406 tyres

On Tue, 07 Feb 2006 11:30:40 +0000, Dave Larrington wrote:

>> Pah! Yoof of today, mumble... I've been using 17" bicycle tyres since
>> 1983 and not had any problem getting them on or off.

> 17's are something of a movable feast; I am given to understand that the
> quality control on both rims and tyres were a bit hit and miss in the
> Wolber days. Mike Burrows reported having one rim that was /so/ oversized
> he was obliged to cut a section out of it and weld it back together!

Not or believe it, the rims are not welded. There are apparently pins
in there, but it's the tension of the spokes that holds it all together.
A bloke called Brandt will tell you all about it if you can accept him
treating you as an idiot who can't read or calculate. There _is_ a
Moulton B.C. instruction sheet on fettling the rims to a smaller size
tho'.

> The Bridgestones were usually harder work than the Wolber /
> Moulton jobs too.

My AM7 is now on Stelvios, no problem to fit, even by the side of the
road rather than workshop. But I never had any problem with Wolber,
Continental or Bridgestone either. AM Moultons get through a lot of
tyres...

Mike

In article <pan.2006.02.07.22.04.51.782134
@firstnamelastname.com.invalid>, Mike Causer
([email protected]) wrote:

> Not or believe it, the rims are not welded.

Not by the factory...

> My AM7 is now on Stelvios, no problem to fit, even by the side of the
> road rather than workshop. But I never had any problem with Wolber,
> Continental or Bridgestone either. AM Moultons get through a lot of
> tyres...

I became a 369-free zone before the Stelvios were available. Do you use
the pukka 369 tubes? I used to use 349 Michelins (being tight) and
generally find that using undersized inner tubes tends to make it a bit
harder to get the tyres on.

The thing about Tony Parsons, though, the defining aspect of his
personality, is that he is a complete ****.

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 13:08:58 +0000, Dave Larrington wrote:

> I became a 369-free zone before the Stelvios were available. Do you use
> the pukka 369 tubes? I used to use 349 Michelins (being tight) and
> generally find that using undersized inner tubes tends to make it a bit
> harder to get the tyres on.

Pukka, but the latest ones have a name I don't recognise "IRC", and have
so much mould flash that I think they're going to be a sod to patch.

Mike

In article <pan.2006.02.08.15.15.17.793512
([email protected]) wrote:

> Pukka, but the latest ones have a name I don't recognise "IRC", and have
> so much mould flash that I think they're going to be a sod to patch.

Inoue Rubber Company, your honour, a Nipponese manufacturer of rubbery
things from way back.

Is it an Audi A4?

On Wed, 08 Feb 2006 16:10:10 +0000, Dave Larrington wrote:

> Inoue Rubber Company, your honour, a Nipponese manufacturer of rubbery
> things from way back.

Ah-so.