4 Months to a 4 Hour Marathon

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Barf Bag, Sep 20, 2004.

  1. Barf Bag

    Barf Bag Guest

    >Has anybody here used Dave Kuehls book / training method "4 Months to
    >a 4 Hour Marathon" with success?

    Yes, great book, it's under that short leg on my coffee table.

    Tags:

  2. Ricky Summersett <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Has anybody here used Dave Kuehls book / training method "4 Months to
    > a 4 Hour Marathon" with success?

    I have, with success, with "success" as per my definition. :)
    Wanted to finish, and in under 4:00. Finished in just under 4:12.

    I didn't follow it strictly. Rather, I just borrowed the ideas and
    molded the plan to fit my schedule and other such things in life.

    It's been a while, but what I recall, a typical week for me was:
    Monday - 2-3 miles
    Wednesday - 5-6 miles
    Saturday - long run (started at 5 miles, kept increasing by 2 each week.)

    Rest of the days - rest for the day.

    I trained for about 3.5 months. Weekly average was just under 15 miles.
    Highest mileage week was 28 miles (included a 20 mile long run).

    Hope this gives you an idea.

    I reached the halfway mark in 1:57. So, the 2nd half took me almost 2:15.
    I think I had some good cramps starting around mile 20-22 (don't remember
    exactly when). So, as you can see, it wasn't perfect training.

    > I have owned it for a while and have decided to try it and see if I
    > can do my first sub-4 in Austin, TX. on february 13th. My fastest
    > marathon is just under 4:15.

    Since you already have done one, it should be much easier for you this
    time around. Pay attention to the long runs.

    > My running now consists of 3-5 miles / day at about 9:00 pace, long
    > run on sat (now up to 8 miles at 10:00 / mile) and a rest day on
    > sunday.

    This sounds good for your target. My suggestion would be to try
    to go to 22 miles or so in your longest run. This is just from
    my experience - I felt my 20 mile longest training run was inadequate.

    > Dave says that if you can hold a 10 minute pace for 40 minutes then
    > you are ready to start his training and that if you follow his method
    > you will cross the finish line in under 4 hours.

    You might also want to look at other training programs available
    on the web - Runner's world, running times, Hal Higdon, etc...
    Just use some flexibility and creativity.

    Which marathon are you aiming for?

    Hope this helps.

    Good luck,
    jobs

    > Let me know if you have used this book with success.

    > Ricky

    > "One is too many, a thousand are never enough."

  3. Has anybody here used Dave Kuehls book / training method "4 Months to
    a 4 Hour Marathon" with success?
    I have owned it for a while and have decided to try it and see if I
    can do my first sub-4 in Austin, TX. on february 13th. My fastest
    marathon is just under 4:15.
    My running now consists of 3-5 miles / day at about 9:00 pace, long
    run on sat (now up to 8 miles at 10:00 / mile) and a rest day on
    sunday.
    Dave says that if you can hold a 10 minute pace for 40 minutes then
    you are ready to start his training and that if you follow his method
    you will cross the finish line in under 4 hours.
    Let me know if you have used this book with success.

    Ricky

    "One is too many, a thousand are never enough."

  4. eNo

    eNo Guest

    "Ricky Summersett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > Has anybody here used Dave Kuehls book / training method "4 Months to
    > a 4 Hour Marathon" with success?
    > I have owned it for a while and have decided to try it and see if I
    > can do my first sub-4 in Austin, TX. on february 13th. My fastest
    > marathon is just under 4:15.

    That's the program I used for my 1st 'thon, and it's probably on the light
    side in terms of training load. Good enough for a beginner, but not
    necessarily so if you want to outperform. What I saw in my case is that the
    majority (well over 50%) of the weekly miles on most weeks were LSD, making
    for a slow time for me. Take what I say with a grain of salt, as I am not
    the most talented runner out there.

    --
    ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º
    eNo

  5. On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:16:42 -0700, "eNo" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Ricky Summersett" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:p[email protected]
    >> Has anybody here used Dave Kuehls book / training method "4 Months to
    >> a 4 Hour Marathon" with success?
    >> I have owned it for a while and have decided to try it and see if I
    >> can do my first sub-4 in Austin, TX. on february 13th. My fastest
    >> marathon is just under 4:15.

    >That's the program I used for my 1st 'thon, and it's probably on the light
    >side in terms of training load. Good enough for a beginner, but not
    >necessarily so if you want to outperform. What I saw in my case is that the
    >majority (well over 50%) of the weekly miles on most weeks were LSD,

    Please tell this beginner what LSD is (not the drug).

    >making
    >for a slow time for me.

    Were you able to bust 4 hours?

    Thanks for your help!