4 pounds up since Friday???

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Meg Morgan, Feb 16, 2004.

  1. Meg Morgan

    Meg Morgan Guest

    Say it ain't so....

    I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
    this morning after my run (same scales) and was up four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP
    all weekend, piece of cake at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four
    pounds!!!! It's days like these that make we want to give up......

    Meg

    Tags:

  2. Mrs Duck

    Mrs Duck Guest

    Meg don't!

    I was up 2 lbs and just disgusted with myself. I was down a lb and half on Friday. So that means I
    am up a total of 3 1/2 lbs. I can't believe the cookie Friday and dinner Saturday killed me
    especially since I saved all my Flex points this week.

    Tracy
    232/198/150

  3. Ray Miller

    Ray Miller Guest

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Say it ain't so....
    >
    >I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
    >this morning after my run (same scales) and was up four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP
    >all weekend, piece of cake at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four
    >pounds!!!! It's days like these that make we want to give up......

    A person on WW normally loses about 1 lb a week. Unfortunately the weight of a person can easily
    vary by 5 pounds during a week. So the actual loss is far smaller than the normal variation. The
    normal fluctuation is due to the amount of food/drink in your tummy, plus a variable amount of
    water, plus clothing, etc. This makes any one WI a bit of a lottery. WW suggests that you weigh once
    a week after ablutions at the same time. This is supposed to minimize these fluctuations. Doing a WI
    every day is a great way to maximize the variations

    I gained 5 pounds last week on the scale but I know I didn't eat anything like enough to put that
    amount of fat on. I think that 3 or 4 of that is water weight (probably cos I was quite dehydrated)
    and next week I should be back to 202.

    If gaining 4 pounds makes you want to give up do this little experiment.

    Weight yourself first thing in the morning with no clothes on, but after ablutions. Then weigh
    yourself again after dinner in the same state of undress, making sure you have been OP all day. You
    will probably be 4 or 5 pounds heavier, but no fatter.

    On the other hand you claim to have been 'religiously' OP all week, but then admit to some cake (350
    calories?) and a few glasses of wine (650 calories?). Maybe you are underestimating portions or
    forgetting bits of food (I do that!)

    See what happens next week and review it then.

    Ray
    --
    rmnsuk overall - 273/207/182

  4. If you give up, what will that do for you? Will you maintain the losses you have already had?
    Will you continue to lose? How do you feel now, compared to the way you felt before you started
    this journey?

    Giving Up What will it do for you? Cause you to gain back all your efforts Will you Maintain? Not
    likely and most likely you will gain back what you have lost Will you continue to lose? Not likely
    How do you feel now compared to before? that is individual, but for myself I feel much better and am
    more energetic.

    Getting back on Program What will it do for you? You will continue on this journey of losing and
    feeling better and realize that there are bumps/pot holes in the road along the way. Will you
    maintain? You will keep off what you have lost and continue your journey. Will you continue to lose?
    You should continue to lose How do you feel now compared to before? again that is individual, but I
    will feel even better and more energetic and happier with myself.

    So stop beating yourself up over this bump in the road, continue on program, drink your water,
    count your points weigh/measure your foods and move a little more, in time it will cause the weight
    to come off.

    Debbie
    319.4/281.8/(RAFL 279)/150 rejoined WW 12/30/2000

    Look at my stats, they are not significant but I have not given up, I have not quit this journey
    yet, I had a HUGE bump in the road in 2002-2003, but I never quit, I did gain, but I never quit, so
    it too me a while to get completely back on program again, but I am completely on program again and
    have lost about 20 lbs since last summer and that was a big hurdle for me, had I not I would be
    back to 319 and more than likely more. So stick with the program and realize this is a way of life,
    not a diet.

    Stepping off my soapbox and back to your regularly scheduled newsgroup.

    "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:876Yb.14532$%[email protected]...
    > Say it ain't so....
    >
    > I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
    > this morning after my run (same scales) and was
    up
    > four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
    cake
    > at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
    > these that make we want to give up......
    >

    > Meg

  5. Meg Morgan

    Meg Morgan Guest

    What you're saying all makes sense...

