UK and Europe · Public discussion

£47.50 + VAT

Started by MSeries · · Last activity · 56 posts · 3,318 views

Thread navigation

Jump through the discussion

Go to the original post, the replies on this page, or the latest preserved contribution.

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
UK and Europe
Published
22 September 2004
Last activity
24 September 2004
Original author
MSeries
Posts
56
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
3,318
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 21–40 of 56
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. David Martin said:

    On 22/9/04 1:23 pm, in article [email hidden],
    "Colin

    Blackburn said:


    The "indirectly" there involves using a paper OS map to go out into the
    field as a basis for doing the surveying process yourself.

    That must be very tenuous legally. If I were to look at my OS map on my
    way
    to a particular site then that is using an OS map to go out into the
    field.
    But if I then draw a map entirely without reference to the Ordnance
    Survey
    map, how can that be a breach of copyright?

    Sorry, my wording was bad there. I mean using the OS map in the field as
    part of the surveying process (rather than using it to get there.)

    Colin

  2. On 22 Sep 2004 03:51:16 -0700, "MSeries" <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I have been thinking about describing my favourite rides on my website,
    obviously including a map would beneficial. I use OS maps so it would
    be best to scan the relevant parts and superimpose my route on it. I
    understand that copying an OS map is illegal for most purposes so I
    emailed them to check. To do what I want would mean I need to buy a
    licence for £47.50+VAT. Stuff that, I'll draw them myself !

    What's the situation if you use a product such as Autoroute as the
    basis for your maps?

    James

  3. James Hodson said:

    What's the situation if you use a product such as Autoroute as the
    basis for your maps?

    If the base for a map is not an OS map but another map then you may still
    need an OS licence if that map is based on an OS map. Newer orienteering
    maps based on older orienteering maps still acknowledge the OS if the
    older map used the OS. In addition you may need permission from the
    copyright holder of the non-OS map. It's a minefield!

    Colin

  4. In article said:

    If the base for a map is not an OS map but another map then you may still
    need an OS licence if that map is based on an OS map. Newer orienteering
    maps based on older orienteering maps still acknowledge the OS if the
    older map used the OS. In addition you may need permission from the
    copyright holder of the non-OS map. It's a minefield!

    A solution to this problem may be be to draw your own, which is perhaps
    not as daunting as it sounds given the availability of logging GPS
    receivers and software such as rideplot (http://rideplot.sourceforge.net/)
    which can produces traces of the logs.

    --
    Mike Quin

  5. On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 15:04:50 +0000 (UTC), Mike Quin <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    A solution to this problem may be be to draw your own, which is perhaps
    not as daunting as it sounds given the availability of logging GPS
    receivers and software such as rideplot
    (http://rideplot.sourceforge.net/)
    which can produces traces of the logs.

    That's okay for areas with good coverage or where you can plot easy lines
    to fill in any gaps. I use GPS trackmaker and some home spun software to
    produce tracks of fell runs (idle suriosity rather than purpose.) Mapping
    a dense woodland is another matter, though even here an altimeter, compass
    and steady pacing can produce a decent usable map.

    Colin

  6. Colin Blackburn said:

    It's a minefield!

    Let's hope said minefield is clearly marked on whatever map one
    chooses.

    <removes tongue from cheek>
    James

  7. James Hodson said:
    Colin Blackburn said:

    It's a minefield!

    Let's hope said minefield is clearly marked on whatever map one
    chooses.

    <removes tongue from cheek>

    ISTR several prominent military and intelligence facilities failed to make
    it to some maps---it must have been foggy when the OS guys went out. They
    probably didn't see the minefields either.

    Colin

  8. On Wed, 22 Sep 2004 13:50:42 +0100, "Colin Blackburn"
    <[email hidden]> wrote (more or less):

    Quoted message said:
    Colin Blackburn said:

    The British Orienteering Federation says:

    "Note that the Ordnance Survey has copyright on all material produced by
    them, so any map based, however indirectly, on OS material will be in
    breach of copyright unless it is licensed by them, and the appropriate
    royalty is paid. This is likely to apply to most orienteering maps,
    including orienteering maps based on previous orienteering maps."

    The "indirectly" there involves using a paper OS map to go out into the
    field as a basis for doing the surveying process yourself.

    And the OS says, in relation to using their maps as base maps to create
    new maps for publication:

    "Redrawn maps (also called based on) are maps which are made from our maps
    but completely redrawn to suit your needs. They can be drawn or compiled
    with reference to Ordnance Survey maps but are not exact or facsimile
    copies and do not look like the Ordnance Survey product."

