4k pursit

That's one way. Bang, off the line, burn rubber, take no prisoners-all-out sprint right from the line. You should hear your cranks creaking with the strain and accumulating metal fatigue. If you don't **** blood afterwards it's a sign you didn't go hard enough. You'll completely crater at about 750M... as soon as your opponent notices and starts laughing so hard that he can't ride the bike straight you cleverly recover and ride the remaining distance just below anaerobic level.

You'll only get away with this once, so then you have to rely on controlled starts, negative or even splits, optimizing gearing and cadence to pace, and mental games with yourself and your opponents.

Cheers,

Hugh Jass

Originally posted by nitrogenmustard
is there any strategy in the pursuit-or do you accually just go as fast as you can?

There are four strategies for a pursuit (2,3 or 4k).

1. Go out hard and hang on (not recommended but a lot of riders try).

2. Run the splits evenly.

3. Start fast, settle moderately and build each kilo.

4. Mainly for a sprinter type. Leave enough petrol in the tank to come home fast over last three laps (250m lap).

You need to develop the strategy just right for you through experience and experimenting at training.

Find out your riding style.When I raced Pursuits I found out I had a slow start but picked up speed in the last 1500 meters.

At that time Pros did 5km and Ameaturs did 4km . Time were 5:20 were good now 4:15 ,WOW since I am coming back I have my work cut out.

Try the 4 points that Veloflash has given to see where you stand.

S/F,
CEYA!

It's going to be really easy to go otu hard but you have to restrain yourself. I do a 24 sec opening lap on a 250 and bydoing that I don't have to "float" the second or third lap. But really you just have to play with it and figure out what works for you.