40 Yr Old Virgin is a bike riding loser...

I haven't seen a positive movie about or that involves bike riding or racing in about 20 years. I don't know what Hollywood is waiting for but we are really over due for one.

If you're an adult in the USA and you ride a bicycle, you're perceived as a freak by about 80%-90% of the adult population. I realized this and came to terms with it a long time ago.

MountainPro said:
Holy ****!

i stand corrected.
Don't forget the helmet ad (Limar I believe) that keeps popping up in CycleSport, with the nude woman painting the helmet on canvas.

meehs said:
If you're an adult in the USA and you ride a bicycle, you're perceived as a freak by about 80%-90% of the adult population. I realized this and came to terms with it a long time ago.
-clinks beer and passes peanut butter sandwitch to meehs :cool:-

I hear you ... I hear you.

MountainPro said:
..after all you cant pick up chicks on fast road bikes....carbon frame or no.
MP - Time you did the tandem conversion on that overgrown BMX'er you ride. Take a roll down Glebe Street and see if Daphne Broon wants to come out to see your machine.
PS - How was the SMSO expedition? Any sightings?

dgregory57 said:
This is exactly why I limited my observations to US. A country where if it weren't an American favored to win Le Tour de France, most people wouldn't have known it existed this year.

Even at that, the only substantial coverage of the race was on a fairly obscure cable channel... And as far as I can tell, that channel ignores the rest of the races during the season. I heard more about the Giro during the coverage of the Tour than when it was being raced.

I assumed that in other countries where cycling is more prominent, my observations here would be different than others would see in their areas.

I actually think that it is not even every area of the US, but I think a mentality that sees cycling in a positive light is fairly limited geographically. I think the image where I lived in California was far more positive than in Pennsylvania where I now live... But it still did not have the positive image I would expect to find in other areas of the world... Almost ANY other area of the world.
here in japan, pretty much everyone rides bikes: heavy girl's bikes. mountain bikes are ridden mainly by little kids. serious(?) cycling ( by which i mean anyone serious enough about it to use a helmet) is mainly the reserve of trendy geeks.

as far as tv coverage goes, it's just as poor here. tdf was about 3 hour coverage, close to being real time. you could tune in the french or the japanese commentators. Giro was 2 hours daily, japanese only. the vuelta is actually being aired right now, only about the last hour or so of each day. i've been avoiding the grand tour section of the forum so as not to spoil the suspense.

that movie hasn't made its way here, so i can't make any informed comments, other than to say that there are plenty of geeks, losers, posers, spewers, etc. in any sport. in the realm of climbing, i'd say an easy 1 out of 10 sport climbers fall into that category. reality has little to do with public perception.

philso said:
...as far as tv coverage goes, it's just as poor here...
Philso - Do they show any Keirin racing over there? I would have thought, with the gambling aspect, it would be popular viewing in Japan.

EoinC said:
MP - Time you did the tandem conversion on that overgrown BMX'er you ride. Take a roll down Glebe Street and see if Daphne Broon wants to come out to see your machine.
PS - How was the SMSO expedition? Any sightings?
Eoin, i think it only fair to warn you that no one befouls my bike by calling it a BMX and lives to tell the tale.

The SMSO are all gone, some American multinational mining company has set up a titanuim mine on thier only known mating ground right in the middle of the Kara Kara groves...

still though, as long as someone profits and i havent been duped, i am happy.

dgregory57 said:
Have you considered that grown men (women too, but I usually see men) riding around wearing their super-hero outfits and riding a toy that is used by their hero is a positive image to most of the public? Heck, I'm a budding cyclist and I think some are juvenile. I know you aren't necessarily talking about a team kit (which is the portion I see as somewhat juvenile), but when people outside the sport sees anything cycling specific (like spandex shorts or a jersey), I strongly suspect that it is seen in the same way. They have no way to differentiate between the two, nor do they care to learn.
I get mostly positive input from strangers, especially women ... although this may have less to do the spandex and more to do with the perfectly toned body it's stretched over. :p

The sooner one stops worrying about what other people think the better!

huhenio said:
-clinks beer and passes peanut butter sandwitch to meehs :cool:-

I hear you ... I hear you.

Ahh... Beer and peanut butter sandwiches! Thank you sir.

MountainPro said:
...The SMSO are all gone, some American multinational mining company has set up a titanuim mine on thier only known mating ground right in the middle of the Kara Kara groves...
Shame about the SMSO's - still, they were about buggered anyway. That oyster / peanut cocktail was doing their collective heads in. Anyway, without titanium, we wouldn't have white paint, or titanium-framed BMX'ers. Particularly hard hit would be the white-painted BMX frame market. Progress is always good, even when it's bad.
Good to see you made it back, MP. My recollection of those Beagle jaunts is that it can be a long haul between drinking houses. Alright in my youth, but nowadays I don't like to be out of canon shot of a purveyor of intoxicating liquors.

I finally saw this movie and absolutely loved every scene, especially the ones with the bike!

I mean, the woman bought him a bike, (a Trek mind you, lol). Ah, so good.

Yes, they kind of poked fun at him, but when he went to defend himself, he said he loved riding his bike etc etc.

If people want to judge on that, their loss.

Anyways, every scene with the bike = awesome.

i went to see 40yov in the theatres when it was first released last summer. and i rode there on my bike. by myself. on a friday night.

the theatre was full of college kids, and they had a good snicker as we all walked out of the theatre and i got on my bike and fired up my various lights and pedaled home.

it didnt bother me though. cant say i really give a **** what a bunch of college kids think of my transportation choices

it'd be nice to see more bike commuting in pop culture (jason bateman in Arrested Development was a more or less positive portray of bike commuters), but at the end of the day, i can laugh at myself, and at the climax of 40yov, he not only gets the girl, but he has a great line about why he bikes, that had me wanting to cheer for him... so i dont think its entirely fair to say that the movie was picking on bikers. he was the hero, and he was not beholden to what others thought of his lifestyle choices, and i respect the movie for that