4 very slow very easy miles

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Jeff Grippe, Apr 17, 2006.

  1. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    I know this isn't much but yesterday I got out on my remaining trike and
    rode 4 very slow, very easy miles. I think the important thing here is that
    I was able to do it at all. I could have done more especially since my speed
    really was quite slow and the terrain quite flat. For the time being I have
    avoided the question of how I would do on a steep hill. My right leg was
    twitchy and I'm almost certain that a genuine struggle such as a hill would
    exacerbate that. But I can ride and there was no additional pain other than
    the pain that I have all the time. It is a start.

    Jeff

    Tags:

  2. Dan B.

    Dan B. Guest

    Jeff Grippe wrote:
    > I know this isn't much but yesterday I got out on my remaining trike and
    > rode 4 very slow, very easy miles. I think the important thing here is that
    > I was able to do it at all. I could have done more especially since my speed
    > really was quite slow and the terrain quite flat. For the time being I have
    > avoided the question of how I would do on a steep hill. My right leg was
    > twitchy and I'm almost certain that a genuine struggle such as a hill would
    > exacerbate that. But I can ride and there was no additional pain other than
    > the pain that I have all the time. It is a start.
    >
    > Jeff

    Jeff,

    I'm glad to hear you're recovering. Do you think you'll be able to ride
    any rail-trails this year? As I'm sure you remember, the Yough River
    Trail near Pittsburgh is quite flat...might be a good recovery goal...

    Best wishes,

    Dan

  3. JimmyMac

    JimmyMac Guest

    Jeff Grippe wrote:
    > I know this isn't much but yesterday I got out on my remaining trike and
    > rode 4 very slow, very easy miles. I think the important thing here is that
    > I was able to do it at all. I could have done more especially since my speed
    > really was quite slow and the terrain quite flat. For the time being I have
    > avoided the question of how I would do on a steep hill. My right leg was
    > twitchy and I'm almost certain that a genuine struggle such as a hill would
    > exacerbate that. But I can ride and there was no additional pain other than
    > the pain that I have all the time. It is a start.
    >
    > Jeff

    Jeff,

    Rememberyou took tenuous baby steps long befor you learned to run.
    Remember too that Greg LeMond came back from a life-threatening
    hunting accident and Lance Armstrong came back from life-threatening
    cancer and they both went on to win the TDF multiple times. Be
    patient. You'll eventually progress over time. Good to hear that you
    are encouraged by your first effort.

    Best wishes,

    Jim McNamara

  4. Jeff Grippe

    Jeff Grippe Guest

    I already have a few days in August set aside for Rail Trails. I don't know
    if I be back near the Yough but I will be in PA. Most of the rail trails are
    graded in a way that I can ride them. The only problem is that I'll be quite
    slow. That won't keep me from enjoying it, however. My wife and I have it
    worked out where I ride ahead and she lays back and takes pictures of the
    wildlife or anything else that interests her. After a while, she catches up
    and rides with me for a bit. This gives her a method to ride her normal pace
    (she hates riding slow) for a while, taking pictures (which she enjoy), and
    then riding with me for a while.

    We are going to be near Tannersville. I haven't looked up local rail trails
    yet but I'm open to suggestions. I think we have three days set aside for
    rail trail riding.

    Jeff
    news:[email protected]