3rd party liability

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by James Hodson, Apr 16, 2003.

  1. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    Hi all

    In a Toblerone-dominated thread, John Hearns said:
    >Don't know about Zurich specifically. But you will have to get a yearly bicycle permit, for each
    >bike. Go to the Migros supermarket - they cost about 10-15 francs. The permit carries third party
    >liability insurance.

    This sounds like an excellent idea to me. Has anybody or any group ever tried to introduce a similar
    scheme in the country? It sounds better to me than the oft-said "Chuck an extra tenner on the price
    of a bike" idea. This would just give manufacturers or LBSs an excuse to increase the bike price
    unnecessarily - by far more than £10.00, in my cyincal opinion.

    James

    --
    "Watch the kite, not where you're going!"

    Tags:

  2. "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > This sounds like an excellent idea to me. Has anybody or any group ever tried to introduce a
    > similar scheme in the country? It sounds better to me than the oft-said "Chuck an extra tenner on
    > the price of a bike" idea. This would just give manufacturers or LBSs an excuse to increase the
    > bike price unnecessarily - by far more than £10.00, in my cyincal opinion.

    Don't most household policies have £1m 3rd party liability as standard.....I'm sure mine has it
    built in without extra cost.

  3. Tim Woodall

    Tim Woodall Guest

    On Wed, 16 Apr 2003 16:39:02 +0100, Adrian Boliston <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "James Hodson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> This sounds like an excellent idea to me. Has anybody or any group ever tried to introduce a
    >> similar scheme in the country? It sounds better to me than the oft-said "Chuck an extra tenner on
    >> the price of a bike" idea. This would just give manufacturers or LBSs an excuse to increase the
    >> bike price unnecessarily - by far more than £10.00, in my cyincal opinion.
    >
    > Don't most household policies have £1m 3rd party liability as standard.....I'm sure mine has it
    > built in without extra cost.

    Mine excludes motorvehicles although it isn't clear whether that would include an accident between a
    bike and a car if I were riding a bike.

    Regards,

    Tim.

  4. James Hodson says, about 3rd party insurance:

    > his sounds like an excellent idea to me. Has anybody or any group ever tried to introduce a
    > similar scheme in the country?

    I've got it three times over, included free with various things; once from being a member of the
    CTC, once through the London Cycling Campaign, once through Audax. I don't know whether my house
    insurance covers it as well.

    Jeremy Parker