4 wheel drive vehicles - they are more dangerous than we thought

Martin

Guest
http://tinyurl.com/jbqop

Lesley Walker 1, Jonathan Williams 1, Konrad Jamrozik 2*

1 Department of Primary Care and Social Medicine, Imperial College, London
2 School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, Qld
4006, Australia

BMJ, 23 June 2006

Objective To assess the level of compliance with the new law in the
United Kingdom mandating penalties for using a hand held mobile phone
while driving, to compare compliance with this law with the one on the
use of seat belts, and to compare compliance with these laws between
drivers of four wheel drive vehicles and drivers of normal cars.

Design Observational study with two phases--one within the "grace"
period, the other starting one week after penalties were imposed on
drivers using such telephones.

Setting Three busy sites in London.

Participants Drivers of 38,182 normal cars and 2944 four wheel drive
vehicles.

Main outcome measures Proportions of drivers seen to be using hand held
mobile phones and not using seat belts.

Results Drivers of four wheel drive vehicles were more likely than
drivers of other cars to be seen using hand held mobile phones (8.2% v
2.0%) and not complying with the law on seat belts (19.5% v 15.0%).
Levels of non-compliance with both laws were slightly higher in the
penalty phase of observation, and breaking one law was associated with
increased likelihood of breaking the other.

Conclusions The level of non-compliance with the law on the use of hand
held mobile phones by drivers in London is high, as is non-compliance
with the law on seat belts. Drivers of four wheel drive vehicles were
four times more likely than drivers of other cars to be seen using hand
held mobile phones and slightly more likely not to comply with the law
on seat belts.

--
Removed z before replying by email.

Martin wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/jbqop
>
> Lesley Walker 1, Jonathan Williams 1, Konrad Jamrozik 2*
>
> 1 Department of Primary Care and Social Medicine, Imperial College, London
> 2 School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, Qld
> 4006, Australia
>
> BMJ, 23 June 2006
>
> Objective To assess the level of compliance with the new law in the
> United Kingdom mandating penalties for using a hand held mobile phone
> while driving, to compare compliance with this law with the one on the
> use of seat belts, and to compare compliance with these laws between
> drivers of four wheel drive vehicles and drivers of normal cars.
>
> Design Observational study with two phases--one within the "grace"
> period, the other starting one week after penalties were imposed on
> drivers using such telephones.
>
> Setting Three busy sites in London.
>
> Participants Drivers of 38,182 normal cars and 2944 four wheel drive
> vehicles.
>
> Main outcome measures Proportions of drivers seen to be using hand held
> mobile phones and not using seat belts.
>
> Results Drivers of four wheel drive vehicles were more likely than
> drivers of other cars to be seen using hand held mobile phones (8.2% v
> 2.0%) and not complying with the law on seat belts (19.5% v 15.0%).
> Levels of non-compliance with both laws were slightly higher in the
> penalty phase of observation, and breaking one law was associated with
> increased likelihood of breaking the other.
>
> Conclusions The level of non-compliance with the law on the use of hand
> held mobile phones by drivers in London is high, as is non-compliance
> with the law on seat belts. Drivers of four wheel drive vehicles were
> four times more likely than drivers of other cars to be seen using hand
> held mobile phones and slightly more likely not to comply with the law
> on seat belts.

Which is possibly why these turkeys get killed twice as often as drivers
of normal cars in rollover crashes. I query the figures though, the
survey indicates 4WDs constitute less than 10 per cent of all motor
traffic. Land barges are known to represent 25 per cent of all new car
sales in the UK. I'd be interested in seeing a similar Australian
survey.

Martin wrote:
> http://tinyurl.com/jbqop
>
> Lesley Walker 1, Jonathan Williams 1, Konrad Jamrozik 2*
>
> 1 Department of Primary Care and Social Medicine, Imperial College, London
> 2 School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, Qld
> 4006, Australia
>
> BMJ, 23 June 2006

>snip<

All well and good, but then I started reading some of the comments. You
could drive yourself crazy trying to understand the `logic' some of the
Cheers
Euan

I heard some Australian info that 4wders are more likely to be drink driving
also.

"Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> http://tinyurl.com/jbqop
>
> Lesley Walker 1, Jonathan Williams 1, Konrad Jamrozik 2*
>
> 1 Department of Primary Care and Social Medicine, Imperial College, London
> 2 School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, Qld
> 4006, Australia
>
> BMJ, 23 June 2006
>
> Objective To assess the level of compliance with the new law in the United
> Kingdom mandating penalties for using a hand held mobile phone while
> driving, to compare compliance with this law with the one on the use of
> seat belts, and to compare compliance with these laws between drivers of
> four wheel drive vehicles and drivers of normal cars.
>
> Design Observational study with two phases--one within the "grace" period,
> the other starting one week after penalties were imposed on drivers using
> such telephones.
>
> Setting Three busy sites in London.
>
> Participants Drivers of 38,182 normal cars and 2944 four wheel drive
> vehicles.
>
> Main outcome measures Proportions of drivers seen to be using hand held
> mobile phones and not using seat belts.
>
> Results Drivers of four wheel drive vehicles were more likely than drivers
> of other cars to be seen using hand held mobile phones (8.2% v 2.0%) and
> not complying with the law on seat belts (19.5% v 15.0%). Levels of
> non-compliance with both laws were slightly higher in the penalty phase of
> observation, and breaking one law was associated with increased likelihood
> of breaking the other.
>
> Conclusions The level of non-compliance with the law on the use of hand
> held mobile phones by drivers in London is high, as is non-compliance with
> the law on seat belts. Drivers of four wheel drive vehicles were four
> times more likely than drivers of other cars to be seen using hand held
> mobile phones and slightly more likely not to comply with the law on seat
> belts.
>
> --
> Removed z before replying by email.

You only have to look at the ads to see that they are sold to arrogant
people.I'm sure the car makers do their market research to come up with
slogans such as:

"Give way.. not" (Jeep)
"Get in, or get out of the way" (Toyota)
"Be top of the food chain" (Toyota)
"Own this city" (Hyundai)

Katharine & Paul wrote:
> You only have to look at the ads to see that they are sold to arrogant
> people.I'm sure the car makers do their market research to come up with
> slogans such as:
>
> "Give way.. not" (Jeep)
> "Get in, or get out of the way" (Toyota)
> "Be top of the food chain" (Toyota)
> "Own this city" (Hyundai)
>

> "Martin" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> http://tinyurl.com/jbqop
>>
>> Lesley Walker 1, Jonathan Williams 1, Konrad Jamrozik 2*
>>
>> 1 Department of Primary Care and Social Medicine, Imperial College, London
>> 2 School of Population Health, University of Queensland, Herston, Qld
>> 4006, Australia
>>
>> BMJ, 23 June 2006
>>
>> Objective To assess the level of compliance with the new law in the United
>> Kingdom mandating penalties for using a hand held mobile phone while
>> driving, to compare compliance with this law with the one on the use of
>> seat belts, and to compare compliance with these laws between drivers of
>> four wheel drive vehicles and drivers of normal cars.
>>
>> Design Observational study with two phases--one within the "grace" period,
>> the other starting one week after penalties were imposed on drivers using
>> such telephones.
>>
>> Setting Three busy sites in London.
>>
>> Participants Drivers of 38,182 normal cars and 2944 four wheel drive
>> vehicles.
>>
>> Main outcome measures Proportions of drivers seen to be using hand held
>> mobile phones and not using seat belts.
>>
>> Results Drivers of four wheel drive vehicles were more likely than drivers
>> of other cars to be seen using hand held mobile phones (8.2% v 2.0%) and
>> not complying with the law on seat belts (19.5% v 15.0%). Levels of
>> non-compliance with both laws were slightly higher in the penalty phase of
>> observation, and breaking one law was associated with increased likelihood
>> of breaking the other.
>>
>> Conclusions The level of non-compliance with the law on the use of hand
>> held mobile phones by drivers in London is high, as is non-compliance with
>> the law on seat belts. Drivers of four wheel drive vehicles were four
>> times more likely than drivers of other cars to be seen using hand held
>> mobile phones and slightly more likely not to comply with the law on seat
>> belts.
>>
>> --
>> Removed z before replying by email.

I want one for my ancient Land Rover that I saw once ...

"YOU are my crumple zone"

It'd be funny if it wasn't also true

Karen
--
"I'd far rather be happy than right any day."
- Slartibartfast

"Katharine & Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You only have to look at the ads to see that they are sold to arrogant
> people.I'm sure the car makers do their market research to come up with
> slogans such as:
>
> "Give way.. not" (Jeep)
> "Get in, or get out of the way" (Toyota)
> "Be top of the food chain" (Toyota)
> "Own this city" (Hyundai)

And in the "if only it was true" catagory...

"There's only one Jeep."

The report doesn't match with the thread title. It's 4WD *drivers* that
are, on average, more dangerous (in the context of this report at
least).

Graeme

But these *drivers* do drive something

news:[email protected]...