    What happens if you redraw from an old (and therefore
    out-of-copyright) OS map?

    How could the OS tell the difference between that and redrawing from a
    current map?

    (assuming it's for a section of road/track that hasn't substantiually
    altered in recent decades)

    Quoted message said:


    Redrawing a map is category B copying a map as far as the OS's licensing
    is concerned. Category B licences are cheaper than category A licences
    (for facsimile copying.)

    Colin

    --
    Cheers,
    Euan
    Gawnsoft: http://www.gawnsoft.co.sr
    Symbian/Epoc wiki: http://html.dnsalias.net:1122
    Smalltalk links (harvested from comp.lang.smalltalk) http://html.dnsalias.net/gawnsoft/smalltalk

  9. Gawnsoft said:

    What happens if you redraw from an old (and therefore
    out-of-copyright) OS map?

    Nothing, as long as the map is over 50 years old.

    Quoted message said:

    How could the OS tell the difference between that and redrawing from a
    current map?

    I have no idea.

    The copyright and licensing rules are ridiculous and probably
    unenforceable at many levels. However, the rules are there and the OS will
    take action if they consider they have a case (as one poster is testament
    to.)

    Colin

  10. Colin Blackburn said:
    James Hodson said:
    Colin Blackburn said:

    It's a minefield!


    Let's hope said minefield is clearly marked
    <removes tongue from cheek>


    ISTR several prominent military and intelligence facilities failed to


    make

    Quoted message said:

    it to some maps---it must have been foggy when the OS guys went out.


    They

    Quoted message said:

    probably didn't see the minefields either.

    such as the following (taken from NTK.net)

    best wishes
    james

    the NSA monitoring station in MORWENSTOWE, CORNWALL
    http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?x=220507&y=112750&scale=25000&rt=overlay.htm
    http://qurl.net/4G

    so there isn't an OS symbol for a giant AN/FLR-9 "Elephant Cage"
    Antenna (dismantled)?:
    http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?x=510500&y=239500&scale=25000&rt=overlay.htm
    http://qurl.net/4H

    MENWITH HILL listening station:
    http://www.multimap.com/map/photo.cgi?x=420500&y=457000&scale=25000&rt=overlay.htm
    http://qurl.net/4I

  11. Colin Blackburn said:

    The copyright and licensing rules are ridiculous

    As are their prices I might add. We are currently applying for planning
    permission for a domestic windcharger (don't mention the T word!) Our
    council requires us to send 6 copies of a ground plan at 1:2500
    scale---showing adjoining properties. Ignoring the fact that the council
    doesn't understand what adjoining means, the map we were asked to submit
    would have cost us £72 for one copy. Making photocopies of this map would
    be against copyright restrictions but we could buy additional copies at
    20% of that price, thus 6 copies would cost us £144. Bizarrely the council
    can sell us the required maps for £18 (for all 6). However this falls
    under a map return scheme where we can only buy the maps from the council
    if we immediately send tham back to the council. Why the council can't cut
    out the post office's role in this I don'y know.

    The OS baffles me but I still love maps, even theirs.

    Colin

  12. Quoted message said:

    Don't get me wrong, I don't think you're doing anything morally or
    ethically wrong

    too bloody true, who paid for all the surveying and production of OS maps in
    the first place??? It pisses me off to have OS demand even more money for
    their work when we have already paid for the stuff in the first place. USGS
    maps are free on t'internet... OS's pricing is a bugger.

    Tony B

  13. Colin Blackburn said:
    James Hodson said:
    Colin Blackburn said:

    It's a minefield!

    Let's hope said minefield is clearly marked on whatever map one
    chooses.

    <removes tongue from cheek>

    ISTR several prominent military and intelligence facilities failed to make
    it to some maps---it must have been foggy when the OS guys went out. They
    probably didn't see the minefields either.

    When I was a Venture Scout some many years ago, one of our leaders
    worked for the MOD in some mapping role. He used to blag maps from
    work, to the untrained eye the same as 1:50000 OS maps, but with,umm,
    interesting additions.

    Tim

  14. Tony B said:
    Quoted message said:

    Don't get me wrong, I don't think you're doing anything morally or
    ethically wrong

    too bloody true, who paid for all the surveying and production of OS maps in
    the first place??? It pisses me off to have OS demand even more money for
    their work when we have already paid for the stuff in the first place. USGS
    maps are free on t'internet... OS's pricing is a bugger.

