4 pounds up since Friday???

Meg Morgan

Guest
Say it ain't so....

I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
this morning after my run (same scales) and was up four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP
all weekend, piece of cake at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four
pounds!!!! It's days like these that make we want to give up......

Meg

Meg don't!

I was up 2 lbs and just disgusted with myself. I was down a lb and half on Friday. So that means I
am up a total of 3 1/2 lbs. I can't believe the cookie Friday and dinner Saturday killed me
especially since I saved all my Flex points this week.

Tracy
232/198/150

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Say it ain't so....
>
>I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
>this morning after my run (same scales) and was up four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP
>all weekend, piece of cake at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four
>pounds!!!! It's days like these that make we want to give up......

A person on WW normally loses about 1 lb a week. Unfortunately the weight of a person can easily
vary by 5 pounds during a week. So the actual loss is far smaller than the normal variation. The
normal fluctuation is due to the amount of food/drink in your tummy, plus a variable amount of
water, plus clothing, etc. This makes any one WI a bit of a lottery. WW suggests that you weigh once
a week after ablutions at the same time. This is supposed to minimize these fluctuations. Doing a WI
every day is a great way to maximize the variations

I gained 5 pounds last week on the scale but I know I didn't eat anything like enough to put that
amount of fat on. I think that 3 or 4 of that is water weight (probably cos I was quite dehydrated)
and next week I should be back to 202.

If gaining 4 pounds makes you want to give up do this little experiment.

Weight yourself first thing in the morning with no clothes on, but after ablutions. Then weigh
yourself again after dinner in the same state of undress, making sure you have been OP all day. You
will probably be 4 or 5 pounds heavier, but no fatter.

On the other hand you claim to have been 'religiously' OP all week, but then admit to some cake (350
calories?) and a few glasses of wine (650 calories?). Maybe you are underestimating portions or
forgetting bits of food (I do that!)

See what happens next week and review it then.

Ray
--
rmnsuk overall - 273/207/182

If you give up, what will that do for you? Will you maintain the losses you have already had?
Will you continue to lose? How do you feel now, compared to the way you felt before you started
this journey?

Giving Up What will it do for you? Cause you to gain back all your efforts Will you Maintain? Not
likely and most likely you will gain back what you have lost Will you continue to lose? Not likely
How do you feel now compared to before? that is individual, but for myself I feel much better and am
more energetic.

Getting back on Program What will it do for you? You will continue on this journey of losing and
feeling better and realize that there are bumps/pot holes in the road along the way. Will you
maintain? You will keep off what you have lost and continue your journey. Will you continue to lose?
You should continue to lose How do you feel now compared to before? again that is individual, but I
will feel even better and more energetic and happier with myself.

So stop beating yourself up over this bump in the road, continue on program, drink your water,
count your points weigh/measure your foods and move a little more, in time it will cause the weight
to come off.

Debbie
319.4/281.8/(RAFL 279)/150 rejoined WW 12/30/2000

Look at my stats, they are not significant but I have not given up, I have not quit this journey
yet, I had a HUGE bump in the road in 2002-2003, but I never quit, I did gain, but I never quit, so
it too me a while to get completely back on program again, but I am completely on program again and
have lost about 20 lbs since last summer and that was a big hurdle for me, had I not I would be
back to 319 and more than likely more. So stick with the program and realize this is a way of life,
not a diet.

Stepping off my soapbox and back to your regularly scheduled newsgroup.

"Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:876Yb.14532$%[email protected]...
> Say it ain't so....
>
> I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
> this morning after my run (same scales) and was
up
> four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
cake
> at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
> these that make we want to give up......
>

> Meg

What you're saying all makes sense...

FWIW, by religously I meant Sunday through Friday (22 points, plus exercising 4 out of 5 days) I
used Flex point for the cake and wine...While I didn't expect to lose over the weekend, I surely
didn't think it would be a 4 pound gain. I usually weigh just on Mondays, but had done so well (at
least on staying OP) I couldn't resist weighing on Friday. If I look at it from Monday to Monday, I
only gained 2, which is still depressing, siince I worked so hard Sun -- through Fri. I don't think
Flex Points is the best deal for me, I may go back to my range....

Meg

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:eek:[email protected]...
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Say it ain't so....
> >
> >I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
> >this morning after my run (same scales) and was
up
> >four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
cake
> >at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
> >these that make we want to give up......
>
> A person on WW normally loses about 1 lb a week. Unfortunately the weight of a person can easily
> vary by 5 pounds during a week. So the actual loss is far smaller than the normal variation. The
> normal fluctuation is due to the amount of food/drink in your tummy, plus a variable amount of
> water, plus clothing, etc. This makes any one WI a bit of a lottery. WW suggests that you weigh
> once a week after ablutions at the same time. This is supposed to minimize these fluctuations.
> Doing a WI every day is a great way to maximize the variations
>
> I gained 5 pounds last week on the scale but I know I didn't eat anything like enough to put that
> amount of fat on. I think that 3 or 4 of that is water weight (probably cos I was quite
> dehydrated) and next week I should be back to 202.
>
> If gaining 4 pounds makes you want to give up do this little experiment.
>
> Weight yourself first thing in the morning with no clothes on, but after ablutions. Then weigh
> yourself again after dinner in the same state of undress, making sure you have been OP all day.
> You will probably be 4 or 5 pounds heavier, but no fatter.
>
> On the other hand you claim to have been 'religiously' OP all week, but then admit to some cake
> (350 calories?) and a few glasses of wine (650 calories?). Maybe you are underestimating portions
> or forgetting bits of food (I do that!)
>
> See what happens next week and review it then.
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk overall - 273/207/182