    FWIW, by religously I meant Sunday through Friday (22 points, plus exercising 4 out of 5 days) I
    used Flex point for the cake and wine...While I didn't expect to lose over the weekend, I surely
    didn't think it would be a 4 pound gain. I usually weigh just on Mondays, but had done so well (at
    least on staying OP) I couldn't resist weighing on Friday. If I look at it from Monday to Monday, I
    only gained 2, which is still depressing, siince I worked so hard Sun -- through Fri. I don't think
    Flex Points is the best deal for me, I may go back to my range....

    Meg

    "ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:eek:[email protected]...
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Say it ain't so....
    > >
    > >I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
    > >this morning after my run (same scales) and was
    up
    > >four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
    cake
    > >at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
    > >these that make we want to give up......
    >
    > A person on WW normally loses about 1 lb a week. Unfortunately the weight of a person can easily
    > vary by 5 pounds during a week. So the actual loss is far smaller than the normal variation. The
    > normal fluctuation is due to the amount of food/drink in your tummy, plus a variable amount of
    > water, plus clothing, etc. This makes any one WI a bit of a lottery. WW suggests that you weigh
    > once a week after ablutions at the same time. This is supposed to minimize these fluctuations.
    > Doing a WI every day is a great way to maximize the variations
    >
    > I gained 5 pounds last week on the scale but I know I didn't eat anything like enough to put that
    > amount of fat on. I think that 3 or 4 of that is water weight (probably cos I was quite
    > dehydrated) and next week I should be back to 202.
    >
    > If gaining 4 pounds makes you want to give up do this little experiment.
    >
    > Weight yourself first thing in the morning with no clothes on, but after ablutions. Then weigh
    > yourself again after dinner in the same state of undress, making sure you have been OP all day.
    > You will probably be 4 or 5 pounds heavier, but no fatter.
    >
    > On the other hand you claim to have been 'religiously' OP all week, but then admit to some cake
    > (350 calories?) and a few glasses of wine (650 calories?). Maybe you are underestimating portions
    > or forgetting bits of food (I do that!)
    >
    > See what happens next week and review it then.
    >
    > Ray
    > --
    > rmnsuk overall - 273/207/182

  6. regular fluctuation, drink water, take a big breath, Lee
    Meg Morgan <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:876Yb.14532$%[email protected]...
    > Say it ain't so....
    >
    > I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
    > this morning after my run (same scales) and was
    up
    > four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
    cake
    > at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
    > these that make we want to give up......
    >

    > Meg

  7. Connie

    Connie Guest

    Meg:

    Don't give up!! Stay OP a week and see what the scale says. I bet you'll see a big whoosh!! Remember
    to drink your water (glug glug).

    --

    Cheers,

    Connie Walsh

    241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

    Meg Morgan wrote:
    > Say it ain't so....
    >
    > I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
    > this morning after my run (same scales) and was up four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP
    > all weekend, piece of cake at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four
    > pounds!!!! It's days like these that make we want to give up......
    >

    > Meg

  8. Those nasty fluctuations. Times like this, it's really hard to focus on the big picture. But now is
    when it's extra critical to get some perspective and look at your overall weight loss trend, take
    your measurements and notice the inches lost, and remember that one WI doesn't really mean very much
    in the long run. Just keep working the program, and the results will come.

    Prairie Roots

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Say it ain't so....
    >
    >I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
    >this morning after my run (same scales) and was up four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP
    >all weekend, piece of cake at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four
    >pounds!!!! It's days like these that make we want to give up......
    >

    >Meg

  9. Meg Morgan

    Meg Morgan Guest

    Thanks everyone, 2 of those pounds are already gone....I appreciate the support and have stayed on
    program yesterday and today pretty well (12 points left for dinner, and I haven't worked out yet,
    but will at 4:00) I saw some very skinny women at my book club today and have gotten re-motivated,
    if they can do it, so can I (most of them are on South Beach or Atkins, which are not for me....)

