40km TT power files

Discussion in 'Power Training' started by TTer, Jun 26, 2003.

1. TTer

TTer New Member

Here's my PowerTap data from a 40km time trial at the weekend. It isn't cut exactly (about 1min 30seconds extra), but it gives an idea of the effort/HR/cadence/speed. The course was "sporting" to say the least, so I went over TT power on the hills (to save time) and had to recover somewhat afterwards. The overall power was a little lower than I expected, but probably because I pushed a little too hard on the hills (330W average at times, my 40km TT power is around 260/270W) and paid the price in the middle of the race.

Any comments are welcome. I'm not sure what you can discern from the file, except I pushed a little too hard in places and suffered later on. Maybe I should have limited any 'harder' efforts on the hills to 300W so I wasn't grovelling at ~220W to recover later.

Tags:

2. 2LAP

2LAP New Member

TTer,

Do you think you can hold a more consitant pace? When is your next time trial when you can try it out?

3. TTer

TTer New Member

Not on these courses. There are uphill/downhill sections (not serious, but they are noticeable hills) that affect power and make pushing on the uphill/resting (a little) on the downhill more tactically astute. I am riding a relatively flat TT in 2 weeks time which will hopefully see a better time/pace.

I did ride a 40km TT last year which was flatter than the two plots I posted previously (it was windy out towards the turn, then a good tailwind coming out of the turn). The course was flatter so I could maintain a more constant power output (see plot below). I'm hoping my sustainable TT power hasn't gone downhill since last year (not after all the training since december), though I'm not sure.

4. ric_stern/RST

ric_stern/RST New Member

TTer,
    What smoothing option have you used for these?

Ric

5. TTer

TTer New Member

Sorry Ric, been a little inconsistent here. The above was 5%, I will repost it as 2% smoothed.

6. ghutchinson

ghutchinson New Member

Can you paste in the 'view data' as opposed to the 'ride data' ?

From using my PT in mock TT's, I would say that is pretty consistent. It is so easy to take the power up to 350+. Some hills I have to go >350w just to keep the bike upright. I see you speed only went down to 30kmh, so the hill wasn't that bad.

My theory is try to keep the power below 330w at almost all costs, assuming I am trying to avg. 275w. You should have been able to keep it below 350w considering you didn't go much below 30kmh. I would have probably gone slower up the hill and faster down the hill, as I wouldn't need to recover as much. My theory is completely unproven. In fact some data suggests its wrong, but I haven't been able to come to a conclusion yet.