4 more positives at worlds

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Chris Version 2, Oct 14, 2003.

  1. anyone hear anything about who they might be?

    Tags:

  2. "Tom Schulenburg" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "cris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > > news:[email protected]...

    > > > Which is only possible if he has been tested. If not, there won't be a
    > new
    > > > world champion this year. In that case Cipo would have a second chance
    > > > honour his rainbow jersey ...
    > > >
    > > > Benjo Maso
    > >
    > > todociclismo.com is saying the riders under suspicion are Beltran, Valverde, Astarloa, &
    > > Aitor Osa.
    >
    > If Beltran is positive, does he get booted from Postal?

    Fellow Dumbasses -

    I haven't been able to find a reference to this story on english language sites. I'd appreciate it
    if someone could post a link or two. Thanks in advance and yes, I know, I'm a dumbass for not being
    able to find one.

  3. Jan

    Jan Guest

    > I haven't been able to find a reference to this story on english language sites. I'd appreciate it
    > if someone could post a link or two. Thanks in advance and yes, I know, I'm a dumbass for not
    > being able to find one.

    http://www.procycling.com/news_main.asp?newsId=4732

    UCI head doctor Mario Zorzoli this afternoon rejected speculation that another doping scandal is
    poised to hit professional cycling.

    His statement to procycling.com came in response to allegations in the European press that four
    riders had returned irregular blood tests two days before the Elite world road race in Hamilton
    on Sunday.

    Reports in the last two days have suggested that four riders – two Spaniards, an Italian and a
    Belgian – had been called back for anti-EPO urine tests twenty-four hours after submitting blood
    samples which presented grounds for suspicion in Hamilton on Friday night.

    Of the national federations, only gold and silver medal-winning Spain has made it known that two of
    its riders were summoned for urine testing on Saturday night, according to Zorzoli.

    The Italian and Belgian links, on the other hand, have unknown origins. All media reports state that
    Paolo Bettini is not the Italian rider involved.

    Speaking to procycling from the UCI headquarters in Lausanne, Zorzoli told us: "At this stage none
    of the rumours are true. The samples only went for analysis today and it will be three days before
    the results of any anti-EPO tests are known. If the ‘A’ urine sample was positive a ‘B’ sample would
    require another three days to analyse"

    "How did the mention of a Belgian and an Italian come about? I have no idea," Zorzoli continued.
    "The UCI never publicises this sort of information: I don’t know where certain papers and websites
    have obtained their information. Any urine tests that are taking place could be positive just as
    much as they could be negative."

    HTH Jan

    ---

  4. Cris

    Cris Guest

  5. "cris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > >
    > > > Yes, they're already speculating that Boogerd might be World Champion after all.
    > >
    > > Which is only possible if he has been tested. If not, there won't be a
    new
    > > world champion this year. In that case Cipo would have a second chance
    > > honour his rainbow jersey ...
    > >
    > > Benjo Maso
    >
    > todociclismo.com is saying the riders under suspicion are Beltran, Valverde, Astarloa, &
    > Aitor Osa.

    If Beltran is positive, does he get booted from Postal?

    -T

  6. On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 23:20:33 +0100, Jan wrote:
    > "I don’t know where certain papers and websites have obtained their information."

    [email protected]

  7. lazysegall

    lazysegall New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 12, 2003
    Why would beltran bother to show for worlds if he was on epo?

  8. Fred Marx

    Fred Marx Guest

    Chris version 2 wrote:
    > anyone hear anything about who they might be?
    all cyclingnews could say was 2 Spaniards, an Italian (not likely Bettini) and a Belgian.

  9. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

  10. On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:53:10 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    > The top four places were 2 Spaniards, an Italian, and a Belgian.

    Yes, they're already speculating that Boogerd might be World Champion after all.

  11. Benjo Maso

    Benjo Maso Guest

    > On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 07:53:10 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    > > The top four places were 2 Spaniards, an Italian, and a Belgian.
    >
    > Yes, they're already speculating that Boogerd might be World Champion after all.

    Which is only possible if he has been tested. If not, there won't be a new world champion this year.
    In that case Cipo would have a second chance to honour his rainbow jersey ...

    Benjo Maso

  12. Kyle Legate

    Kyle Legate Guest

    lazysegall wrote:
    > Cris wrote:
    > > Benjo Maso > todociclismo.com is saying the riders under suspicion
    > are Beltran, > Valverde, Astarloa, & Aitor Osa.
    >
    > Why would beltran bother to show for worlds if he was on epo?

    Why only Beltran?

  13. On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:36:02 GMT, Kurgan Gringioni wrote:
    > I'd appreciate it if someone could post a link or two.

    From Dutch teletext:

    Wereldkampioen Igor Astarloa is één van de renners van wie na de voorbije WK een afgenomen
    bloedmonster door de UCI nader wordt onderzocht,zo meldt de Italiaanse krant Gazzetta dello Sport.

    Eerder deze week werd al bekend dat de op de WK uitgevoerde dopingcontroles in alle gevallen een
    negatief resultaat op hadden geleverd,maar dat er bij vier bloedmonsters "abnormale parameters"
    waren gevonden.Naast Astarloa zou het gaan om de Italiaan Danilo di Luca en de Spanjaarden Manuel
    Beltrán en Aitor Osa.

    World champion I.A. is one of the riders whos blood sample will be further investigated by the UCI,
    says Italian paper Gazzetta dello Sport (ed: I couldn't find it on gazzetta.it just now). Earlier
    this week it became known that all dopingtests from the WC came back negative, but that 4 blood
    samples showed "abnormal parameters". Besides Astarloa, it reportedly concerns Italian D.d.L. and
    Spaniards M.B. and A.O.

  14. lazysegall <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Cris wrote:
    > > "benjo maso" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > > "Ewoud Dronkert" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:b57qovo1tlv5f-
    > > > [email protected]:b57qovo1tlv5f370kf59h9g7to7c-
    > > > [email protected]

    > > > Which is only possible if he has been tested. If not, there won't be a new world champion
    > > > this year. In that case Cipo would have a second chance to honour his rainbow jersey ...
    > > >
    > > > Benjo Maso
    > > todociclismo.com is saying the riders under suspicion are Beltran, Valverde, Astarloa, & Aitor
    > > Osa.
    >

    > Why would beltran bother to show for worlds if he was on epo?

    What I read in todociclismo is:

    - Many cylists were subject to a hematocrit control before the race.
    - 3 spanish cyclist (together with several others from other teams) were subject to a second control
    before the race (Astarloa, Beltran, Osa).

    At the time all tested cyclists were declared fit.

    - 2 spanish cyclists made the podium, and we subject to a test (Astarloa and Valverde)

    Now, those 4 are the {spanish) ones for which the UCI HAS samples. So it means that those samples
    have the potential to be further analized and the potential to be positive (or non negative). Now,
    how anybody came with the news that 2 are positive before there is even a more exhastive test on the
    samples in Switzerland (if there is even such test)???