    Meg "Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Those nasty fluctuations. Times like this, it's really hard to focus on the big picture. But now
    > is when it's extra critical to get some perspective and look at your overall weight loss trend,
    > take your measurements and notice the inches lost, and remember that one WI doesn't really mean
    > very much in the long run. Just keep working the program, and the results will come.
    >
    > Prairie Roots
    >
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Say it ain't so....
    > >
    > >I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
    > >this morning after my run (same scales) and was
    up
    > >four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
    cake
    > >at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
    > >these that make we want to give up......
    > >

    > >Meg

  10. Schmoopie

    Schmoopie Guest

    > I saw some very skinny women at my book club today and have gotten re-motivated, if they can do
    > it, so can I

    LOL those skinny women'll do it for you.

    Love books - what are you reading?

    --
    Hugs, Schmoopie

  11. John

    John Guest

  12. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Don't give up Meg, don't do it! My first suggestion to you would be to run away from the scale!
    Weigh ONLY once a week. Don't go on it or anywhere near it at any other time. It is only going to
    frustrate the heck out of you, like it just did. Your weight will normally flucuate on a daily
    basis, on an hourly basis. Everything I have read on any weightloss program says to only weigh
    yourself once a week. Unless you can handle the mental anguish (and I don't think you are there yet)
    you should probably be following that wisdom.

    I do weigh myself daily, but have been doing ww for over 2 years now. I am used to the constant ups
    and downs - they don't bug me, I can reason through them. It took me a long time to get there
    though. Last wednesday my weight was down to a number I haven't seen in dang near 20 years. Friday
    it was up a pound for my official weigh in day. Monday it was up 2 more pounds, today it was back
    down 3 pounds. Fluids, excess food, excess waste, exercise, weather, humidity, dehydration, etc. all
    will play a game with the number on the scale.

    Now step away from that scale and continue on your journey! <grin>

    Joyce

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Say it ain't so....
    >
    >I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
    >this morning after my run (same scales) and was up four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP
    >all weekend, piece of cake at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four
    >pounds!!!! It's days like these that make we want to give up......
    >

    >Meg

  13. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    Meg, have you considered the possibility of changing your weigh in day? This might be a good thing
    for you to do if you have a tendency to splurge on the week-ends. Even if you are within your points
    for the week, eating heavier (yet still having the points) the days just prior to weighing in WILL
    definitely show an increase on the scale. It might not be actual weight gain, more than likely
    fluids - but it will show up. This is exactly why I chose Fridays as my day when I started ww. I
    know my habits and my family's schedule. We have a tendency to run more on week-ends. Any family
    type gatherings or celebrations are on the week-ends. By weighing on Friday, it gave me a clean
    slate to work with on the week-end. Just something you might want to consider.

    Joyce

    On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:57:06 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >What you're saying all makes sense...
    >
    >FWIW, by religously I meant Sunday through Friday (22 points, plus exercising 4 out of 5 days) I
    >used Flex point for the cake and wine...While I didn't expect to lose over the weekend, I surely
    >didn't think it would be a 4 pound gain. I usually weigh just on Mondays, but had done so well (at
    >least on staying OP) I couldn't resist weighing on Friday. If I look at it from Monday to Monday, I
    >only gained 2, which is still depressing, siince I worked so hard Sun -- through Fri. I don't think
    >Flex Points is the best deal for me, I may go back to my range....
    >
    >Meg
    >

