40k best time

acoggan said:
Since both races were at 6200 ft altitude, not that high, i.e., 268 W and 565 W, respectively.

A 51:58 from 268W?

Do you have the frontal area of a flea? Was it an out-and-back course?

swampy1970 said:
If I am not mistaking (which could be the case), I remember having read few years back that he once managed to perform a 40k TT in 60min flat on a 220w diet.

Powercranks maybe?

swampy1970 said:

Do you have the frontal area of a flea? Was it an out-and-back course?

A CdA of less than zero will do that. The air sucks you along.

Good job, Andy!

swampy1970 said:

Actually, I made a mistake in my original post - my official time was 51:52. I would have finished in ~51:45 if not for being hung up behind a slower rider at a critical moment. That's still 1:10 off the 50+ record I was chasing, though. :(

swampy1970 said:
Do you have the frontal area of a flea?

No - just short legs and narrow hips and shoulders for someone 6 ft tall.

swampy1970 said:
Was it an out-and-back course?

Yes.

acoggan said:
Actually, I made a mistake in my original post - my official time was 51:52. I would have finished in ~51:45 if not for being hung up behind a slower rider at a critical moment. That's still 1:10 off the 50+ record I was chasing, though. :(

No - just short legs and narrow hips and shoulders for someone 6 ft tall.

Yes.

Would that have been a Kent Bostick record?

Amazing time, congrats - but I still find it hard to believe that a 51 can be done with less that 300 watts but it's something that gives me hope for the future! Nice to know.

Back in 1996 I was tested on my time trial bike with a threshold of 340watts (BCF test rig - kingcycle and also on a calibrated 'treadmill' at a sports science lab) and never broke 56 minutes. I think the few time trials I did ride I managed to get all the 'hard' days. I did manage to crack 21 minutes for a 10 mile TT that year - and on a course with plenty of roundabouts.

I may not have had the best bike (531 'no butted' tandem tubed frame) and Campag Shamals but the rest of the kit (Bell Vortex helmet and USA team issue derived Descent ribbed "batsuit") was among the best kit out there at the time - as seen in my tiny avatar. Position was similar to Boardman in the 92 Olympics. I too was thin and skinny - 5ft 11 and low 140's lbs.

Wow - nearly 51 flat is a great time! I've never gotten close to that.
The numbers sound fishy to me, as the avg. power for that time doesn't match.
My 54's were on a flat course, no wind assist, really as aero as one can get [Lotus, rear disk, front Cosmic, skinsuit, etc.). My avg power for that distance at the time pushed 300W, so.....
I am above average size for a cyclist, which would be a negative for me aero-wise. But you're 6' as well, only ~3" shorter than I am. Not much diff. there. I'm pretty confident in my position, having worked on it for years on end, so I don't suspect much diff there either.
I suspect either your time or your power measurement was off. The numbers just don't add up.
Was the 51 time and low 200W range power readings repeatable? Or, was this a one-off? If so, a favorable wind shift during the race could explain this.

Andy, I would be keen to know what the average power for each run was the day you did three 40km TTs in a row. Appreciate the Tandem ride may be difficult but what were the other two?

bobdejonge said:
I suspect either your time or your power measurement was off. The numbers just don't add up.
Was the 51 time and low 200W range power readings repeatable? Or, was this a one-off? If so, a favorable wind shift during the race could explain this.

The tandem run was a national team-record breaking time, with location and conditions chosen specifically to give a good chance of actually breaking the previous record. From his comments about missing the record during his single run, I would expect the same level of preparation was done.

fergie said:
Andy, I would be keen to know what the average power for each run was the day you did three 40km TTs in a row. Appreciate the Tandem ride may be difficult but what were the other two?

Working from memory, the 1st (a low 53 on a flat loop course) was just under 300 W, and the 2nd (a low 55 which started about 20 min later) was some 7-8% lower.

The 3rd was as the stoker on a tandem, so I don't know my (or even our combined) power for that race, but I suspect the drop-off was even greater, as by that point the heat was getting pretty intolerable for even a skinny, acclimatized guy like myself (one rider died and two were hospitalized that day with heat stroke).

andy
when and where did you ride the 51:52??
also, when and where were the 3 in a row races?

leanman said:
andy
when and where did you ride the 51:52??
also, when and where were the 3 in a row races?

1. This year (2009) at the Record Challenge in Moriarty, NM:

2009 Record Challenge

2. At the D20 (now MABRA) TT championships in 2001 (sorry, not aware of any link to results).

swampy1970 said:
Would that have been a Kent Bostick record?

No, the 50+ record is held by Scott Hennessy:

http://www.usacycling.org/forms/records.pdf

swampy1970 said:
Amazing time, congrats - but I still find it hard to believe that a 51 can be done with less that 300 watts

Remember, the altitude in Moriarty is 6200 ft, which allows even a partially-acclimatized flatlander like me to go 30-60 s faster than at sea level.

swampy1970 said:
but it's something that gives me hope for the future!

Go for it!

bobdejonge said:

Altitude + windless conditions + an "aerodynamically gifted" rider + mucho time spent refining one's aero position via wind tunnel and field testing = not as much power required to go fast as many would think.

Altitude + windless conditions + an "aerodynamically gifted" rider + mucho time spent refining one's aero position via wind tunnel and field testing = not as much power required to go fast as many would think.

the above comment by andy coggan just goes to show how good the pros are. heres an amature, with access to a wind tunnel, plus all the positives for a fast ride he stated and the pros still go so much faster. the pros are amazing..

hey andy
how about a tip for all us amatures. i imagine your prep was very thought out getting ready for your very fast tt, so after your foundation was laid, why dont you let us all know how you trained in the weeks leading up to your 51:xx tt? what kind of workouts did you do mon-sunday in the weeks prior to your race? 1 minute intervals? 5 minute intervals? the famous 20 minute interval? but did you do these much harder with more rest? i, and i imagine lots of others would like to read about how your training went.
thanks