4 years, it was his own fault your honour !

boulder

Guest
Just to level things up, heres the comments from the more representative x
section on the beeb web site

You have sent us your comments on this story. Here are a selection:

Jordan Wickington would be alive today if Kiera Coultas hadn't been using
her mobile phone. He would also be alive today if he hadn't ignored the red
light. Why couldn't the police say "The answer is quite simple - don't use
your mobile phone and drive, and don't go through red lights"?
Graham Bragg, Beenham, Berkshire

He ran the red light; therefore his fault and his blame. Texting and the
speed only affected the severity of the accident and did not cause the
accident.
Neil, London

I know that the driver was wrong to be texting, but it was 50/50 in wrong
doing, the cyclist also should not have gone through a red light.
Christine, Chesham, Bucks

Whilst I agree that the motorist should not have been texting and exceeding
the speed limit, the fact that the cyclist jumped a red light seems largely
ignored in this case. When will cyclists learn that they have to adhere to
the same rules of the road as other users?
Andrew, Norwich

Whilst not diminishing the part speeding and mobile phone use had in all of
this, the story makes no mention of the judge's remarks (or otherwise)
regarding the cyclist passing through a red light and so was also guilty of
dangerous road use. Surely the cyclist had a part to play in this whole
sorry episode; however the reporting would appear to have the fault lie
completely with the driver

MC, UK

boulder wrote:
> When will cyclists learn that they have to adhere to
> the same rules of the road as other users?
> Andrew, Norwich

Rules like using mobiles and speed limits ?

Señor Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

> boulder wrote:
> > When will cyclists learn that they have to adhere to
> > the same rules of the road as other users?
> > Andrew, Norwich
> >

> Rules like using mobiles and speed limits ?

Well, I am frequently bewildered when I see people cycling on pavements
while using a mobile phone. I'm quite sure I wouldn't have the skills to
stop my bike without dropping the phone or myself.

Cheers,
Luke

exile in Lancashire <http://www.shrimper.org.uk>

In article <[email protected]>, boulder
[email protected] says...
> Just to level things up, heres the comments from the more representative x
> section on the beeb web site

Eh? Motorists have a duty of care not to run into people. A green
light says they may proceed if it is safe to do so. Running a red light
is not punishable by death. Speed limits are mandatory. Texting while
driving is illegal. What needs balancing up?

Rob Morley wrote:

> boulder [email protected] says...

>> Just to level things up, heres the comments from the more representative x
>> section on the beeb web site

> Eh? Motorists have a duty of care not to run into people.

<sigh>

Here we go again...

No, they *don't*.

They do have a duty to *try* not to run into people, but that's a
completely different kettle. Failing to avoid hitting something (or
being hit by something) does not automatically or necessarily involve
any breach of a duty of care.

> A green
> light says they may proceed if it is safe to do so.

What does a red light mean?

(Just out of interest.)

On 29 Feb, 19:21, Señor Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
> boulder wrote:
> > When will cyclists learn that they have to adhere to
> > the same rules of the road as other users?
> > Andrew, Norwich

> Rules like using mobiles and speed limits ?

Or stopping at red lights?

On 29 Feb, 20:23, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>, boulder
> [email protected] says...> Just to level things up, heres the comments from the more representative x
> > section on the beeb web site

> Eh?  Motorists have a duty of care not to run into people.  A green
> light says they may proceed if it is safe to do so.  Running a red light
> is not punishable by death.  Speed limits are mandatory.  Texting while
> driving is illegal.  What needs balancing up?

She's been made an example of and he's dead. They've both got what
they deserved.

Sir Jeremy wrote:
> On 29 Feb, 20:23, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
>> In article <[email protected]>, boulder
>> [email protected] says...> Just to level things up, heres the comments from the more representative x
>>> section on the beeb web site

>> Eh? Motorists have a duty of care not to run into people. A green
>> light says they may proceed if it is safe to do so. Running a red light
>> is not punishable by death. Speed limits are mandatory. Texting while
>> driving is illegal. What needs balancing up?

> She's been made an example of and he's dead. They've both got what
> they deserved.

Since when does running a red light deserve the death penalty ?

On 1 Mar, 01:01, Señor Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sir Jeremy wrote:
> > On 29 Feb, 20:23, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In article <[email protected]>, boulder
> >> [email protected] says...> Just to level things up, heres thecomments from the more representative x
> >> Eh?  Motorists have a duty of care not to run into people.  A green
> >> light says they may proceed if it is safe to do so.  Running a red light
> >> is not punishable by death.  Speed limits are mandatory.  Texting while
> >> driving is illegal.  What needs balancing up?

> > She's been made an example of and he's dead. They've both got what
> > they deserved.

> Since when does running a red light deserve the death penalty ?

Darwinism. Harsh, but true.

"Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
On 1 Mar, 01:01, Señor Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
> Sir Jeremy wrote:
> > On 29 Feb, 20:23, Rob Morley <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> In article <[email protected]>, boulder
> >> [email protected] says...> Just to level things up, heres the
> >> comments from the more representative x
> >> Eh? Motorists have a duty of care not to run into people. A green
> >> light says they may proceed if it is safe to do so. Running a red light
> >> is not punishable by death. Speed limits are mandatory. Texting while
> >> driving is illegal. What needs balancing up?

> > She's been made an example of and he's dead. They've both got what
> > they deserved.

> Since when does running a red light deserve the death penalty ?

Darwinism. Harsh, but true.

Well that is one way of looking at it. I guess the same applies to motorists
who run level crossings with the barriers down.

