3TTT stems (vintage) - 25.4 or 26.0 ?

- Bob -

Guest
Back in the 'ol days 70's, early 80's, TTT-Record stuff ... was TTT
stuff always one size? If so, which one ?

Most older TTT were 25.8

Stem->Handlebar fitting dimensions
Size Application
22.2 mm 7/8" Steel bars. Mainly BMX, older Mountain bike bars.
23.8 mm 15/16" Obsolete British size for steel handlebars, common on
older 3-speeds. This size was also used for steel drop bars.
25 mm Obsolete French size.
25.4 mm 1" Standard I.S.O. size, used on the vast majority of newer
bicycles.
This is sometimes incorrectly called "mountain bike" size.
25.8 mm Unofficial in-between size used by some Italian handlebar
makers for handlebars designed to be usable in either ISO (25.4) or Italian
(26.0) size stems.
26.0 mm Italian standard for drop bars, other bars made to fit
Italian stems and some high-end aftermarket drop bars.
This is sometimes incorrectly called "road" size.
26.4 mm Older Cinelli and Cinelli copies. Cinelli changed over to
26.0 in 1998.
27 mm Titan (obsolete).
31.8 mm 1 1/4" Road oversized.

From Sheldon's site http://www.sheldonbrown.com/gloss_st-z.html

On Mar 17, 9:55 am, - Bob - <[email protected]> wrote:
> Back in the 'ol days 70's, early 80's, TTT-Record stuff ... was TTT
> stuff always one size? If so, which one ?

26mm...25.8 didn't really come into the scene until TTT started making
threadless..

A "mod. RECORD" adjustable reach aluminium stem that is one of the
partly built cycles in the basement measures (depending on
orientation) from 1.027" to 1.030", which is 26.08 to 26.12; this
with the clamp nut fully loose.

Bob, 3TTT Record stems use that oh-so-unusual 25.8 mm size, plus the
so-easy-to-find 7 mm hex wrench. Those guys in Italy really knew how
to make something standards-compliant and easy to work upon.

The 25.8 stems tended to snap on Raleigh Pro's, which use 25.4 GB
map-of-england handlebars. Moreover, they would not fit 26.0 cinelli
handlebars. One wonders if they were good for anything at all.

- Don ("shims his 3TTT's") Gillies
San Diego, CA

Donald Gillies wrote:
> The 25.8 stems tended to snap on Raleigh Pro's, which use 25.4 GB
> map-of-england handlebars. Moreover, they would not fit 26.0 cinelli
> handlebars. One wonders if they were good for anything at all.
> - Don ("shims his 3TTT's") Gillies

Not only 3ttt. Before the mid-90s Cinelli were 26.4 not 26.0.
And ITM, inter alia, still makes 25.8 stems.

I gladly stole from the pithy Mr Brown the expression that 'our industry
has so very many 'standards' from which to choose'.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org