4 minute intervals

leanman

Sep 20, 2009
been doing these 4 minute intervals for years now and like them and really feel my fitness kick in after a few weeks of these . i usually start with 2, then add one more each week for 3 weeks, then back off on my rest week. ( i usually do 3 weeks on then a rec. week)so i get up to 5 and stay there. i do these a bit different than they say, as i think they say do these 80% of time trial pace. i just hammer them very hard and after 4 minutes, i'm hurting..
i do these on my trainer.. no hills, cars or wind. a steady 100-105 rpm's. rest between each interval is also 4 minutes..

i was was wondering if doing these a new way, say a set of two a bit harder, maybe 100-110 rpm's . do one then rest 4 minutes, then my second one.. then rest say 10 minutes and do another set of two again, rest 10 minutes and a final set of 2.. this way i have 6 vs 5 the way i am doing them now.

i wasnt sure of the benifits of doing a set of 5 my current way, or six with a bit more rest between sets of two, even though i'd be going a bit harder..

any opinions are appreciated

thanks

Most do their L5 intervals (3-5 min) at a much harder pace than their time trial pace. Anyway, they are good intervals to do to work on VO2 max, I try to do them once a week, mixed in with the rest of my training. I personally find more benefit from the longer LT intervals (20 min).

You're doing them the "right" way currently. The '4 x 4' Vo2 max workout has been around for awhile (I think it was some Danish researchers that started it) - nothing new under the sun. As you relate your intensity target, sounds like you're probably getting up to Vo2max level by your 2nd effort.

FWIW, I now do my Vo2 max efforts differently in that instead of a set rest period of so much time, I'll start my next effort when my heart rate comes down to a certain point, say 130bpm, then I'll start another repetition. I believe this better simulates race situations...ymmv.

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .
I'll start my next effort when my heart rate comes down to a certain point, say 130bpm, then I'll start another repetition. I believe this better simulates race situations...ymmv.

do you tell guys in a race when your HR dropped low enough and they can start another attack? :)

Originally Posted by dot .

do you tell guys in a race when your HR dropped low enough and they can start another attack? :)
As a matter-of-fact, I do. "Hey! Just a few more seconds and I'll be down to 130bpm, and then you go - not a moment sooner." Furthermore, if they're not ready at 130bpm, I attack when my alarm goes off. Great question. Please come again.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Originally Posted by tonyzackery .

As a matter-of-fact, I do. "Hey! Just a few more seconds and I'll be down to 130bpm, and then you go - not a moment sooner." Furthermore, if they're not ready at 130bpm, I attack when my alarm goes off. Great question. Please come again.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif
Sorry, I missed that idea!

I remember reading some abstracts where 4 min intervals improve TT times without changes in VO2max. I should have made a bookmark everytime I read something like this.

^^^ No worries, friend! These concepts - 4 x 4 interval protocol and advanced racing tactics - while easily understood by most, can be quite difficult for a few to grasp the first time. I veddy glad I was able to learn you something today.../img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif