48/36/26 on road bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
H

Hrothgar

hi,

i have a road bike with a complete ultegra triple setup (52/42/30 and 12-27), STI brifters. I would
like to change this to either 48/36/26 or 48/36/24 for the foll. reasons: 48/12 will still allow me
to hammer to ~25mph in flats, and 26 (or 24) x 27 will give me enough to climb steep and long hills.
I would like to train for some 'amateur' races in our area that include both flats and hills. the
question is: what do i need to change in my bike to accomodate the setup that i wanted?
1. will replacing my crankset with an MTB crankset cause 'incompatibility' problems with my STI
brifters? and with my FD?
2. what about changing the whole FD and crankset with MTB ones? will this be ok with my STI
brifters? i won't mind spending 'some' money as long as i get the configuration that i wanted.
any help would be appreciated.

hrothgar

Hrothgar <[email protected]> wrote:
: i have a road bike with a complete ultegra triple setup (52/42/30 and 12-27), STI brifters. I
: would like to change this to either 48/36/26 or 48/36/24

i run 48/38/24 w/ ultegra brifters and drive-train. i put an ngear chain catcher for warm fuzzies
and it works pretty well. i have to run the front derailleur a little high (well more than the
recommended 1-3mm) for proper front shifting, tho.

my understanding is that the ultegra triple really likes a 10t diff between the middle and large
rings. i didn't argue & just bought a 38t. who knows. i run a 12-27 or 11-32 rear with an XT rder.

just throw on some new TA rings on your current crank. i wouldn't change cranks as long as a 38
middle is ok.
--
david reuteler [email protected]

David Reuteler wrote:

> just throw on some new TA rings on your current crank. i wouldn't change cranks as long as a 38
> middle is ok.

You can get away with a bit less chain too.

> hi,
>
> i have a road bike with a complete ultegra triple setup (52/42/30 and 12-27), STI brifters. I
> would like to change this to either 48/36/26 or 48/36/24 for the foll. reasons: 48/12 will still
> allow me to hammer to ~25mph in flats, and 26 (or 24) x 27 will give me enough to climb steep and
> long hills. I would like to train for some 'amateur' races in our area that include both flats and
> hills. the question is: what do i need to change in my bike to accomodate the setup that i wanted?
> 1. will replacing my crankset with an MTB crankset cause 'incompatibility' problems with my STI
> brifters? and with my FD?
> 2. what about changing the whole FD and crankset with MTB ones? will this be ok with my STI
> brifters? i won't mind spending 'some' money as long as i get the configuration that i wanted.
> any help would be appreciated.
>
> hrothgar

One thing to point out: if you're racing and need a bailout, you're not racing any more.

How bout a 36-50 double? (34-48?) If its good enough for Tyler in the TdF, its good enough for me!

I'm going to set up my cross bike like this for summer use as a "climbing bike." Since I am
seriously allergic to hills a 34t inner ring should help bunches.

One more piece of free advice: hills never get any easier, just faster.

Mike

Zog The Undeniable <[email protected]> wrote:
:> just throw on some new TA rings on your current crank. i wouldn't change cranks as long as a 38
:> middle is ok.
: You can get away with a bit less chain too.

yea, in fact you'd be advised to.

(48-24) + (27-12) = 39 is right up against & over the capacity of the ultegra triple rear derailleur
(which is 37?). no biggy (small/small 24/12 won't work, but it'd be pretty silly anyway) but you'd
be better off trimming the chain.
--

My road race bike has 48-34 chainrings with an 11-23 10-speed cassette. I find that an appropriate
gear range for veterans racing.

Nick

"Hrothgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> hi,
>
> i have a road bike with a complete ultegra triple setup (52/42/30 and 12-27), STI brifters. I
> would like to change this to either 48/36/26 or 48/36/24

"Mike S." <mikeshaw2@coxDOTnet> wrote in message news:OFemb.73318$vj2.48176@fed1read06...
>
> > hi,
> >
> > i have a road bike with a complete ultegra triple setup (52/42/30
and
> > 12-27), STI brifters. I would like to change this to either
48/36/26
> > or 48/36/24 for the foll. reasons: 48/12 will still allow me to hammer to ~25mph in flats, and
> > 26 (or 24) x 27 will give me enough
to
> > climb steep and long hills. I would like to train for some
'amateur'
> > races in our area that include both flats and hills. the question
is:
> > what do i need to change in my bike to accomodate the setup that i wanted?
> > 1. will replacing my crankset with an MTB crankset cause 'incompatibility' problems with my STI
> > brifters? and with my FD?
> > 2. what about changing the whole FD and crankset with MTB ones?
will
> > this be ok with my STI brifters? i won't mind spending 'some' money as long as i get the
configuration
> > that i wanted. any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > hrothgar
>
> One thing to point out: if you're racing and need a bailout, you're
not
> racing any more.

