4 cyclists killed/8 injured (UK)

g00dd0ggy

Jun 16, 2004
Be careful out there...not alot of detail in this report, has anyone seen a more detailed one? This is from the Independent.

Four cyclists killed in road accident
PA
Published: 08 January 2006
Four cyclists died and eight others were injured today when their group was hit by a car.

The group, which included adults and children, were on the A547 Ludland Road near Abergele in North Wales at about 10am when the accident happened.

They were hit by a Toyota Corolla travelling towards Towyn.

Emergency services, including an air ambulance, were called out and four cyclists were pronounced dead at the scene.

North Wales Police said eight other casualties were taken to Glan Clwyd Hospital in Bodelwyddan, some with serious injuries.

The dead were confirmed as three men and a boy, North Wales Police said.

Four of the other cyclists were seriously hurt, but their injuries were not life threatening.

Three suffered minor injuries, and there was "no information" on the condition of the eighth, a police spokeswoman added.

Initial reports state that the cyclists killed and injured were members of Rhyl Cycling Club in North Wales.

What a terrible terrible day.

There was a large turnout for the Rhyl Cycling Club's Sunday ride yesterday, as cyclists from all over the area came together to pay their respects ahead of the funerals this week (Thomas's is today).

It seems like this was just an unfortunate accident, though there has been some debate regarding the gritting of the road, given that the police requested this to be done after a minor accident on the same spot approximately 1 hour earlier.

Scott Eccles (the club sec) has pointed out that as this has happened just after Christmas it may well put new cyclists (young cyclists who just had new bikes) from getting out on the road, and has suggested that perhaps the council might reconsider the development of the Rhyl to Ruthin cycle path in order to encourage more cycling - a plan they dismissed 4 years ago.

Obviously such a path wouldn't have prevented the accident (as the club rides on the road) but it would be a fitting tribute to those who died.

Anyway, our thoughts are with them, and their families.

Steve

wheelist said:
It seems like this was just an unfortunate accident
I was over in the UK when this happened, and read the coverage in the papers. It seems the authorities were keen to push the line that it was just an 'accident', and 'excess speed was not the cause'.

However we know that usually people survive if hit at less than 50km/h. Since 4 people did not... it appears to me that the speed of the car at impact exceeded 50km/h by a considerable margin. I think I read the offical impact speed estimate was 80km/h, and so the speed prior to impact would have been slightly higher even.

I read that the car was being driven in sub zero temperatures when ice was forecast, and lost control on a left hand curve after encountering 'black' (near invisible) ice. It span across the road into oncoming traffic, entirely out of control.

I would assert that the car was not being driven at a speed consistent with the forecast and actual conditions at the time, or the skill of the driver. I can't accept that this was an accident unrelated to speed, which occurred as a consequence of misfortune. It was an avoidable accident.

Had the car been moving at 50km/h or less the cyclists would almost certainly have survived.

I would like to see the authorities treat excess speed in poor conditions as seriously as exceeding the posted limit. I would also like drivers to prove competence on slippery surfaces prior to gaining a license to use a killing machine.

You cannot rely on grit, that issue is being used as an attempt at blame shifting. Gritting cannot be done everywhere the instant it gets cold.

Drivers must be held responsible for what they do. :mad:

rohloff_chips said:
I was over in the UK when this happened, and read the coverage in the papers. It seems the authorities were keen to push the line that it was just an 'accident', and 'excess speed was not the cause'.

However we know that usually people survive if hit at less than 50km/h. Since 4 people did not... it appears to me that the speed of the car at impact exceeded 50km/h by a considerable margin. I think I read the offical impact speed estimate was 80km/h, and so the speed prior to impact would have been slightly higher even.

I read that the car was being driven in sub zero temperatures when ice was forecast, and lost control on a left hand curve after encountering 'black' (near invisible) ice. It span across the road into oncoming traffic, entirely out of control.

I would assert that the car was not being driven at a speed consistent with the forecast and actual conditions at the time, or the skill of the driver. I can't accept that this was an accident unrelated to speed, which occurred as a consequence of misfortune. It was an avoidable accident.

Had the car been moving at 50km/h or less the cyclists would almost certainly have survived.

I would like to see the authorities treat excess speed in poor conditions as seriously as exceeding the posted limit. I would also like drivers to prove competence on slippery surfaces prior to gaining a license to use a killing machine.

You cannot rely on grit, that issue is being used as an attempt at blame shifting. Gritting cannot be done everywhere the instant it gets cold.

Drivers must be held responsible for what they do. :mad:
You're spot on Rohloff_chips. Whilst the car may have been within the speed limit, it was probably too fast given the conditions.

What concerns me is the fact that there was an accident on the same spot approximately an hour earlier. I'm unable to ascertain whether or not the police had marked the road to indicate to other drivers that there was danger from ice.

Whatever, this was most certainly an avoidable accident.

As far as I'm aware the guy driving has suffered a major breakdown since the incident occurred. However, I still don't hold him entirely to blame. :(