40 degree rise road stem?

andy

Guest
Is there such a thing as a 40-45 degree rise threadless road stem? Have 26.0
bars that are a must due to drop and reach but need to get alot of rise out
of the stem. On another note, is there any issue w/ stacking 20, 30, 40mm of
risers on an alloy steerer, besides how dorky it looks?
I have heard that it is OK to use a mtn stem, 25.4 w/ a 26.0 bar but can't
get a definative answer. Mtb stems of this rise seem more common. Thanx in
advance.
andy

andy wrote:
> Is there such a thing as a 40-45 degree rise threadless road stem?
> Have 26.0 bars that are a must due to drop and reach but need to get
> alot of rise out of the stem. On another note, is there any issue w/
> stacking 20, 30, 40mm of risers on an alloy steerer, besides how
> dorky it looks?
> I have heard that it is OK to use a mtn stem, 25.4 w/ a 26.0 bar but
> can't get a definative answer. Mtb stems of this rise seem more
> common. Thanx in advance.
> andy

The Profile Design Boa should get you what you need:
http://www.profile-design.com/product_pages/mtb_boa.html

Having 1~2" of spacers on an alloy stem shouldn't be a problem.

On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:59:08 -0700, "andy" <trifox13atcovaddotnet>
wrote:

>Is there such a thing as a 40-45 degree rise threadless road stem? Have 26.0
>bars that are a must due to drop and reach but need to get alot of rise out
>of the stem. On another note, is there any issue w/ stacking 20, 30, 40mm of
>risers on an alloy steerer, besides how dorky it looks?
>I have heard that it is OK to use a mtn stem, 25.4 w/ a 26.0 bar but can't
>get a definative answer. Mtb stems of this rise seem more common. Thanx in
>advance.
>andy

Treks come with 40mm of spacers on an alloy steerer tube.

andy-<< I have heard that it is OK to use a mtn stem, 25.4 w/ a 26.0 bar but
can't
get a definative answer. >><BR><BR>

here's a difinitive answer, don't do it. You risk breaking one of the faceplate
bolts and that will really hurt. If you get a 25.4 stem, get a 25.4 road
handlebar, easy to find.

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

andy wrote:

> Is there such a thing as a 40-45 degree rise threadless road stem? Have 26.0
> bars that are a must due to drop and reach but need to get alot of rise out
> of the stem. On another note, is there any issue w/ stacking 20, 30, 40mm of
> risers on an alloy steerer, besides how dorky it looks?
> I have heard that it is OK to use a mtn stem, 25.4 w/ a 26.0 bar but can't
> get a definative answer. Mtb stems of this rise seem more common. Thanx in
> advance.

Generally, any faceplate type stem will accept either bar
safely. I haven't seen one that wouldn't.

There are lots of hi-rise AH stems now:
http://www.yellowjersey.org/21stcen.html

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Booker writes-<<
iQCVAwUBQZI7c2TWTAjn5N/lAQGfVwP+P3TrkgPjr6AMUZ3ia9Un5f9spBSEDjxP
GBUYsii/w++hT/qh7RuqU4QsEesyzp5RS0wF6srclB3GoGQ4qpwrS0gv2jjY6pGL
r/2JnOAqXGxF+N1rZO+ZkTM2e9wc6iGO7lANeBnlhDzgJP4MFQszVmPSE4Gs4FA9
WgMhIYJa9lg= >><BR><BR>

Easy for you to say. And people slam me for using AOL.....

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
>Booker writes-<<
>iQCVAwUBQZI7c2TWTAjn5N/lAQGfVwP+P3TrkgPjr6AMUZ3ia9Un5f9spBSEDjxP
>GBUYsii/w++hT/qh7RuqU4QsEesyzp5RS0wF6srclB3GoGQ4qpwrS0gv2jjY6pGL
>r/2JnOAqXGxF+N1rZO+ZkTM2e9wc6iGO7lANeBnlhDzgJP4MFQszVmPSE4Gs4FA9
>WgMhIYJa9lg= >><BR><BR>
>Easy for you to say. And people slam me for using AOL.....

No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your complete
unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you exhibit when you
criticise the quoting style of others.

i use a dimension brand stem that comes in 40 degree rise. best price is a airbomb.com. btw, don't use a 25.4 stem with a 26 bar. you're just asking for the aluminum clamp cap to break (and it will when it's the worst possible moment).

good luck
bob

David-<< No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your complete
unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you exhibit when you
criticise the quoting style of others. >><BR><BR>

First it's YOU, not 'we', unless your name is 'Eve'.

