40 degree rise road stem?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by andy, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. andy

    andy Guest

    Is there such a thing as a 40-45 degree rise threadless road stem? Have 26.0
    bars that are a must due to drop and reach but need to get alot of rise out
    of the stem. On another note, is there any issue w/ stacking 20, 30, 40mm of
    risers on an alloy steerer, besides how dorky it looks?
    I have heard that it is OK to use a mtn stem, 25.4 w/ a 26.0 bar but can't
    get a definative answer. Mtb stems of this rise seem more common. Thanx in
    advance.
    andy

    Tags:

  2. andy wrote:
    > Is there such a thing as a 40-45 degree rise threadless road stem?
    > Have 26.0 bars that are a must due to drop and reach but need to get
    > alot of rise out of the stem. On another note, is there any issue w/
    > stacking 20, 30, 40mm of risers on an alloy steerer, besides how
    > dorky it looks?
    > I have heard that it is OK to use a mtn stem, 25.4 w/ a 26.0 bar but
    > can't get a definative answer. Mtb stems of this rise seem more
    > common. Thanx in advance.
    > andy

    The Profile Design Boa should get you what you need:
    http://www.profile-design.com/product_pages/mtb_boa.html

    Having 1~2" of spacers on an alloy stem shouldn't be a problem.

  3. dianne_1234

    dianne_1234 Guest

    On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 17:59:08 -0700, "andy" <trifox13atcovaddotnet>
    wrote:

    >Is there such a thing as a 40-45 degree rise threadless road stem? Have 26.0
    >bars that are a must due to drop and reach but need to get alot of rise out
    >of the stem. On another note, is there any issue w/ stacking 20, 30, 40mm of
    >risers on an alloy steerer, besides how dorky it looks?
    >I have heard that it is OK to use a mtn stem, 25.4 w/ a 26.0 bar but can't
    >get a definative answer. Mtb stems of this rise seem more common. Thanx in
    >advance.
    >andy

    Treks come with 40mm of spacers on an alloy steerer tube.

  4. andy-<< I have heard that it is OK to use a mtn stem, 25.4 w/ a 26.0 bar but
    can't
    get a definative answer. >><BR><BR>

    here's a difinitive answer, don't do it. You risk breaking one of the faceplate
    bolts and that will really hurt. If you get a 25.4 stem, get a 25.4 road
    handlebar, easy to find.

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  6. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

    andy wrote:

    > Is there such a thing as a 40-45 degree rise threadless road stem? Have 26.0
    > bars that are a must due to drop and reach but need to get alot of rise out
    > of the stem. On another note, is there any issue w/ stacking 20, 30, 40mm of
    > risers on an alloy steerer, besides how dorky it looks?
    > I have heard that it is OK to use a mtn stem, 25.4 w/ a 26.0 bar but can't
    > get a definative answer. Mtb stems of this rise seem more common. Thanx in
    > advance.

    Generally, any faceplate type stem will accept either bar
    safely. I haven't seen one that wouldn't.

    There are lots of hi-rise AH stems now:
    http://www.yellowjersey.org/21stcen.html

    --
    Andrew Muzi
    www.yellowjersey.org

  7. Booker writes-<<
    iQCVAwUBQZI7c2TWTAjn5N/lAQGfVwP+P3TrkgPjr6AMUZ3ia9Un5f9spBSEDjxP
    GBUYsii/w++hT/qh7RuqU4QsEesyzp5RS0wF6srclB3GoGQ4qpwrS0gv2jjY6pGL
    r/2JnOAqXGxF+N1rZO+ZkTM2e9wc6iGO7lANeBnlhDzgJP4MFQszVmPSE4Gs4FA9
    WgMhIYJa9lg= >><BR><BR>

    Easy for you to say. And people slam me for using AOL.....

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  8. Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Booker writes-<<
    >iQCVAwUBQZI7c2TWTAjn5N/lAQGfVwP+P3TrkgPjr6AMUZ3ia9Un5f9spBSEDjxP
    >GBUYsii/w++hT/qh7RuqU4QsEesyzp5RS0wF6srclB3GoGQ4qpwrS0gv2jjY6pGL
    >r/2JnOAqXGxF+N1rZO+ZkTM2e9wc6iGO7lANeBnlhDzgJP4MFQszVmPSE4Gs4FA9
    >WgMhIYJa9lg= >><BR><BR>
    >Easy for you to say. And people slam me for using AOL.....

    No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your complete
    unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you exhibit when you
    criticise the quoting style of others.

  9. RBS

    RBS New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2003
    i use a dimension brand stem that comes in 40 degree rise. best price is a airbomb.com. btw, don't use a 25.4 stem with a 26 bar. you're just asking for the aluminum clamp cap to break (and it will when it's the worst possible moment).

    good luck
    bob

  10. David-<< No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your complete
    unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you exhibit when you
    criticise the quoting style of others. >><BR><BR>

    First it's YOU, not 'we', unless your name is 'Eve'.

    And other than changing from AOL, how do I fix it Mr. Wizard??

