45 tooth outer chainring?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by feltrider199, Jul 7, 2007.

1. feltrider199

feltrider199 New Member

im a junior and because of the junior gear restrictions i need to find a 45 tooth outer chainring. im running an 11-23 so if i can get a 45 tooth chainring and just block out the last cog that would be great. right now i have the last 3 or 4 cogs blocked...

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

EDIT: Just buy a Specialties TA Outer in 44 or 46t in 110mm PCD. I can get them from Greenspeed, in AUS or Sheldom Brown - Harris Cyclery, in the USA.

OK, on the cassette. ;)

3. feltrider199

feltrider199 New Member

my crank is an origin 8 compact with a pcd of 110. and i would like to change my cassette but i already have an 11-23 on my training wheels and got a good deal for a dura ace 11-23 for my race wheels...

4. feltrider199

feltrider199 New Member

i did think about that, but you see if i get a 46t i would have to block out my last 2 smallest cogs, and if i get a 44t i would still have to block out my last smallest cog (i think). and since im already spinning enough, i just thought a 45t with the last smallest cog blocked would be the best. but ill probably just end up getting a 44t chainring or sticking with my gear combination right now...

5. bobbyOCR

bobbyOCR New Member

I'll assume you are restricted to a 7.93m rollout. (I'm restricted to 6.50, running 46:15). The best thing you could do is lock out your bottom 2 to the 13, and run a 49t up front. This will give you a very slight edge. Trust me, its not the number of gears in the rear, its the max gear you have. If you have enough gears to climb hills and your max gear (which, if racing, you should be pegged in for anything but a climb or a reasonable headwind), then you are fine.