4mm vs. 5 mm shifter housing

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Kbh, Feb 16, 2003.

  1. Kbh

    Kbh Guest

    Are there any situations in which either 4mm or 5mm shifter (compressionless) housing is preferable
    over the other? I didn't know that 5mm existed until my LBS sold me some.

    Kyle

    Tags:

  2. 5mm seems less draggy..i replace 4mm with 5mm all the time.

  3. Russell

    Russell Guest

    [email protected] (Qui si parla Campagnolo) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > 5mm seems less draggy..i replace 4mm with 5mm all the time.

    It probably is, especially when using it with Campy gear systems (needing the cables routed
    along the bars)

    I thing the only reason 4mm housing exists is to make bikes look lighter. There is no practical
    benefit to it, AFIAK. The really bad thing about 4mm housing is the crappy plastic end caps that are
    supplied with them. They're supposed to reduce friction, but in my experience all they manage to do
    is split apart after awhile. In know there are aftermarket 4mm aluminum caps made, but if I was
    going to that much trouble, I may as well just stay with 5mm housing!