44tooth MTB 5 bolt chain ring question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Charles Berista, Mar 19, 2003.

  1. I just got a replacement 44t large 5 bolt shimano XT chain ring to replace the cannondale chain ring
    hit one rock too many and lost some teeth...

    When I installed the shimano ring, i noticed that the "pin" , that goes toward the crank arm, to
    prevent the chain from getting wedged between the crank arm and the spider/chainring is "missing" ..
    or really.. just not there.

    Do you think that this is the way it should be, or that it was an oversight during the
    manufacturing cycle?

    I've got it installed.. and I added a rock ring.. so I think i can get away without the pin.. but
    just not positive. thanks charlie

    Member Help Community Leader

    Tags:

  2. Raymo853

    Raymo853 Guest

    Some rings have the pin and some do not.

    "Charles Beristain" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just got a replacement 44t large 5 bolt shimano XT chain ring to replace the cannondale chain
    > ring hit one rock too many and lost some teeth...
    >
    > When I installed the shimano ring, i noticed that the "pin" , that goes toward the crank arm, to
    > prevent the chain from getting wedged between the crank arm and the spider/chainring is "missing"
    > .. or really.. just not there.
    >
    > Do you think that this is the way it should be, or that it was an oversight during the
    > manufacturing cycle?
    >
    > I've got it installed.. and I added a rock ring.. so I think i can get away without the pin.. but
    > just not positive. thanks charlie
    >
    > Member Help Community Leader

  3. Paul Kopit

    Paul Kopit Guest

    On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 00:30:59 GMT, Charles Beristain <[email protected]> wrote:

    >When I installed the shimano ring, i noticed that the "pin" , that goes toward the crank arm, to
    >prevent the chain from getting wedged between the crank arm and the spider/chainring is "missing"
    >.. or really.. just not there.
    >
    >Do you think that this is the way it should be, or that it was an oversight during the
    >manufacturing cycle?

    The 44t x 110 ring could have started as a 2nd ring and not a first. Tandem cranksets have
    been 54x44x32.

    I could guess that one could tap a hole and put a screw on it.

  4. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    "Paul Kopit" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > On Thu, 20 Mar 2003 00:30:59 GMT, Charles Beristain <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >When I installed the shimano ring, i noticed that the
    "pin" , that
    > >goes toward the crank arm, to prevent the chain from
    getting wedged
    > >between the crank arm and the spider/chainring is
    "missing" .. or
    > >really.. just not there.
    > >
    > >Do you think that this is the way it should be, or that
    it was an
    > >oversight during the manufacturing cycle?
    >
    > The 44t x 110 ring could have started as a 2nd ring and
    not a first.
    > Tandem cranksets have been 54x44x32.
    >
    > I could guess that one could tap a hole and put a screw on
    it.

    FWIW, the last Shimano outer ring I bought didn't come with a pin. I had to pull the pin out of the
    old one, and drive it into the new. No big deal, but it's a small detail one could easily forget to
    take care of.

    It didn't make sense that the new chainring didn't come with a pin. As far as I can tell, these MTB
    outer rings are outer-only.

    Matt O.

  5. matt: thanks ... i switched from a cannondale ring to a shimano ring.. I'll see if the pin will
    fit. charlie

    Member Help Community Leader

  6. Kbh

    Kbh Guest