43 back on bike after 25 years, to loose weight HELP !!!!!!!

I'm not even sure he's watching these posts anymore, I haven't heard a peep. But if he, you are, did you get the stress test I recommended? if so how did it go?

Just keep riding Kevin, the more you ride the easier it gets. Nothing wrong with getting off the bike and walking; Cycling, running, getting healthy is a lifestyle change. Just remember, when we do bad things, we feels the results immediately, when we do good things it takes awhile to feel the results. We are being tested all the time. Sláinte!
Originally Posted by Limerickkevin .

Hi Guys
Thanks for the replys
Missed cycling for 2 dyas due to work commitments and got on the bike yesterady andf had a good trip of abiut 18k with only 2 stops it was fecking great ,
Headed out to today and was doing great until about 12k and then hit a wall total loss of energy,, had to walk back the last couple of K's

In hindsight just a had a 3 fruit smothie (Banana, Apple,Pears,Oj and Yogurt) about 4 Fl oz and small portion cereal,

Any tips on diet be great and build stamina

Regards

Kevin

It's not easy to lose weight, the body can manufacture fat storage cells, and does,
but those little famine-prevention units never go away. They get "fat" and then then in famine,
but when we get food again, they glom-up on the lipids.

That is, and I am not a doctor, but just an observer, all our fat cells put out chemical messages,
begging to be "fed" again, greedy to re-store themselves with fat. It's a protective mechanism,
but there is a price.

In primitive times it was vital for humans, as it is for most animals whose food supply is sporadic,
to be able to feast in order to withstand famine.

I happen to be lucky, have always been thin. I have no trouble keeping thin,
I am about 5'10'' and, at present, thinner than I've been since I was a teen,
when I was about 130. I weight about 140 today.

If you and I were put into a famine-situation, you, ninety pounds overweight, would live.
I'd be dead in a week. So there. Compensation. ; )

Most folks, though, battle overweight, and when we get older, we find it's just so hard to diet down.
And that is true at any age, though it is a bit easier for young (high metabolism) humans to lose weight by fasting or exercise.

Advice? I think, do as you are doing, you have lots of moral support here.
Slow and steady and keep your morale up, and your weight loss-speed slow, like you have planned.

Lots of water. I drink a gallon of water a day. Why? It's the best "solvent", keeps things flowing,
keeps the blood thin, prevents, I think, most "coronary" events.

Old people often wink out at last. They get sedentary and hurt, rheumatism,
so they don't move so much. They may not get enough water (sodas don't count, imo).
They eat a big, fat meal, have few alcoholic drinks, (alcohol dehydrates us, it makes you pee more than you drink,
the person who overindulges sometimes goes to bed, and does not wake up.

But that won't happen to you. You are taking charge of your body and you are still young.
Good for you. Heavy people, by the way, are often the nicest people I meet.
They are the most forgiving and so must always love themselves.

The talk he gives is highly non-technical, and it is grossly oversimplified.
He is selling a product, a "system". Disregard the sales pitch?

The point is, we all tend to get fatter as we age, myself and maybe five percent of others, excepted.
Yet, even though I am not getting fatter, I am aging, same as all others. I have some form of heart disease.
But I do not have "fatty" organs, though my arteries are quite surely "limed". That is an inevitable process.

Now, when we see older people, they mostly have gained weight, steadily, gradually, through the years.
I do not want to be morbid, but much fat is deposited in between the various organs of the body.
You see this in old dogs too, they get "doughy" and thick, and it's obviously not just fat under the skin,
but throughout the torso of the body. This sort of fat is "permanent", in a way, it does not diet-down.

If you are greatly overweight, you can never really hope to regain your 21 year old physique.
Yet, you can lose great amounts of weight, feel much better, be stronger, and probably live much longer,
and avoid diabetes and various degenerative disease processes are also slowed, though not "halted".

If we are middle aged or more, it is not wise to go gung-ho and try to recapture our youthful vigor in full.
You can 'break" the human machine. We slow down as we age, for a reason. But we should not give up
and go to seed, not when we have things to do and places to go and people to love.

