4-limb-2-wheel-drive bike

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Gildas Failler, Jan 27, 2004.

  1. INVESTOR NEEDED.

    Short history of the bike: you push the ground (1817), propel the front-wheel (1861), the rear-wheel
    (1868), with the legs. Now add the power of the arms to propel the front-wheel and you get the 4th
    type bike. It looks like, can be used like, a regular bike, but when desired, you can use your arms
    (or whole body, in fact) for propulsion of the front-wheel in addition to the use of the legs. Then
    you recover your quadruped abilities and get 50% more power, a 2-wheel-drive, a bodybuilding and
    health vehicle, better track-hold, manoeuvrability, equilibrium, amazement from friends, and MUCH
    MORE FUN! Also transmutes the energy of the shocks on the suspension into an energy of propulsion.
    Will make worldwide news! System usable on any type of cycle. Will be one day as standard as the
    derailleur today. No patent problem. For demonstration film and details, send $10 to: Gildas
    Failler, 5 Gentilshommes, 29000 Quimper, France. Fon/Fax: 33 02 98 95 34 48. E-mail:
    [email protected]

    Tags:

  2. Gildas Failler spammed:

    > Then you recover your quadruped abilities

    In certain parts of Swindon the natives never actually lost them ;-)

  3. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 18:36:52 +0100, "Gildas Failler"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Then you recover your quadruped abilities and get 50% more power

    Throughout the history of the bicycle there has been a steady stream of inventors with some gimmick
    to get more power.

    >Also transmutes the energy of the shocks on the suspension into an energy of propulsion.

    Good old perpetual motion.

    >Will make worldwide news! System usable on any type of cycle. Will be one day as standard as the
    >derailleur today. No patent problem.

    Excellent. I like an optimist. Where's the catch?

    >For demonstration film and details, send $10 to: Gildas

    Ah, there it is. :)

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. Mark Twain

  4. Zog The Undeniable wrote:

    > Gildas Failler spammed:
    >
    >> Then you recover your quadruped abilities
    >
    > In certain parts of Swindon the natives never actually lost them ;-)

    Big gold star to That Man Zog!

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  5. In article <[email protected]>, Gildas Failler wrote:
    >and get 50% more power

    If you compare the power used on normal bikes or rowing, and what the heart and lungs can
    sustain, the extra power available from using other limbs is actually very limited, from what I
    remember reading.

    This has been tried before - it's never been very successful, and you give no reasons to think your
    version will be any different.

  6. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On 28 Jan 2004 16:37:42 +0000 (GMT), [email protected] (Alan
    Braggins) wrote:

    >If you compare the power used on normal bikes or rowing, and what the heart and lungs can
    >sustain, the extra power available from using other limbs is actually very limited, from what I
    >remember reading.

    Almost certainly not enough to offset the additional mass of the associated mechanisms required to
    collect the power from said limbs.

    Guy
    ===
    http://chapmancentral.demon.co.uk

  7. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as "Just zis
    Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >On 28 Jan 2004 16:37:42 +0000 (GMT), [email protected] (Alan Braggins) wrote:
    >
    >>If you compare the power used on normal bikes or rowing, and what the heart and lungs can sustain,
    >>the extra power available from using other limbs is actually very limited, from what I remember
    >>reading.
    >
    >Almost certainly not enough to offset the additional mass of the associated mechanisms required to
    >collect the power from said limbs.

    Interesting question though - has there ever been a two wheel drive bike (or three wheel drive
    trike, come to that)?

    I suppose in theory you could run a drivetrain up the inside of the tubing to the headstock with
    some kind of bevel gear to a drive down to the forks and thus the front wheel of an ordinary bike,
    though I suspect the mechanical losses would be horrendous, but has it ever actually been done?

    --
    - Pyromancer Stormshadow http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!
    http://www.littlematchgirl.co.uk <-- Electronic Metal! http://www.revival.stormshadow.com <--

  8. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004 22:36:30 +0000, Pyromancer
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Interesting question though - has there ever been a two wheel drive bike (or three wheel drive
    >trike, come to that)?

    The Flevobike Rug-aan-Rug is two wheel drive, if memory serves. Also requires four limbs, but
    attached to the bottom end of two separate bodies.

