4 MW microwave!

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Adam Funk, Feb 23, 2006.

  1. Adam Funk

    Adam Funk Guest

    http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1715470,00.html

    Wow, I'd like to play with a microwave that can blast the minerals out
    of rocks. (The article says "4m Watts" but I'm sure it means "4 MW".)

    --> Trevor Cross, e2v's technical director, reckons his
    --> souped-up beauty can cook a baked tatty in 0.02 seconds,
    --> although he warns that it might not really resemble a potato
    --> when it is done. It might be vapourised.

    Tags:

  2. Andy

    Andy Guest

  3. Ken

    Ken Guest

    "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > Adam Funk <[email protected]> wrote in news:0eu0d3-em2.ln1
    > @news.ducksburg.com:
    >
    >> http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1715470,00.html
    >>
    >> Wow, I'd like to play with a microwave that can blast the minerals out
    >> of rocks. (The article says "4m Watts" but I'm sure it means "4 MW".)

    > That's 4,000 watts. Gonna have to ajust the hell out of your cooking time
    > and power settings.
    >
    > Good luck,
    >
    > Andy

    Actually, if the 4mW= 4 Mega Watts- that is 4,000,000 Watts.

  4. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected]:

    > "Andy" <q> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> Adam Funk <[email protected]> wrote in news:0eu0d3-em2.ln1
    >> @news.ducksburg.com:
    >>
    >>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1715470,00.html
    >>>
    >>> Wow, I'd like to play with a microwave that can blast the minerals
    >>> out of rocks. (The article says "4m Watts" but I'm sure it means "4
    >>> MW".)

    >> That's 4,000 watts. Gonna have to ajust the hell out of your cooking
    >> time and power settings.
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >>
    >> Andy

    > Actually, if the 4mW= 4 Mega Watts- that is 4,000,000 Watts.

    Ken,

    I read it as 4 milli-watts.

    4,000,000 watts you couldn't defrost a turkey, it'd come out burnt to a
    crips after 1 second.

    Andy

  5. Bob Myers wrote on 23 Feb 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    > > >
    > > > Actually, if the 4mW= 4 Mega Watts- that is 4,000,000 Watts.

    > > Ken,
    > >
    > > I read it as 4 milli-watts.
    > >
    > > 4,000,000 watts you couldn't defrost a turkey, it'd come out burnt to

    > > crips after 1 second.

    > It's 4 MILLION watts, for sure. But that power is
    > delivered as a microsecond pulse.
    >
    > Bob M.

    And here I thought it was a statement about it's wave length not it's
    power. You know like AM, FM, SW ,MW, xray, etc...

    --
    -Alan

  6. Otto Bahn

    Otto Bahn Guest

    "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote

    > delivered as a microsecond pulse.

    Kontext-Away smiles as it hums along to the pulsating
    one thousand hertz vibrator.

    --oTTo--

  7. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Ken" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >> Adam Funk <[email protected]> wrote in news:0eu0d3-em2.ln1
    >> @news.ducksburg.com:
    >>
    >>> http://www.guardian.co.uk/climatechange/story/0,,1715470,00.html
    >>>
    >>> Wow, I'd like to play with a microwave that can blast the minerals out
    >>> of rocks. (The article says "4m Watts" but I'm sure it means "4 MW".)

    >> That's 4,000 watts. Gonna have to ajust the hell out of your cooking time
    >> and power settings.
    >>
    >> Good luck,
    >>
    >> Andy

    > Actually, if the 4mW= 4 Mega Watts- that is 4,000,000 Watts.

    You could dry your cat REAL fast.

    --
    Peter Aitken

  8. Adam Funk

    Adam Funk Guest

    On 2006-02-23, Bob Myers <[email protected]> wrote:

    > It's 4 MILLION watts, for sure. But that power is
    > delivered as a microsecond pulse.

    Even for a whole second, you'd only get charged for 1.1 kWh of
    'lectric.

  9. Adam Funk

    Adam Funk Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to alt.religion.kibology.]
    On 2006-02-23, Otto Bahn <[email protected]> wrote:
    > "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    >> delivered as a microsecond pulse.

    > Kontext-Away smiles as it hums along to the pulsating
    > one thousand hertz vibrator.

    1 million Hz.

  10. Andy

    Andy Guest

    "Bob Myers" <[email protected]> wrote in news:ARoLf.3578
    [email protected]:

    > "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    >> >
    >> > Actually, if the 4mW= 4 Mega Watts- that is 4,000,000 Watts.

    >> Ken,
    >>
    >> I read it as 4 milli-watts.
    >>
    >> 4,000,000 watts you couldn't defrost a turkey, it'd come out burnt to

    >> crips after 1 second.

    > It's 4 MILLION watts, for sure. But that power is
    > delivered as a microsecond pulse.
    >
    > Bob M.

    Yeah, sure. You don't plug a 4,000,000 watt microwave oven into an
    ordinary household outlet. Impossible.

    GIMMEABREAK!

    Andy

  11. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > > Actually, if the 4mW= 4 Mega Watts- that is 4,000,000 Watts.

    > Ken,
    >
    > I read it as 4 milli-watts.
    >
    > 4,000,000 watts you couldn't defrost a turkey, it'd come out burnt to a
    > crips after 1 second.

    It's 4 MILLION watts, for sure. But that power is
    delivered as a microsecond pulse.

    Bob M.

  12. AC

    AC Guest

    Mr Libido Incognito wrote:

    > And here I thought it was a statement about it's wave length not it's
    > power. You know like AM, FM, SW ,MW, xray, etc...

    if i'm not mistaken, i think nukers are relegated to the garbage unlicensed
    frequency range around 2.4 ghz

  13. Adam Funk

    Adam Funk Guest

    On 2006-02-23, Bob Myers <[email protected]> wrote:

    > 1 kWh of electrical energy is, just to give one common
    > example, is roughly what's contained in a moderate-sized
    > car battery.

    Woo-hoo! Portal blast-o-matic!

  14. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "Mr Libido Incognito" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > > It's 4 MILLION watts, for sure. But that power is
    > > delivered as a microsecond pulse.
    > >
    > > Bob M.
    > >

    > And here I thought it was a statement about it's wave length not it's
    > power. You know like AM, FM, SW ,MW, xray, etc...

    Nope; a microsecond period for the wave, if that's what was
    intended, would be only 1 MHz, not even into the shortwave
    frequencies and most definitely not a "microwave" signal.

    Bob M.

  15. Bob Myers

    Bob Myers Guest

    "Andy" <q> wrote in message news:[email protected]

    > Yeah, sure. You don't plug a 4,000,000 watt microwave oven into an
    > ordinary household outlet. Impossible.

    Well, first of all, who was talking about plugging the thing
    into a household outlet? The original article had to do with
    a very specialized piece of equipment made by e2v, a UK
    company which produces a pretty wide range of small-volume
    RF gear.

    But also - it's not at all impossible that such a device could be