like an excellent idea to me. Has anybody or any group ever tried to introduce a similar
scheme in the country? It sounds better to me than the oft-said "Chuck an extra tenner on the price
of a bike" idea. This would just give manufacturers or LBSs an excuse to increase the bike price
unnecessarily - by far more than £10.00, in my cyincal opinion.

James

--
"Watch the kite, not where you're going!"

"James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> This sounds like an excellent idea to me. Has anybody or any group ever tried to introduce a
> similar scheme in the country? It sounds better to me than the oft-said "Chuck an extra tenner on
> the price of a bike" idea. This would just give manufacturers or LBSs an excuse to increase the
> bike price unnecessarily - by far more than £10.00, in my cyincal opinion.

Don't most household policies have £1m 3rd party liability as standard.....I'm sure mine has it
built in without extra cost.

On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:39:02 +0100, Adrian Boliston <[email protected]> wrote:
> "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>> This sounds like an excellent idea to me. Has anybody or any group ever tried to introduce a
>> similar scheme in the country? It sounds better to me than the oft-said "Chuck an extra tenner on
>> the price of a bike" idea. This would just give manufacturers or LBSs an excuse to increase the
>> bike price unnecessarily - by far more than £10.00, in my cyincal opinion.
>
> Don't most household policies have £1m 3rd party liability as standard.....I'm sure mine has it
> built in without extra cost.

Mine excludes motorvehicles although it isn't clear whether that would include an accident between a
bike and a car if I were riding a bike.

Regards,

Tim.

James Hodson says, about 3rd party insurance:

> his sounds like an excellent idea to me. Has anybody or any group ever tried to introduce a
> similar scheme in the country?

I've got it three times over, included free with various things; once from being a member of the
CTC, once through the London Cycling Campaign, once through Audax. I don't know whether my house
insurance covers it as well.

Jeremy Parker