400$ difference between the sl+ and pro+ justifys durability?

caps

Apr 4, 2006
Hi

I`m about to buy one of those two models and I have a doubt wich of both will give me the best bang for the buck in terms of durability and lifespan of the unit. I`m in a countru where CS is a plain joke, I will depend on the fact that these powertaps are GOOD equipment and will need only MINOR labour during LONG periods of time.

I need to know if that price difference between these two models justifys any durability improvements of the sl+ over the pro+. Besides the 50gram difference, the axle diameter and the carbon windows on the hub, is there better seal placement or any other stuff on the higher priced stuff that should make me go that way?.

SRM and Quark`s are out of question...I`m on a certaing "budget"...

Please, what do you think?

thanks a lot!

bye

ps: this wheel will be for training only, no racing. Just hard and intensive training, not too much rain, but once in a while I ride under heavy rains...

I bought my PT last year. I had a similar 'tough choice' between the SL and the Pro. The big difference with those two was that the Pro had a steel axle, while the Sl had alloy. The weight difference was even larger, 120 grams or so.... still, I just couldn't justify the extra $200 or $300 it was going to run me for the SL.

I don't know the price difference between the new Pro and Sl, but 50 grams isn't that much of a difference in weight, especially at the axle. At least to me that isn't much weight.... I know the Sl has a larger axle but I think they are both alloy, so they're both probably pretty strong.

As far as waterproofing, I haven't heard about any problems. PTs have been pretty robust for quite some time now.

caps said:
Hi

I`m about to buy one of those two models and I have a doubt wich of both will give me the best bang for the buck in terms of durability and lifespan of the unit. I`m in a countru where CS is a plain joke, I will depend on the fact that these powertaps are GOOD equipment and will need only MINOR labour during LONG periods of time.

I need to know if that price difference between these two models justifys any durability improvements of the sl+ over the pro+. Besides the 50gram difference, the axle diameter and the carbon windows on the hub, is there better seal placement or any other stuff on the higher priced stuff that should make me go that way?.

SRM and Quark`s are out of question...I`m on a certaing "budget"...

Please, what do you think?

thanks a lot!

bye

ps: this wheel will be for training only, no racing. Just hard and intensive training, not too much rain, but once in a while I ride under heavy rains...

I have heard that some people (eg:, garmin-chipotle riders) have been having some issues bending or damaging the 12mm alloy axle. Also, where I ride the roads are extremely bumpy and sometimes the wheels get pretty banged up. I`m fairly light (70kg) but the roads are just a piece of junk. Also, creating forces trough the axle not only in the direction of the torque applied plus the multiple spots where the potholes on the road and the other stuff impact the wheel could make the wheel and specially the axle bend or break?

What do you think about this?

Also, I know that this is a little OT, but: Is it allowed to travel with the wheel in a bag (the cycleops travel bag) as hand luggage? Does the airline will prohibit me to travel with it as a "hand accesorie"?

thanks guys!

caps said:
I have heard that some people (eg:, garmin-chipotle riders) have been having some issues bending or damaging the 12mm alloy axle. Also, where I ride the roads are extremely bumpy and sometimes the wheels get pretty banged up. I`m fairly light (70kg) but the roads are just a piece of junk. Also, creating forces trough the axle not only in the direction of the torque applied plus the multiple spots where the potholes on the road and the other stuff impact the wheel could make the wheel and specially the axle bend or break?

What do you think about this?

Also, I know that this is a little OT, but: Is it allowed to travel with the wheel in a bag (the cycleops travel bag) as hand luggage? Does the airline will prohibit me to travel with it as a "hand accesorie"?

thanks guys!
Wheels would be too large to for a "carry on" to take in the passenger compartment of a plane. It would have to be checked in as regular luggage.

caps said:
Use the money you save on the Pro+ to get an extra plane ticket for the wheel to ride in the seat beside you. :D

hahahahaha I like that one...

Well, I suposse that I will have to dissamble the wheel and pack the rim extremely wheel and take the hub unit into my carry on luggage with the spokes and nipples and the rim will go normal luggage as I don`t want to have the wheel jumping and tumbling trough the plane and also, all those airport workers seem that when they read "fragile" on a packet then they treat it as like there were stones inside...

Any other suggestions guys?

The company I´ll be flying with, is called Iberia, so for people with experience with them feel free to comment here!