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  11. OBTW David, why don't you search around and find a sense of humor. I know is
    dark and dreary in the UK but try to find a ray of sunshine somewhere..

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  12. Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > David-<< No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your
    > complete unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you
    > exhibit when you criticise the quoting style of others. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > First it's YOU, not 'we', unless your name is 'Eve'.
    >
    > And other than changing from AOL, how do I fix it Mr. Wizard??

    Peter, your posting/quoting style doesn't really bother me (especially since
    your content is so uselful and helpful), so please don't take this as
    criticism. If EVERYONE who uses AOL had the same strange quotation mark
    thingies that you do, then you'd have a valid point. The fact that many
    AOHellers post "normally" proves that the "problem" lies in your settings
    and not (just) AOL.

    Probably an easy "fix", but only if you think anything's "broken". (Rainy
    day project, perhaps?)

    It's not like you're a busy guy or anything, right? :)
    --
    BS (no, really)

  13. Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
    >David-<< No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your complete
    >unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you exhibit when you
    >criticise the quoting style of others. >><BR><BR>
    >First it's YOU, not 'we', unless your name is 'Eve'.

    I am hardly the only person who has complained.

    >And other than changing from AOL, how do I fix it Mr. Wizard??

    How the devil should I know? I've never used AOL in my life. Why don't you
    ask one of the tens of thousands of AOLers with sensible quoting?

  14. B i l l S o r n s o n <[email protected]> wrote:
    >Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:
    >>David-<< No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your
    >>complete unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you
    >>exhibit when you criticise the quoting style of others. >><BR><BR>
    >>First it's YOU, not 'we', unless your name is 'Eve'.
    >>And other than changing from AOL, how do I fix it Mr. Wizard??

    >Peter, your posting/quoting style doesn't really bother me (especially since
    >your content is so uselful and helpful),

    It's _because_ of that - and the hypocrisy - that it bothers me. "jim
    beam" has atrocious quoting, but I don't care because he's a lunatic with
    an axe to grind. I might actually _want_ to read Peter's articles.

  15. carlfogel

    carlfogel New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 24, 2003

  16. Sorni-<< had the same strange quotation mark
    thingies that you do, then you'd have a valid point. The fact that many
    AOHellers post "normally" proves that the "problem" lies in your settings
    and not (just) AOL. >><BR><BR>

    okay, tell this non computer nerd what settings, where, how do I change them,
    etc..

    Peter Chisholm
    Vecchio's Bicicletteria
    1833 Pearl St.
    Boulder, CO, 80302
    (303)440-3535
    http://www.vecchios.com

  17. On 12 Nov 2004 19:30:14 GMT, [email protected] (Qui si parla
    Campagnolo ) wrote:

    [snip]

    >okay, tell this non computer nerd what settings, where, how do I change them,
    >etc..
    >
    >Peter Chisholm

    Dear Peter,

    The fix is to change your AOL mail settings:

    "If you use AOL, please change your mail settings to
    use Internet Style Quoting and NOT AOL style quoting.
    You can change this setting in AOL 4.0 by going to
    My AOL / Preferences / Mail and check marking on the
    "Use Internet Style Quoting" near the bottom of the
    window. Then click Ok."

    http://innglory.org/discussions.htm

    This site even shows pictures of the screens where
    you change the mail setting:

    http://www.cayucos.org/computerclub/aolemail.html

    If your AOL version is so old that it fails to offer this
    option, then the fix is to upgrade to a newer version.

    You can pick up a free AOL CD at almost any computer
    outlet. They also come in magazines. You can even
    request one from AOL online through your current
    version.

    Newer versions of AOL will work fine with a phone modem
    connection.

    Computer Nerd

  18. Appkiller

    Appkiller Guest

    David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<Eaw*[email protected]>...
    > Qui si parla Campagnolo <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >Booker writes-<<
    > >iQCVAwUBQZI7c2TWTAjn5N/lAQGfVwP+P3TrkgPjr6AMUZ3ia9Un5f9spBSEDjxP
    > >GBUYsii/w++hT/qh7RuqU4QsEesyzp5RS0wF6srclB3GoGQ4qpwrS0gv2jjY6pGL
    > >r/2JnOAqXGxF+N1rZO+ZkTM2e9wc6iGO7lANeBnlhDzgJP4MFQszVmPSE4Gs4FA9
    > >WgMhIYJa9lg= >><BR><BR>
    > >Easy for you to say. And people slam me for using AOL.....

    > No, we slam you for your excreable quoting style and your complete
    > unwillingness to fix it, combined with the hypocrisy you exhibit when you
    > criticise the quoting style of others.

    And his EXECRABLE typing skills too (wink, wink). Oh, the tangled web
    we boil when the kettle is on the other foot.

    App

  19. RBS

    RBS New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 7, 2003
    [guys

    you're killing me with this quoting bullshit. go find another forum to piss on each other. the poster asked about stems, not aol quoting

    later

  20. RBS wrote:
    > [guys
    >
    > you're killing me with this quoting bullshit. go find another forum
    > to piss on each other. the poster asked about stems, not aol quoting
    >
    > later

    Ironic much?
    --
    BS (no, really)