>> Since when does running a red light deserve the death penalty ?

> Darwinism. Harsh, but true.
>
> Well that is one way of looking at it. I guess the same applies to
> motorists who run level crossings with the barriers down.

thing is, you wouldn't see the world of motoring clamouring for the
train driver to be locked up for life...

boulder wrote:
>>> Since when does running a red light deserve the death penalty ?

>> Darwinism. Harsh, but true.
>>
>> Well that is one way of looking at it. I guess the same applies to
>> motorists who run level crossings with the barriers down.

> thing is, you wouldn't see the world of motoring clamouring for the
> train driver to be locked up for life...

Thing is, a train driver who was so much as one mile per hour over the
limit or using a mobile phone in the cab would be looking for a new job
Monday, whether or not he hit anything.

Ekul Namsob wrote:
> Señor Chris <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> boulder wrote:
>>> When will cyclists learn that they have to adhere to
>>> the same rules of the road as other users?
>>> Andrew, Norwich
>>>

>> Rules like using mobiles and speed limits ?

> Well, I am frequently bewildered when I see people cycling on pavements
> while using a mobile phone. I'm quite sure I wouldn't have the skills to
> stop my bike without dropping the phone or myself.

Generally squeezing the brake lever with the right hand does the trick.

HTH.

(Sorry, the attributions seem to be a little mangled here.)

Adam Lea <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Sir Jeremy" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> On 1 Mar, 01:01, Señor Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Since when does running a red light deserve the death penalty ?

> Darwinism. Harsh, but true.
>
> Well that is one way of looking at it. I guess the same applies to motorists
> who run level crossings with the barriers down.

TBH, I don't think I'd argue with you there. Sometimes, rules exist to
keep people alive.

Nick <[email protected]> wrote:

> Ekul Namsob wrote:
> > Señor Chris <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Rules like using mobiles and speed limits ?

> > Well, I am frequently bewildered when I see people cycling on pavements
> > while using a mobile phone. I'm quite sure I wouldn't have the skills to
> > stop my bike without dropping the phone or myself.
> >

> Generally squeezing the brake lever with the right hand does the trick.
>
> HTH.

I don't know whether being left-handed causes the problem here, but I
find that causes my handlebars to swerve. Having said that, I've not
tried in a long time. It's not likely that I'll ever need to, either, as
every mobile I've ever bought has come with a hands-free kit.

boulder <[email protected]> wrote:

> >> Since when does running a red light deserve the death penalty ?

> > Darwinism. Harsh, but true.
> >
> > Well that is one way of looking at it. I guess the same applies to
> > motorists who run level crossings with the barriers down.

> thing is, you wouldn't see the world of motoring clamouring for the
> train driver to be locked up for life...

Do you see the world of cycling, or even just the limited portion of
that world that inhabits ukrc, clamouring for this motorist to be locked
up for life?

Ekul Namsob wrote:
> Nick <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Ekul Namsob wrote:

>>> Well, I am frequently bewildered when I see people cycling on pavements
>>> while using a mobile phone. I'm quite sure I wouldn't have the skills to
>>> stop my bike without dropping the phone or myself.
>>>

>> Generally squeezing the brake lever with the right hand does the trick.
>>
>> HTH.

> I don't know whether being left-handed causes the problem here, but I
> find that causes my handlebars to swerve. Having said that, I've not
> tried in a long time. It's not likely that I'll ever need to, either, as
> every mobile I've ever bought has come with a hands-free kit.

How about signalling when approaching a turn downhill.

I must admit I tend not to brake and signal if I'm going fast or if it
is a right downhill turn. I always assumed the not signalling bit for a
right turn bit was due to it being the wrong brake (the back one) not
the wrong hand.

"Ekul Namsob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:1id5zmy.1ioof5c6vqt6N%[email protected]...

>> > Darwinism. Harsh, but true.
>> >
>> > Well that is one way of looking at it. I guess the same applies to
>> > motorists who run level crossings with the barriers down.

>> thing is, you wouldn't see the world of motoring clamouring for the
>> train driver to be locked up for life...

> Do you see the world of cycling, or even just the limited portion of
> that world that inhabits ukrc, clamouring for this motorist to be locked
> up for life?

read this group long enough, ie a day, and its fairly frequent.

I have mixed feelings tbh. I am a car driver, and a cyclist, often with my
young son, and whilst I find much
of the posting here quite useful, I really dont get the militant hardcore on
here, or what
makes them tick.
..

On Sun, 2 Mar 2008 09:34:29 -0000 someone who may be "boulder"
<[email protected]> wrote this:-

>> Do you see the world of cycling, or even just the limited portion of
>> that world that inhabits ukrc, clamouring for this motorist to be locked
>> up for life?

>read this group long enough, ie a day, and its fairly frequent.

Then you shouldn't have any trouble highlighting such a call being
made yesterday (Saturday).

--
David Hansen, Edinburgh

In article <[email protected]>, Nick
[email protected] says...

> I must admit I tend not to brake and signal if I'm going fast or if it
> is a right downhill turn. I always assumed the not signalling bit for a
> right turn bit was due to it being the wrong brake (the back one) not
> the wrong hand.

That's why some experienced cyclists swap the levers - using the front
brake is more important, and indicating right is more important, so it
makes sense to be able to do both at once. I've never tried it myself,
as I suspect I'd be dangerously confused by it - generally I find you
can signal your intention to turn right by pulling over to the RHS of
your lane if there's room/time, otherwise slow down to the point that
you can signal with your hand while using only the back brake.