40/30/30

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by anonymous, Mar 4, 2004.

  1. anonymous

    anonymous Guest

    where does the seemingly arbitrary 40/30/30 ratio for the zone diet come from

    Tags:

  2. Doug Freese

    Doug Freese Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > where does the seemingly arbitrary 40/30/30 ratio for the zone diet come from

    Barry Sears' Ouija board.

  3. Dally

    Dally Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > where does the seemingly arbitrary 40/30/30 ratio for the
    > zone diet come from

    It just works out that way for many people. Get enough
    protein, say .8g per pound for me (I'm a weight-lifter.) Get
    enough fat to feel sated, some of which comes along with the
    protein and some of which I add in the form of seed or nut
    oils. Leftover calories come from carbs that provide fiber
    and phytonutrients. Voila, it works out to roughly 30% of my
    calories from protein, 30% from healthy fats and the net is
    available for carbs.

    Because it's so easy to blow a calorie budget with simple
    carbs, in practice this means that I have to watch carbs
    carefully. It's not that my diet is LOW-CARB (I get between
    40-50% of my calories from carbs) but that they are the ones
    that need the most monitoring in my life.

    When I log my food choices at www.fitday.com I often
    find that my ratios vary around 33/33/33 by +/- 10%.
    Doesn't matter. I've found a way of eating that leaves
    me feeling sated, with enough energy and doesn't blow my
    calorie budget. I've lost over 60 pounds of lard since I
    figured this out.

    Dally
    244/180/170

  4. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    > where does the seemingly arbitrary 40/30/30 ratio for the
    > zone diet come from

    Good question.

    Here is another one: Where does the 30/10/60 ratio of the
    food guide come from?

    TC

  5. [email protected] [email protected] [email protected] Once
    upon a time, our fellow tcomeau rambled on about "Re:
    40/30/30." Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition
    retorts, thusly ...

    >Where does the 30/10/60 ratio of the food guide come from?

    The digits: 0123456789.

    Just thought that you might want to know. :)

  6. Moosh:)

    Moosh:) Guest

    On 10 Mar 2004 09:58:54 -0800, [email protected] (tcomeau) posted:

    >[email protected] wrote in message
    >news:<[email protected]>...
    >> where does the seemingly arbitrary 40/30/30 ratio for the
    >> zone diet come from
    >
    >Good question.
    >
    >Here is another one: Where does the 30/10/60 ratio of the
    >food guide come from?
    >
    >TC

    Ummm, your imagination? Certainly not from any food guide
    I've ever seen, except the crap you write here. Only
    obsessed weight lifters would consume 60% protein, surely.

  7. Tim Tyler

    Tim Tyler Guest

    "Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
    > On 10 Mar 2004 09:58:54 -0800, [email protected]
    > (tcomeau) posted:
    > >[email protected] wrote in message news:<06ae2dd3-
    > >[email protected]>...

    > >> where does the seemingly arbitrary 40/30/30 ratio for
    > >> the zone diet come from
    > >
    > >Good question.
    > >
    > >Here is another one: Where does the 30/10/60 ratio of the
    > >food guide come from?
    >
    > Ummm, your imagination? Certainly not from any food guide
    > I've ever seen, except the crap you write here. Only
    > obsessed weight lifters would consume 60% protein, surely.

    30F-10P-60C is often seen as a conventional healthy diet.
    --
    __________
    |im |yler http://timtyler.org/ [email protected] Remove
    lock to reply.

  8. Once upon a time, our fellow Tim Tyler rambled on about "Re:
    40/30/30." Our champion De-Medicalizing in sci.med.nutrition
    retorts, thusly ...

    >> Ummm, your imagination? Certainly not from any food guide
    >> I've ever seen, except the crap you write here. Only
    >> obsessed weight lifters would consume 60% protein,
    >> surely.

    >30F-10P-60C is often seen as a conventional healthy diet.

    Actually, it is 30F-15P-55C for the person of normal weight.
    And, 35F-15P-50C for the obese sugar sensitive types.

    Just thought that you might want to know. :)

    Hark! My private health newsgroup beckons!
    --
    John Gohde,
    Achieving good Nutrition is an Art, NOT a Science!

    The nutrition of eating a healthy diet is the foundation of the
    biopsychosocial model of natural health. Weighing in at 17 webpages,
    Nutrition (http://www.Food.NaturalHealthPerspective.com/) is now
    with more documentation and sharper terminology than ever before.

  9. Moosh:)

    Moosh:) Guest

    On Wed, 31 Mar 2004 09:06:14 GMT, Tim Tyler <[email protected]> posted:

    >"Moosh:)" <[email protected]> wrote or quoted:
    >> On 10 Mar 2004 09:58:54 -0800, [email protected]
    >> (tcomeau) posted:
    >> >[email protected] wrote in message news:<06ae2dd-
    >> >[email protected]>...

    >> >Good question.
    >> >
    >> >Here is another one: Where does the 30/10/60 ratio of
    >> >the food guide come from?
    >>
    >> Ummm, your imagination? Certainly not from any food guide
    >> I've ever seen, except the crap you write here. Only
    >> obsessed weight lifters would consume 60% protein,
    >> surely.
    >
    >30F-10P-60C is often seen as a conventional healthy diet.

    So long as your activity is high enough to allow a
    eucaloric diet of this ratio to supply sufficient protein,
    nothing wrong with this at all. BTW, I think the convention
    is C:F:p isn't it?

    You could reduce that useless fat intake to 29% and the
    protein can be raised to 20% and this is fine for lesser
    energy needs still getting an adequate protein intake.