regular fluctuation, drink water, take a big breath, Lee
Meg Morgan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:876Yb.14532$%[email protected]...
> Say it ain't so....
>
> I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
> this morning after my run (same scales) and was
up
> four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
cake
> at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
> these that make we want to give up......
>

> Meg

Meg:

Don't give up!! Stay OP a week and see what the scale says. I bet you'll see a big whoosh!! Remember
to drink your water (glug glug).

--

Cheers,

Connie Walsh

241.5/204/155 RAFL 210.5/204/198.5

Meg Morgan wrote:
> Say it ain't so....
>
> I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
> this morning after my run (same scales) and was up four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP
> all weekend, piece of cake at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four
> pounds!!!! It's days like these that make we want to give up......
>

> Meg

Those nasty fluctuations. Times like this, it's really hard to focus on the big picture. But now is
when it's extra critical to get some perspective and look at your overall weight loss trend, take
your measurements and notice the inches lost, and remember that one WI doesn't really mean very much
in the long run. Just keep working the program, and the results will come.

Prairie Roots

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Say it ain't so....
>
>I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
>this morning after my run (same scales) and was up four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP
>all weekend, piece of cake at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four
>pounds!!!! It's days like these that make we want to give up......
>

>Meg

Thanks everyone, 2 of those pounds are already gone....I appreciate the support and have stayed on
program yesterday and today pretty well (12 points left for dinner, and I haven't worked out yet,
but will at 4:00) I saw some very skinny women at my book club today and have gotten re-motivated,
if they can do it, so can I (most of them are on South Beach or Atkins, which are not for me....)

Meg "Prairie Roots" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Those nasty fluctuations. Times like this, it's really hard to focus on the big picture. But now
> is when it's extra critical to get some perspective and look at your overall weight loss trend,
> take your measurements and notice the inches lost, and remember that one WI doesn't really mean
> very much in the long run. Just keep working the program, and the results will come.
>
> Prairie Roots
>
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >Say it ain't so....
> >
> >I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
> >this morning after my run (same scales) and was
up
> >four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
cake
> >at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
> >these that make we want to give up......
> >

> >Meg

> I saw some very skinny women at my book club today and have gotten re-motivated, if they can do
> it, so can I

LOL those skinny women'll do it for you.

Love books - what are you reading?

--
Hugs, Schmoopie

Don't give up Meg, don't do it! My first suggestion to you would be to run away from the scale!
Weigh ONLY once a week. Don't go on it or anywhere near it at any other time. It is only going to
frustrate the heck out of you, like it just did. Your weight will normally flucuate on a daily
basis, on an hourly basis. Everything I have read on any weightloss program says to only weigh
yourself once a week. Unless you can handle the mental anguish (and I don't think you are there yet)
you should probably be following that wisdom.

I do weigh myself daily, but have been doing ww for over 2 years now. I am used to the constant ups
and downs - they don't bug me, I can reason through them. It took me a long time to get there
though. Last wednesday my weight was down to a number I haven't seen in dang near 20 years. Friday
it was up a pound for my official weigh in day. Monday it was up 2 more pounds, today it was back
down 3 pounds. Fluids, excess food, excess waste, exercise, weather, humidity, dehydration, etc. all
will play a game with the number on the scale.

Now step away from that scale and continue on your journey! <grin>

Joyce

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Say it ain't so....
>
>I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
>this morning after my run (same scales) and was up four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP
>all weekend, piece of cake at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four
>pounds!!!! It's days like these that make we want to give up......
>

>Meg

Meg, have you considered the possibility of changing your weigh in day? This might be a good thing
for you to do if you have a tendency to splurge on the week-ends. Even if you are within your points
for the week, eating heavier (yet still having the points) the days just prior to weighing in WILL
definitely show an increase on the scale. It might not be actual weight gain, more than likely
fluids - but it will show up. This is exactly why I chose Fridays as my day when I started ww. I
know my habits and my family's schedule. We have a tendency to run more on week-ends. Any family
type gatherings or celebrations are on the week-ends. By weighing on Friday, it gave me a clean
slate to work with on the week-end. Just something you might want to consider.

