48/36/26 on road bike

news:<[email protected]>...
> On Sat, 25 Oct 2003 16:26:01 +0000, rosco wrote:
>
> >> Ritchey makes a 110 mm bcd double or triple crank? I thought their current crop of cranks were
> >> 130mm bcd? I know Rivendell had supposedly the last batch of Sugino made Ritchey logic cranks
> >> with 110mm bcd.
> >>
> > Been looking for this type of thing as well. The Ritchey Logic cranks are only in 175mm length
> > at Rivendell.
>
> They're not as scarce as all that. I think Rivendell tends to overstate the availability, for
> their own benefit. From their site, you'd think no one still makes a steel butted frame other than
> them, as well.
>
> Sheldon Brown mentioned a 110mm double he has for sale. Nice looking, very good price. 110/74
> triples are still quite commonly available, and again, at very good prices.

Agree, it appears that bot hFSA and Ritchey are coming out with aluminum 110 bcd double and triple
cranks for 04. Sheldon, Andy at Yellow Jersey and others have access to Sugino's excellent bargain
110/74 triple cranks and if you need to spend less, Dimension has chinese build 110 bcd crank arms
(no rings, bolts) available through QBP....

i use a double 50/34 with 10-speed 13-26 in the back. 12-27 9-speed is too widely spaced. if
you're going with a triple (especially with a 24 granny), you can get away with close-spaced
gearing in the rear.