    >"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:eek:[email protected]...
    >> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Say it ain't so....
    >> >
    >> >I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I
    >> >weighed this morning after my run (same scales) and was
    >up
    >> >four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
    >cake
    >> >at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
    >> >these that make we want to give up......
    >>
    >> A person on WW normally loses about 1 lb a week. Unfortunately the weight of a person can easily
    >> vary by 5 pounds during a week. So the actual loss is far smaller than the normal variation. The
    >> normal fluctuation is due to the amount of food/drink in your tummy, plus a variable amount of
    >> water, plus clothing, etc. This makes any one WI a bit of a lottery. WW suggests that you weigh
    >> once a week after ablutions at the same time. This is supposed to minimize these fluctuations.
    >> Doing a WI every day is a great way to maximize the variations
    >>
    >> I gained 5 pounds last week on the scale but I know I didn't eat anything like enough to put that
    >> amount of fat on. I think that 3 or 4 of that is water weight (probably cos I was quite
    >> dehydrated) and next week I should be back to 202.
    >>
    >> If gaining 4 pounds makes you want to give up do this little experiment.
    >>
    >> Weight yourself first thing in the morning with no clothes on, but after ablutions. Then weigh
    >> yourself again after dinner in the same state of undress, making sure you have been OP all day.
    >> You will probably be 4 or 5 pounds heavier, but no fatter.
    >>
    >> On the other hand you claim to have been 'religiously' OP all week, but then admit to some cake
    >> (350 calories?) and a few glasses of wine (650 calories?). Maybe you are underestimating portions
    >> or forgetting bits of food (I do that!)
    >>
    >> See what happens next week and review it then.
    >>
    >> Ray
    >> --
    >> rmnsuk overall - 273/207/182

  14. Meg Morgan

    Meg Morgan Guest

    Thanks Joyce,

    I can tell today from my rings that my fingers are less swollen, (the rain has finally ended here in
    NC) and I resisted weighing myself at the Y after my run. My goal is to lose 50 pounds in two years,
    the two years is up at the end of April and I have 20 to go, I guess I have to concentrate on the 30
    I did get off...and keep on going

    Meg "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Don't give up Meg, don't do it! My first suggestion to you would be to
    run away
    > from the scale! Weigh ONLY once a week. Don't go on it or anywhere near
    it at
    > any other time. It is only going to frustrate the heck out of you, like
    it just
    > did. Your weight will normally flucuate on a daily basis, on an hourly
    basis.
    > Everything I have read on any weightloss program says to only weigh
    yourself once
    > a week. Unless you can handle the mental anguish (and I don't think you
    are there
    > yet) you should probably be following that wisdom.
    >
    > I do weigh myself daily, but have been doing ww for over 2 years now. I
    am used
    > to the constant ups and downs - they don't bug me, I can reason through
    them. It
    > took me a long time to get there though. Last wednesday my weight was
    down to a
    > number I haven't seen in dang near 20 years. Friday it was up a pound for
    my
    > official weigh in day. Monday it was up 2 more pounds, today it was back
    down 3
    > pounds. Fluids, excess food, excess waste, exercise, weather, humidity, dehydration, etc. all will
    > play a game with the number on the scale.
    >
    > Now step away from that scale and continue on your journey! <grin>
    >
    > Joyce
    >
    > On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    > >Say it ain't so....
    > >
    > >I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
    > >this morning after my run (same scales) and was
    up
    > >four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
    cake
    > >at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
    > >these that make we want to give up......
    > >

    > >Meg

  15. Meg Morgan

    Meg Morgan Guest

    Here are some of the recent ones we've read, I've *-ed the ones I
    especially liked:

    Life of Pi ******** The Virgin's Knot The DaVinci Code* Nowhere Else on Earth* Mrs. Kimble The Red
    Tent* When we were Orphans Redeeming Love* The MAgician's Assistant** "Schmoopie"
    <[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
    > > I saw some very skinny women at my book club today and have gotten re-motivated, if they can do
    > > it, so can I
    >
    > LOL those skinny women'll do it for you.
    >
    > Love books - what are you reading?
    >
    > --
    > Hugs, Schmoopie

  16. Joyce

    Joyce Guest

    I'd also be willing to bet that those scales at the Y aren't 100% accurate - probably aren't
    calibrated or checked for accuracy very often. The more people that use them, the more often scales
    really do need to be calibrated. Losing 30 pounds is fantastic! It really doesn't matter how long it
    takes to shed the next 20 pounds. The important thing is to just stay focused and they will come off
    eventually. I have not doubts that you WILL get where you want to be.

    Joyce