Here, an example of fat. I am sorry for our failed, local Mayor of Miami. On Friday I filmed him,
that is me below, my voice. I used a sixty dollar digicam against pro gear. Pardon the camera shake?
Notice that the Mayor, born in Cuba in 1947, is overweight, and notice how the fat has thickened his body all over.
Mayor Regalado, nearing sixty five, is not grossly overweight. But see how his backbone is slumping?

Reid, biking for over fifty years.
Cop beating and brutality survivor, now aged 57
I am not likely to gain weight in my few remaining days on earth.

That's a wonderful blog, guy above. You are a hero.
You are giving people, especially the young and fit,
reasons to understand weight gain. I still have my tonsils,
would not let the doctors cut them out.

Here, a snippet of wisdom from your documentary page, quote,

Thought I’d pop something in here about why I think Ended up fat. When I was very young I was often quite ill, usually tonsillitis and would not eat. Doctors at my local practice didn’t want to send me for a tonsillectomy, so I regularly wouldn’t eat and was painfully thin. My father thought I was going to die sometimes due to being so ill and not eating. eventually I was sent for a tonsillectomy but to took a change of doctor to make the decision.
Finally, I could eat and it didn’t hurt! So eat I did, and my parents always encouraged me to clear my plate, so I obliged! As I got into my teens, I was able to make my own decisions and with my school dinner money, would often go to the chippy for lunch rather than spend it in the school canteen. Also on the way home from school on my pushbike I’d often stop off at the chippy for a scallop(a large potato slice, battered and fried), before going home for dinner. My mom could see I was putting on weight so used to give me smaller meals at home, but then I’d just be hungry and go to the chippy when I went out to play!
Then, I left school and started on a YTS scheme job..finally I had some money of my own! (all £28 a week of it grr!). I had chips for lunch often with a pie, and then, when heading home on my motorbike (a Suzuki A100), i’d stop off at the chippy on route and have another bag of chips and a saveloy!! Before then eating me dinner with me mom and dad! I just couldn’t pass up any opportunity to eat food! Pizza sandwiches, pie in a bun, chip butties, chocolate chip cookies…anything! So herein started my life of over eating and weight gain:-(

Weight gain is natural, but not inevitable. The "system seller" in the video above made some points, too.
We were "designed" for seasonal weight gains. And it is not even "seasonal", but it is opportunistic,

But, today, food is always available, at least, to most of us in the Western world,
tempting, ready to eat tasties , just open the pantry or the fridge. Now, think about a hundred years ago?
You did not eat unless the missus or the cook made you a dish. There was much less obesity. You could have salt pork
or dry cheese or crusty bread between meals. You could dampen your gullet with lead-tainted wine or port, as it was considered
safer than much of the water, no risk of typhus in spirits.

Yet, those who were corpulent, then, were considered by the majority, to be "fat and happy", prosperous.
Now, we all know, and many doctors knew then, that corpulence carries a heavy price, and is hard to manage once acquired.

But, too, fat is not a death sentence. Alle, a family friend and great pal of mine, was quite fat.
She lived for over ninety years. I asked her, when I was child, and worried for her health,
"Don't you want to lose weight and live longer?"

"Pshaw, I've always been heavy. I can't help it. Both my parents lived well into their nineties. So will I."

And so she did.

http://books.google.com/books?id=-GgUAAAAQAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=obesity&hl=en&ei=eVJsTofnEsmXtweB5tzPBQ&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CDEQ6AEwAA
Cursory remarks on corpulence; or Obesity considered as a disease By William Wadd, 1816

Thanks for the praise Reid2! My hope is that us fatties wanting to get thiner and fitter by cycling will support each other virtualy.

Cheers

Steve

Hi guy, yes "fatties" can sure be a help to each other,
and "thinnies" can learn from "fatties".

That old book cited above? I am reading it now.
It has lots of -golden information-.

The old time writers were pretty savvy.

quote of a quote, page 29,

" How can a magic box of pills,
" Syrup, or vegetable juice, ' " Eradicate at once those ills,
" Which years of luxury produce ?"

I want to make a little point. Remember Laurel and Hardy?

Oliver Hardy was always fat. He lived a fair-long time, until his health failed in his sixties.
His always-thin partner, Stan Laurel, lived about the same length of time,
but had diabetes (if I recall) and suffered a debilitating stroke years before he died.

They were fat and thin. But, always, we meet our ends, and what's the use of worrying?

