400 pound rider on a new Trek 520 - what should I expect?

ReallyFatBiker

May 8, 2010
Six months ago I was 510 pounds, today I am 390 pounds. I swim five days a week for 45 minutes and lift weights 3 times per week. I decided to add cycling into the mix for something to do in the evenings when I'm not lifting, and for the weekends.

I did as much research as possible and decided to buy the Trek 520. What should I expect when I get the bike? I won't have for another week or two. I paid $1300 and the shop I purchased it from has offered to help find better wheels and a better seat post if necessary.

So that's my question, what should I expect? Am I pretty much all set with this bike and ready to hit the roads, or should I take any precautionary measures to make sure everything is in place? Do I need to order tandem wheels right away or should I wait until the ones I get break down?

welcome to the forum. Nice job with the weight loss if you start bike riding you will be under 300lb soon. Because of your weight i would consider buying stronger wheels. I would replace the tires with something thats puncture proof(Kevlar). you should buy general biking equipment so that your comfortable on long rides bike pants, Helmet,Bike computer,lights,water cage,under seat bag,flat fix and small bike tool kit. I would also recommended you pace yourself at first and as you get better you can start signing up for charity rides and training for them. Make sure to pack granola/fig/nuts to snack when you are on long rides. you must keep eating to have the energy to keep riding. I would sign up to websites like livestrong.com or mapmyride.com to keep track of your progress (bike computer). The bike looks great now get out there and ride make sure to post your progress on the forum so that you can inspire someone else.

Yes, congratulations on the weight loss, that's fantastic!

Personally I think you should step the rims up to what's commonly known as touring/tandem rims. Touring/tandem rims typically have 40 or 48 spokes instead of 36 the 520 came stock with. The lowest cost rim I could find was the Sun CR18 and they come in both 40 and 48 and have a width choice of 25 or 35mm and are known to be very strong rims. I would "think" the 40 hole rims would be adequate but discuss this with your LBS they may suggest 48 on rear and maybe 40 on front, or maybe they'll agree the 40 is more then adequate. The Suns only cost about $31...but this is just the rim and no spokes or hubs.

The only problem with these higher spoke count rims is that the hubs cost a lot. Velocity does make a 40 hub rear axle for about $133, and Shimano HF08, a front hub, is 40, but again your LBS may have a better idea for hubs.

Spokes the DT Alpine III are heavy duty touring/tandem triple butted spokes that will actually hold up better then thicker heavier straight gauge spokes. And most 40 or 48 spoked rims should be laced 4 cross and not 3 cross as the 36 spoked rims on the 520 are; 4 cross makes a stronger wheel.

And finally use only brass nipples.

My suggestions "might?" be a slight overkill, but the rims won't need to be trued as often if they are overkilled. I have a friend that weighed 320 when he started and went with the 40 hole set up I mentioned above (except I can't remember his hubs, I thought they were both Shimanos) on his touring bike...but he didn't start touring till he got his weight down to 220, thus adding another 60 pounds or so of gear brought the carrying weight back up to 280 and the 40's held up. But your a tad over that so check this info with your LBS.

Yes, congratulations on the weight loss, that's fantastic!

Personally I think you should step the rims up to what's commonly known as touring/tandem rims. Touring/tandem rims typically have 40 or 48 spokes instead of 36 the 520 came stock with. The lowest cost rim I could find was the Sun CR18 and they come in both 40 and 48 and have a width choice of 25 or 35mm and are known to be very strong rims. I would "think" the 40 hole rims would be adequate but discuss this with your LBS they may suggest 48 on rear and maybe 40 on front, or maybe they'll agree the 40 is more then adequate. The Suns only cost about $31...but this is just the rim and no spokes or hubs.

The only problem with these higher spoke count rims is that the hubs cost a lot. Velocity does make a 40 hub rear axle for about $133, and Shimano HF08, a front hub, is 40, but again your LBS may have a better idea for hubs.

Spokes the DT Alpine III are heavy duty touring/tandem triple butted spokes that will actually hold up better then thicker heavier straight gauge spokes. And most 40 or 48 spoked rims should be laced 4 cross and not 3 cross as the 36 spoked rims on the 520 are; 4 cross makes a stronger wheel.

And finally use only brass nipples.

My suggestions "might?" be a slight overkill, but the rims won't need to be trued as often if they are overkilled. I have a friend that weighed 320 when he started and went with the 40 hole set up I mentioned above (except I can't remember his hubs, I thought they were both Shimanos) on his touring bike...but he didn't start touring till he got his weight down to 220, thus adding another 60 pounds or so of gear brought the carrying weight back up to 280 and the 40's held up. But your a tad over that so check this info with your LBS.

Saddle wise, I think I would consider a wide Brooks B68. It's a heavy duty all leather saddle designed for comfort...once it's broken in which would take about 3 months at the most.

Unfortunately my local bike shop does not build wheels so that sort of removes the option of buying the parts and having them build it. They said they could try ordering wheels from someplace that carries them already built, or I could order them myself online. I'm considering Peter White Cycles right now, but those are crazy expensive. I'll be looking at around $800 for a set of his wheels.

ReallyFatBiker said:
Unfortunately my local bike shop does not build wheels so that sort of removes the option of buying the parts and having them build it. They said they could try ordering wheels from someplace that carries them already built, or I could order them myself online. I'm considering Peter White Cycles right now, but those are crazy expensive. I'll be looking at around $800 for a set of his wheels.

Peter White may be crazy expensive but he will build them right. Make sure you tell him how much you weigh (don't lie), and whether or not your going to do loaded touring sometime in the future. $800 for wheels is not bad