40 day and 40 nights

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by zipp2001, Sep 2, 2018.

1. zipp2001

zipp2001 Well-Known Member

Can't believe it's been that long since I last took this old girl out for a ride. I had a small window after service today so I figured let's dust off the zipp TT bike and roll out a quick 25 miles. The old girl never disappoints this old guy. I guess we were made for each other, besides she has over 109,000 miles on her. She was my everyday bike for almost 10 years, now she's semi retired.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kh5rt78Mr34

Tags:
    CAMPYBOB likes this.

2. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

You cannot stop riding for that amount of time. It will take you four times as long to get back to the shape you were in before you took your leave of absence.

zipp2001 likes this.
  3. zipp2001

I haven't been off my bikes I'm still riding 6 days a week weather permitting, just been mainly in the woods. The road bike has seen some action but out of 23 rides in August I was riding the trails in the woods 19 days.

4. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

Well, for the most part you build strength with effort so off-road riding helps you to maintain your power. But you do have to do endurance rides as well or you end up climbing a hill fast and dying at the top. You have to coast down the other side and then you end up riding slowly back home.

Right now I'm having trouble with recovery because I don't hydrate enough and I don't get enough sleep. I'm working on it.

With luck I'll get back to the level where I can let the fast guys get a quarter mile start on a climb and run them down before the top. I'm also working on a continuous spin without stopping every 10 strokes or so. That limits me to a steady 17 or 18 mph and I want to get back up to 20 mph for a metric century. I've got a brother that's 15 years younger than me and I want to make him suffer.

zipp2001 likes this.
  5. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

Nice video, Zipp! That thing is still a rocketship!

zipp2001 likes this.
  6. zipp2001

Never have much of a problem carrying my speed over the climbs, and will never coast down a hill. I did all the work to get over it I sure am going to reward myself going down am hammer as much as I can. I still work on endurance even with the trail bike by going out for plus hour rides once a week.

7. zipp2001

You just can't get on this machine and go out for a nice relaxing recovery ride. It was made to fly and when I can't fly with it then it's time to give it a new pilot.

CAMPYBOB likes this.
  8. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

When the engine room is responding to commands from the bridge and the wind and road conditions are right I can only imagine the speed you can generate with a flat back and head tucked low.

zipp2001 likes this.