Joyce

On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 19:57:06 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:

>What you're saying all makes sense...
>
>FWIW, by religously I meant Sunday through Friday (22 points, plus exercising 4 out of 5 days) I
>used Flex point for the cake and wine...While I didn't expect to lose over the weekend, I surely
>didn't think it would be a 4 pound gain. I usually weigh just on Mondays, but had done so well (at
>least on staying OP) I couldn't resist weighing on Friday. If I look at it from Monday to Monday, I
>only gained 2, which is still depressing, siince I worked so hard Sun -- through Fri. I don't think
>Flex Points is the best deal for me, I may go back to my range....
>
>Meg
>

>"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:eek:[email protected]...
>> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>> >Say it ain't so....
>> >
>> >I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I
>> >weighed this morning after my run (same scales) and was
>up
>> >four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
>cake
>> >at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
>> >these that make we want to give up......
>>
>> A person on WW normally loses about 1 lb a week. Unfortunately the weight of a person can easily
>> vary by 5 pounds during a week. So the actual loss is far smaller than the normal variation. The
>> normal fluctuation is due to the amount of food/drink in your tummy, plus a variable amount of
>> water, plus clothing, etc. This makes any one WI a bit of a lottery. WW suggests that you weigh
>> once a week after ablutions at the same time. This is supposed to minimize these fluctuations.
>> Doing a WI every day is a great way to maximize the variations
>>
>> I gained 5 pounds last week on the scale but I know I didn't eat anything like enough to put that
>> amount of fat on. I think that 3 or 4 of that is water weight (probably cos I was quite
>> dehydrated) and next week I should be back to 202.
>>
>> If gaining 4 pounds makes you want to give up do this little experiment.
>>
>> Weight yourself first thing in the morning with no clothes on, but after ablutions. Then weigh
>> yourself again after dinner in the same state of undress, making sure you have been OP all day.
>> You will probably be 4 or 5 pounds heavier, but no fatter.
>>
>> On the other hand you claim to have been 'religiously' OP all week, but then admit to some cake
>> (350 calories?) and a few glasses of wine (650 calories?). Maybe you are underestimating portions
>> or forgetting bits of food (I do that!)
>>
>> See what happens next week and review it then.
>>
>> Ray
>> --
>> rmnsuk overall - 273/207/182

Thanks Joyce,

I can tell today from my rings that my fingers are less swollen, (the rain has finally ended here in
NC) and I resisted weighing myself at the Y after my run. My goal is to lose 50 pounds in two years,
the two years is up at the end of April and I have 20 to go, I guess I have to concentrate on the 30
I did get off...and keep on going

Meg "Joyce" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Don't give up Meg, don't do it! My first suggestion to you would be to
run away
> from the scale! Weigh ONLY once a week. Don't go on it or anywhere near
it at
> any other time. It is only going to frustrate the heck out of you, like
it just
> did. Your weight will normally flucuate on a daily basis, on an hourly
basis.
> Everything I have read on any weightloss program says to only weigh
yourself once
> a week. Unless you can handle the mental anguish (and I don't think you
are there
> yet) you should probably be following that wisdom.
>
> I do weigh myself daily, but have been doing ww for over 2 years now. I
am used
> to the constant ups and downs - they don't bug me, I can reason through
them. It
> took me a long time to get there though. Last wednesday my weight was
down to a
> number I haven't seen in dang near 20 years. Friday it was up a pound for
my
> official weigh in day. Monday it was up 2 more pounds, today it was back
down 3
> pounds. Fluids, excess food, excess waste, exercise, weather, humidity, dehydration, etc. all will
> play a game with the number on the scale.
>
> Now step away from that scale and continue on your journey! <grin>
>
> Joyce
>
> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004 16:22:28 GMT, "Meg Morgan" <[email protected]>
wrote:

> >Say it ain't so....
> >
> >I worked out and was OP religiously last week and weight Friday morning after my run....I weighed
> >this morning after my run (same scales) and was
up
> >four pounds!!! OK, so maybe I wasn't totally OP all weekend, piece of
cake
> >at a wedding Saturday, a few glasses of wine Saturday night...but four pounds!!!! It's days like
> >these that make we want to give up......
> >

> >Meg

Here are some of the recent ones we've read, I've *-ed the ones I
especially liked:

Life of Pi ******** The Virgin's Knot The DaVinci Code* Nowhere Else on Earth* Mrs. Kimble The Red
Tent* When we were Orphans Redeeming Love* The MAgician's Assistant** "Schmoopie"
<[email protected]> wrote in message news:p[email protected]...
> > I saw some very skinny women at my book club today and have gotten re-motivated, if they can do
> > it, so can I
>
> LOL those skinny women'll do it for you.
>
> Love books - what are you reading?
>
> --
> Hugs, Schmoopie

I'd also be willing to bet that those scales at the Y aren't 100% accurate - probably aren't
calibrated or checked for accuracy very often. The more people that use them, the more often scales
really do need to be calibrated. Losing 30 pounds is fantastic! It really doesn't matter how long it
takes to shed the next 20 pounds. The important thing is to just stay focused and they will come off
eventually. I have not doubts that you WILL get where you want to be.

Joyce