Olive at one hundred and seven. She bicycled and lived a long, lean life.
She's quite a woman...

If I make any lasting impression, it is this: eat in moderation, try to stay relatively lean,
moderate exercise, moderating further as you age, and drink copious amounts of plain water.

My maternal grandmother never exercised a day in her ninety years.
She was never corpulent. She ate a typical Georgia-style diet of eggs, bacon, sausage,
white bread, butter, red meats, pork, and died only after her bones thinned, broken hip,
lead to pneumonia from her being bed ridden. A typical end stage for humans.

Breath deeply and exercise in moderation as you grow wiser with age.
Don't bust the machinery, trying to rejuvenate?

The world's first electric appliance motor, that could be plugged into the lighting circuit,
still like new-working today, because it was never abused, we are machines, too,

1887. It was for powering the tailors' sewing machine, and it could also have a fan blade
put to the other end of the shaft. It is, therefore, the first electric fan, mains powered, ever made.

Kevin,

One simple thing to remember - have fun.

If riding becomes something of a chore then you'll hang up your wheels and that'll be that.

Second thing to remember - moderation.

There has to be things that you love to eat and drink. You don't have to give that up - just eat/drink less. The exercise will take care of things...

As you progress, your ideal of "fun" and "moderation" will naturally change, as habits do. Allow that change to happen - don't force it.

I'll easily admit that I was a near alcoholic English f**k that after a decade off the bike piled on close 80lbs after racing at a fairly handy level. Maybe I am an alcoholic English f**k but I'm 70lbs lighter than I was a few years ago and the thought of riding 200 miles though the high mountains of California, where I now live, doesn't fill me with dread... but I'm no longer a 12 pack a night guy but I'm most certainly not a saint. Instead, those long rides in the hills are a fun hard ride with time afterwards for a brewski and some fun with the family afterwards.

Reactions: jpr95
Originally Posted by Firm Button .

Im also cycling to loose weight! I started exercising on an exercise bike 3 weeks ago and my fittness is improving ready for when my road bike arrives from Rose in the next 2-3 weeks hopefuly! Yahoo!

Steve

My blog, a fat-to-fit story- http://chub2stud.wordpress.com

Is Rose still in business? Do you have a link?

Hi everyone
I am deeply sorry I have not repled to you all sooner < I have been in hospital for a couple of operation nothing serious thank God
Starting back on the bike tomorrow < I intend to start a weight loss blogg < I know there are loads on the net but a friend sduggested the it might be a way of keeping myself motivated

Cheers for all comments
If any one has advise on bloggs let me know

Originally Posted by Limerickkevin .

If any one has advise on bloggs let me know

You could get a cheap hosting account somewhere and install wordpress or alternatively create an account on blogger.com.

I hope you are doing much better now after your surgery, I also just started cycling for the same reasons as you did, to lose weight and get in shape, I'm 40 and have a little son 16 months old si I want to be a good roll model to him growing up....

Nothing like a baby to give a wake up call on health and where you are in life
/img/vbsmilies/smilies/smile.gif
keep me posted on your progress and I will do the same

Limerickkevin said:
Nothing like a baby to give a wake up call on health and where you are in life :) keep me posted on your progress and I will do the same
I sure will keep ya posted my friend, I'm new to cycling and to the forums and I love to read posts on here to learn and get motivation, you are too right about having a new baby, he is the world to me so I want to do everything possible to be healthy..

Good on ya kevin - keep it up. I agree with the go slow stuff. I started with about a 3 mile ride and thought I was too far gone. Things progressed pretty quickly after a couple of weeks. Just don't over stress your heart. When you are breathing heavy and sweating its time to slow down a bit and let that heart rate drop. As long as you are healthy the muscles will tone and the pounds will start to fall off.

Good luck, take it easy, and enjoy the ride.

Kevin, my opinion: whatever you're doing for your diet is unlikely to affect your bicycling at this point. Ten to fifteen kilometers may be enough to exhaust you, but it isn't far enough to deplete your blood sugar. Making sure you're hydrated is probably the most important thing to worry about at this point in your training. You might also consider alternating your bicycling days with walking days. At your fitness level, it sounds like bicycling may be a bit too strenuous, and walking will give you a good alternate workout for your 'rest' days.