D'oh! You would be surprised at how many times you can place top 10 in an "amateur" (i.e. citizen)
road race if you just keep riding -- especially if the weather is really bad and there are only ten
entrants. It gets harder when there are eleven. -- Jay Beattie.

"David Reuteler" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> Hrothgar <[email protected]> wrote: my understanding is that the ultegra triple really likes a
> 10t diff
between
> the middle and large rings. i didn't argue & just bought a 38t. who
knows.
> i run a 12-27 or 11-32 rear with an XT rder.

has anyone tried 'breaking' the 10t diff as 'recommended' by shimano? i prefer a 48/36/24 over
48/38/24. what will happen if i use a 36 in the middle instead of 38?

thanks, hrothgar

> > > hi,
> > >
> > > i have a road bike with a complete ultegra triple setup (52/42/30
> and
> > > 12-27), STI brifters. I would like to change this to either
> 48/36/26
> > > or 48/36/24 for the foll. reasons: 48/12 will still allow me to hammer to ~25mph in flats, and
> > > 26 (or 24) x 27 will give me enough
> to
> > > climb steep and long hills. I would like to train for some
> 'amateur'
> > > races in our area that include both flats and hills. the question
> is:
> > > what do i need to change in my bike to accomodate the setup that i wanted?
> > > 1. will replacing my crankset with an MTB crankset cause 'incompatibility' problems with my
> > > STI brifters? and with my FD?
> > > 2. what about changing the whole FD and crankset with MTB ones?
> will
> > > this be ok with my STI brifters? i won't mind spending 'some' money as long as i get the
> configuration
> > > that i wanted. any help would be appreciated.
> > >
> > > hrothgar
> >
> > One thing to point out: if you're racing and need a bailout, you're
> not
> > racing any more.
>
> D'oh! You would be surprised at how many times you can place top 10 in an "amateur" (i.e. citizen)
> road race if you just keep riding -- especially if the weather is really bad and there are only
> ten entrants. It gets harder when there are eleven. -- Jay Beattie.
>
>
Yeah, especially when you have to take off your shoes to double check the count...

Mike

"Hrothgar" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

> has anyone tried 'breaking' the 10t diff as 'recommended' by shimano? i prefer a 48/36/24 over
> 48/38/24. what will happen if i use a 36 in the middle instead of 38?

I used to run a 24-34-48, with no problems. As long as your derailer goes into the big ring OK and
the chain doesn't drag on the cage in the small one, it hardly matters what's in the middle.

Road bikes typically have 39-53 cranks, a 14T jump. The biggest thing you'll notice is the drop in
cadence and increase in effort going from the small to middle ring. That's a gearing issue though,
not a shifting one. Shifting should be fine.

Matt O.

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003 20:06:59 +0000, Hrothgar wrote:

> has anyone tried 'breaking' the 10t diff as 'recommended' by shimano? i prefer a 48/36/24 over
> 48/38/24. what will happen if i use a 36 in the middle instead of 38?

You'll be banned from the club. Aside from that, no problems. They "recommend" what they sell,
no surprize.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | Let's not escape into mathematics. Let's stay with reality. -- _`\(,_ | Michael Crichton
(_)/ (_) |

Hrothgar <[email protected]> wrote:
: has anyone tried 'breaking' the 10t diff as 'recommended' by shimano? i prefer a 48/36/24 over
: 48/38/24. what will happen if i use a 36 in the middle instead of 38?

well, the biggest thing you'll notice is that you'll have to buy a new crank. the smallest chainring
a 130bcd (ultegra triple) crank can handle is 38t.
--

Hrothgar wrote:

> would like to change this to either 48/36/26 or 48/36/24 for the foll. reasons: 48/12 will still
> allow me to hammer to ~25mph in flats, and 26 (or 24) x 27 will give me enough to climb steep and
> long hills. I would like to train for some 'amateur' races in our area that include both flats and
> hills. the question is: what do i need to change in my bike to accomodate the setup that i wanted?
> 1. will replacing my crankset with an MTB crankset cause 'incompatibility' problems with my STI
> brifters? and with my FD?
> 2. what about changing the whole FD and crankset with MTB ones? will this be ok with my STI
> brifters? i won't mind spending 'some' money as long as i get the configuration that i wanted.
> any help would be appreciated.

I don't think your use of the term "mountain crank" is helpful. You're not wrong. It just isn't
helpful as the term is so nebulous.

