40 days- Montana to Florida

sammuel1989

Apr 14, 2011
On august 6Th my brother and I loaded up our 1970's (I rode a Team Fugi, him a PaAot) road bikes and set out from Bozeman MT to see how far we could get traveling strictly on just peddle power, after 40 days, 1 hurricane, 47 flat tires, 118 degree temperatures, numb hands, 92 miles a day average, 2 completely destroyed derailleurs (that turned our bikes into single speeds for more than 1400 miles), and 3102 miles we arrived safely to the southern most point of the Continental United states in key West Florida. We had no set map, no time limit, and as little money as possible, It was awesome!!! enjoy our recap video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-WJhcP09bI

That averages to 77.55 miles a day. Gee, you went far. If I did that I would use my best commuter bikes, either my 2007 Trek 2.1 SPA with ceramic bearing Ksyrium SL wheels or my 2011 Trek Madone 3.1 with Campy Scirocco wheels.

Did you mostly eat Pop tarts along the way? Ever stop by for fast food? How much weight did you lose biking this far? Did you bring toilet paper to **** on the side of the road? How did you have enough water during the ride?

How did you get back to home after you reached FL?

It's very amazing you did this on 1970's road bikes... Did they have aluminum wheels? If you had steel wheels and only 10 speeds then that's really hard. How many speeds did your bikes have?

JTE83 said:
That averages to 77.55 miles a day.  Gee, you went far.  If I did that I would use my best commuter bikes, either my 2007 Trek 2.1 SPA with ceramic bearing Ksyrium SL wheels or my 2011 Trek Madone 3.1 with Campy Scirocco wheels. Did you mostly eat Pop tarts along the way?  Ever stop by for fast food?  How much weight did you lose biking this far?  Did you bring toilet paper to **** on the side of the road?  How did you have enough water during the ride?  How did you get back to home after you reached FL? It's very amazing you did this on 1970's road bikes... Did they have aluminum wheels?  If you had steel wheels and only 10 speeds then that's really hard.  How many speeds did your bikes have?
It's odd that so many people in the 60's, 70's, and 80's were able to make similar or longer journeys..........on perfectly good bikes, just like the OP did. It's amazing that you can almost never post without mentioning our bikes. Ego fail. To the OP: nice ride and nice video.

OP,if you live to be 100...THIS will be one of the best memories of your life!

Thanks for the video!

sorry JTE83 I should have explained, the 92 mile average is creditable because we got caught caught up for 3 days in Mississippi because of hurricane Issac and again for 3 days in various storms in Florida, so it came out to 34 days of actual riding. Everything we rode was steel and both bikes were 10 speeds. however in Kansas my derailleur broke, forcing me to ride 1700 miles as a single speed. We ate a lot of fast food, and yes pop tarts too ha ha, and crapped on the side of the road. We tried to have at least 150 ounces of water on us at all times and it was really easy to maintain.

This is my bike on the second to last day, it held up like a champ!! I still use it as my transport around town

Attachments

• SAM_1567.JPG
    SAM_1567.JPG
    521.1 KB · Views: 8
Originally Posted by alienator .

It's odd that so many people in the 60's, 70's, and 80's were able to make similar or longer journeys..........on perfectly good bikes, just like the OP did. It's amazing that you can almost never post without mentioning our bikes. Ego fail.
To the OP: nice ride and nice video.
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/biggrin.gif

Indeed.

Don't ye know that bikes from the 60's/70's/80's could only travel so far?

Kyrie eleison.

Originally Posted by sammuel1989 .

On august 6Th my brother and I loaded up our 1970's (I rode a Team Fugi, him a PaAot) road bikes and set out from Bozeman MT to see how far we could get traveling strictly on just peddle power, after 40 days, 1 hurricane, 47 flat tires, 118 degree temperatures, numb hands, 92 miles a day average, 2 completely destroyed derailleurs (that turned our bikes into single speeds for more than 1400 miles), and 3102 miles we arrived safely to the southern most point of the Continental United states in key West Florida. We had no set map, no time limit, and as little money as possible, It was awesome!!! enjoy our recap video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-WJhcP09bI
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/icon14.gif

Well done and thanks for posting this.