4300 with Schraders - -

tractorlegs

Apr 4, 2006
I'm 6 foot 5 inches, and I appreaciate Trek for making their 22-1/2 inch MB frames. I got a new Trek 4300 aluminum, which for most of you is a beginner-level machine, but for me is quite a step up from my 13 year-old dependable rigid. (Which is a Performance M303, yes the mail-order-internet people. They have, or had at the time anyway, great bikes in their retail stores --) One thing I did not notice until I got the new 4300 home was that it has Schrader instead of Presta valves!:eek: But the good news is that my Joe Blow floor pump seems to be able to pump up the tires as easily with the schraders as with the Prestas that I'm used to. With such a good pump, I've decided to keep the schraders and not yell at the bike shop and/or Trek about using Schrader valves and drilling the huge holes in the otherwise cool wheels.

But now I'm thinking -- if my floor pump (the big yellow Topeak Joe Blow) pumps up my tires as easily as it does my Presta bikes, then where is the advantage of Presta?!? For convenience, Schrader has the advantage -- I can walk over to Kmart or Walmart and get a tube now, whereas with Presta there is no such convenience. However, we're talking 65psi here -- is Presta just a high-pressure (120psi) valve that has simply crossed over to MBs? If any experts here think I should switch over to Presta, it's time to tell me why -- :D --Trac

Life is good with so much choice. Now you can wonder over to K-Mart and buy some of those little lights that screw on to the top of the Schrader Valves. :D

gclark8 said:
Life is good with so much choice. Now you can wonder over to K-Mart and buy some of those little lights that screw on to the top of the Schrader Valves. :D
Ironically, I actually saw those little lights at Kmart today and actually thought about getting them. I'm a kid at heart, I guess:)

--Trac

I've noticed that the few times I have needed to adjust tire pressure the Prestas are easier, ie when I ride to the trail head on the street I run high pressure. Then I let some air out to suit my needs on the trail, lower pressure for some better traction. Then pump em up a bit for the ride home. Its a bit easier to fine tune.

However for commuting I prefer the Schrader type as you stated the convenience factor of being able to replace easier. Also if you need to change out a tube but don't have a pump handy, one at a gas station will work w/out an adapter.

Pretty much whatever the wheels on the bike have when new is what stays on it for me. If it needs a replacement it gets a new wheel of the same type.

If you want to change from Shcrader to prestaw/out geeting new wheels check with one of the bicycle small parts companies for adapters that fit in the schrader hole so a presta valve will fit with no play. Wheels Manufactoring makes them and a pair is roughly $2 US.

Craig