3Rensho. Information wanted

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Dave Thompson, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. I recently bought a complete 3Rensho bicycle and I'm anxious to find out more about it. The reason
    it is interesting to me is that it is equipped with an early '80s complete Shimano Dura Ace AX
    groupset. Even the wheelhubs are AX. The stem, seatpost and crankset are marked Dura Ace AX but are
    also pantographed "3Rensho". I believe that this is original to this bike equipment. I know a little
    about the 3Rensho and the man that made them, mainly from the Yellow Jersey website.

    Can someone recommend a site or sites that might provide even more information? How about dating the
    bike through its serial number? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

    --
    Thanks, Dave Thompson Spokane, WA

    Tags:

  2. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    Speaking of unique 3Rensho's, has any one seen a Vitus-looking version, aluminum lugged, aluminum
    tubed, glued frame/fork?

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]>

    "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I recently bought a complete 3Rensho bicycle and I'm anxious to find out more about it. The reason
    > it is interesting to me is that it is equipped with an early '80s complete Shimano Dura Ace AX
    > groupset. Even the
    wheelhubs
    > are AX. The stem, seatpost and crankset are marked Dura Ace AX but are
    also
    > pantographed "3Rensho". I believe that this is original to this bike equipment. I know a little
    > about the 3Rensho and the man that made them, mainly from the Yellow Jersey website.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a site or sites that might provide even more information? How about dating
    > the bike through its serial number? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks, Dave Thompson Spokane, WA

  3. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    Andy Muzi's site has lots of info on these bikes here:

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/konno.html

    and here:

    http://www.yellowjersey.org/specials.html (scroll down to photos of other 3rensho's for sale....
    "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I recently bought a complete 3Rensho bicycle and I'm anxious to find out more about it. The reason
    > it is interesting to me is that it is equipped with an early '80s complete Shimano Dura Ace AX
    > groupset. Even the
    wheelhubs
    > are AX. The stem, seatpost and crankset are marked Dura Ace AX but are
    also
    > pantographed "3Rensho". I believe that this is original to this bike equipment. I know a little
    > about the 3Rensho and the man that made them, mainly from the Yellow Jersey website.
    >
    > Can someone recommend a site or sites that might provide even more information? How about dating
    > the bike through its serial number? Any info will be greatly appreciated.
    >

    > --
    > Thanks, Dave Thompson Spokane, WA

  4. H. Guy

    H. Guy Guest

    > Speaking of unique 3Rensho's, has any one seen a Vitus-looking version, aluminum lugged, aluminum
    > tubed, glued frame/fork?

    > > I recently bought a complete 3Rensho bicycle and I'm anxious to find out more about it. The
    > > reason it is interesting to me is that it is equipped with an early '80s complete Shimano Dura
    > > Ace AX groupset. Even the
    > wheelhubs

    1) i'm jealous. those old 3renshos are absolutely beautifully made. the lugs are nicely shaped but
    not garishly ornate, and the ride is rock solid steel. sure, they've got a couple of pounds on a
    caad-whatever, but then so do i.

    2) i've seen some evidence out there in netland that seems to indicate that the 3rensho name may
    have been sold to someone who's slapping it on bikes they themselves didn't manufacture. i
    haven't seen the vitusy one, but i've seen reference to a "3rensho car" carbon fiber, which i'm
    pretty sure wasn't made during the konno days.

  5. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    > "Dave Thompson" <davetsp[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > I recently bought a complete 3Rensho bicycle and I'm anxious to find out more about it. The
    > > reason it is interesting to me is that it is equipped with an early '80s complete Shimano Dura
    > > Ace AX groupset. Even the
    > wheelhubs
    > > are AX. The stem, seatpost and crankset are marked Dura Ace AX but are
    > also
    > > pantographed "3Rensho". I believe that this is original to this bike equipment. I know a little
    > > about the 3Rensho and the man that made them, mainly from the Yellow Jersey website.
    > >
    > > Can someone recommend a site or sites that might provide even more information? How about dating
    > > the bike through its serial number? Any
    info
    > > will be greatly appreciated.

    "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Speaking of unique 3Rensho's, has any one seen a Vitus-looking version, aluminum lugged, aluminum
    > tubed, glued frame/fork?

    Those were rebadged SR-Sakae Litage/Prizms

  6. Robin Hubert

    Robin Hubert Guest

    "A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > "Dave Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > I recently bought a complete 3Rensho bicycle and I'm anxious to find
    out
    > > > more about it. The reason it is interesting to me is that it is
    equipped
    > > > with an early '80s complete Shimano Dura Ace AX groupset. Even the
    > > wheelhubs
    > > > are AX. The stem, seatpost and crankset are marked Dura Ace AX but are
    > > also
    > > > pantographed "3Rensho". I believe that this is original to this bike equipment. I know a
    > > > little about the 3Rensho and the man that made
    them,
    > > > mainly from the Yellow Jersey website.
    > > >
    > > > Can someone recommend a site or sites that might provide even more information? How about
    > > > dating the bike through its serial number? Any
    > info
    > > > will be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > "Robin Hubert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:%[email protected]...
    > > Speaking of unique 3Rensho's, has any one seen a Vitus-looking version, aluminum lugged,
    > > aluminum tubed, glued frame/fork?
    >

    > Those were rebadged SR-Sakae Litage/Prizms
    >
    > --

    Thanks Andy. I'll pass that info on to the owner.

    --
    Robin Hubert <[email protected]