40 Hour Famine May 16-18

Winona Austin

Guest
Hi everyone

Did you know that in 40 hours Australians spend.......?

a.. More than $4.1 million on chocolate confectionery
b.. More than $3.2 million on CDs and records
c.. Almost $9.8 million on hygiene products, haircare and cosmetics
d.. More than $3.7 million just to pay the intereston credit card debts More alarmingly in 40
hours Australians purchase 7 million fast food meals, coming in at a staggering $31.8 million.

By giving up some of these luxuries for 40 hours, you can make a huge difference to the lives of
those less fortunate.

The World Vision 40 Hour Famine is on again from 8pm Friday 16 May to noon Sunday 18 May. World
Vision is urging Australians to take part as a team this year, whether it's with your friends,
school or uni mates or fellow members of your sporting or cultural club.

40 hours without sufficient food or drink seems almost impossible for us but this is a brutal
reality of everyday life for the 11 million people in Ethiopia facing starvation.

This year World Vision's target is $5 million, a target that is achievable when we consider the
above figures.

Since the introduction of the 40 Hour Famine in 1975, more than 400,000 Australians have joined the
fight against famine by helping to raise more than $132 million to assist the people of Ethiopia.

To find out more about how you (and your team) can make a difference visit www.40hourfamine.com or
call World Vision on 13 32 40.

Three duplicate mesages..Considered as SPAM also... Take you own advise ****** !!!!

news:[email protected]...

Winona Austin wrote:

> 40 hours without sufficient food or drink seems almost impossible for us but this is a brutal
> reality of everyday life for the 11 million people in Ethiopia facing starvation.
>
> This year World Vision's target is $5 million, a target that is achievable when we consider the
> above figures.

> Since the introduction of the 40 Hour Famine in 1975, more than 400,000 Australians have joined
> the fight against famine by helping to raise more than $132 million to assist the people of
> Ethiopia.

It's nice that they're raising money for people in Ethiopia, but how about those

in Australia who are living on the streets or in poverty? I'm not denying the Ethiopians are in dire
need of assistance, and World Vision do a great job, but I do believe charity begins at home.

There are tens of thousands of people living on the streets in Australia every night - underclothed,
underfed, but not understood. Most people don't even realise we have a homeless problem, and besides
- african kids make much better photo opportunities.

If anyone in the community would like to help those who are going without, I'd like to ask you to
contact your local Mission Australia office, and offer whatever assistance you can. A few dollars,
some old toys, old blankets & clothing, tinned food - whatever. If Mission Australia isn't your
thing, then the Salvation Army, the Red Cross, St Vincent de Paul - whatever floats your boat - but
please, think of those outdoors this winter.

Cheers, Andrew :eek:) (and yes, doing as I preach - making a donation today)