4000miles, 8days, non-stop. Surely not? What sort of training would they be doing?

abby fleming

Feb 16, 2013
So doing my usual road biking news search I came across 4 amateur cyclists looking to cycle 4000miles in 8days from Seattle to key west, non-stop. Is this even possible??? I found this article and a video trailer on them. What's your thoughts on if this is achievable http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYHFgLRcB6M&feature=youtube_gdata_player http://www.velouk.net/2013/02/12/news-epic-non-stop-4000-mile-cycle-in-8-days/ And they have a Facebook page at www.facebook.com/point2pointcycle Interested in what everyone's opinion is on the sort of training an event like this would require? Thanks 

The question is answered in your same post in The Bike Cafe sub-forum. You don't need to post the same topic more than once.

Hi abby fleming, not possible for me ... that's 500mi (800kms) per day. I would need a motor and even the pros only do 250kms/day /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

What are they saying on the other forum /img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif

It is a relay. 125miles/day for each person.

The speed target seems a bit high, but I don't know what speeds the teams average on Race Across America.

The southern most point in the US is in Hawaii. The northern most point is in Alaska. I hope they don't get lost.

Originally Posted by vspa .

no need to repeat your post on different sections,
Not only is the poster repeating it here but is spamming it all across bike forums all over the place.

Frankly I think its a disingenuous promo tactic.

https://www.google.com/search?q=So+doing+my+usual+road+biking+news+search+I+came+across+4+amateur+cyclists&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a

Well it turns out abby fleming per facebook is in a relationship with scott jenkins who is one of the 4 doing the relay.

Way to take a great cause and ruin it by lying and spamming for donations

If u guys want to hate that's fine. I've not asked for donations just wanted to start a discussion on whether ppl thought it was possible in the cycling community. I've never been part of a forum before so was not aware of the forum etiquette until ppl told me today u only post in one forum topic. I don't believe I have asked for anything other than people's feedback on whether it is possible in cyclists minds and that was my only aim. I asked in other cycling forums as I thought I could get different peoples opinions. I don't believe I have ruined anything by asking people's opinion on the challenge.

Originally Posted by abby fleming .

If u guys want to hate that's fine. I've not asked for donations just wanted to start a discussion on whether ppl thought it was possible in the cycling community. I've never been part of a forum before so was not aware of the forum etiquette until ppl told me today u only post in one forum topic. I don't believe I have asked for anything other than people's feedback on whether it is possible in cyclists minds and that was my only aim. I asked in other cycling forums as I thought I could get different peoples opinions. I don't believe I have ruined anything by asking people's opinion on the challenge.
Good forum etiquette isnt lying outright. Let me help

"So doing my usual road biking news search I came across 4 amateur cyclists looking to cycle 4000miles in 8days from Seattle to key west, non-stop. Is this even possible??? I found this article and a video trailer on them."

The truth is more "So i'm helping my friends and boyfriend who are 4 amateur cyclists looking to cycle 4000miles in 8days from Seattle to key west, non-stop. Is this even possible??? I posted this article and edited a video trailer on them."

I am not hating, but pointing out you are spamming the same deceitful copy paste message to cycling forums all over the internet. Given that you actually did the video editing, are involved with one of the participants one must ask why you would pretend to be just some person who happened on the "story", when in fact you are active in promoting what they are doing.

The only reason to engage in such behavior is to push folks to donate. Fact is its a good cause and touching story, its your own dishonesty that ruins it.

That's your opinion and I'm sorry if I have ruined it. I thought if I wrote as a non-cyclist I wouldn't get feedback and I did find that story as I emailed some online cycling websites but hadn't heard back from any and found the velo uk article through a google search. That is the truth. I'm sorry I wanted to raise awareness and to generate feedback from the cycling community on the charity. I only posted it in 3 different cycling forums and not once have I asked for a donation nor have They received any as the charity donation pages were not mentioned in a single post. the whole aim was to generate a discussion about the feasibility of their challenge. That was all I wanted. I have never used a forum below so my understanding of etiquette and how they work is limited. At end of the day the guts are trying to do something to help someone - it's not as if I was promoting a brand. I am sorry if u do not like my post and that is your opinion but all I wanted to do was create a discussion on the feasibility of the event. How is that so wrong.

I don't want to get into an argument or generate negativity so I apologise for what I have done. I truly am I only wanted to generate some discussion about the actual challenge. Sorry I will not post again as I don't want to upset anyone. Have a nice weekend and sorry again

That's your opinion and I'm sorry if I have ruined it. I thought if I wrote as a non-cyclist I wouldn't get feedback and I did find that story as I emailed some online cycling websites but hadn't heard back from any and found the velo uk article through a google search. That is the truth. I'm sorry I wanted to raise awareness and to generate feedback from the cycling community on the charity. I only posted it in 3 different cycling forums and not once have I asked for a donation nor have They received any as the charity donation pages were not mentioned in a single post. the whole aim was to generate a discussion about the feasibility of their challenge. That was all I wanted. I have never used a forum below so my understanding of etiquette and how they work is limited. At end of the day the guts are trying to do something to help someone - it's not as if I was promoting a brand. I am sorry if u do not like my post and that is your opinion but all I wanted to do was create a discussion on the feasibility of the event. How is that so wrong.
Correct its my opinion, and its wrong because you post as some random detached person when the truth is you are involved with trying to promote what they are doing.
That is the lying disingenuous part.

"So doing my usual road biking news search I came across 4 amateur cyclists" Really thats how you found out about it huh?

And its not just posting on three forums its posting on three forums and all of their sub forums. Looks its obvious your simply trying to promote what they are doing, I would recommend a more honest approach. You should be proud of them and your affiliation with what they are doing but the guerilla marketing is a disservice.

I am so proud. More than words can explain and why I am happy to help them. I honestly have never been on a forum before and only realised today that people go into all sections. I wasn't trying to do it on all sub topics, I was trying to post it in the relevant sub-topics. I don't want to upset you or put any negativity against what they are doing so all I can say is sorry. I'm not sure what else I can do other than say sorry. At end of the day what they are doing is an immense challenge for a friend and some charities - all of which are positive. I do not wish to draw negativity towards them and for that reason I apologise and will not blog again. Sorry I have upset you so much but have a good weekend

Ok, I'm going to let this thread run - and I'll kill the other threads that you created and I have moved the replies from other members on those threads to this thread.

I've deleted all your messages on those other threads though.

This thread has a bit of traction - so if anyone wants to post their thoughts about your question, they can do so here.

Of course you're free to continue posting here about this event.

bottom line, if there is any, not possible (question in the title), unless you miss typed 4000 miles instead of 400 miles

They are looking to cycle 112 miles each in 6hours so average speed of 18mph so should take them between 8-9days to complete. Hope that makes it clearer x