42 tooth chainrings available for compact cranks?

pj_s

Jul 15, 2003
hi!

Will be riding in the alps a lot this summer and have decided to replace my campy double crankset with a compact crankset. (A triple is not an option for me, as this concerns a racing bike). The compact cranks have a bolt diameter of 110mm (commonly called 110BCD) and are shipped either 48/34 or 50/36 chainrings.

This poses me with a problem - inner chainrings with 36 (or 34) teeth are fairly useless here in holland, where we don't have much in the way of hills. So unless I'm riding into gale force winds, a 42-19 is the lowest gear I use.

The most obvious solution seems to me to buy an extra 42 tooth 110 BCD chainring. That'll give me lots of flexibility. Much to my surprise, I can't find these anywhere! Can you help? Are manufactorers just plain dumb (ie they didn't think of this rather obvious customer requirement), are my wishes extreme (as in, i am the only person in the world wanting this) or is it all a manufacturer's complot (they all want us to spend a lot of money on 2 cranksets, or even worse to go triple ;)

:confused: does anyone out these know of 42tooth (or thereabouts) 110BCD chainrings that are available?

thanks/cheers, PJ

Originally posted by pj_s
hi!

Will be riding in the alps a lot this summer and have decided to replace my campy double crankset with a compact crankset. (A triple is not an option for me, as this concerns a racing bike). The compact cranks have a bolt diameter of 110mm (commonly called 110BCD) and are shipped either 48/34 or 50/36 chainrings.

This poses me with a problem - inner chainrings with 36 (or 34) teeth are fairly useless here in holland, where we don't have much in the way of hills. So unless I'm riding into gale force winds, a 42-19 is the lowest gear I use.

The most obvious solution seems to me to buy an extra 42 tooth 110 BCD chainring. That'll give me lots of flexibility. Much to my surprise, I can't find these anywhere! Can you help? Are manufactorers just plain dumb (ie they didn't think of this rather obvious customer requirement), are my wishes extreme (as in, i am the only person in the world wanting this) or is it all a manufacturer's complot (they all want us to spend a lot of money on 2 cranksets, or even worse to go triple ;)

:confused: does anyone out these know of 42tooth (or thereabouts) 110BCD chainrings that are available?

thanks/cheers, PJ
Sure there are lots of 42s try www.peterwhitecycles.com FWIW, 'racing bikes' are not triple exclusive.

Originally posted by boudreaux
Sure there are lots of 42s try www.peterwhitecycles.com FWIW, 'racing bikes' are not triple exclusive.

thanks, you've made my day! have searched and searched, but could not find these. (it would probably help if TA had a proper - or findable - website...)