44cm or 42cm handlebars?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Az cactus, Oct 28, 2005.

1. Az cactus

Az cactus New Member

Hi guys, I'm putting together a road bike, and I was wondering if there is any advantage getting a 44cm handlebars over the 42's, I'm 5' 10" tall and have no clue at all, so any help will be appreciated, thanks!!

AC

Tags:

2. PeterF

PeterF New Member

Be aware that the various companies measure their bars differently. For example, I have a 3TTT Forgie bar that is listed as a 44. Italian bars measure outside to outside. 3TTT's also flare at the drops and that is the point where they measure it as a 44. I have a Ritchey that's a 42 (measured center to center). The Ritchey is actually wider at the hoods (where I spend about 99% of the time). I have used a 44 (c-t-c), and this might be the recommended size for me due to my shoulder width, but I prefer the slightly more compact feeling of the 42 Ritchey's. Try a few set ups and see what you like.

3. PolishPaul

PolishPaul New Member

Get what feels better!

While i was shopping for my roadbike i test rode a Trek and a LeMond like 5 times each back and forth. Although i didn't find anything different, i noticed they had a wider handlebars on the Lemond... I'm 6'00 avg size. The bike felt much more stable and they were more my shoulder width so i had them put on the larger handlebars.

As far as size? 44cm 42cm.. i dunno.. what do YOU like? I'm not even sure what size i got, all i know is they fit great! They're my shoulder width or so and they feel stable. Even my ol' roadie friend was like.. wow - that is kinda nice paul.

The bike shop should have all kinds of different sizes so ask for them and hold them pretending you'r eon a bike. See if they have any bikes with larger HB's that you can test ride...

hope it helps.

4. 531Aussie

531Aussie Well-Known Member

also, believe it or not, some bars are wider across the bottom of the drops than the top of the drops. I had a pair that were 42 across the bottom, but 40 across the top

I'm 6ft, and i like 42cm c to c

I would recommend 42 c-to-c for you

5. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

measuring from the shoulder socket to socket will get you a good guidline, i myself take a 44 by this, c-t-c, but of late use 42. if you find your knees are contacting the drops they are prob too narrow, but riding style can compensate for this.

there is also a belief that wider bars "open up" the lungs for breathing, esp while climbing, (debunked as a theory) and that narrower are more aero by reducing frontal area (true advantage possibilty) .

though once again these factors can be adjusted by wrist and elbow positioning.

fit is the overall most important aspect of the bike, if it is not right all the best stuff will not be used to best advantage, so i suggest you bone up on all the fit info you can, starting with the sticky guide at the top of this forum...

colorado cyclist has a passable primer on fit as well, check it out.

6. nerdag

nerdag New Member

Anatomically and physiologically, this is correct - a wider grip will give your accessory beathing muscles (intercostals, serratus anterior, and scalenes) more leverage on the rib cage, allowing you to generate more negative pressure in your thoracic cavity when you inhale, and letting you suck in oxygen more quickly - it doesn't allow you to suck in more oxygen.

It's only really of benefit when you're really pushing hard and exercising at close to your aerobic limits.

In practice, though, if you find this less comfortable, wider bars won't do much for your breathing.