    I get my OS maps for free...

    http://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/oswebsite/getamap/

    1. Click on "Get-a-map"
    2. Tap in a 2, 4, 6, 8 or 10 digit grid reference
    3. Right click on map centre
    4. Save as...
    5. Repeat from stage 2
    ===
    6. Use an image editing program to stitch the portions of the map
    together
    7. Print
    8. Laminate (optional)
    9. Use as desired

    I suppose you think that cars should be able to use the roads for free
    too.

  15. Tony B said:
    Quoted message said:

    Don't get me wrong, I don't think you're doing anything morally or
    ethically wrong

    too bloody true, who paid for all the surveying and production of OS
    maps in the first place??? It pisses me off to have OS demand even
    more money for their work when we have already paid for the stuff in
    the first place. USGS maps are free on t'internet... OS's pricing is
    a bugger.

    Tony B

    and have you seen how much profit they make, to reinvest of course.

  16. Quoted message said:

    I suppose you think that cars should be able to use the roads for free
    too.

    Conversly, do you think bicycles should have to pay to use roads?

    As for OS, I don't mean free, I mean not pay twice... anyhow, there is a
    good argument for taxing motor vehicles to curb usage, I wouldn't have
    though that was an issue with maps. :-) I can see why they want to charge to
    cover printing, distribution etc. but once bought, what's the problem? Sure,
    someone COULD copy the paper map and use it rather than buy another, but I
    wouldn't have thought it was a huge loss for them.

    As a f'rinstance on how daft it is, in Memory Map Navigator one is allowed
    to print off OS copy but only on A4 - A3 or larger is restricted. What's
    that all about then?

    Tony B

  17. "MSeries" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
    news:[email hidden]...

    I have been thinking about describing my favourite rides on my website,
    obviously including a map would beneficial. I use OS maps so it would
    be best to scan the relevant parts and superimpose my route on it. I
    understand that copying an OS map is illegal for most purposes so I
    emailed them to check. To do what I want would mean I need to buy a
    licence for £47.50+VAT. Stuff that, I'll draw them myself !

    I would say that if it's just a hobby site then go ahead and do the maps,
    and if you are unlucky enough to get a "strongly worded letter" from OS then
    rethink. This is totally different from the AA case where they were making
    big $$ from someone elses work, so OS should very rightly come after them
    for $$$compensation.

  18. Tony B said:
    Quoted message said:

    I suppose you think that cars should be able to use the roads for
    free too.

    Conversly, do you think bicycles should have to pay to use roads?

    As for OS, I don't mean free, I mean not pay twice... anyhow, there
    is a good argument for taxing motor vehicles to curb usage, I
    wouldn't have though that was an issue with maps. :-)

    It occured to me, as I drove home today, that if car usage were successfully
    reduced, everyone who doesn't drive would end up paying more tax, as cars
    and car related bits and bobs contribute a fair bit of tax revenue.

  19. in message <[email hidden]>, Martin Newstead

    (') said:
    Tony B said:
    Quoted message said:

    Don't get me wrong, I don't think you're doing anything morally or
    ethically wrong

    too bloody true, who paid for all the surveying and production of OS
    maps in the first place??? It pisses me off to have OS demand even
    more money for their work when we have already paid for the stuff in
    the first place. USGS maps are free on t'internet... OS's pricing is
    a bugger.

    and have you seen how much profit they make, to reinvest of course.

    I think that's an irrelevance. What is the overall cost/benefit to the
    economy as a whole to have the Ordnance Survey (and the Hydrographic
    Office) 'profit centres'? I suspect looking at the economy as a whole
    this has a negative impact on industry generally which greatly
    outweighs any actual saving made by the treasury. Conversely, US
    industry greatly benefits from the ready availability of free, high
    quality maps.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    <p>Schroedinger's cat is <blink><strong>NOT</strong></blink> dead.</p>

  20. in message <[email hidden]>, Doki

    (') said:
    Tony B said:
    Quoted message said:

    I suppose you think that cars should be able to use the roads for
    free too.

    Conversly, do you think bicycles should have to pay to use roads?

    As for OS, I don't mean free, I mean not pay twice... anyhow, there
    is a good argument for taxing motor vehicles to curb usage, I
    wouldn't have though that was an issue with maps. :-)

    It occured to me, as I drove home today, that if car usage were
    successfully reduced, everyone who doesn't drive would end up paying
    more tax, as cars and car related bits and bobs contribute a fair bit
    of tax revenue.

    Or less tax, since car tax does not pay for the wear and tear to the
    roads that the car causes, so the road maintenance bill would fall
    drastically.

    --
    [email hidden] (Simon Brooke) http://www.jasmine.org.uk/~simon/

    ;; When all else fails, read the distractions.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.