Take a look at the Sugino XD crank at $69.95. A standard format is 26-36-48 and most dealers will
swap the 26 for a 24 for you if you wish. It uses a 113 symmetric square spindle BB such as the nice
Tange unit and would shift fine in your STi system. Being a classic 110/74 design, other rings are
plentiful and cheap should you wish to change your gearing later.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

hrothgarv-<< i have a road bike with a complete ultegra triple setup (52/42/30 and 12-27), STI
brifters. I would like to change this to either 48/36/26 or 48/36/24 >><BR><BR>

<< what do i need to change in my bike to accomodate the setup that i wanted? >><BR><BR>

MTB front ders are not compatible with road STI-get a crank and BB of 110mm bolt diameter, like a TA
or new Ritchey one..keep all the other stuff, adjust and ride, i think it will work fine.

Peter Chisholm Vecchio's Bicicletteria 1833 Pearl St. Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535 http://www.vecchios.com "Ruote convenzionali costruite eccezionalmente bene"

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> hrothgarv-<< i have a road bike with a complete ultegra triple setup
(52/42/30
> and 12-27), STI brifters. I would like to change this to either 48/36/26 or 48/36/24 >><BR><BR>
>
> << what do i need to change in my bike to accomodate the setup that i wanted? >><BR><BR>
>
> MTB front ders are not compatible with road STI-get a crank and BB of
110mm
> bolt diameter, like a TA or new Ritchey one..keep all the other stuff,
adjust
> and ride, i think it will work fine.
>
Ritchey makes a 110 mm bcd double or triple crank? I thought their current crop of cranks were
130mm bcd? I know Rivendell had supposedly the last batch of Sugino made Ritchey logic cranks with
110mm bcd.

> >
> Ritchey makes a 110 mm bcd double or triple crank? I thought their current crop of cranks were
> 130mm bcd? I know Rivendell had supposedly the last batch of Sugino made Ritchey logic cranks with
> 110mm bcd.
>
>

Been looking for this type of thing as well. The Ritchey Logic cranks are only in 175mm length at
Rivendell. Not a lot of choices out there in 110/74 bcd doubles & triples. TA has them, although the
Zephyer is now discountinued (but to be replaced with a new product that isn't available yet).
Stronglight has some, but they don't really have a presence in the USA. FSA has their "compact"
double at big $$$, but a less expensive aluminum version is on the way. Harris Cyclery has Sugino
XD600 & XD300 triples. There are still some mt bike cranks in 110/74 out there. Many only seem to be
sold in 175mm length. Raceface, although expensive, do still make some in 170mm length.

On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:26:01 +0000, rosco wrote:

>> Ritchey makes a 110 mm bcd double or triple crank? I thought their current crop of cranks were
>> 130mm bcd? I know Rivendell had supposedly the last batch of Sugino made Ritchey logic cranks
>> with 110mm bcd.
>>
> Been looking for this type of thing as well. The Ritchey Logic cranks are only in 175mm length at
> Rivendell.

They're not as scarce as all that. I think Rivendell tends to overstate the availability, for
their own benefit. From their site, you'd think no one still makes a steel butted frame other than
them, as well.

Sheldon Brown mentioned a 110mm double he has for sale. Nice looking, very good price. 110/74
triples are still quite commonly available, and again, at very good prices.

--

David L. Johnson

__o | A mathematician is a machine for turning coffee into theorems. _`\(,_ | -- Paul Erdos
(_)/ (_) |

>>Ritchey makes a 110 mm bcd double or triple crank? I thought their current crop of cranks were
>>130mm bcd? I know Rivendell had supposedly the last batch of Sugino made Ritchey logic cranks with
>>110mm bcd.
>>
>>
>
>
rosco wrote:
> Been looking for this type of thing as well. The Ritchey Logic cranks are only in 175mm length at
> Rivendell. Not a lot of choices out there in 110/74 bcd doubles & triples. TA has them, although
> the Zephyer is now discountinued (but to be replaced with a new product that isn't available yet).
> Stronglight has some, but they don't really have a presence in the USA. FSA has their "compact"
> double at big $$$, but a less expensive aluminum version is on the way. Harris Cyclery has Sugino
> XD600 & XD300 triples. There are still some mt bike cranks in 110/74 out there. Many only seem to
> be sold in 175mm length. Raceface, although expensive, do still make some in 170mm length.

We sell the XD in 170 and 175: http://www.yellowjersey.org/cranx.html

as do many LBS which service bicycles. It';s a common replacement crank because we can duplicate
virtually any ring combination.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"Qui si parla Campagnolo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> bfd-<< Ritchey makes a 110 mm bcd double or triple crank? I thought their current crop of cranks
> were 130mm bcd? >><BR><BR>
>
> New for 2004...
>
Excellent! I wonder if these *new* Ritchey 110bcd cranks will be made by Sugino?

> long hills.

let's see, a speed range of, say, 25-mph to 5-mph using 13 distinct gears (out of 27(?)), so a
1.5-mph change requires a shift because you're off power?!?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.