    Guy
    ===

  9. Pyromancer wrote:

    > Interesting question though - has there ever been a two wheel drive bike (or three wheel drive
    > trike, come to that)?
    >
    > I suppose in theory you could run a drivetrain up the inside of the tubing to the headstock with
    > some kind of bevel gear to a drive down to the forks and thus the front wheel of an ordinary bike,
    > though I suspect the mechanical losses would be horrendous, but has it ever actually been done?

    Yes. http://www.christini.com/index.php

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  10. Pyromancer

    Pyromancer Guest

    Upon the miasma of midnight, a darkling spirit identified as Dave
    Larrington <[email protected]> gently breathed:
    >Pyromancer wrote:

    >> Interesting question though - has there ever been a two wheel drive bike (or three wheel drive
    >> trike, come to that)?

    >Yes. http://www.christini.com/index.php

    Impressive!

    So, has anyone here ridden one of these? What are they like?

    NP: Various Artists - Bang! (United Dance)
    --
    - Pyromancer Stormshadow http://www.inkubus-sukkubus.co.uk <-- Pagan Gothic Rock!
    http://www.littlematchgirl.co.uk <-- Electronic Metal! http://www.revival.stormshadow.com <-- The
    Gothic Revival.

  11. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Pyromancer <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Interesting question though - has there ever been a two wheel drive bike (or three wheel drive
    > trike, come to that)?

    I'm fairly certain I've seen a four wheel drive recumbent quadrithingy somewhere. I've a feeling it
    used canondale mechanicals for suspension. It's possible I'm mis-remembering, however.

    Anyway, there's a russian tadpole trike with front wheel drive & steer, so it'd be pretty rivial (I
    think) to get some 0power from that to the back wheel. I'm not sure it'd be useful.

    regards, Ian Smith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  12. Ian Smith wrote:

    > I'm fairly certain I've seen a four wheel drive recumbent quadrithingy somewhere. I've a feeling
    > it used canondale mechanicals for suspension. It's possible I'm mis-remembering, however.

    You may be thinking of the Crank-It Mountain Quad:

    http://www.crank-it.com/

    Full-sus, Rohloff transmission, solid rear axle, but "only" 2wd.

    In 1990 the Kingsburys built a fully-faired four-wheeler, named the Fortuna. This because it had
    four wheels, all of which steered. They resisted the temptation to give it four wheel drive, though.
    It cornered like no other HPV I've ever seen, but disgraced itself at the European championships
    when it suffered two punctures and a structural failure simultaneously. Subsequently the top part of
    the fairing parted company with the rest of the machine while being rooftopped back across The
    Netherlands at Grandpa Kingsbury's habitual cruising speed of about 95 mph, and is probably still in
    use as a hi-tech cold frame somewhere outside s'Hertogenbosch. The rest of the machine is likely
    still in The Void - the big hole under the factory which has twenty years of HPV history gathering
    dust in a big and untidy heap :-(

    http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

  13. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004,
    Dave Larrington <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Ian Smith wrote:
    >
    > > I'm fairly certain I've seen a four wheel drive recumbent quadrithingy somewhere. I've a feeling
    > > it used canondale mechanicals for suspension. It's possible I'm mis-remembering, however.
    >
    > You may be thinking of the Crank-It Mountain Quad:
    >
    > http://www.crank-it.com/ Full-sus, Rohloff transmission, solid rear axle, but "only" 2wd.

    No, the thing I'm thinking of was not even proposed for production, let alone advertised for sale.
    It was a 'concept' job. I've not found it again though, and I don't think it was on the intergubbins
    - I think I saw it in print on paper - maybe it was all a dream.

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig
    |o o|

  14. Ian Smith

    Ian Smith Guest

    On Fri, 30 Jan 2004, Ian Smith <[email protected]> wrote:

    > No, the thing I'm thinking of was not even proposed for production, let alone advertised for
    > sale. It was a 'concept' job. I've not found it again though, and I don't think it was on the
    > intergubbins - I think I saw it in print on paper - maybe it was all a dream.

    But while looking for that, how about the third picture down this:
    http://www.spril.com/images/KineticSculpture2002/

    And I did find a no-wheel-drive four-wheel off-road vehicle:
    http://www.paralinks.net/offroadwheelchair2.html

    regards, Ian SMith
    --
    |\ /| no .sig