Thanks a lot!
bye

I got a use Pro model with wheel (yellow cover) on ebay last year for about 450. I've only had some minor problems that I was able to fix, other than the wheel bearings/cones being shot. So right now the LBS is doing it's best to fix that. Assuming it comes back good, buying a used Pro model seems to yield the most value. I see a new SL or whatever it is they have out now is like 1400. WTF? Cycleops ain't going to be selling them for that insane price, especially in this coming depression.

Bike parts have gotten way too expensive.

caps said:
hahahahaha I like that one...

Well, I suposse that I will have to dissamble the wheel and pack the rim extremely wheel and take the hub unit into my carry on luggage with the spokes and nipples and the rim will go normal luggage as I don`t want to have the wheel jumping and tumbling trough the plane and also, all those airport workers seem that when they read "fragile" on a packet then they treat it as like there were stones inside...

Any other suggestions guys?

The company I´ll be flying with, is called Iberia, so for people with experience with them feel free to comment here!

Thanks a lot!
bye
A complete wheel will be stronger than just a rim and I'm sure that a good bike wheel bag/case will be cheaper and/or less hastle than rebuilding a wheel.

That you're flying with Iberia doesn't make any difference - it's the ground staff/bagage handlers at the airport that do all the ape work and throw stuff around. I've had bikes of planes (mostly in low tech cardboard boxes that bikes are delivered to shops in) about a dozen times and have never really had a problem other than one small dent in a steel frame.

Remember to leave some air in the tires - about 30 to 40psi seems to work well, as leaving air in will offer some protection to the rims.

I will buy the cycleops wheel bag and then I will go to the airport with the wheel in the bag like hand luggage, and then I will see what the personal on ground tell me to do with the wheel.
I suposse that I could take it as normal luggage, I mean I know that a wheel doesn`t fit in the compartiments that are on the upper part of the plane but I think that having it with me or in a corner of the plane, something like shouldn`t be a problem...

what do you think?

thanks!

bye

caps said:
...I think that having it with me or in a corner of the plane, something like shouldn`t be a problem...

what do you think?

bye

I think its still going to be a problem. Save yourself the head ache now, because when they force you to check that wheel, you won't be able to properly box it up at the airport.

yeah coach, it sounds reasonable. Well, I think that I will buy the whole wheel and then with my spoke wrench just dissamble it and then I will box the rim up with a tyre on it and if things goes bad at least not all the PACKAGE goes to the trash...

thanks guys!

caps said:
I will buy the cycleops wheel bag and then I will go to the airport with the wheel in the bag like hand luggage, and then I will see what the personal on ground tell me to do with the wheel.
I suposse that I could take it as normal luggage, I mean I know that a wheel doesn`t fit in the compartiments that are on the upper part of the plane but I think that having it with me or in a corner of the plane, something like shouldn`t be a problem...

what do you think?

thanks!

bye
So, did you get it yet?

I'm guessing there's no way in hell you'll get that wheel on as hand luggage unless you buy a ticket for it and seatbelt the thing into a seat - in which case you'll look a complete idiot.

Wheels are pretty strong. Complete bike wheels go via delivery truck and planes all the time... just get the bike shop to throw it into a box that used to have a prebuilt wheel in it and use that for transport.

Got my powertap pro back from the LBS, they replaced the cones and bearings I think, only $20.

once you learn the flaws of the older powertap, it's not bad, they are the best value.

You shouldn't have to pay > $1000 for true accurate power data.

velomanct said:
Got my powertap pro back from the LBS, they replaced the cones and bearings I think, only $20.

once you learn the flaws of the older powertap, it's not bad, they are the best value.

You shouldn't have to pay > $1000 for true accurate power data.

You'll learn to like it more. I bought a used one in 04' and only had to replace cones and bearings twice. It's been a very dependable and reliable device and is within 8% accuracy of my computrainer and 5% of my SL. For a 435.00 and 5 years of wattage data you can't beat it.

Time for new cones again.

These are shot just like the ones last year. And this time, the steel axle is also bent. Let me say that again - the STEEL axle is BENT. I can barely put this new straight skewer through it.

I ride decent roads overall, but hit RR tracks often right next to my house (pretty harsh hit, really loud BANG!) And the group ride has it's own "cobblestone" sections. I'm only 180lbs too.

So, I'm looking to get a new axle and cones. Right now I'm riding it with quite a bit of lateral play, otherwise it will just lock up on me.