And other than changing from AOL, how do I fix it Mr. Wizard??

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

OBTW David, why don't you search around and find a sense of humor. I know is
dark and dreary in the UK but try to find a ray of sunshine somewhere..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> David-<< No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your
> complete unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you
> exhibit when you criticise the quoting style of others. >><BR><BR>
>
> First it's YOU, not 'we', unless your name is 'Eve'.
>
> And other than changing from AOL, how do I fix it Mr. Wizard??

Peter, your posting/quoting style doesn't really bother me (especially since
your content is so uselful and helpful), so please don't take this as
criticism. If EVERYONE who uses AOL had the same strange quotation mark
thingies that you do, then you'd have a valid point. The fact that many
AOHellers post "normally" proves that the "problem" lies in your settings
and not (just) AOL.

Probably an easy "fix", but only if you think anything's "broken". (Rainy
day project, perhaps?)

It's not like you're a busy guy or anything, right? :)
--
BS (no, really)

Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
>David-<< No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your complete
>unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you exhibit when you
>criticise the quoting style of others. >><BR><BR>
>First it's YOU, not 'we', unless your name is 'Eve'.

I am hardly the only person who has complained.

>And other than changing from AOL, how do I fix it Mr. Wizard??

How the devil should I know? I've never used AOL in my life. Why don't you
ask one of the tens of thousands of AOLers with sensible quoting?

B i l l S o r n s o n <[email protected]> wrote:
>Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
>>David-<< No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your
>>complete unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you
>>exhibit when you criticise the quoting style of others. >><BR><BR>
>>First it's YOU, not 'we', unless your name is 'Eve'.
>>And other than changing from AOL, how do I fix it Mr. Wizard??

>Peter, your posting/quoting style doesn't really bother me (especially since
>your content is so uselful and helpful),

It's _because_ of that - and the hypocrisy - that it bothers me. "jim
beam" has atrocious quoting, but I don't care because he's a lunatic with
an axe to grind. I might actually _want_ to read Peter's articles.

Qui si parla Campagnolo said:
[snip]

And other than changing from AOL, how do I fix it Mr. Wizard??

Peter Chisholm

Dear Peter,

AOL will work fine.

The fix is to change your AOL mail settings:

"If you use AOL, please change your mail settings to
use Internet Style Quoting and NOT AOL style quoting.
You can change this setting in AOL 4.0 by going to
My AOL / Preferences / Mail and check marking on the
"Use Internet Style Quoting" near the bottom of the
window. Then click Ok."

http://innglory.org/discussions.htm

This site even shows pictures of the screens where
you change the mail setting:

http://www.cayucos.org/computerclub/aolemail.html

If your AOL version is so old that it fails to offer this
option, then the fix is to upgrade to a newer version.

You can pick up a free AOL CD at almost any computer
outlet. They also come in magazines. You can even
request one from AOL online through your current
version.

Newer versions of AOL will work fine with a phone modem
connection.

Don Herbert

Sorni-<< had the same strange quotation mark
thingies that you do, then you'd have a valid point. The fact that many
AOHellers post "normally" proves that the "problem" lies in your settings
and not (just) AOL. >><BR><BR>

okay, tell this non computer nerd what settings, where, how do I change them,
etc..

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl St.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

On 12 Nov 2004 19:30:14 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
Campagnolo ) wrote:

[snip]

>okay, tell this non computer nerd what settings, where, how do I change them,
>etc..
>
>Peter Chisholm

Dear Peter,

[...]

Computer Nerd

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Eaw*[email protected]>...
> Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Booker writes-<<
> >iQCVAwUBQZI7c2TWTAjn5N/lAQGfVwP+P3TrkgPjr6AMUZ3ia9Un5f9spBSEDjxP
> >GBUYsii/w++hT/qh7RuqU4QsEesyzp5RS0wF6srclB3GoGQ4qpwrS0gv2jjY6pGL
> >r/2JnOAqXGxF+N1rZO+ZkTM2e9wc6iGO7lANeBnlhDzgJP4MFQszVmPSE4Gs4FA9
> >WgMhIYJa9lg= >><BR><BR>
> >Easy for you to say. And people slam me for using AOL.....

> No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your complete
> unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you exhibit when you
> criticise the quoting style of others.

And his EXECRABLE typing skills too (wink, wink). Oh, the tangled web
we boil when the kettle is on the other foot.

App

[guys

you're killing me with this quoting ********. go find another forum to **** on each other. the poster asked about stems, not aol quoting

later