4,250 mile bike ride!

saturnsc2

Jul 14, 2004
i just read a newspaper article about a 61 year old guy named Paul Kramer who is a native from this area
(North Olmstead, Ohio), & now lives in Huntington Beach, California. he decided to pedal his $1000 touring bicycle to Ohio! this add i cut from an old paper here in the warehouse where i work as it "caught" my attention, but i don't know the date of this article though. anyway, here it is: YOU MIGHT RECALL THAT FOREST GUMP (ALIAS TOM HANKS), IN THE POPULAR ROBERT ZEMECKIS MOVIE) STARTED JOGGING AND DIDN'T STOP UNTIL HE BECAME A CULT HERO. POP CYCLE (ALIAS PAUL KRAMER) IS SORT OF A FOREST GUMP ON WHEELS. HE STARTED PEDALING APRIL 12 IN CALIFORNIA AN STOPPED TUESDAY AT HIS BROTHER'S HOME IN NORTH OLMSTEAD-A ROUNDABOUT 4,250 MILES AND 71 DAYS LATER. "THIS IS TH END OF THE TRAIL," SAID KRAMER, 61, WHILE REMOVING A REAR VIEW MIRROR ATTACHED TO HIS GLASSES. "I',M A LITTLE SWEATY". KRAMER, A NATIVE OF PARMA, NOW LIVING IN HUNTINGTON BEACH, CALIFORNIA CYCLED HERE FOR A NIECE'S WEDDING SATURDAY. HE STUFFED A STOVE, GAS BOTTLE, TENT, SPARE INNER TUBES, AND BICYCLE REPAIR TOOLS INTO FIVE BAGS AND HIT THE ROAD APRIL 12. AND HE GOT HERE BEFORE HIS LUGGAGE. HIS SUIT ARRIVED THURSDAY. KRAMER STRAPPED HIS BAGS AND A REFLECTIVE TRIANGLE TO HIS $1.000 GREEN TOURING CYCLE AND LEFT HOME TWO MONTHS BEFORE THE WEDDING, JUST IN CASE OF BREAKDOWNS. "IT'S NOT AS BAD AS IT LOOKS," HE SAID, REFERRING TO THE 60 POUNDS OF GEAR. IT TOOK THE AVID CAMPER AND CYCLIST SIX MONTHS TO DECIDE ON WHETHER TO MAKE THE TRIP. "I DECIDED TO GO FOR THE BIG ONE," KRAMER SAID. KRAMER DIDN'T WANT TO ARRIVE EARLY AND INTRUDE ON THE WEDDING PREPARATIONS. IN FACT, HE WAS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE AND DETOURED TO PITTSBURGH TO VISIT RELATIVES. "I TOOK THE LONG WAY AROUND," HE SAID. "THE WEATHER WAS SO NICE." KRAMER SAID HIS WIFE WAS CONCERNED ABOUT HIM TRAVELING ALONE. HE DIDN'T CARRY A CELL PHONE BECAUSE THERE WAS NO WAY TO KEEP IT CHARGED IN REMOTE AREAS. KRAMER HAD A WATCH BUT DIDN'T USE IT MUCH. WHEN THE SUN ROSE, HE SADDLED HIS GEAR AND HEADED EAST, AVERAGING 60 TO 65 MILES A DAY BEFORE PITCHING HIS TENT IN CAMPGROUNDS AND REST AREAS. "IT'S A LITTLE SCARY," HE SAID. "YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN." KRAMER RELIED ON E-MAIL TO STAY IN TOUCH. HE LOOKED FOR PUBLIC LIBRARIES AND SENT PERIODIC UPDATES THAT READ LIKE A TOURIST'S DIARY. THE MESSAGES WERE SIGNED WITH HIS SELF-COINED MONIKER "POP CYCLE." IN AN E-MAIL TO FAMILY ON APRIL 26, KRAMER DESCRIBED THE 6,300 FOOT-HIGH CONTENTIAL DIVIDE IN NEW MEXICO: "IT WAS JUST ANOTHER HILL." HE EASILY CONQUERED MOUNTAINS THAT CHALLENGED DIESEL-CHUGGING, SMOKE BILLOWING TRUCKS. "IT'S A LOT MORE MENTAL THAN PHYSICAL," KRAMER SAID. KRAMER HAD NO SECOND THOUGHTS ABOUT TRAVELING BY BICYCLE. HE SAID HE MET MANY INTERESTING PEOPLE ALONG THE WAY AND EVEN PEDALED WITH SOME. BUT HE DID WONDER IF HE WOULD EVER GET TO OHIO. IT TOOK HIM NEARLY 3 WEEKS TO CROSS TEXAS. KRAMER, WHO WILL PEDAL HOME IN A FEW WEEKS, SAID NOTHING COMPARES BY TRAVELING BY BICYCLE. "YOU ARE PART OF THE ENVIRONMENT," HE SAID. "YOU RE WITH THE BIRDS AND ANIMALS." NO DOUBT, FOREST GUMP WOULD AGREE. there is a lot i don't understand about this trip. for example, his bike had no lights on it that i can see in the photo. i wish i could post the pic of his bike here, but i don't have a scanner here at work. so how did he travel at night without lights? he must have traveled SOME time in the dark i would think. you can barely even see the bike, just some of the front wheel, & handlebars, because it's covered with so many bags. it's a wonder that the bike don't collapse with all that weight on it. another point is where did he ride? around here by law, you can't travel on the freeway, or major arteries, so where did he ride? i wonder how much maintenance the bike needed. how about weather? how did he cope with bad weather? this feat is amazing especially for a guy his age. anybody else here ever hear of a trip like this? please post it here......

