4 Bike Rack for Trailer Hitch

mgannam

Oct 25, 2003
I'd like information about what you have experienced or your imput on a 4 bike carrier for a trailer hitch with a swing out feature. I am interested in knowing which carrier is easiest to use, which is sturdiest and how bikes are kept from hitting each other.

Originally posted by mgannam
I'd like information about what you have experienced or your imput on a 4 bike carrier for a trailer hitch with a swing out feature. I am interested in knowing which carrier is easiest to use, which is sturdiest and how bikes are kept from hitting each other.

Check out RockN'Gate on Yakima's siite at URL:
http://www.yakima.com/home.html
The stabilizing arms helps hold the bicycles apart.

Thule Trailblazer carries four bikes while providing full rear vehicle access- includes two locks
Greater bike stability and anti-sway with the all-new included Zip Stick.
http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/product.asp?dept_id=8&sku=998

The Trailblazer is a great rack, locks to the hitch and has a retractable cable lock for the bikes, as well as swings out from the car with the bikes still on the rack. 2 and 1 -1/4 versions available.

We extensively use hitch mounted cycle racks in South Africa. We regularly carry our tandem on a small Toyota Conquest with our hitch mounted carrier. We use bungee rubber corded straps with hooks on. We secure the bikes and the carrier to the car with these cord. This creates a very stable platform. We use "pool noodle" , a dense close cell foam that is extruded in +- 100 mm dia and 1,5m long sections as buffers between the bikes to stop them from scratching. You can also cut small dense foam blocks and attach them with velcro straps to critical places. Removing the pedals also help. We cover the handlebars and derrailleurs with plastic and wrap it with plastic packaging tape when we go on long journeys ( to do the Cape ARGUS see www.cycletour.co.za a race that attracts 35 000 competitors) I also use friction adjusted nylon straps (they can be tightened and released) to stabilise the bikes.

Hope this helpd.

Keep those wheels spinning

Big H

Hi big_h-
Thank you for your imput on my post. Let me explain. We are (so far) purely amateur riders and would like to take short trips on weekends between 30 and 70 miles from home. My wife and I are in our late 60's and are getting back into riding after a period of 14 years. So, concequently, we look for scenic trips around beach areas and other bike trails. We travel freeways to get to these areas. Although you're advice is well taken, I'm not sure we need to bundle the bikes so elaborately. The Thule Trailblazer suggested by both daveornee and ceeberjeebers, so far, sounds pretty much what we might be looking for. I have looked at the smaller pictures on the web of this unit, but should go to a supplier near us to take a look at how bikes are actually secured. Again, thanks for the response.
Marv Gannam

I have an additional concern. I have a Honda CRV which has the tire on the back that is off center slightly. I have heard that I might have trouble clearing the tire with most bike racks :( . If anyone has a CRV I would love to hear what you use for hitch mounted carriers. I am looking for a three or four bike model if possible.
Thanks,
Janet

Originally posted by darlinja
I have an additional concern. I have a Honda CRV which has the tire on the back that is off center slightly. I have heard that I might have trouble clearing the tire with most bike racks :( . If anyone has a CRV I would love to hear what you use for hitch mounted carriers. I am looking for a three or four bike model if possible.
Thanks,
Janet

You will likely get more response if you start a specific topic on this but, Yakima will give you some information by following the 7 step process on their website at URL:
http://www.yakima.com/home.html
Get to their internal link : Rack Configurator
If after that you are still not sure, call their 800 number.

Thule has a similar configurator at URL:
http://www.thuleracks.com/thule/fg_vehicle.asp
They also have an 800 number.

Hi Janet-
I don't know much about these hitch mounted carriers, but this might be an alternative if you can't find a carrier that fits your situation. It seems to me that if you extend the tongue of the carrier the depth of the spare tire and add a small diagonal brace (where the upright is welded to the tongue), it would work. You may not even need the brace. I'm sure it can be done, but you might just contact Yakima or Thule to see if this is a way to go. Good luck!
-Marv

Originally posted by mgannam

I recently bought the Bell 4 bike rack ... I was on a tight budget and eager to ride interesting places with kids without wearing them out getting there. It's in the trailer hitch of my mini-van. Very easy to put on and off the vehicle (one huge bolt through the trailer hitch). It swings down out of the way, by just pulling a clip, but it says not to do that with bikes on it. It is very easy to use ... has velcro straps and buckles to hold the bikes on the rack. Then I bungee them to the post of the rack for extra stability. I bungee the front wheel to the bike so it doesn't swing around wildly. I think there is some contact between the bikes, but it is usually pedal to pedal which doesn't bother me much (or handlebar ends on something).

As far as the CRV question ... the post of the rack is about 9 inches from the back of my van ... I don't think that would clear a spare tire out there.

Happy Trails!!

:confused: Anyone know of a website that offers the best deals on bike racks? Specifically the Thule Trailblazer. I've surfed all over and the prices are really varying. What would be considered a good deal on this thing anyway? I've seen them for $290 plus $25 shipping and that's about as good as it gets. HELP!!!

mgannam said:
When I bought my 2000 Chrysler mini van I also got their hitch mounted 4 bike carrier. It is the simplest I have seen. I can put two recumbents (with wide seats) or four DF's easy. There are two clamps on either side (front and back) for the four bikes. I secure the bikes to the single upright post with bungee cords to prevent banging and scratching. I wish I had a web site for you. Try Chrysler.com and see if there is any info. Their newer racks are not the same but use the same principle as mine. Good luck
AJ