40 Yr Old Virgin is a bike riding loser...

Really?! Hollywood looks for anything to make entertainment. I know different people that have used a bike to get to work or where ever. They are always the coolest people, generally speaking.
I'm sure movies like this are just a mock up on something that some people just can't understand or relate to. People find humor in all sorts of things. Doesn't actually mean its funny to other people or that it even makes sense. I suppose society might look at something like this and think its true. Its all relevant. I mean hundreds of years ago people would ride a horse or walk. How ridiculous would a car be to them or a plane? Technology and automobiles to me have just complicated things. How it effects people and their relationships. Who is really loosing here? If we really want to examine who the loser is; what does anybody really gain from a car other than ease of transportation? Mentally it sometimes is more of a headache. So, whatever makes you happy.

Not sure of the title of the movie in English, but I just saw a pretty funny movie with a title "40 year old virgin" and one of the things used to develop the charachter as a childlike loser was the fact that he rode a bike to work (and it was mentioned several times). I must admit, I liked the movie, but that aspect upset me a little bit. Not that the movie portrays cyclists in a negative light, but more of a reality check that is the way cyclists are viewed by the general public (at least in the US). I ride bikes too and I am very well socially adjusted (my mom told me so)! I wish cycling could be seen as a healthy, fun, and environmentally responsible activity rather than something for kids and losers. :mad:
Yes and you should always believe what your mum tells you. hehe I know I do!
You are right. Most people see cycling as a waste of time, and something that kids and youth do out of boredom. At least here. When my dad rides his bike, neighbours are perplexed why would he ride his bike if he has got a car in the garage. Well, most of them actually are not aware of the fact that he would rather spend his time on a bike, than in a care, plus that he enjoys cycling more than driving. On top of it, it is healthy, shows care towards the environment (no exhaust pipes, etc), and also makes people happy. I believe only losers actually think like most of my neighbours do...

Fortunately, I never take movies seriously. I know the movie you're talking about, and I thought it was deplorable. Just because the main character rides his bike to work, doesn't make him a loser...he is in fact the smart one. Just think of all the money he saves on fuel and he gets to stay in shape. The creators of this movie are the real losers.