damn thats pretty awesome. i wonder if he hunted his food or if he took a lot of money and bought it.

as for traveling on the freeways. here in colorado i've seen many a cyclist riding up and down i-70 in the high country, and on just about every other road in the state. i've had many cops pass by me when i'm on the road riding, and they have never pulled me over or said anything to me. i think it all depends on each states laws for cycling

ya, that's awesome to say the least! in ohio, it's illegal to ride a bicycle on the freeway, & frankly you would have to be stupid to ride there here. i wouldn't want cars flying by me at 70 mph just a few feet away. it's dangerous enough riding down the boulevard & these crazy bastards in their steel coffins flying by me at around 35-45 mph & cutting me off & beiong rude to me there, but the freeway, forget it!

During the Winter time I love to ride up and down the Beach trail from Newport Beach, through Huntington Beach to Seal Beach and back, it's a very easy ride but so nice when there's no People around...

Anyway, it was about a week before Christmas and I stopped for a break and look out over the Beach, there was a Guy called Chris, who kinda looked about mid 30's , he had an old Fuji which he said had done over 40,000 miles on it, this bike was loaded with Panniers, he said it weighed about 70Lbs...he was changing his Tube...

He is a Crab Fisherman, he said he works through the season and earns $80-90,000...then he spends the rest of the year riding around the US, he'd ridden all the way from Maine to San Francisco then down to Southern CA where I met him...he was a fascinating Guy, very intelligent...and very funny....

He said his next stop was Florida!!! I said "wow, that's a hell of a long ride" He grinned and said "No, I'm taking the Train"....

What a Guy, not only does he do the most dangerous Job in the world...he rides thousands of miles in between time...

Before I rode off I asked him to come and spend Christmas with me and my Family but he said he was spending it with Friends in Hollywood...I often wondered what happened to him...

Jaguar27 said:
During the Winter time I love to ride up and down the Beach trail from Newport Beach, through Huntington Beach to Seal Beach and back, it's a very easy ride but so nice when there's no People around...

Anyway, it was about a week before Christmas and I stopped for a break and look out over the Beach, there was a Guy called Chris, who kinda looked about mid 30's , he had an old Fuji which he said had done over 40,000 miles on it, this bike was loaded with Panniers, he said it weighed about 70Lbs...he was changing his Tube...

He is a Crab Fisherman, he said he works through the season and earns $80-90,000...then he spends the rest of the year riding around the US, he'd ridden all the way from Maine to San Francisco then down to Southern CA where I met him...he was a fascinating Guy, very intelligent...and very funny....

He said his next stop was Florida!!! I said "wow, that's a hell of a long ride" He grinned and said "No, I'm taking the Train"....

What a Guy, not only does he do the most dangerous Job in the world...he rides thousands of miles in between time...

Before I rode off I asked him to come and spend Christmas with me and my Family but he said he was spending it with Friends in Hollywood...I often wondered what happened to him...
it would ge great to be able to go on a trip like that, but it's out of reach for the working guy. when you got a 40 hour per week job, it's impossible to go anywhere. iv'e done those 60 mile rides on the weekend days, but that's the most i can go having to work on monday......